Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
What the gently caress, Anja.

Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Oct. 20th, 1940

Axa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Finally we've ditched Dirk. I'm looking forward to a new terrible boyfriend next strip.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Green Intern posted:

Hey Anja what the gently caress.

Terrible. Just terrible.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

LazyQ is right, this era is suffering hard for focusing on the worst people in town.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (September 25, 1952)

I know the narrator’s question is rhetorical, but I’m pretty sure the last decade has proven that the answer is definitively “minorities.”

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

skeleton warrior posted:

I know the narrator’s question is rhetorical, but I’m pretty sure the last decade has proven that the answer is definitively “minorities.”

Based on 50's culture I have encountered primarily via MST3K, the two scariest things to the Average American in the 1950's were The Bomb and Teen-Agers, and not necessarily in that order.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Arlo and Janis-- still good.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
What kind of a name is "Deer"? Couldn't they have translated it, or at least come up with something vaguely Egyptian? Not that Egypt is anything but the prologue.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It could be a nod to Ibis the Invincible, a Mandrake-like guy who is in ancient Egypt and has to undergo suspended animation so that he can fight crime in the distant exotic future of the 1940s.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Selachian posted:

Deathless Deer 11/12-14/42

Thanks for posting this - I've never heard of it and I'm looking forward to reading it!

And He Did! (October 16, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 13, 1918)

Banana Oil! (February 13, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (May 29, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (October 28, 1935)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chautauqua#Circuit_Chautauquas

Mopsy (December 26, 1936)

Dark Laughter (October 30, 1943)

Those Were the Days (October 2, 1952)

Dinky Fellas (July 19, 1965)

Wee Pals (July 19, 1965)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Selachian posted:

So, my posts here are long enough already, but there's another strip I've become fascinated by -- mostly because of the unusual pedigree of its creators.

Alicia Patterson Guggenheim, of the Yes-Those-Guggenheims, came from newspaper royalty -- her great-grandfather was managing editor of the Chicago Tribune, and her father founded the New York Daily News. She would eventually go on to found Long Island's Newsday.

Neysa McMein was already famous as a magazine and commercial illustrator and portrait painter. She was also a leading light in the New York social scene -- she hung out with the Algonquin Round Table crowd, her studio was a meeting place for celebrities, and she was a world-class party host.

And in 1942 they got together and created Deathless Deer, which ran in the Daily News.

Deathless Deer 11/9-11/42

Oh my. This strip is legendary...for reasons that go a little bit beyond the creator pedigrees. :allears:

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (September 12-13, 1933)

Peanuts (April 15-16, 1974)

The Terrible Tempered Mr. Dinkle

Crankshaft commiserates over the end of that plague that nobody actually went through in "Crankshaft".

This is what it feels like to get hit by the Mandela Effect.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 11-12, 1937)

Out Our Way (June 8-10, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (June 21-23, 1917)

Dok's "Give The Little Jerk His Shells Back Already!" Duck (July 25, 1913)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (June 13, 1918)

Sure would help if there was some kind of union watching out for working class people, huh, everett?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (October 2, 1952)

:thunk:

No Nancy from me tomorrow but the 15th will be a Very Special Episode.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

EasyEW posted:

The Terrible Tempered Mr. Dinkle

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat. gently caress this prick.

quote:

Thimble Theater (November 11-12, 1937)

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat. Love the old bastard.

Edit: I didn't want to comment on Crankshaft, but it's bothering me, so gently caress you, Batiuk, just... gently caress off.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

In regards to Funk: so, uh, don't churches collect alms and poo poo for upkeep of the building and its facilities and programs, and wouldn't the choir fall under that?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Oh boy, can't wait to find out how this new place is terrible and filled with murderous assholes.

God, just fire this rear end in a top hat already. Someone who gets mad that people dare to not know his exploits as band director 50+ years ago should not be in charge of anything.

Hostile V posted:

In regards to Funk: so, uh, don't churches collect alms and poo poo for upkeep of the building and its facilities and programs, and wouldn't the choir fall under that?

Yeah, it does, but once again Batiuk hasn't put any basic research into what he's putting in his comic.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

She hired a drat harpist? I have no idea how much an evening of fancy harpistry goes for, but Tiff remembers she's only getting paid $300, right?

So help me, if the "punchline" to this storyline is "After all the expenses, I'm fifty bucks in the hole! *wah* *wah*," I'll... well, I probably won't do anything. But it'll be annoying.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Gunther looks amused so I assume it’s gonna be a hissy fight between them for absolutely no reason.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Aug 21, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 6-7, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (July 13, 1991)

loving capitalists.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mikl posted:

What ever the gently caress, lady? I mean, I already knew you were a so-so parent, but. Holy poo poo.

