Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I look forward to reading Mr. Boop along with this thread.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise has six adventures left, friends. Let's enjoy them while we can!

Episode 91: "Children of Lucifer"

https://transmodiar.imgur.com/all/

I also look forward to this Satanic Panic Modesty Blaze! Notice how the story is ostensibly set in California, but the steering wheel is on the wrong side of that landrover (or else it's a British import for some reason)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Haifisch posted:

And She Dyed!

:D

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Zereth posted:

... :confused: what did he die of?

I still appreciate whichever one of you joked "drinking water on a Tuesday while facing east".

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Parahexavoctal posted:

In this installment of The Timid Soul (January 25, 1937), look at the buildings outside the window, look at the head of the match in Caspar's hand, and as always, look at the reflections beneath Caspar's feet.

Also, the concept that the building's sprinkler system is new. When were they first introduced? By 1937, they were common enough that Webster could reasonably anticipate his readership to understand...

They've been in use in the US since 1874. I'm not sure when they became common in office buildings, but I imagine it was sometime around the turn of the century.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Sure, let's invade a foreign country because some dude we don't know the identity of said so. Whupwhup!

killing-of-osama-bin-laden.txt

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Jules Rivera was just complaining on Twitter that people were reaching out to her to point out that Pangolins are also armored mammals.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Joseph Hazelwood was the captain of the Exxon Valdez when it struck Bligh Reef off the coast of Alaska and spilled 11 million gallons of oil into Prince William Sound in 1989.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Hazelwood

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 18, 2021

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

This one has always been the epitome of Far Side in my eyes.

Johnny Walker posted:

F Minus

Too big for a perfect box. It'll be too heavy to move if you fill it. Unless you fill it with pillows or something, maybe.

Counterpoint: I got a bunch of free Gaylord boxes once for moving a shared workshop. They were like 48" in all three directions, and they fit perfectly onto scavenged pallets and slid right into the back of a truck.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Mikl posted:

"You will literally die if you don't get your diet under control."
"Eeeeeeeehhhh I can have one more though, right? Right?"

loving hell :cripes:

Overeating can be an addiction. Unlike hard drugs, you can't just not eat again. You gotta take a little every day. But even though your brain is wired to want more, you have to know the arbitrary stopping point!

EasyEW posted:

This is where I usually call for some cloud gazing, but it just occurred to me that Brooke's laughing mouths remind me of the thylacine. So instead: what other animals do Edda's open mouth remind you of? Because if your answer's "human", you're lying.

She has the right number of bottom teeth. That's gotta be worth something.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm still disappointed that nothing happened between Ted Tinkerson and that FBI agent who really wanted chicken wings.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

Foobhaha child abuse :smith:

I know Foob is usually terrible, but this one is unusually funny (if you just roll with the slapstick).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Brewster Rockit has always bugged the hell out of me

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Did True just spear through that guy with the tip of his umbrella? :stare:

The handle is hook-shaped. True is holding the tip.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I hope the mice are knowingly participating in Garfield's kink.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

Panel 1 Mark is really well proportioned and inked, likely traced but I'm hoping to see more effort like this honestly like it's not evne a lazy trace

:geno:

That's ... that's it? We look for him for 4 days and here he is good we can go home?

Also wasn't that dog way bigger? He looks almost the same size as Greata here, i thought he was meant to be a mid-large size dog

Max should be a larger dog, but he's been drawn small for the last few weeks. Who knows?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Right, but my point is that there's no way that car was going fast enough to flip her up in the air to the point where her leg is comedically sticking out to then be deposited to the side.

This was avoidable, is what I'm saying.

My highschool girlfriend hit me from that distance in a minivan (it was an accident). Cars go faster than you might think. Tara probably didn't go up and over, but she very likely could have flopped onto the hood and then ragdolled off to the side.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 7, 2021

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

I'm not one to defend Fastrack often, but internal recommendations are a really good source for job applicants. And if Dethany can get Trellis to agree to a hybrid office/remote work environment, that will be a good cultural shift for the company. I don't think there's anything wrong with Dethany recommending her friend for the role.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

I was going to complain about bad zoology in Kevin and Kell again, but instead:

First, "abacus school" just strikes me as a funny turn of phrase. Not, you know, math class, but abacus school. Second, like the non time travelling kids aren't going to make faces on their abacuses either.

Maybe it's remedial abacus for people who grew up without them

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I just want to throw in my $0.02 that I'm enjoying the Circus Windows story. It doesn't all have to be pixies and wendigos, sometimes it can just be weird clowns and advertisements.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The first word I got was "May". That'll define 1/12 of my 2021.

Prescient.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 27, 2021

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

My house was made in the late 80s and I have a laundry chute under my master bathroom sink. It’s not very useful. Sooner or later I’m gonna alter it to be a safe at the top and shelving at the bottom.

The house I grew up in (50s construction, maybe?) had a laundry chute from the upstairs to the basement. It wasn't terribly useful. I think we mostly just carried baskets of dirty clothes down the stairs (or shoved them, and they hopefully slid down like a sled rather than tumbling and spilling clothes everywhere).

The laundry chute came in handy when, as a teenager, I used it to run ethernet from my bedroom down to the DSL modem.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

I'm actually enjoying how absurd Kevin's Very Bad Day is becoming.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Finally, Beatty gets down to the business of drawing unmitigated smut!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

EBB posted:

Yet another one that stumped me as a kid.

Same. I fixated on the fork running away with the spoon and couldn't figure out the joke.

EasyEW posted:

Dok's "Those Goddamn Minutemen Will Screw You Over Every Time" Duck (July 31, 1913)

And thus, the Kid became a stateless person.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 27, 2021

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

Help, I've been called out by compu-toon!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: hiring a new consultant (January 21-27, 2002)

I couldn't remember why air travel would have been down in early 2002.

I forgot

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Doomykins posted:

It has been a fun experiment and better than what was done before but Mark Trail is really beginning to stink. I think Jules needs a writer/editor partner really badly. Just anybody to point out how weird and confusing everything is, or how unsatisfying or impossible it is. Mark Trail now has two non-plots going on that can only end in 100% legal actions where our heroes fail.

1) Cherry ignored the HOA that owns the property who installed decorative shrubs in place of hers. She's going to unleash a tide of invasive wild boars to combat sinister invasive butterfly bushes. I guess we're supposed to knee-jerk say "rich snobby people bad, HOA bad" but even if 100% successful the HOA will just re-plant the same bushes and they're not going to hire the eco-terrorist who destroyed them the first time. I guess this is pure petty revenge.

People keep asserting that there's an HOA involved. I don't think that's ever been said. I think the rich snobby people are busybodies who ripped out Cherry's plants and installed their own.

I'm enjoying nu-Trail. Coherent and reasonable plots are overrated.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Look, according to the highly regarded piece of non-fiction Catch-22...

Johnny Aztec posted:

Look, in the Documentary, "M*A*S*H" They had to barter and swap all the time to get the supplies they needed.

QED HABEUS CORPUS CHRISTUS HAIL TO THE CHIEF

edit: I can't believe you beat me to my own joke by six minutes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

CommonShore posted:

One of the things that bugs me the most about Dustin - among many things that bug me about Dustin - is how they seem to represent the family as a regular everyday middle class family when in reality he's a rich loving lawyer and she's a quasi-celebrity radio host, meaning that they're multimillionare bourgeois shitbirds.

You vastly overestimate how much local radio personalities get paid. They're well off, mostly thanks to his job, but they're not _that_ well off.

Haifisch posted:

I missed this earlier, but: gently caress you Ed. I've been to fancy restaurants 2, maybe 3 times in my life and I understand that the point is the ambiance and the quality of food. If you're just looking to get the most food for your buck, there's a billion chain restaurants, buffets, and cheap diners you could have gone to instead.

The thing that surprises me about fine dining every time I do it is that the portions look small, but there are always several courses so at the end I'm pleasantly satiated.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Presto posted:

Uh, you're not going to be able to pick up a buckeye with that thing. And also, you can't eat them, so why did you plant a tree?

Tools like that are very common for picking up tree nuts like buckeyes, and you can absolutely eat roasted buckeyes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

I know Holbrook is stuck in the late 90s, but the current practice is to treat servers like livestock, not pets. If servers are treated like individuals, they're a lot harder and more resource intensive to replace when something goes wrong.

Powered Descent posted:

Ten years ago, this might have been accurate. But since then, there's been a huge shift toward treating servers as cattle instead of pets. Seriously, google around for something like "servers cattle pets" and you'll find a zillion articles about it. The idea is that instead of carefully tending to the needs of your particular collection of servers for years on end, you arrange things so that virtualized server instances are easily brought online for some specific purpose, and then casually destroyed when no longer needed. (Which might make an even better comparison to employment practices today, but I suppose it'll have to wait for Holbrook's understanding of the Internet to catch up.)

Ahh, beaten like a rented t2.micro instance!

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 27, 2021

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hostile V posted:

Piracy is cool and good actually. Does this mean we're going to seel Metallica in the awful animal zone.

Enter Sandworm

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

I cannot get over this image

tub girl

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m way behind on this for sure, but I don’t know where to go to find out the answer: what happened to Mark Trail? I remember when jackelrod died, but it’s been a few years since I looked at it.

The short version is that it was taken over by a guy named James Allen, who was a bit of a climate change denier. Turns out he was also an idiot, because he used the @MarkTrail twitter account to harass congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. King Features fired him without a lot of ceremony and hired Jules Rivera to take over. She's having fun with it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Zereth posted:

Jam Esallen was also really bad at "making a comic in general".

I don't think that's ever been a strict requirement.

Murdstone posted:

Looks good? Better than this?

Vargo also was the one who first tweeted the screenshot of the tweet that eventually led to Jam Esallen getting fired. I myself took the screenshot and posted it here.

I can't believe I forgot about the Vargo drama! "Harvey lost his leg to juvenile diabetes!" made me belly laugh

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

Geppetto hosed a tree

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

11/2/21:

:confused:

February 11th, maybe?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Olivia, macaroni and cheese isn't a... you know what? Nevermind.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The part of Mr. Inari today is played by Ray Smuckles
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03162004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Selachian posted:

"Beige University" is a joke on Auburn University, which is Holbrook's (and, for that matter, Jimmy Johnson's) alma mater.

Oh! I thought he was drawing Tech Tower, and that Fenton ate the Yellow Jacket swooping around the football stadium. Auburn makes a lot more sense though.