Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Also, here are the character pages for new thread:

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Nappila-Ekox-Ekoday, RIP.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

EBB posted:

Who owns the land now?

The group Uffe represents. They only sold the immaterial stuff, land and equipment will be sold to whoever is buying. This will become relevant later.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Nappila is gone and his work in Mämmilä is done; Ulf Ekman, exit stage left.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

So is Rönkä like, poor now? Or was it just his house he lost? (I assumed he's rich enough that he can easily buy a new one, maybe not in cash, but once he logged & sold some lumber)

I mean he still has those Ekoday shares and I understand they aren't worthless? I find this stuff a bit hard to follow.

I don't think Rönkä is completely penniless, but he certainly is not rich anymore. The property his house is on was sold through Uffe to a supermarket chain and pretty much everything else was put on Ekoday shares.

As far as I understand it Ekoday was hacked into pieces and sold on, with nothing left but the properties and equipment in Mämmilä. The comic is very vague about what actually happened and I'm sure people who actually know about this stuff can point out a lot of holes in the story.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

A major breakthrough for Sauli Pylvänäinen. Also, in Finland pee is stored in the trains.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Glögg (glögi in Finland) is a traditional hot, often alcoholic, drink popular in Nordic countries around Christmas. Recipes vary, but basically you boil some water with spices, add juice and/or spirits and there you go.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

The election in question is the presidential election of 1988, held January 31. and February 1. It was the first direct presidential election in Finland but since no candidate got over 50% of the votes the election went on to a second round where it was decided by an electoral college, as it had been done previously. It was also the last election to use electors. Mauno "Manu" Koivisto was elected for a second term and in 1991 presidents were limited to two six-year terms.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Last panel posted:

Willbert Humbüegel
FROM CHANCE TO A RULE
Doctor Humbüegel's sensational statistical method for increasing the probability of a lottery jackpot.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Holkeri's government, blue-red government: in late 1988 the government was led by the Social-Democratic Party (red) and the center-right National Alliance (blue) with Harri Holkeri (Alliance) as it's prime minister. As the two biggest parties supported by the Finnish Rural Party (who later left) and Swedish People's Party, the opposition was practically powerless.

There has also been talk of structural change or the government's "controlled restructuring", which was an attempt to modernize Finnish economy. While partially successful it was not all that controlled and with the collapse of Soviet Union ultimately led to the terrible economic depression of 1990's.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Läpi harmaan kiven (through grey rock) is a Finnish idiom, meaning perseverance and success in spite of overwhelming odds.

And that's the end of the second collection of Mämmilä. Next time we start with the third and last, going through years 1988-1996. While not bad, it is my least favorite of the three for multiple reasons.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

The grand opening of Osto-Mekka (lit. "Shopping Mecca"), Mämmilä's brand new supermarket. This is what they built over Rönkä's house.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Until 1994 Finnish beer was divided into four tax brackets based on their ABV, I (0-2.8), II (2.9-3.7), III (3.8-4.7) and IV (4.7-). IV was further divided into A (4.7-5.8) and B (5.8-). After 1994 taxation has been based on ABV and quantity.
Pilsneri is used as colloquial name for beers under 2.8%, which have no age restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

"Prince-Colonel" (prinssieversti) is a fake title used by a character in a Finnish pulp adventure series.

It's funny that Sulo's backstory came up right now, we're less than two weeks from when Sulo will tell about it.