Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Slammy posted:

Oh great, how does Holbrook explain this one??
Those Were the Days (September 11, 1952)

guy destroying his body for entertainment asking to be paid more, the horror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Doomykins posted:

LMAO this owns and is exactly why I defend Curtis. Also check out that dorg design and background detail in the same league as good Garfield.

Weird Curtis only works because it stands in contrast to the 95% of the time it's very by-the-book

That said, I genuinely laughed out loud at that penultimate panel. I especially like that there's no in-between panel, it's just jumping into his arms and then GONE

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

CommonShore posted:

It's one of the saddest things I've ever seen

Thel is, vaguely, aware that the children should be grown, and she should be old. That this 1950s landscape has existed for far longer than it has any right to. " Is this hell?" she wonders, " Am I dead and cursed to live this unchanging existence?"
The thoughts are slippery, though, and can never hold onto them for long.

Thel picks up the basketball, tosses it in the basket and goes inside to start dinner.

It's meatloaf night.

again.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Thel is, vaguely, aware that the children should be grown, and she should be old. That this 1950s landscape has existed for far longer than it has any right to. " Is this hell?" she wonders, " Am I dead and cursed to live this unchanging existence?"
The thoughts are slippery, though, and can never hold onto them for long.

Thel picks up the basketball, tosses it in the basket and goes inside to start dinner.

It's meatloaf night.

again.

Your attempt at making a canon hell of being a zombie comic strip is nowhere near as depressing as the all too plausible idea of being terrified of being seen and judged for doing something other than childcare and house chores.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I thought it was kinda cute honestly.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

rannum posted:

I thought it was kinda cute honestly.

same, really did not ping wrong for me

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'm saddened by the existence of basketball.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

There was a time when Thel would unleash the Chaos Dunk at a moment's notice, but this is a quiet time in a quiet land so she stays her hands another day.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Oh hey this week's the anniversary.

Mary Worth

OK now it's over, right? RIGHT?!?

The Phantom Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Flash Forward

The people they get doing these need to figure out a way to do one-shot comics. I'm finding this weekly "in the middle of the action" stuff annoying.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ikanreed posted:

Your attempt at making a canon hell of being a zombie comic strip is nowhere near as depressing as the all too plausible idea of being terrified of being seen and judged for doing something other than childcare and house chores.

It's like a sci-fi story where you don't fully realize you're dealing with a totalitarian dystopia until a character encounters something totally alien to them that the audience immediately recognizes as a common, everyday object.

As she tosses the orange globe at the hoop, she feels light, and a lost feeling from the distant past tickles the edges of her mind; has this happened before? Was this something she did on her own, before the Man Without Eyes took her as his thrall and put his seed in her belly?

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

Oh hey this week's the anniversary.

this is nice

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (August 24, 1991)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

The Phantom Phantom

The "doppelganger" is really just John X.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Oh my God, Pattersons, watch your drat baby.

:wtc:

I kind of hate this bookstore dude.

Only one Junk Drawer this week. :( At least it's a good one.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (August 24, 1991)

As borderline as Mukku's design is, at least he's characterized as a really good and intelligent individual. This rules.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Flash Forward

The people they get doing these need to figure out a way to do one-shot comics. I'm finding this weekly "in the middle of the action" stuff annoying.
At the very least they could have each person continue the last person's strip. Y'know, like an actual serial.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Green Intern posted:

As borderline as Mukku's design is, at least he's characterized as a really good and intelligent individual. This rules.

yeah, he seems like a cool guy so far

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

nishi koichi posted:

guy destroying his body for entertainment asking to be paid more, the horror
There's a lot to grumble about with how much money society pours into sports(usually subsidized by people who don't care about sports), but the players getting paid a lot is about the last thing to worry about there.

SubNat posted:

Moominposting

Existential chin dread.
I love all the panel borders. :allears:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Evil Mastermind posted:

At the very least they could have each person continue the last person's strip. Y'know, like an actual serial.
Yeah I think that would be really cool, but unless they want to make it like a game of telephone they'd need a writer to do the overarching story and It think the idea here is to not spend a lot on this.

A game of comics telephone could be fun though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Yeah I think that would be really cool, but unless they want to make it like a game of telephone they'd need a writer to do the overarching story and It think the idea here is to not spend a lot on this.

A game of comics telephone could be fun though.
You don't need an overarching plot, really. The Kamandi Challenge was basically every issue being written by a different person, and the only story requirements were that you had to end the issue with Kamandi in a deadly situation he couldn't escape from (which would be solved by the next writer at the start of their issue) and you had to come up with a way he escapes the deathtrap you wrote for him (to prove that you didn't just stonewall the next person). That kind of thing would probably work here, too. You just don't need to always end on a deathtrap.

The Dinette Set should be wearing a mask.

