Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Samovar posted:

Happy new year you filthy animals. Hopefully I should be uploading some new comics soon. I think Corto Maltese may have been posted by me enough times to justify against me doing it again.

Is Corto Maltese available online? I'd read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Been 20 years since I read Kevin and Kell...surprised how much I remember. First webcomic I got into.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

I feel this in my soul the same way I did when I first read it. In retrospect, "Calvin and Hobbes" made me a strange child. (Apparently, existential dread counts as a 'bad attitude" in middle schoolers.)

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I like this "cheerful smiling killed 6 men before brunch" Valiant. The complete works is on my list of "things I will totally buy SOMEDAY."

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

amigolupus posted:

Holy hell, Axa is so bad at being a protagonist. She bumbles around and has to get bailed out time after time. She takes doesn't really provide a decent argument against the dome's terrible gender politics. She also did absolutely nothing in helping to resolve things, especially since the Controller just shrugged and said the men and women can go if they wanted to. Axa also acts as if sending these people to the other dome is a good thing because they'll have the freedom to love each other there, when the dome does absolutely nothing of the sort.

Also that whole merman thing went absolutely nowhere.

I didn't understand the strip at first, but now I think it's a phantom case of men (badly) writing women. Someone up top wanted a New Twist on the old stories, and the writers complied. But they had no idea (or didn't care enough) to write how a woman with agency would actually act, so they default to what they knew; her a) making generic/useless comments/exclamations and b) getting her tits out. Like, you can practically draw in the Strong Manly Character she's supposed to be armcandy/Gal Friday for, but since he isn't there, the whole strip feels janky.

(If you shopped in a sexy lamp, would the comic make more or less sense?)

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Am I missing the joke, or is this just an early "Yoga is from Foreign Parts, and therefore Of The Devil"?

"Phallocratic Technology" would make a good title for a Shadowrun heist location.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Were comic strips of the past more surreal, or am I just missing context?

Does Axa spend more of her time topless or non-topless?

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

-On the way to Navajo Station
-"Good heavens, an Indian!"

Was this intentionally or unintentionally hilarious?

Where did the image of the solitary native American gazing over the action or the scenery as a sign of "this is the West" come from? Real life or fiction?

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (April 26, 1951)

And in 3 years, the Comics Code goes into effect (thanks in part to overreaction to crime and horror comics), bowdlerizing comics for the next half-century. Although plenty of sex and violence slipped in, if I remember the 90s.

Cobalt-60 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 1, 2021

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This really doesn't sit well with me (I know about Lynn's problematic history). This kid is terrified of going home and Lynn's just clueless. I get the sense that if Mike told his mom that she still wouldn't give a poo poo.

Is there a guide to the Dark History of FBOW? I know there was something with a RL divorce and a tacked-on happy ending. Always fascinated by sordid details of vanilla worlds.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

catlord posted:

After a solid early showing, Jason's just been the worst. I hope he bites it soon.

Axa has a sword? Why didn't she ever use it when...oh right, Axa, the passive protagonist.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Twelve by Pies posted:

Why would a family take a ship from California to New York? Were there even passenger ships for that route?

As of 1848, there were three routes to California:

1. Train to Missouri, then wagon across the plains. Subject to finding a group to travel west with. Shortest and quickest route, but required camping out, fording rivers, dealing with trail hazards, all the things that would make a hilarious game 150 years later. Most people who took this route were settlers; people heading west for gold went by ship.
2. By ship around Cape Horn. Relatively boring, but could take 6+ months if the winds were bad.
3. Sail to Panama, cross the isthmus, then take a ship north. Quickest route, if you're lucky and a ship comes in at the right time...and you don't die of fever/snakebite/whatever killed 5600 workers later on.
4. Northwest Passage; take a ship heading north around Canada, then FREEZE TO DEATH.

(Presumably, the transit described in the comic is post-canal construction.)

Cobalt-60 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 12, 2021

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Howard Beale posted:

I hate this Zits storyline soooooo much for using an absolutely toothless strawman statement at the center of a bad faith argument about cancel culture. Cause golly, if they can "cancel" Jeremy for merely making an innocent observation about penguins, what will they cancel you for? There's no way Scott would have let Jeremy say something actually repellant and ignorant, because then the aftermath would have/should have involved him actually listening to people and learning something and making amends rather than just pointing his head up and hollering "WHAT DID I DO!?!"

Scott and Borgman are sliding down the same aging white male trail that Rick Detorie blazed for 'em, and I'm pretty disappointed.

He should have done something truly deserving of cancellation, like shipping the wrong characters, or having a problematic take. But that would require greater understanding of the Internet.
Coincidentally,

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

amigolupus posted:

If this is supposed to be a Species Has Characteristic joke of how a rabbit lives in fear underground away from predators then it doesn't work because Coney already had hundred digit kills before she was even a year old. This kid is the antichrist of Hellworld and eats everyone who comes near her and her family.

I think it's a joke about how messy he left his room.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I admire the Heathcliff writers. Despite running out of jokes 30 years ago, they're still trying to be funny, which is more than I can say for most lost-past-their-prime strips.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I re-read my complete Calvin and Hobbes collection every few years. It's still funny, but the least plausible thing is that Calvin is only 6.

And screw the depressing ending.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Some Guy TT posted:

What in the world is that watermark? Is this just a really old Something Awful image or do you attach that to all your edits so people know where you first posted it?

It's a really old image, back from the time when frog edits were new. No idea who made it.

I think Phoebe and Her Unicorn is the successor/"in the tradition of" to Calvin and Hobbes, myself.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Ah, the previous age of the Internet, when this wasn't standard practice, and "we sell your data to everyone" wasn't an open secret.

No, I'm not old. Pity that "obfuscate everything about your identity" is even more relevant now than when this strip first ran.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

What is it with Hal Foster and that stupid-rear end haircut? Bad enough Prince Valiant has it, now two more characters do?

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

amigolupus posted:

Well, that loving sucked! Axa took back Dirk despite him proving to be a massive dirtbag ("I can't help you with that giant squid, Axa! I got no weapons!"), and then Axa just leaves those pirates alone. What, not even going to lead the villagers to help her take down the gang that's raiding fishing villages or anything?

If this were Val, he'd be marching in that cave to kill those pirates, sword in his hand and song in his heart.

Hey, she managed to DO something, for once. Baby steps.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

ikanreed posted:

I'd really like to go back and read the iww's statements about ww1 and see just how right they were about it, knowing what we know now.

Eugene V. Debs posted:

And that is war in a nutshell. The master class has always declared the wars; the subject class has always fought the battles. The master class has had all to gain and nothing to lose, while the subject class has had nothing to gain and all to lose — especially their lives.
They have always taught and trained you to believe it to be your patriotic duty to go to war and to have yourselves slaughtered at their command. But in all the history of the world, you, the people, have never had a voice in declaring war, and strange as it certainly appears, no war by any nation in any age has ever been declared by the people.

"That old man with the burning eyes actually believes that there can be such a thing as the brotherhood of man. And that's not the funniest part of it. As long as he's around I believe it myself."

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
It's impressive output, but it's no surprise he doesn't bother actually thinking anything through. I doubt he's considered any of the implications that people keep bringing up.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
How many times has Axa found a "beautiful untouched" location, only to promptly get captured/attacked/nearly eaten? Hope springs eternal, i guess...

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
What kind of a name is "Deer"? Couldn't they have translated it, or at least come up with something vaguely Egyptian? Not that Egypt is anything but the prologue.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Hal Foster draws the best faces.

