Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

rannum posted:

This is a joke, right

please tell me this is a joke and im falling for it

I think it's actually a one-year buffer, which is still certifiably insane but slightly less so.

Also, happy 2021 comics people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

I think the confusion here arose because Luann's ridiculous art teacher originally referred to him as "Mr. Jock", which is an odd thing for a teacher to do to a student, but as far as I can tell "Jock" was never actually presented as his proper name. As you can see here, Luann is a self-centered dingus who never bothered to learn his actual name:

And here, when he finally gets to introduce himself, he's Jack.

Also noteworthy is just how dull and insufferable both Luann and Bernice are, in general and to each other. What a comic strip!

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (February 21, 1918)

:smith:

Ah well, no unstoppable source of vigilante justice is perfect.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Luann seems to be dedicating 2021 to reaching new heights in baffling prudishness.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

He won't allow his adult son to start a band? He won't allow it? :stare:

I read it as "taking over the garage to use as a practice space" being what he wouldn't allow, though given the comic at hand your reading seems far more plausible than it otherwise might.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

if you had a second one, why didn't you just go get it as soon as the first one broke?!

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

SIR, WE HAVE THE COMIC STRIP SURROUNDED. PLEASE PUT DOWN THE PEN AND STEP AWAY FROM CURRENT EVENTS.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Alterian posted:

They've shown this baby throwing up their milk multiple times now. This isn't normal behavior for babies. Yes, they spit up, but if they are constantly more or less vomiting out their stomach contents, they really need to be seen by a pediatrician. This was the first indication one of my kids had a milk allergy when they were a baby!

Ah, you're thinking of human babies; for terrifying rhino-cat hybrids, it's not only normal and healthy, but also extremely interesting and even visually appealing, so I hope he shows it dozens more times.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Cora is specifically the embodiment of the concept of correllation of data, which presumably did not exist before her birth two years or so ago.

Huh, never picked up on this, but it's certainly plausible. The weirdest thing about Cora is that as a baby she seemed to be the embodiment of autocomplete, since there were multiple strips where she'd randomly interrupt people in the middle of words by shouting out things that began with the appropriate syllable...but Holbrook never seemed to acknowledge, or possibly even realize, this.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

amigolupus posted:

So not only are the employees forced to do three Zoom meetings per day, the boss also sends Dethany to harangue the others to get in the room like they can't do it on their own. This is some absolute spite right here.

I'm just glad Holbrook was able to express the complicated, hard-to-understand idea of "gathering people" with such a simple and effective visual metaphor.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

EasyEW posted:

I'm trying to figure out how big a growth spurt would take a skirt from a third of the way down the calf, the way McE has always drawn them, to a block away from the demilitarized zone. I'm also trying to figure out the bad life choices that led me to asking that particular question.

Makes sense when you realize that young Edda (as drawn now) has weird stubby legs but an otherwise adult-proportioned body. All the growth is in the gams!

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Then, the powerful Katrinka got back to playing some of the world's earliest Flash games.

Julet Esqu posted:

Jesus fuckin' Christ, Bernice.

Given the stiff competition in this strip, it's helpful to occasionally be reminded that Bernice is just the worst.

While I'm posting, another just-slightly-off-kilter thing that drives me nuts about this strip is how all of the characters constantly refer to each other by name.

I love it.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

Plot Summary

A visitor at a house's front door asks a child inside the house whether the child's grandmother is home. The child says that she will check and closes the door. Instead of actually checking, the child - now out of sight of the visitor - rages angrily. In the final panel the child opens the door again and calmly informs the visitor that their grandmother is home, and, as a punchline, that the visitor addressed the child by the wrong name. This mistake was presumably the reason for the child's anger.

Mistakes

Panels two and three show a welcome mat on the floor inside the house, but it is absent in the final panel.
Incorrectly regarded as a mistake: The colorist couldn't be bothered to read the strip and figure out which side of the door was which. In fact, the colorist's decision was correct.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't understand that the art was ineptly trying to depict Ruthie having her little rage-fit inside.

The Bloop posted:

goddamn you for making me read an achewood comic

:mad:

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

M87* is actually 55 million light-years from Earth; if there was a supermassive black hole only 55 light-years away, we'd be, in one way or another, much more familiar with it!

ukonvasara fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 8, 2021

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

nishi koichi posted:

what’s that bootsie say, i can’t make it out.

looks like "I know you're hidin' in there Bootsie an' I know you been sneaken food in. That's gonna cost you fifty cents...fer privileges."

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"sorry i was distracted by turning into a hobbit"

"My arms! Oh god, what's happening to my arms!?"

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Drakyn posted:

This is actually historically accurate: up until the 1950s or so most Americans were plagued with frail and rickety skeletons thanks to growing up taking opium and wood alcohol for head colds, and unsightly 'bone spasms' or 'skeleton pops' were common occurrences without careful and consistent lounging. Still, even Out Our Way and Gay and Her Gang's depictions of these troubles pale in comparison to the brutal realism on display in Toonerville Folks, where it can be seen that almost every single person in town older than an infant has their knees permanently locked like they're about to squat on an invisible chair.

People primarily familiar with comics that are still around today might know this condition as "Dagwood knees".

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

how many days must a man praise his dog,
before you can call him insane?
and how many guns must a labrador face,
before he won't hide in the rain?

:golfclap:

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 3/24/01

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Good lord this child's imagination is tedious.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Classic K&K is giving me insight into a past when Holbrook only had to keep one strip’s worth of convoluted plots together and that strip at least could be neutrally palatable as a result.

