Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann, written by Greg Evans (and co-written by his daughter Karen as of 2012), is a mish-mash between gag-a-day and soap strip that began syndication in 1985. In the beginning it was a school-life strip that centered around middle school student Luann DeGroot. Though the characters in this strip generally don't age, they were eventually allowed to move on to high school around 1999ish. Luann and the gang were finally allowed to graduate high school and move on to college in 2014.

In theory, allowing Luann to grow older and graduate into this new stage of life should have opened many new opportunities for young-adult storylines and character development. In practice, though Luann and her pals are all in college, they still all think and behave exactly like middle schoolers.

There's not really a storyline to summarize right now as this week Luann and her best friend (?) Bernice are just yip yapping about the new year. All you really need to know if you're new is that Team Evans are terrible at figuring out what makes a character likeable or relatable, so most of the characters you are supposed to like are execrable, and the ones you are supposed to hate are usually not that bad. Note Bernice today eye-rolling and judging her friend's insufficient gumption. We're supposed to agree!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"The lab called. They can't test your blood because it's literally all sugar."

Very on-brand for Buck to have a guy burping as his ringtone.

Luann is a full-time student with two jobs. When will she find time for any of this? (Granted, it's possible that the Evanses forgot about one or both of Luann's jobs.)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann does have a Sunday strip, but I don't post it here partly because it almost never follows the story continuity and also partly because I don't want to. (If anybody has a strong feeling like this thread needs more Luann and wants to post the Sundays, feel free.)

Instead, every Sunday I post Junk Drawer, a one-panel gag strip by Ellis Rosen. Not much to say about it, other than I like it. It generally runs three days a week, though the last few weeks it's been fewer (presumably for holiday-related reasons). This week, we get two:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

For any of you just coming in, this is Jack/Jock. He was initially a one-note Dumb Jock character, but eventually grew into a sort-of love interest for Luann. They even went on a few dates. Team Evans are working on retconning him as never having been a sort-of love interest for Luann and are hoping we all forget about those dates. I don't think it's going to work out, though. Just look at today. How many more ways can Jock say, "Hey, Luann, please look at my dick."

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

What, you don't wear a sensible blazer over a turtleneck when you go to the dog park?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hopefully this helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaunpgFlL9Q

Ew! A young woman has found herself attracted to an athletic man her age! She is right to be embarrassed about this shameful display!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

We talk about how the young adult characters in Luann have a middle-school level of sexuality. But even as a sheltered super-churchy middle schooler, I was capable of saying to my friends, "Don't you think Jason is cute? I think Jason is cute. I have such a crush on Jason." I would never in a million years have confessed my feelings to Jason, but that's a different issue.

Bernice isn't even able to admit TO HER LIFELONG BEST FRIEND that she is attracted to a boy. I know it's a cliche that psych majors need the most therapy, but yeesh.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Kennel posted:

Apparently Dustin is a member in Big Brother program. I couldn't find a first hand source, but google has some hits for that in various comments.

Also learned that Hayden is named after Kelley's son.

If this is true, it makes it even more disgusting that Ed occasionally shits on Dustin for being friends with this kid and cites it as evidence that Dustin won't grow up.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Dr. Giles, you damned pain in the rear end

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

We've all known for some time that Brooke loves loves LOVES when his characters get to gently caress in front of a live audience.

I hate that he apparently considers small children to be an acceptable audience.

Okay, and? Yeah, they're birthday candles, I get it, what a stupid useless idiot. But also, this isn't even her house. And also, she's six.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Maybe it's just because I live in an area that is subject to rolling blackouts (and the occasional storm knocking down power lines), but I have flashlights around? And a couple of portable lanterns? Then again, they allegedly live in California, so they should be prepared for blackouts, too.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

A ton of people don't have emergency stuff on hand even if they ought to. (myself included - the closest thing I have to a flashlight is my phone and maybe some lovely tiny flashlight keychain I got from work. but I can bumble around my apartment just fine in the dark & I can't think of a power outage I've experienced that lasted more than ~10 minutes, so fixing that hasn't really been a priority)

Although the people who don't have a flashlight on hand are not going to be the people who have an emergency radio/light on hand, so :shrug: on that front.

Thanks to bad weather or, more often, the whims of my power company, I can lose power for days at a time. Sometimes if PG&E is feeling generous they'll turn the power back on for a few hours in the evening so people can shower and then cut it off again. It sucks as much as you would think it does!

Actually the key here is don't open your loving freezer. Or your fridge. Don't let that warm air in. Not if you have anything you really need kept cold, anyway. But if the fudgy bars really are the most perishable/important thing in there, go nuts, I guess. (No hate here, though. I'm glad they're being nice to each other. I wonder where Bernice is. Maybe she's loving dead.)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm

I can't believe Grimm is loving dead

*heavy sigh*

Like this storyline had a couple of days of not being too bad. The family being nice to each other and all. But enough of that, time to poo poo on Tiff who had a very long story arc about having to downsize her lifestyle thanks to financial abuse from her dad's girlfriend. Tiff knows how to exist without a hot tub. But whatever. lol rich girl cares about her hair lol

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slammy posted:

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (January 26, 1952)

“Course it’s nice if you c’n REMEMBER, but I sometimes get the nasty suspicion that things were NEVER what they used to be!”

