Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin
I dunno what to say about Moomin, it's wonderful and whimsical, and doesn't take itself very seriously. Also it features thread-favorite gremlin: Little My, from time to time.
I just finished posting story 10: Moominvalley turns jungle in the previous iteration of the thread, and I'll likely keep posting until 2021 either kills me, or I run out of content.
( https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908728&userid=143898 For anyone who wants to catch up on the backlog. )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

Terrible things can happen when you finger an unknown machine.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Today's Fingerpori:

"And there!"
"No spam, no advertisements"

(people in Finland slap those stickers on their doors in hopes of stopping th endless stream of kebab menus and pillow advertisements from clogging our mailboxes)

Yeah, the way those generally work is that the country's postal service respects them (atleast here in Norway.) as long as it's the official sticker you get from the postal service. (Free, just show up and ask for it. Can't ask for extra ones for other people though.)
But people get a bit confused because ads through the postal service only applies to the mass-printed stuff that doesn't have an address on it.
If companies are willing to pay a tiny bit more to slap addresses on each piece of advertisement, they'll still get delivered, as they're just normal mail at that point.

And meanwhile you'll have the companies doing newspaper and magazine deliveres do double duty as ad-delivery, and they will not give a poo poo about those stickers.
(Or just people rolling around slapping fliers out willy-nilly for free because they're doing someone a favor. But those don't make up much of the ad-volume.)

(God I've had so many angry old people wave adressed mail in my face, demanding to know why they got this _AD_!!!!!! I HAVE THE STICKER!!!!! And they rarely appreciated me explaining why they got 'em. As if it's the end of the world that they got that 1 yearly office supplies catalog or whatever.)

Moominposting, with Martians

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

I really don't know why the police don't just check Moominhouse out first thing whenever something odd happens in Moominvalley.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Oh no, their kid is an artist, how terrible and terrifying.

The_Other posted:

Circus Windows with a call back to the last Bad Machinery case

I'm not sure exactly what it is, probably their pale face colour + the only notable shading on their faces being under their eyes:
But it really looks like they're both hella anemic and/or exhausted, perpetually.

Martianposting

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Alhazred posted:

No, Lina Neidestam is the one who's making Zelda.

I think they just got turned around by the 'Unlike Zelda ---' phrase, which made it sound a bit like it was a secondary series by the same artist/author.

Little Martianposting

SubNat fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 9, 2021

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

Holbrook really has a knack for making utterly loathsome characters.
"Hey! I just made + pitched a tv show featuring you without your knowledge or consent!
The first time I'm informing you of this at all is once the deal has been made and I've cornered you into it!
You are of course obligated to do so because I've put in the effort to monetize your momentary popularity."

It's just a constant running theme in so many of his strips that characters just... decide and do things for other characters without their say or consent.
And no matter the outcome, or how bad a thing they acually do, it's always glossed over for the next thing. Because the characters are the good guys in the strip.

(Also, hasn't everyone on the crew already been on what's essentially a 24.6/7 livestream for years? You'd think some of the characters would appreciate not being the center of media/program attention for a while.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

I've been waiting for this one. That panel you pulled out is probably my favorite panel in the history of comics. :3:

Yeah, it's an excellent little panel. Any chance you'd like it as an avatar?
Might be nice to repopulate the forums with Moomin-avatars again, now that the proceeds actually go to supporting the site 'n all.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

First panel: Yeah moomin, that's a common reaction to browsing grindr.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

Featuring tiny angry Moomin.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

Mini-Moomin, full sized anger.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Alhazred posted:

The Good Innvandrer

(Innvandrer is norwegian for immigrant)
A semi-autobiographically strip by Janine El Khawand, it's about an artist immigrating to Norway from Libanon after falling in love with a norwegian.

There's something about how the lettering is on the traumas that just made it impossible for me to parse them, 'What's a Trauma? A place? A thing?'
First when I looked it up I realized that it was in fact a word, once it was spelled out normally. (And luckily one that's 1:1 english norwegian.)

Moominposting

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moon

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

I don't really understand why women wear pantyhose but at the same time it seems unlikely to me that leg paint would be a usable substitute.

Ghostlight posted:

sometimes you want to feel sexy, and sometimes there's a war on and you want to feel sexy without putting stress on the nation's supply of nylon because it's needed by paratroopers.