Do we ever meet any knights of the Round Table besides Gawain? Tristran showed up just long enough to get stabbed, and I think Kay was mentioned, but I don't recall any others. Of course, Val spends most of his time away from Camelot.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

How Wonderful! posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For #137 (1992)

Is there anything in the strip that isn't grist for Mo's neuroses? I'm enjoying the strip, because it's a glimpse into a different world (in 1992, I I didn't know what a lesbian even WAS), but she just comes off as unpleasant. Granted knowing that a significant portion of the country hates your very existence is a VERY good reason to be stressed, but it seems (in my limited reading), that everything is just "this makes ME feel awful, and I will vent about it to everyone in hearing range", like a more political Cathy.

(My reading of Dykes to Watch Out For is very fragmentary, so i could be completely full of it.)

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Comic Strips 2021: there are BARS at the window

The dialogues in "Deathless Deer" is as stiff as the artwork. Combined with the lack of punctuation, gives it a weird staged vibe, like someone cut out pictures and glued captions to them. Kind of like Fletcher Hanks, if he was boring.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Poor doggie.

I wonder if boar taint was an issue back then, or if they just didn't care.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 07, 1945)

Val, you walked into the palace and CARRIED OFF the princess in sight of EVERYONE and didn't eat a dozen arrows, get dogpiled by guards (maybe they're all guarding the beach), or get stabbed by her 20 suitors. SOMETHING is protecting you.

(Yeah, it's plot magic, but I like the idea of Aleta staging/working the whole thing. "Oh dear, this BRUTAL man is carrying me away from the arranged marriage I hate! What SHALL I do?")

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 15, 1945)

This would be a really great scene if the guy weren't black. As it is it just kind of makes me uncomfortable, although panel three still rules.

"What's on your mind, Aleta?"
"MURDER."

Johnny Aztec posted:

I am not entirely sure what is going on here. Is Australian geography known for violently ripping open?

I think he was trying to dig a hole and set off a landslide. What does "bung in your tree" mean? No results on Google.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
The real mystery is why Encyclopedia Brown's in disguise. Don't remember that at all. These strips are terrible adaptations; they keep adding superfluous detail for DRAMA, while making the actual case details hard to find. On the other hand, such gripping mysteries "The Case of the Missing Penguin" (solution: penguins live at the SOUTH Pole) is hard to sell.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Classic Holbrook is still good; all current Holbrook shows is how low on ideas he is.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6kp4zBF-Rc

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (January 12, 1946)

Trying to make out Bootsie's first name. M-A-C-?-O, I think.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

A slight exaggeration, but given the neatness and sorting (or total lack thereof) in your typical retail store, the employees get what they deserve. You want me to inventory your neatly boxed and labeled product in a well-lit space, you get an accurate count. You want me to inventory 10 boxes crammed full of unsorted lingerie in an unventilated back room, well...we gotta be out of here by 9. Eventually, i quit the job, because the pressure to be fast, "approximations," and general BSing data drove me nuts. Was good practice for military life, though.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
"Yes, we're telling our secrets to a stranger we just met. But that's never gone wrong before."

New idea for a comic: A comics writer coming to terms with the insipid legacy strip he's stuck writing. He's long since run out of ideas, and lacks the courage to go soap opera. So he's left dragging out stories as far as possible, wrining out a week's worth of content from one conversation, cobbling together inane dream sequences to pad things out. But it's no use; he sees himself in the artist character, out of ideas, living behind a pseudonym. Worst of all, he knows none of this matters. Nobody cares about the comic; it's packaged with a dozen others, shrunk to near-illegibility, and crammed into the same newspaper page it's been in for the last 40 years.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I love the word "monokini," because it's etymology comes from "bikini" (two-piece to one-piece)...except that "bikini" is actually from Micronesian and comes to us via an unexpected vector; it's a false etymology.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
No re-introduction for Gawain? Not even a "Hi" or a catching-up?

Also, I find the idea of King Arthur the ginger hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Hugh: My men aren't doing well
Val: *Our men

The only adventure Val didn't wind up with at least one new servant, lieutenant, or wife was the torture dungeon. And that's just because the rats weren't technically recruitable.