That leprechaun knows what's up.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hey, Beric, you feel like a big man making little disabled kids cry?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

We all get a little bit overdramatic in a lengthy power outage. It's fine.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days

This was a weekly feature - and could have been named “drat kids!”. I must have a thing for comics that repeat the same line every day (And He Did, They’ll Do It Every Time, Them Days is Gone Forever, etc). Here that line is “But now - WOW!”

(January 11, 1951)

(January 18, 1951)

(January 25, 1951)

The ref in this one cracks me up.

All that's missing is a crying Lady Liberty in the corner.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Obviously it was never how Addams intended it to be read, but this punchline is really enhanced by scrolling down the image the way we do.

Alhazred posted:

The Good Innvandrer

Cultural context question: Has she actually been randomly selected, or was she "randomly selected" the same way we do with brown people here in the US?

Dang, Marla, he's being completely polite to you. No need to get snotty just because you have a different idea of what constitutes strange than he does.

I like Ox. And Tiffany. Hopefully they both get some action out of this.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Sure, Ox. Tiff's a hip 90's teen, I'm sure she's seen the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

As far as I know, the family has two vehicles. One is Ellie's crappy unreliable family car and the other is Jon's fancy expensive flashy impractical sports car. What's she expecting the kid to learn on? (I feel like if professional driving lessons were an option, he'd have mentioned it. Also, as much as I generally find Ellie to be unpleasant and overly naggy, I feel like she could justifiably be bitching a lot more about the car disparity.)

I mean, she was clearly losing her poo poo, so yeah?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Axa is only set like a hundred years in the future, right? Didn't they say that? It seems like a LOT of evolution has gone on in one human lifespan. Huh. Radiation, I guess.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

I'm hopeful she's figuring things out and things will get better, but judging from Twitter she doesn't take criticism well so I don't know. But she was doing that thing where she switched narratives weekly and that looks like it's stopped for now, so maybe she's just trying different things.

Generally speaking, I do think this is an improvement over James Allen.

Things are actually happening. There is a plot. This alone makes it way better than whatever Jam was doing, not that that's saying a lot.

I'm still withholding my judgment about the strip outside of comparisons to Jam's version. I'm interested; I'll give it that at least.

This strip sucks though:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Yeesh, I don't know how long it's been in reality (nor will I check), but I feel like Mary's been yammering on about her smoked salmon from Freda's Market for ages. It's like while we were watching Saul walk his dog, she was a part of some intense smoked salmon related plotline that we weren't made privy to and maybe she even saved Freda's from closing down and she is now taking a Mary Worth Victory Lap that we have no context for and that Saul is intruding upon.

Ah well, I guess the old girl is entitled to have her own life outside of the strip.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The answer will be infinitely more boring than whatever you're thinking of

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

9 Chickweed Legs

Brooke, it's January, you dunce.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

"YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL"
"HONEY, THERE IS NOT MUCH THOSE JEANS CAN DO BECAUSE YOU ARE ALREADY THIN."
"I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT FASHION, BUT I DO KNOW THAT YOU LOOK FANTASTIC."

Of course, if you don't think she looks great in those jeans, it's safe to tell her they don't flatter her. And if you think she looks like a dump truck in general, please do look in a mirror sometime. It is such an easy question to answer, you doofus.

Bernice is allegedly Luann's best friend. If Luann is having a romantic rendezvous (she is absolutely not), then that is prime material for telling your best friend. But these two aren't even willing to talk to each other when they have a crush. It's sad.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

All of you wear shirts all the time

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Not enjoying the last few weeks of the Phantom just sitting and watching approvingly while a cop beats the hell out of two unarmed suspects. Yes, we who read this thing obsessively know that what these guys did to the cop was horrific. But that was months ago and lots of people probably just dip in and out.

Also, even if the criminals are terrible, we shouldn't encourage cops to mete out their own justice. That's what the courts are for.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

She has the right number of bottom teeth. That's gotta be worth something.

She never got those wisdoms out, I see. Of course, it's not like her dentist could claim she doesn't have room for them.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

So clearly Luann kept it quiet because Tara asked her to, so good for her. Not sure why the need for absolute secrecy, though. They're all adults, so it's not crazy for one to crash at another's home on a school night. Sure, Bernice will be a judgy rear end in a top hat about it, but she's going to be that no matter what you do.

ETA: Never mind. I thought about it for two seconds, and yeah. Bernice is going to be a judgy nosy rear end in a top hat about it, and who wants to explain their whole sordid life story to loving Bernice? Nobody, that's who. (She will be an incredibly unsuccessful shrink one day.) So yeah, keeping it quiet was likely a good move.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 2, 2021

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Don't say braingasm.

The GC Commentariat, deciding to be useful for once, are pointing out that Bernice is actually innocent of these charges. She was instead trying to rat out the boy she liked:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

There are so many ways that this could go wrong.