Working Daze has "long day" written all over it.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix gets in under the wire.

Cul De Sac plans ahead.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Hi thread! I’ve been reading this thread since at least 2006 (one of the reasons I eventually registered) and have mostly lurked the whole time. These threads are probably one of the most complete resources of comic strip history and evolution on the entire internet, and I have learned a crazy amount about many topics, not just this genre of art, because of the dedicated, funny (like really fuckin funny), and exhaustive contextual write ups and commentary from all you magnificent posters. I love this thread so drat much, in fact, that I think it’s time for me to start contributing!

Zits is, to quote Schulz, “the worst name for a comic strip since Peanuts.” The strip started in 1997, written by Baby Blues artist Jerry Scott and drawn by Jim Borgman. I’ll be posting out of the collection Humongous Zits, published in 2000. This is one of the strips that I remember debuting (my hometown paper always made a big deal of new strips coming in), and I immediately loved it. The art is (to this day, imo) lowkey very graceful and lovely, the gags are solid and never punch down, and the family dynamic is kind and funny.

I’ll be posting these as the book has them formatted, with each page having either three dailies or a Sunday. I’m using the library scanner and extremely limited photo editing, so please pardon any lovely images (and let me know how I can fix them if it’s bad!) So now, without further ado, Classic Zits! Starting with this gorgeous splash sequence that makes up the first six pages of the collection:

E: love that framed portrait of Eyeroll Jeremy in the upstairs hall.

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 19, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

This will sound unbelievable, but Zits used to be actually good

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Sorry about that, here's my comics

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Oct. 18th, 1940

And a big dose of Axa

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

My guess was 'the ambulance crew is fake because they didn't want to stop to help us! what do you mean that's not how ambulances work', but I guess this is close enough

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Welcome to the "share what you love" crew, Bibliotechno Music.

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (April 14, 1974)

Well poo poo, Of COURSE This Is What We Were Building Up To All Week

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Life (With Skippy) (April 2, 1925)

Elsewhere in the issue: Don Herold being relevant to something else we've been reading recently.

(Charles Forbell)

(Frank Hanley)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Hi thread! I’ve been reading this thread since at least 2008, and have mostly lurked the whole time. These threads are probably one of the most complete resources of comic strip history and evolution on the entire internet, and I have learned a crazy amount about many topics, not just this genre of art, because of the dedicated, funny (like really fuckin funny), and exhaustive contextual write ups and commentary from all you magnificent posters. I love this thread so drat much, in fact, that I think it’s time for me to start contributing!

Zits is, to quote Schulz, “the worst name for a comic strip since Peanuts.” The strip started in 1997, written by Baby Blues artist Jerry Scott and drawn by Jim Bergman. I’ll be posting out of the collection Humongous Zits, published in 2000. This is one of the strips that I remember debuting (my hometown paper always made a big deal of new strips coming in), and I immediately loved it. The art is (to this day, imo) lowkey very graceful and lovely, the gags are solid and never punch down, and the family dynamic is kind and funny.

I’ll be posting these as the book has them formatted, with each page having either three dailies or a Sunday. I’m using the library scanner and extremely limited photo editing, so please pardon any lovely images (and let me know how I can fix them if it’s bad!) So now, without further ado, Classic Zits! Starting with this gorgeous splash sequence that makes up the first six pages of the collection:

E: love that framed portrait of Eyeroll Jeremy in the upstairs hall.

This is cool, thank you! I definitely post Zits because of it was one of my favorites when I was a kid.

The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Batiuk really likes using Seniors dissociating as a metaphor for childlike wonder, doesn’t he?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Don't come for me like that, cat.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

I don't appreciate Q-rais calling me out like this.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
And that's the real reason I refuse to drink diet soda

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

I didn't even notice the "reduced fat" label at first; I thought it was referencing when you drink after overeating and everything swells and you regret every decision that led up to that moment.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

As incomprehensibly deep as the Boondocks gets into early aughts pop culture stuff this was the first one to totally lose me. Usually, as is seen in the second comic, enough context is given that you don't necessarily need to be familiar with the work in question to get the joke.

quote:

Popular Comics

I know this is supposed to read as racist but in the current foodie climate Terry and Pat there just come off like snooty assholes.

Johnny Walker posted:

Flash Forward

Personally I'm disappointed the Popeye's Cartoon Club people never tried that. It would have been a much better fit for the format, given that individual Popeye strips still have jokes in addition to continuity.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Some Guy TT posted:

As incomprehensibly deep as the Boondocks gets into early aughts pop culture stuff this was the first one to totally lose me. Usually, as is seen in the second comic, enough context is given that you don't necessarily need to be familiar with the work in question to get the joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeZZr_p6vB8

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

Only one Junk Drawer this week. :( At least it's a good one.