Surprise! Kevin and Kell is Holbrook's third strip. He'd already been doing On the Fastrack and Safe Havens for years when he started it. Really makes you wish for the sweet embrace of death, doesn't it?

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Hattie Masters posted:

3 - Overboard
One that I didn't see anyone else mention, I just can't stand how absolutely twee it is. "Oh no the dog is doing a dog thing, oh no the cat wants to eat mice and this is bad, oh no the mice are having to loving fight the COVID viruses falling from the sky." Heart is in the right place, but it can also piss off.

Man, glad I'm not the only one. It's generally genial and well-intentioned enough and never, like, blatantly offensive, but there's just a thousand dumb or inscrutable or baffling things that just can't keep from getting under my skin. My other two least favorites are Working Daze and Rose is Rose, since I have chosen to disqualify Intelligent Life for no longer being a daily strip. The Funkiverse, Holbrook Hell Worlds, and Luann are all too much fun to engage with to be "least favorites", even if I'm engaging with them by actively hating them.

I don't think I ever posted my favorites, so here are those (from the field of currently-running daily newspaper comic strips and also Crabgrass):

1. Wallace the Brave
2. Arlo and Janis
3. F Minus

Honorable mentions: Crabgrass, Andertoons, BCN

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Mikl posted:

(I am totally unclear as to what he did at the start of the strip: he was "admin of the Herbivore Forum" before he started flea-bay, his online grooming service -- which sounds real bad but actually isn't! -- which was then spun off to the dating service Mating Call. But was "admin of the Herbivore Forum" an actual job? I dunno.)

This was a great example of K+K's just-barely-out-of-touch sort of familiarity with tech stuff--it never seemed to be aware that in the real world, "sysadmin" and "administrator of a discussion forum" are two different roles, and while it would've been perfectly reasonable to depict Kevin as someone with both jobs, it instead seemed to suggest that they were just the same thing.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

curtadams posted:

To add to the many layers of incoherence in the Funkyverse, Funky Winkerbean is supposed to be roughly in the present and Crankshaft about 10 years previously. Which means Crankshaft and his "friends" are commiserating about an event which won't happen for 10 years yet.

That's not quite right: Funky Winkerbean jumped 10 years ahead of the contemporarily-set Crankshaft but didn't change anything else, resulting in a situation in which FW is set in the present, and Crankshaft is set 10 years earlier, in the present.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

amigolupus posted:

The hell is this retcon? Dinkle never sold any chocolates, he kept sinking money into those turkey sales. And if he was going to name-drop a chocolate company, the least he could do was get its name right.

As they noted at SoSF, this is a flashback to 2017 (in which the company's name is indeed spelled differently):

That said, Batiuk does seem to enjoy establishing characters as humorously incompetent, then deciding that they also need to be rewarded, causing him to pretend that actually they've been hypercompetent all along.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

This comic's dedication to complete and utter mundanity is really something!

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Mine can't accept that flower. It looks nothing like a vagina.

well no, in this painting that's the giant ram skull's job!

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

I think a big reason it can be hard to figure out exactly how the Luann characters are supposed to be read is that none of the storylines ever resolve, so no one is ever depicted experiencing any type of consequences for anything. Anything resembling a plot is cut off 80% of the way through to go look at some other inane thing, and as a result characters remain static, their unpleasant personalities grating against each other in the exact same ways forever.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

The Bloop posted:

If this isn't true why do I keep insisting that it is?

Yeah, for all of Luann's faults I don't think it's trying to portray Bernice as being correct in her lunatic prudishness--her overwrought reactions are clearly the punchlines here. The problem is that essentially every character is a neurotic middle schooler, has previously been displayed as explicitly villainous, or both, so it's often very unclear what it actually is trying to do.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

"I've seen naked men before, unlike you losers, who have never seen a naked woman."

I think it's just "I've seen a naked woman before [myself], unlike you losers."

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze once again defies my attempts to come up with a snappy lead-in joke.

this mf said "organ doner"

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

Every time I see an Overboard I want to post about it but don't know what to say. Imagine what someone would think if it was their first time seeing it, every day? It's low on the list of strips I dislike, but something about it just makes me mildly irritated every time I see it. It's inexplicable.

I feel the exact same way!

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

CommonShore posted:

What I'm wondering is why he's bitching about it

That strip really just seems to be "Things were like this, but now they're like this! Can you imagine!" Sometimes the distaste for the new ways is clear, but other times it's equally clearly an observation that the past was a pain in the rear end.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Luann has been in college for several years and did not, by any stretch of the imagination, "rule" high school.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Vargo posted:

This is like the third TWtD in a row that does "But Now! WOW!" for "women are actually doing things" and I'm beginning to think Art Beeman is less "mad about it" and more "horny for it."

Yeah that's the interesting thing about this strip: it's not always "things used to be this way, and now they're worse!" Sometimes it's "things used to be this way, and that was awful!", sometimes it's "things used to be this way, and now they're better", sometimes it's just "things used to be this way and now they're this other way". It's less likely to be inherently nostalgic/anti-progress than other strips in its mold (though it certainly is that often enough).

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

If the bus is a really long broom why are all the witches on it also carrying brooms? Wouldn't that be the equivalent of driving your car into a bus?

I also thought this at first but I think the vertical brooms are intended to be part of the bus, like poles that riders can hang on to. Putting more bristles at the top was probably not the best artistic decision to convey this idea though!

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

I hate these motherfuckers so much

Happy holidays thread!