Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

BigDave posted:

Hey I recognize this even though I've never seen it before. In the Simpson's episode 'Duffless' when Homer is watching car crash footage in a DWI class and everyone else is horrified but he's laughing at it, the showrunners specifically cited this cartoon as the inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P7d5VOQnXI&t=1s

It's probably Addams' second most famous cartoon after "Downhill Skier".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The "if you don't understand an Arlo and Janis it's about sex" rule feels less helpful than ever these days.

Maybe K.T. Oslin? But even then I'm not clear why, plus I would have thought Johnson's lead time was longer than that.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Then Gil might still be running, but Retail still wouldn't.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
The potential implication here that Gunther is running an illegal hairdressing service during lockdown is a pretty bad thing to normalise on the funny pages.

But maybe actual lockdowns are rare enough in the US that that implication doesn't register there?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

Whatever the flaws in Jaimes' Nancy it absolutely captures the spirit of the Bushmiller period: Rehashing the same slow joke over and over until it crosses an invisible threshold into abstract madness.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

If Zits was smarter Jeremy would meet a penguin who'd go "actually really kind of a pain to walk like this, dude" and Jeremy would be like "oh man it actually must be, never thought about it really, my bad" and the penguin "we good" and they'd be buds.

Yeah. If the message of the week had been "sometimes people get attacked for saying things they think are obviously true; they can move past it by trying to understand why their words have hurt people" then it wouldn't have been an amazing week but people would probably have been okay with it. Instead the writer went for "sometimes people get attacked for saying things they think are obviously true; they're completely in the right and the rest of the world is unreasonably sensitive".

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

amigolupus posted:

I'm a little confused. Is it trying to say that Anja and Heimo have become terrible parents because they're too busy with their careers, or is it just a "parents don't really know their children as well as they do" sort of thing, or a bit of column A and B?

Personally I would say this specific page is entirely the second one. Mikko doesn't seem unhappy here but he is clearly keenly aware of his parents' estrangement and wishes they would spend more happy times with each other, to a degree that they're probably not aware of.

The first one has also been implied before in other pages, of course.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Why even make it a negotiation? As the parent, you can just tell your child how late they're allowed to be out. You don't have to haggle.

Because Michael is much more likely to accept and follow a rule that he has agreed to than one that is imposed on him without discussion. Compared to Lynn's usual standards this is relatively good parenting.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The Bloop posted:

I have no idea what is going on in that strip at all

Plot Summary

A visitor at a house's front door asks a child inside the house whether the child's grandmother is home. The child says that she will check and closes the door. Instead of actually checking, the child - now out of sight of the visitor - rages angrily. In the final panel the child opens the door again and calmly informs the visitor that their grandmother is home, and, as a punchline, that the visitor addressed the child by the wrong name. This mistake was presumably the reason for the child's anger.

Mistakes

Panels two and three show a welcome mat on the floor inside the house, but it is absent in the final panel.
Incorrectly regarded as a mistake: The colorist couldn't be bothered to read the strip and figure out which side of the door was which. In fact, the colorist's decision was correct.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Hostile V posted:

Reminder: Steve Kelley has actually beat his wife and it's kind of a missing stair open secret.

Much as I may despise the man a serious accusation like that needs more backing than a hand-waved "oh, everybody knows". Can you point to a police report, or a public claim from someone with direct knowledge, or anything?

edit: Or possibly you're getting him confused with Mike Lester?

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 8, 2021

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

The dude in green would easily be able to see her, she's standing right in front of the doorway. I wonder if that will matter or if the premise will continue to assume he doesn't notice her.

Perhaps the twist is that both of them need new glasses.

I don't know why, but I have Funky a lot more than most of the bad comics in this thread. Perhaps just because it's so smug about its absolute lack of anything interesting?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

goatface posted:

Christ. Quality historical parenting right there.

Yeah, the Watsons should take a leaf out of the Mullicans' book. Little John enjoys perfect health, but I bet his parents don't force him to go to school every single day because of it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

I was going to nit-pick that Britain didn't have mask mandates during the 1918 flu - and in fact all face coverings and scarves were discouraged there for hygiene reasons - but in the process of due diligence I discovered that some American cities that did have mask mandates also used custodian helmets as part of their police uniforms until at least the 1910s. So possibly good research work here by Meddick?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

It's pretty much impossible to tell the difference between Deep Phantom Lore and the writers just having a laugh.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Maybe don't try to out-wild the guy who keeps a lit stick of dynamite under his desk.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Mikl posted:

I am wholly prepared for this to be some bullshit that will make me mad.

My guess is it's related to the King of Hearts being the only king without a moustache, but I feel there're a lot of intermediate steps we're missing here.

