Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ5-jVQOCUg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Good Listener posted:

WTF is this comic saying?

There's prey that are always hiding indoors from predators, we can get to them now with this business acquisition. :chef:

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

For Better or For Worse, or FOOB as it is more commonly known here from some line in the last few years of the strip. Lynn Johnston, 1979-2008 was the original run. New "reruns" (Lynn rewriting and doing some redrawing) began mid 2010. This thread started out as a critique of Foob if memory serves, in the twilight years of the original run. Lynn is an, interesting woman. And not well regarded for a number of reasons.

I will say this much about FOOB: few other strips have offered such ...overly-well-communicated imagery for smelly disgusting objects. The combination of wavering stank fumes, flying dirt particles, and spraying ambiguous droplets always has and always will make me feel just a little sick looking at them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

feeling a little sick from looking at FOOB is quite common

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (December 20, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (February 14, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (October 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (January 29, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (July 2, 1935)

Dark Laughter (April 22, 1939)

“Sure is funny, Bootsie, but you wuz’nt all messed up like this ‘till after the night when them radio news flashes said war was expected any time.”

Mopsy Sunday (September 15, 1946)

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (March 18, 1950)

“You betcha I’m MAD … That smart Alex MICKY O’SHANNON starts snickerin’ at l’il ol’ brown ME wearin’ St. Patrick trimmin’s an’ I hadda use my AFRICAN and INDIAN warfare to defend my IRISH!”

Dinky Fellas (March 24, 1965)

Wee Pals (March 24, 1965)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F-Minus

I knew it!

Mark Trail

For the manatees!

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"The lab called. They can't test your blood because it's literally all sugar."

Apartment 3-G

2021 remains Andertoons-less so far. :(

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Slammy posted:

Wee Pals (March 24, 1965)

gently caress

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Drakyn posted:

I will say this much about FOOB: few other strips have offered such ...overly-well-communicated imagery for smelly disgusting objects. The combination of wavering stank fumes, flying dirt particles, and spraying ambiguous droplets always has and always will make me feel just a little sick looking at them.

Zelda is really good at this, too.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

For the manatees!

holy poo poo, yes

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo was I supposed to introduce the comics for the new thread?

Crabgrass Is a comic by the same guy that did A Problem Like Jamal (also fantastic). It's a slice of life strip about blood brothers Miles and Kevin and their daily adventures. While not as overtly political as APLJ it's definitely not afraid to deal with awkward subjects. It is the second best comic in the thread behind Wallace the Brave.

If you enjoy it please consider supporting Tauhid's Patreon here. There's a Patreon-only comic called The Teen Years where you can see what the boys are up to in high school which I highly recommend:

Old School Peanuts is like Peanuts but Old School. It's about a group of lab-grown superchildren (and one superdog) who's mangled DNA has granted them incredible talents and intelligence but rendered them unable to age. It follows narcissistic preschool dipshit Charlie Brown and his rear end in a top hat friends as they live their lives and are generally terrible to each other. It is infinitely better than the more modern versions of the strip.
(May 21, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes is about a lonely boy named Calvin and his struggles with mental illness. He is joined by his magical tiger friend Hobbes who, despite popular misconceptions, is absolutely real and has taken at least one life. I am legitimately not sure why he hasn't been taken to a therapist yet.

(Oct 4-5, 1988)

Robbie and Bobby is by the same guy who makes My Dad is Dracula. As you might guess it's about a boy named Bobby and his adoptive father Robbie. Beyond that it's... kind of hard to describe? Just read it okay it's pretty funny. It's normally a gag-a-day affair but right now it's doing some kind of ongoing storyline.

(Apr 9, 2018)

(Apr 11, 2018)

You can support Jason's Patreon here. He's been posting new My Dad is Draculas there which I should really get around to posting sometime.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 2, 2021

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Is this the first punch of New Mark Trail? I’m a fan!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

Rae the Doe's web archives

Musical

Plans

You can support Rae the Doe by pledging to the author's Patreon!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"The lab called. They can't test your blood because it's literally all sugar."

Very on-brand for Buck to have a guy burping as his ringtone.

Luann is a full-time student with two jobs. When will she find time for any of this? (Granted, it's possible that the Evanses forgot about one or both of Luann's jobs.)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

riderchop posted:

Rae the Doe's web archives

Musical
It's even worse than that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3aK-EK5V2k

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

I don't know why I like this so much but I do.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i wish billingsley had more chances to stretch his artistic legs, he’s a great cartoonist

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
There's something very fitting about the first punch of Jules Rivera's tenure at Mark Trail is his own father. Symbolic, really.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Fighting Trousers posted:

There's something very fitting about the first punch of Jules Rivera's tenure at Mark Trail is his own father. Symbolic, really.

he doesn't even have a beard!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Slammy posted:

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (March 18, 1950)

“You betcha I’m MAD … That smart Alex MICKY O’SHANNON starts snickerin’ at l’il ol’ brown ME wearin’ St. Patrick trimmin’s an’ I hadda use my AFRICAN and INDIAN warfare to defend my IRISH!”

Oh poo poo, she really is a leprechaun!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

For the manatees!
I like the exclamation point on Mark's dad's cheek.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Is that a Gogol reference?

The Shadow Jul. 10th, 1940

Axa

Jason's not... awful? Oh well, I assume he'll give me reason to want him dead soon enough.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
and then Mark train immediately hit a manatee and exploded.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

Sick burn on Ulysses S. Grant!

Both of the other names on the last row are men who work for the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

riderchop posted:

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

Every time I see this, I'm amazed it's been a whole week again. Objectively, I know it's Saturday, but also it feels like I had this exact same thought 2 or 3 days ago.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

LvK posted:

And They Did!

Can somebody do the ol' Red 'n' Rover for me?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

In this installment of The Timid Soul (December 11, 1933), look at the detail on that car. That is gorgeous. You can almost read the license plate. And look at all that garage equipment.

(Do garages offer you the option of staying in your car during the process?)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

gleebster posted:

He got laid.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

MariusLecter posted:

He got laid.

And, to be more clear, that's an edit: panels 1 and 2 are from different strips.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1978 Spiderman

Reminder that the NSM thread is posting this incredible storyline:

Johnny Walker posted:

This is like an all-time top 5 storyline I'm so glad I went back for this.

1978 Comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

gleebster posted:

One And He Did! ended with that second panel, so it was edited into this one for comedy.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Mr. Boop

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

i'm glad Mr. Boop has found love, haha!

kinda weird he said the wrong name, though, hope he's cognizant of this and betters himself over time

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (January 5, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 "Oh, Please Don't Toy With My Emotions Like This" Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, in which we wait for dawn to break over Marblehead. (August 4, 1937)

Out Our Way (November 21-23, 1935)

Toonerville Folks (December 30-31, 1916 and (checks notes) January 5, 1917. My source may be skipping a lot of panels at this point.)

Dok's "A Squirt Squirted" Duck (May 28, 1913)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

this dog looks like a bovine

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sweeperbravo posted:

this dog looks like a bovine

his pirate dad got it for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Slammy posted:

And He Did! (December 20, 1917)

Oh, that's an interesting detail - she wishes he'd have it shaved off, not shave it off.