Your child is missing. Literally, as far as you know, no one knows where he is. He might be in trouble. He might have fallen down a well, or be lost in the woods, or gotten run over by a car, or whatever. And you're just leaving? You're just leaving??? "Oh I'm gonna miss my plane" THE PLANE YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO TAKE WITH YOUR CHILD. THAT PLANE. YOU'RE LEAVING ON YOUR OWN. WITHOUT KNOWING IF YOUR CHILD IS ALRIGHT.

Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo.

e. No joke, I'm legit upset right now. Unironically super mad at Anja. What the gently caress?

I'm thinking it's the one good thing she did, she's a horrible person with horrible values, mikko knows it too. At least now he gets to spend time with some decent people.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

PetraCore posted:

Yeah but to be fair Mikko is like, what, 3 years old? I guess maybe 4-5 if school is being talked about? Sari isn't much older, Mikko could have very easily picked a horrible and dangerous hiding spot.

School begins at 7 in Finland, of course in other countries they force kids into school even earlier which is pretty horrible IMO.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

amigolupus posted:

I agree that Anja's being a terrible mother, but I'm just as :wtc:-ing at Sulo and Anni being just as horrible here. They see where Mikko's hiding and their first thought is to be happy they can keep him for a while longer, not immediately return him to the distraught mother. gently caress, Anja hasn't been gone for more than a few minutes, they could still totally catch her if they want to. I don't know if the characters were always meant to be flawed or not, but this slide to misery has painted a lot of previously charming characters into huge jerks.

They didn't know, only Sari knew.

poo poo I coulda put all this into one post. But man that mämmila pissed me off.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 14, 2021

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm stealing that punchline.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

The Ghost Who Keeps A Special Backdrop For Zoom Meetings So People Don't Know He Lives In A Cave

The Ghost That Doesn't Know How To Use Zoom.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
In a book with a copywrite date of 1927, I found a 4 page pamphlet for a costume rental store in St. Louis. Looking over the lists, I found two entries that I recognized.

Buster Brown and Happy Hooligan. Unfortunately, there are no pictures, just lines of texts. I also am not posting actual pictures of it in here, as given the time period (1920s-1930s?) there is *ahem* not quite kosher costume titles in there.

Here is the front page though.

Sometimes you can't date something directly, it is both fun, and irritating to try and date something from indirect means.

quote:

The comic strip began in the New York Herald on May 4, 1902. Outcault left for William Randolph Hearst's employ in January 1906, and after a court battle, Outcault continued his strip, now nameless, in Hearst papers, while the Herald continued their own version of Buster Brown with other artists. The latter lasted until January 1911, and Outcault's version until May 13, 1923

I had been wondering if the pamphlet was older than the book itself. Considering It lists Buster and Happy, that sets a max age. Happy Hooligan started in 1900, and ended 1932.

21-year old dwarf actor "Master Gabriel" plays the title role of Buster Brown, with George Ali as Tige, in the 1905 Broadway production.

Edit: It has a "Panhandle Pete" costume, and that guy was active in the 1930s and 40s.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 14, 2021

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (September 25 - October 1, 2000)

(This is embezzling, and is illegal.)

e.: changed the date because September doesn't have 31 days. Sorry.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 14, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

In another episode of " Holbrook doesn't think things through" we have Lindsfarne having a child expose herself to strangers.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

His Divine Shadow posted:

They didn't know, only Sari knew.

poo poo I coulda put all this into one post. But man that mämmila pissed me off.

I meant that while they didn't knew that Mikko ran away or where he hid himself, their first reaction after seeing him wasn't "oh poo poo, this is where he was! we better get in the car and go after his mom!", it was "Awww, we can have a son for another month!" Sari popped open the trunk as soon as Anja went away, so it's not like Sulo couldn't give chase if he really wanted to. The way they reacted to this mess by being happy for themselves just rubbed me the wrong way.

Always be voting, you jerks.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I really like Tomboy Taylor. They remind me of that one picture by Norman Rockwell of that girl being sent to the principal's office.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 4, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 4, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 4, 1989)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Arlo & Janice manages to thread the needle between lovely and pure with horny on main and I love it for it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/13/01

Brenda Starr 4/8-10/46

Smokey Stover 7/14/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 4, 1999)

On shallow straw, in shadeless glass,
Huddled by empty bowls, they sleep:
No dark, no dam, no earth, no grass -
Mam, get us one of them to keep.

Living toys are something novel,
But it soon wears off somehow.
Fetch the shoebox, fetch the shovel -
Mam, we're playing funerals now.

:)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Author Unknown? Do What Thou Whillst

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad Site
Steeple Website
My Author Unknown? Guide Password is TheOther

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell (September 25-31, 2000)

(This is embezzling, and is illegal only bad when someone other than our protagonists/family members indulge in/profit from it.)

Moominposting

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Deathless Deer 11/12-14/42

How does the falcon keep his little crown on?

This is a pretty weird adaptation of Yu Gi Oh.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

This is like, a good understanding of cat psychology. You should never let your cat sleep in the laundry basket, they are far too dumb to figure out you're cool with it unless it's filled w/ folded, clean stuff.