Are these cases adapted from books? How long were they before they were trimmed down into five daily strips?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Apparently there have been some "unearthed" Peanuts comics which may feature some of the gang as grownups

I don't have the time to post about it thoroughly but if anyone wants to check it out it seems extremely thread relevant

Those old strips get "discovered" every few years or so; they're basically an unrelated comic he was workshopping using the templates he made Peanuts on. There's never been any suggestion that the two strips are related, and none of the characters have similar names to Peanuts characters, but it's still interesting to see his other work since Peanuts dominates so much of what he's known for.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (June 12, 1974)

Looking back on this storyline now... am I overreading, or is this about misogyny?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

davidspackage posted:

I think technically she's just selling ownership of a digital copy of his baby pictures. I don't know who'd want that, is his grandma buying them?

Not even that; ownership of a digital token loosely associated with the pictures. No ownership, license or even copies of the pictures are necessarily included.

It's quite difficult to properly express how stupid NFTs are; you naturally want to assume that there's some sense to them, but there really isn't.

The Bloop posted:

Embarrassing baby pictures does not necessarily mean nude wtf people

I guess you missed yesterday's comic? It's not ambiguous.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Nah, Funky takes place ten years in the future; for them it's 2021 and the Covid pandemic was a decade ago.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

He's going to wind up leaving her in jail isn't he?

He's going to try, and she's going to shoot him in the back and leave anyway.

If you look back, none of this is actually happening: Everything since June 30th has been old man Mozz telling him what would happen if he goes to Gravelines, so he's 100% going to die at some point in this story.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

For the historically curious panel one is almost certainly a reference to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Fish#Hurricane_controversy:

quote:

A few hours before the Great Storm of 1987 broke, on 15 October 1987, he said during a forecast: "Earlier on today, apparently, a woman rang the BBC and said she heard there was a hurricane on the way. Well, if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't!". The storm was the worst to hit South East England for three centuries, causing record damage and killing 19 people.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Columbo's cold opens seem to get longer every season.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
The best part is surely Kit is just going to ignore the warning and do it anyway. So are they going to rerun the last three months of strips? Or have him do it offscreen and just imply that it worked out fine?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Samovar posted:

Two planes crashed into the World Trade Centre, killing thousands.

Honestly I'd take Todd the Dinosaur's cartoon on the subject over this week of "you know what I'm talking about".

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Darthemed posted:

What a way to find out I’ve been using stamps wrong my whole life.

If there isn't a stamp on your building the post office won't deliver to it. That's just common sense.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Lynn's parenting attitude in a nutshell: children are supposed to be cute and obedient in the exact way mommy imagines, and if not, they are evil and to be punished.

Imagine Foob as a contemporary comic, she'd get mad at her kids for not providing the perfect instagram moment and you know it would be based on real incidents.

I had to read it a few times, because the first two I thought Lynn was imagining herself as the witch in the final panel.

But no, even that would be too self-aware.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Selachian posted:

Wouldn't ladies' cuts at men's prices be a hell of a bargain? I suppose it depends on the quality of the cut, though.

I'd say about half of the salons around me offer unisex haircut pricing, or at worst length-based. Gender-based pricing has always been a scam.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

The original version of this had Mallard Fillmore instead of Question Hound in the final panel. Syndicate made KC change it.

You can't fool me, no-one at King Features actually reads Funny Online Animals.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

rannum posted:

I've been checked out of rex morgan for a while why is there an assassination attempt in the doctor comic where nothing happens

I think you have the wrong idea about Rex Morgan. It's not a comic where nothing happens; it's a comic where lots of things happen, but they're never interesting. Even when you would think they really should be interesting, they somehow manage to avoid being so.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

El Spamo posted:

So he used reference images, so what?
e: Guh, I realize I'm defending Luann, but of all the things to criticize it's using a reference?

People who aren't any kind of artist themselves often have a preconceived notion that using references is "bad" in some way, instead of "literally how most art is made".

Yes I know who David Willis is.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
If anything Luann could stand to use more reference. It would probably help if the writers had ever watched actual human beings behave and interact, for example.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Huxley posted:

I could write an entire essay of my thoughts on A+J's handling of female desire and sexuality, and how the men in the comic react to it. The only joke I can recall JJ saying he regrets is this one:

He felt like the comic sold her out for a gag, and it's the only time he punished a character in this way with a joke. He otherwise never treated Meg as a wage of sin, and never asked Janis or Mary Lou to apologize or feel ashamed for their sexual histories. It's a really good comic, and the fact he even thought about this gag again, let alone came to regret making it, says a lot about its creator.

I guess I always assumed Gene was meant to be the butt of the joke in this comic as well, in the sense of "Gene is so naive that he's goggle-eyed by the suggestion that she might not have been in a 100% exclusive relationship"? It's a little disappointing to hear that that wasn't the intended reading - or at least not the sole intended reading.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Green Intern posted:

Is this saying "We'll be dead far too young to get gout"?

In the past gout was considered a disease that only rich people got; they're saying "we're gonna be too poor to ever get gout".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Hobnob posted:

I feel like I'm missing an idiom or something here. A black cat being unlucky I get, but what's with pulling a piglet's tail?

Pigs in general have long been considered a symbol of wealth and fortune in a lot of central European countries; I don't know of anything specific about pulling their tails, though.