Yeah, Nylon had just recently hit the market and become a huge new trend before it got nipped away to get used in the war.
Colouring your legs (and painting on the seam at the back) was one way to recapture the look on the cheap, while waiting for the war to end.
The 'nylons' were a fashion statement and the thing to have, magnified so much more by the fact that it barely got to roll onto market before getting repurposed for the war effort.
When the war had ended, and stock slowly rolled back out to stores there were genuine riots due to the sky-high demand compared to meagre supply.

Moominposting

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

Moominfamily no, you'll just lead even more ships aground that way.
(Can you spot where the scanner freaked out multiple times and skewed the whole image sideways twice? Hopefully not.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

:iiam:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the incoming factoids about Too-Tikki

She's based on Tuulikki Pietilä, Tove's life partner/gal pal.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Manuel Calavera posted:

Too-Tikki is a lady? I literally never realized. But in hindsight, she is the best so of *COURSE* Tove based her off her gal pal.

I think it's one of those things where if you know she's based on Tuulikki, then it just seems obvious. Otherwise I could easily see someone assuming she's a dude, extra so since pronouns don't get used that much in Moomin. (And apparently some dubs have also referred to her as him.)
Out of the shadow of the Moomins: Celebrating the graphics of Tuulikki Pietilä Sounds like she was as rad and supporting to Tove as Too-tikki is to the Moominfolk.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

His Divine Shadow posted:

The death of one man birb is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic source of compost for Moominmamma's rose garden.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

I feel like basically every coastal region in the scandies has atleast one decommissioned mine somewhere on display, they were all over the place.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 29, 2021

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

I'm still so annoyed by this.
The tree is sentient, why didn't it say anything about this beforehand? 'lol relax ppl, just droppin' a branch, it happens sometimes, it's like [REFERENCE TO SPECIES CHARACTERISTICS]!'
The tree is so huge and solid that the family can live inside it without issue, in comparison that branch is fairly small, and won't really do anything except smash anything it landed on?
Judging by the distance, it's not like it would gently caress up their neighbors house either. I don't know why any of this is such a big deal.

PS: also gently caress family circus for having a masked edit of them being in a church. 'tee hee mass congregations are totally fine because we have masks on!'
No, gently caress off, stay at home, you can go to church again once this is over. Religious/church events are constant and consistent superspreader events.

Moominposting

(Please pretend like I photoshopped in 'christ what an rear end in a top hat' into panel 3 there.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

maltesh posted:

If I'm not mistaken, the Dewclaw's tree is just an ordinary tree. It's the Tree that Lindesfarne and Fenton live in that's got the speaker and can talk.

I only vaguely check in on them, so for whatever reason I just assumed it was the same house. Between the old/archive posts and the new ones it's all just a mashed together blur to me.
I only really pay attention when one of the Holbrook strips annoy me, which is unfortunately all too often.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the case of the very phallic ghost

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

I don't suppose any goons know how you'd make / what kind of sounds you'd be able to make with 'resin and thread'?
Saws can make some pretty spooky/haunting notes, but it looks like Too-Tikki is just smashing at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRnQ-a4Y2GI

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

:getin:
I am eagerly awaiting this next arc of Take it from the Tinkersons.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

Yes, the story is that the entire crew was selected through an insane amount of nepotism, where the entire crew consist exclusively of the commander's nearest friends and family, most of them without any kind of scientific background.
So of course they're friendly with the chief medical officer, they're probably great friends.

Imagine being some of the astronauts in this world, having gone through decades of study, training, and exercise. And you're told that oh no, none of you are going on the first manned expedition to a different planet, but some kids are.
'Sorry, while you are eminently qualified to be one of the 'pilots', due to a decade flying experimental aircraft, and multiple trips to the ISS, the slot is already taken by the commander's husband. '
'What are his qualifications, I've never heard of him before?'
'He's a minor league basketballer, and before you ask, no, he has zero relevant experience.'

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

His comeuppance is probably just going to be 'oh I feel faint, better call REX MORGAN, MD again', get chastised a tiny bit, and then we'll follow the family for the next 4 weeks as he does nothing except scowl at healthier food and whine.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (February 10-12, 1917)

Ah, Katrinka. :allears:

Moominposting

Tiggum posted:

She did a murder and went on the run from the law, but then the case was dropped due to mishandled evidence. I can't remember why she'd be angry at Ted specifically.

While she was on the run she asked the dad for help escaping (while hiding in a bush.) and he immediately turned her in.
So he's probably super worried she'll stalkerkill him, as she was showing some interest in him before the whole murder thing cropped up, I believe.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting