Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Happy New Year, fellow degenerates!

Posting for the first time in 2021 while I still can. I may lack the will later in the day.

Monster Rally – 1950

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I am resurrected.

Monster Rally – 1950

2020 mood.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Monster Rally - 1950

Over in Goons with Spoons, they're not seeing the joke.

(either nudity or coarse cultural interpretation. In either case, Addams once again making the point that things are the same, everywhere)

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/in-john-they-trust-109294882/

Jesus.

Over in Pet Island, they're not seeing the joke

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 3, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Back in the mid-80s, I had an employee (a 5'1" Cajun) who failed to show for his (3rd) shift (so guess who didn't go home after working 1st & 2nd as the manager...). He called me from jail at 3AM to tell me got into a barfight and was arrested for aggravated assault. The next morning, I threw his bail.

Hey, when he wasn't drunk & brandishing knives in bars, he was a good employee. And by "good," I mean he was dependable & didn't eat/steal stock.

Good news! I retrieved two more Addams anthologies from Mom’s house! One is from 1947!

Monster Rally – 1950

This is the one that folks claimed landed Addams in treatment. One of my all-time favorites!

I sent this out as a home-made Christmas card one year.

Another favorite!

One more round, and Monster Rally is finis!

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 5, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (February 19, 1918)
My grandfather, born 1903, was juuust starting his career as a research chemist when the income tax brackets started downwards, and by 1934 had reached him.

Consequently, he hated FDR with the fiery heat of a thousand suns and never voted for a Democrat his entire life. He was also a colossal bigot.
Boy, I wish Everett True could have had a minute with him.

Slammy posted:

Hitz and Mrs. (October 1923)
drat, that's cold: Process server.[/quote]

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Monster Rally - 1950

...and that's it for Monster Rally!

I started scanning Homebodies, which came along in 1954, but now that I have the earliest one in the set - Addams and Evil from 1947, I'm tempted to go with that. Any thoughts?

In the meantime:

And the color frontispiece:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Guess I should do this..

Charles Addams was a keen observer of the human condition and tested the boundaries of good faith, good taste, and the absurdity of so-called civilized man. Reality is occasionally bent a little. His (usually) single-page cartoons ran in the New Yorker magazine for most of thirty years. The only recurring characters were an un-named extended family (with hired(?) help), residing in a dilapidated Victorian mansion, that appeared to consist of oddballs raising sociopaths, but appearances are deceiving.

Good news! There is a fifth collection, Drawn and Quartered, which appears to be the first compilation of Addams' NY Magazine works - from 1942, I believe. I have just acquired it. BUT it's not yet arrived...

So I am beavering away on the earliest collection I have! Now it's time for...

Addams and Evil - 1947

This is a really dated joke that I am old enough, and AI enough, to get: These mighty hunters are spiriting round in an American Bantam, which, at the time, was the smallest American car on the road. It was basically a glorified go-kart, and a miracle that such a thing could ever be street-legal. Such was the US, pre-Interstate Highway System. https://forums.aaca.org/gallery/image/14727-1940-american-bantam-roadster-maroon-black-rvr/
They're the grand-daddy of the Jeep, and - believe it or not - still street-legal!

a rare 2-in-1

Think I finally figured out the moire issue with the scanner.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 7, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Discendo Vox posted:

I don’t get either one!

The first one: the cab driver's photo.

In the old days of Yellow Cabs, especially Checkers (which are large vehicles, and cavernous inside), it was rare to get a good look at the driver during any part of the ride, and cabbies were required to post their cab license information where the customer could easily read it.

The second one is more subtle..."Lord Calvert" is (or was) a real brand of bourbon. A Royal Name...for rotgut.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Addams and Evil - 1947

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Parahexavoctal posted:

....the concept that the building's sprinkler system is new. When were they first introduced? By 1937, they were common enough that Webster could reasonably anticipate his readership to understand...

In-building fire-suppression systems were around for two hundred years by the time that cartoon was published; however, they were not required by code until a hundred years after that, and only then in certain buildings.

I think the cartoon is emphasizing that Mr. Milquetoast's office / building just had a new system installed - and he doesn't trust it.

e: ugh, horrible snipe

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Addams and Evil - 1947

I grew up drinking White Rock brand sodas.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Addams and Evil - 1947

More later, gotta get scanning!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Addams and Evil - 1947

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Addams and Evil - 1947

This one cracked me up when I got old enough. Made no sense at all when I was a kid.

I'm betting this is Snow-Woman kid.

This is the only line-art piece I've ever seen Addams do.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

amigolupus posted:

The set-up for this Modesty Blaise feels a bit haphazard to me. It's been mentioned that Joanna was used as a sex slave in the Blackwings's cult, since her friend's dad blames her for surviving. That should have been plenty enough reason for Modesty to go after the cult leader, so it feels pretty off for her to hesitate and have Giles talk her into taking action.

My take was that her qualms were about rescuing...Mafia bosses.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Addams and Evil - 1947

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Addams and Evil - 1947

Timely...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Addams and Evil - 1947

spoilered for abundant cartoon boobage.

For the record, if anybody's offended by the subject matter, let me know. I haven't been spoilering this particular theme: although it's a white artist riffing on a culture he clearly knows nothing about, thematically, it's contemporaneous to every other theme he riffs on.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 15, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Addams and Evil - 1947

Another classic.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Tiggum posted:

I don't understand this one at all.

Guy's watching TV (yes, that was a real TV! )
& drinking a frosty beverage.

Wife walks in and sees a vendor hawking frosty beverages at a stadium sporting event.

Looks at vendor
Looks at husband.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 16, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Addams and Evil - 1947

(sorry, last one is "1950.")

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Parahexavoctal posted:

In this installment of The Timid Soul (November 30, 1948), that's an absolutely amazing quilt. Realize that HT Webster had to draw each of those separate patterns by hand.

I guess this strip pre-dates the introduction of a unified emergency phone number?

As a kid in the 60s, my mother taught me to dial 0 for the operator in the event of a fire/emergency. Nine-one-one didn't come along to our area (US) until probably the mid-70s.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

A brief program note as we approach the end of this collection. Next up will be "Drawn And Quartered," which was, as far as I can tell, the first collection published of Charles Addam's New Yorker material, in 1942. There are a few war-themed panels; I had no idea.

Addams and Evil - 1947

Prescient. Or he had R.U.R stuck in his head.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Transmodiar posted:

That bold goon was me, if you want to search for my posts and read it that way. And I know you think you made it simpler for American audiences, but it's still too complicated. :) Let's just say sixth form is junior and senior year and call it a day.

Modesty Blaise

Next time: new adventure!

He was knocking them out with carved devil dicks. Poetry.

We wind up Addams and Evil - 1947

...Aaand start: Drawn And Quartered - 1942

with a note from a fellow-traveler:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Drawn And Quartered - 1942

It's the art, not the subject matter.

First wartime cartoon.

In the formative stages of creating the Family.

Wonder if this is the same padre with the omniscient TV reception

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

While this was no doubt done - maybe more common in a communal living environment where leaving a note or envelope around might be ambiguous enough to sow confusion - it is also a visual trope, in case anyone saw a guy standing on a teetering pile of books on a chair with a rope near eye-level and went, "drat, but that's an odd way to change a lightbulb!"

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

https://www.ausablechasm.com/

Japanese mini-subs were hitting the follow-up news on the Pearl Harbor attack. One of the first U.S. Navy 'kills' in the war was a mini-sub outside of Oahu

Making up somewhat for missing Friday.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 24, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

amigolupus posted:

Axa's about to get horny for a robot, isn't she?

It's been done.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Drawn and Quartered - 1942

Rationing. Guessing that this was a response to the national mood concerning the sudden scarcity of tires, especially since the US' main source for latex rubber, the Dutch East Indies, was cut off in late 1941. While gas rationing sidelined a lot of cars, a ton were put up on blocks for the duration due to no tires, and in some cases, people traded extremely expensive cars with dangerous baldies for a cheaper car with newer tires.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Got to hit the scanner mines and finish imaging this one. More tomorrow!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Samovar posted:

Gene's got a point, with twenty folk you could sail the seas for American gold and fire no gun; shed no tears!

Jesus, that Barrett's Privateers thing really has legs

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Since this was published in 1942, by which time Operation Barbarossa was...not going well, I'm fairly confident that those are Russian wolves.

Not sure if a Rose Bowl parade call-out or just a sick burn on USC.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Samovar posted:

So, I've been banging my drum for a bit now about my next upload project. And now's as good a time as any - ladies, gentlemen, NBs all, I present to you the first in (frankly, a GIGANTIC amount) of the comic series by Jean-Michael Charlier and Jean Giraud AKA Gir AKA Moebius. I present to you the Western comic: Blueberry

So, without further ado, in today's Blueberry: Yes, he's smoking a cigar and there are one too many aces but we are reading Blueberry, not the Zyborne Clock

I believe that it is the surplus of aces that propelled the story-line to violence.

Thank you for doing the heavy lifting to post this! If memory serves, I recall seeing this on kiosks all over Switzerland in the early 70s. I was still in the early learning phases of German (I was 8) so it was disappointing not to be able to understand what was happening. Looked exciting, though.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm a bit slow to figure out this last one.

MariusLecter posted:

Gotta be a Romulan and Remus reference. maybe?
Yeah...from what I have learned about Charles Addams, as well as his target audience - I'm leaning towards this as a "I have been around forever, I am a fixture of the Earth" vibe - as in: drill sergeants aren't human, they're an ageless force of Nature.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 31, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Wonder if her name is Daisy.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Selachian posted:

Bonus ad! The war's over, so here's General Electric to brag about how fast they'll be rolling out new goods for you, the victorious American, to consume!

People had lots of money to spend, and no place to spend it. Ads like this were exactly what the buying public was looking for, after almost four years of war and rationing. You will see a similar explosion once the pandemic is on the wane.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Geez Buck. Didn't even get out of the parking lot before stuffing your face.

I bet he wrecks his classic car.

My guess is he'll experience temporary blindness.

It happened to a friend of mine; he worked at the Sunoco refinery in south Philadelphia. One day he was high up in the scaffolding when his eyes just...went dark. He had to be helped down from the catwalk, about 80-feet up. Freaked him out but good.

Fortunately, his vision returned. He was quite diligent in his sugar control thereafter.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe