Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
"Don't you understand: I need air, or I'll drown!" Axa thinks angrily at the fish-boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

The_Other posted:

Circus Windows with a call back to the last Bad Machinery case

I've known Lottie and Mildred since they were little, it's weird seeing them driving cars and stuff.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wait, was the letter Axa had really for the underwater dome people? I thought it was for some country across the sea, not under it. Or did she just decide to dump the letter off at the first dome she came to?

I'm also noticing a pattern of Axa constantly needing to be rescued by guys...

At the start of the comic, when Axa was being told that she wouldn't be able to survive outside and needed to remain living inside the dome for her own good, I was rooting for her to break free and escape.

By now I feel that the dome authorities kinda had a point.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I love how Axa's character is basically Modesty Blaise, with a lobotomy.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

PainterofCrap posted:

Drawn And Quartered - 1942

Was it a custom in that era to pin a suicide note to your clothing when doing away with yourself? You never hear about people doing that now and it seems funny to think of there being accepted suicide tropes that fall out of fashion from time to time.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Rex Morgan is kind of impressive for the sheer, relentless tedium of the strip.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Drakyn posted:

'I'm not sure the cow understood what I meant.' is one hell of a pre-prepped avatar for someone.

Yeah, I'm thinking about it, altho I am attached to Trixie Slaughteraxe.

What's with the 1940's thing for including cutouts of the characters for the readers to dress up? Brenda Starr, Flying Jenny and Mopsy are all doing it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
:wom:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Rand Brittain posted:

Just got a Patreon update from John Allison talking about the history of Circus Windows where he mentions that he'd planned out Wicked Things for a much longer run, but it was cancelled because of low sales. It's a tragedy, although he's probably right when he mentions both the pandemic and the 'this was a really bad year to write a law-enforcement-centric series'.

Circus Windows is in many ways about Lottie's recovery from that and his recovery of how much he enjoys writing her. Really, it's a shame that more comics artists don't just get a Draw Whatever You Want grant.

I bought them all :shobon:

I don't normally buy physical comics ('cos I'm too tight) but I must have spent £200+ on stuff that John Allison's published by now.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

:aaa:

:gonk:

This new Mark Trail art sure is... variable.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

The characters in Brenda Starr sure do love to stare out of the page at the reader, with a kind of world-weary resentment.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Medenmath posted:

The Medieval Castle (Jun. 04, 1944)

While I love Hal Foster's work, I'm not entirely convinced that in the early middle ages, there were dudes sat around in war machine shops like in an rpg, just waiting for knights to wander in and place an order.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

The_Other posted:

Circus Windows Concludes! Featuring Little Claire, Lottie's new hairdo, and the glimpse of a new mystery!

As an aside, that's a beautifully drawn Georgian terrace. I used to live in a flat just like that. In the late 18th century, there was this fashion for very narrow, very tall houses: they work great as converted flats but as houses you must have been climbing up and down stairs the entire day lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 4, 1999)

On shallow straw, in shadeless glass,
Huddled by empty bowls, they sleep:
No dark, no dam, no earth, no grass -
Mam, get us one of them to keep.

Living toys are something novel,
But it soon wears off somehow.
Fetch the shoebox, fetch the shovel -
Mam, we're playing funerals now.

:)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I love this dude pensively musing about whether it was really a good idea to get married to some young girl that he knows absolutely nothing about.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Some Guy TT posted:

In over his head strikes me as the more appropriate expression here. Out of his league implies that Shauna and her family are highly desirable, when he sees them more as eccentric and is only comforted when he realizes that the family doesn't understand Shauna's brutalism obsession either.

For our American readers, that strip's actually all about the English class system. Jack's from a respectable professional family, whereas Shauna's mum's a cleaner, her step dad's a plumber and they live on a council estate (housing project). Jack's uncomfortably reflecting on the social differences throughout the strip. Shauna rises above it all, of course.

And she's definitely too good for Jack

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Kazinsal posted:

Something I'm noticing a fair bit in this Bad Machinery re-read is the background ways that John Allison depicts the class differences between the characters' families. Look at the grot and stains in the corner of the wall near the cheap table with chairs that have no backs that Colm's working at, and the piled up bills in front of the door. Contrast that to Mildred's family home, which is absolutely spotless. Even Shauna's home, which isn't exactly upper class (I believe it's said they live in a council estate, which my understanding is that's a britishism for public row housing) at least is depicted as being fairly clean.

Yeah, Colm (I think) just lives with his dad, who clearly takes zero interest in the house. It's very empty and in poor repair and what little furniture there is is old and cheap.

One particularly subtle hint here is the man walking past right in front of the window in one panel. This indicates that the front door opens directly onto the street, with no front yard of any description, which is a setup typical of the poorest type of 19th century terraced housing in the UK.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mary Worth is such a baffling comic to me. 90% of the time its poo poo; the remaining 10% has me glued to the page. I'm still chuckling over that reveal where his girlfriend's lounging on her sofa in her lovely apartment, dangling his Rolex in the air and musing about how much she could pawn it for lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Alhazred posted:

"That's my secret I'm always mad"
/