Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

In terms of all time classic Far Sides, this one has to be up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

howe_sam posted:

In terms of all time classic Far Sides, this one has to be up there.

If I'm remembering my Far Side book commentary correctly, he got a lot of angry letters about this one, but allegedly Goodall herself thought it was funny.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Bobulus posted:

If I'm remembering my Far Side book commentary correctly, he got a lot of angry letters about this one, but allegedly Goodall herself thought it was funny.
I believe there were lawyers involved, until someone actually bothered to ask Goodall about it, and she loved it. IIRC they put it on T-shirts and stuff to raise money for gorilla research.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Presto posted:

I believe there were lawyers involved, until someone actually bothered to ask Goodall about it, and she loved it. IIRC they put it on T-shirts and stuff to raise money for gorilla research.

Yes, the Jane Goodall Institute almost immediately contacted Larson and the syndicate and called the comic "an atrocity," threatening legal action. Goodall herself, meanwhile, was in the middle of a field expedition and didn't see the strip until sometime later when she returned from Africa. She liked it, dropped the Institute's objections and instead arranged an agreement to use it as a fundraising tool. Larson was invited to visit her in Tanzania just a year or two later (where he was promptly attacked by a chimp named Frodo.)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

JethroMcB posted:

Yes, the Jane Goodall Institute almost immediately contacted Larson and the syndicate and called the comic "an atrocity," threatening legal action. Goodall herself, meanwhile, was in the middle of a field expedition and didn't see the strip until sometime later when she returned from Africa. She liked it, dropped the Institute's objections and instead arranged an agreement to use it as a fundraising tool. Larson was invited to visit her in Tanzania just a year or two later (where he was promptly attacked by a chimp named Frodo.)

Goodall working the long con for revenge I see :hmmyes:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Haifisch posted:

Bonus: Dehumanize yourself and face to casserole.

(there are actual recipes below it but they take up half a drat page and I assume none of you are dying to make spinach & ham rollups)

I made the casserole.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Okay, I'll admit it: the "The Smythes" shirt with a picture of Flo from Andy Capp is clever.
I had to look it up to get it because her last name is Capp, but now I definitely want a Smythes tee.

F Minus

Mark Trail

If it's Dirty I'm gonna plotz.

Mary Worth

Finally! A new story!

Everyone's way too happy at this hospital.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Finally! A new story!

I wasn't paying attention and thought this was Rex Morgan at first. Silly me thinking modern Rex Morgan would ever feature an actual healthcare setting.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

But yeah, as a lot of you have mentioned, the custom dividers continue unabated, and remain wonderful.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 12, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

carrying a typewriter through the woods for Snorknaiden

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Finally! A new story!

That's because clinics have dogs and therapists.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Comic Strips 2021 - Interesting Mix of Ills!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

The Giant Bee is a reference to an old Scary Go Round story, the Great Tackleford Show.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

The Giant Bee is a reference to an old Scary Go Round story, the Great Tackleford Show.

Horticulture at its most "Lavish"

edit: holy hell is it difficult to find anything SGR related/why are image formats so complicated these days

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 12, 2021

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (September 11, 1952)

This is a weird one to see after listening to The Uncertain Hour's coverage of how minor league players don't get categorized as employees and therefore get no protections and paid garbage, all for the chance that they might someday get to play for the majors.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (June 29, 1991)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That's literally what you have to do though. Decades ago I worked at a Safeway and that's all we ever did. Wouldnt even bother to call the cops unless they attacked us(happened once). We did have inhouse security when i first started but they got layed off/let go.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The only thing "wrong" with it is panel 5. Stores don't avoid confrontation for fear of lawsuits, but because very few stores have anything small enough to shoplift and expensive enough to outweigh the cost of paying for an employee's injury or death.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What do you do someone tries walking out the door with a huge TV? Would that rise to actually calling the police? Just mark the time down and let surveillance cameras in the store and parking lot do the work?

If the guys at Lowe's aren't allowed to physically confront me, what If I show up to the riding mowers outside with bolt cutters and a can of gas and try driving one off?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Huxley posted:

What do you do someone tries walking out the door with a huge TV? Would that rise to actually calling the police? Just mark the time down and let surveillance cameras in the store and parking lot do the work?

If the guys at Lowe's aren't allowed to physically confront me, what If I show up to the riding mowers outside with bolt cutters and a can of gas and try driving one off?

Mostly they will just film you. They aren't supposed to follow you outside either and definitely not off the property.

That's policy, though. Someone will often try to be a hero for their employer.

When I worked for RadioShack back in the day, a store manager chased a shoplifter outside over a $50 TV remote and got stabbed and died

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

Flowers are beautiful, and smell nice.

Is that...is that an actual loving familial exchange--in a Dustin comic?

I honestly didn't think the writer of that strip knew that such a form of human interaction was even possible!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Some Guy TT posted:

Despite seeming to be a nostalgia strip due to the hybrid Asay/Kelly presentation I get the impression that we're not supposed to always interpret the old days as being better. It just seems like that because we're not used to seeing the format used in any other way.

Maybe, but the baseball one definitely is supposed to be "Those drat kids these days are so unreasonable!" That's why the dude in the second panel is like "But you're only 16 and don't have any real experience," it's to show that the kid is being too greedy and demanding whereas in those good ol' days the kid just wanted to play because he loved the game by golly.

I now love Richard Thompson even more because he apparently was one of the few people in the world who would have immediately spelled my name correctly.

The Bloop posted:

When I worked for RadioShack back in the day, a store manager chased a shoplifter outside over a $50 TV remote and got stabbed and died

Dying to make sure a corporation didn't lose a few hundredths of a cent in pocket change of profit. An American hero. :911:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Lychnis posted:

Is that...is that an actual loving familial exchange--in a Dustin comic?

I honestly didn't think the writer of that strip knew that such a form of human interaction was even possible!
It's the sister. She's acceptable.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Which one of you was this?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I don't know if any of us would've given Comics Curmudgeon sole credit on the invention of ironically liking jackel rod.

Unless you mean who outed him as a sexual harasser on twitter and got him fired - that was Vargo.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

This is extremely weird to see off of this site.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Thank god we have a new Mary Worth storyline! Is it just me, or does the art look kinda weird on these new characters? The artist may have forgotten how to draw anything but Saul, Eve, traumatizing business suits, and dogs.

Also lol@ Moominpapa being too high to function after hitting that pipe.

E: Jane Goodall wrote the foreword for one of the big Far Side collections, apparently she and Larson developed a friendship after the fact even though she sicced a chimp on him!

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 12, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Also lol@ Moominpapa being too high to function after hitting that pipe.

it is not Moominpappa, but Moomin, who is choomin

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SubNat posted:

Moominposting
Does sharing a pipe like that count as an indirect kiss? :3:

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 10, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (Sep. 10, 1944)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Oct. 19th, 1940

Axa

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
How many times has Axa found a "beautiful untouched" location, only to promptly get captured/attacked/nearly eaten? Hope springs eternal, i guess...

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I'm getting a powerful Inigo Montoya vibe.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set asks a valid question.

Working Daze starts of the week with a lazy one.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is so relatable!

Cul De Sac believes it, and that's all that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma