Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Parahexavoctal posted:

Hm, that's true.

Perhaps the question Popeye should ask is, is the person in Mister Brown's body actually Mister Brown?

Twins. It's got to be twins. And the real Mr Brown is locked up somewhere, hence the moaning and refusing to call the cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

Gonna go on a limb here and say that cartoon was probably more risque in a time period where an actual serious attempt at a domestic military coup wasn't even ten years in the past...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot for those unfamiliar. The Dollop podcast did a good episode on it.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Ok, I've had enough and have to ask: why the hell does De Paul keep dropping "trusted man" into almost every strip? Is he really that proud of the name? If so, someone needs to tell him it's a really rubbish name if you want your character to seem badass.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

I need an explanation for this one.

I think the questionnaire means Bootsie has been drafted, so the other two are looking through his clothes (togs) to take some since he won't be needing then

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

We haven't seen that story with the bear, right? Is it from a previous comic series or novel or is it just an aside?

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

See how a lot of people rag on the dialogue of Sally Forth, but personally I really like strips like the above. It has a refreshing tone with a slight degree of snark and a bit of meta thrown in.

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (September 25 and 27, 1937)

I like Thimble Theatre but, man, even by the standards of the time it's really casual in showing violence against women.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Man, this is some peak Boyce. Joke that makes no sense, manifestly incorrect use of technology, blatant typo in the caption. May be never change.

Every so often Bizarro just nails it.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Haifisch posted:

Footrot Flats

Jesus Wal :stare:

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Selachian posted:

Deathless Deer 4/22-24/43

The Lockbeaks.

I still have absolutely no idea what this strip is supposed to be about.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Mikl posted:

This is completely bonkers. I am here for this.

I've had fever dreams that were more coherent than the plotting of this strip

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

I finally got around to reading The Vision and had to make this:

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

Now there's a boomer joke you don't generally think of as such. Yeah, kids our day could fix computers, because that was what we had to use to do stuff. But kids these days grow up on tablets and cell phones with the same user-friendly interfaces designed for old people. In this day and age you can't even trust that a kid knows what a mouse or trackpad is, let alone where the settings are for fiddling with it.

Christ, reminds me of when I asked students to record audio files, convert them to .mp3 then rename them as [their student number].mp3. You'd think I'd asked them to create a steam engine from scratch with how difficult they found it, especially the renaming part.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Selachian posted:

Deathless Deer 5/13-15/43

I know I keep ragging on this comic but seriously: why does Deer have to stop this plot? Why does she care? She doesn't know what a Nazi is. She probably doesn't even know what London is.

This whole thing is like a series of tenuously connected viginettes with entirely separate main characters, linked by the domestic squabbles of birds.

Daduzi fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 4, 2021

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 9/8/46

Why does Brenda look like she's in the perpetual state of having just smelled a fart?

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Selachian posted:

And so...

The above notice appeared in the July 20 New York Daily News. And if you were a New Yorker, that was the last you saw of Deathless Deer.

Time magazine snidely noted that at the same time the NYDN was claiming paper limitations were forcing them to drop Deer, they also added three more pages of classified ads.

The Time article deserves posting in full because, oof, the writer really did not like Deathless Deer

Time posted:

Who stabbed Baba Waring, leading lady of Folliana, when the lights went out? Most New York Daily News readers probably don't care. Those who do will never know, because Publisher Joe Patterson murdered Deathless Deer (TIME, Oct. 19).

Deathless Deer was nine months old. Joe Patterson himself had fondly named her. She was the only new comic strip he had bought in nine years. The Deer herself was a beauteous Egyptian princess who in the fourth installment suffered death, then awakened 3,000 years later in a U.S. museum. From there she fared forth to undergo some of the dullest adventures ever seen in a comic strip.

Deer's demise was announced in a curt News box. The paper explained that it was forced to reduce editorial and advertising content because WPB had curtailed newsprint. Therefore, Deathless Deer must go. With her, in the issue of July 19, went Embarrassing Moments, Beauty Answers, Love Answers and the stockmarket column. The fact that the News had recently added a three-page classified ad section was not mentioned.

Last week the Chicago Tribune-New York News Syndicate informed 17 subscribing papers (circulation, plus the News's: about 6,000,000) that for them the strip would end Aug. 21. Deathless Deer's authors took it bravely. They are Joe Patterson's pretty, shrewd daughter Alicia and Artist Neysa McMein (magazine covers) They planned to wind up Princess Deer's present parlous situation (she is accused of stabbing Baba Waring), have her say to her lover in the final syndicate installment: "See you after the war." The ladies were whistling in the dark. Deathless Deer was perhaps the most ineptly drawn of all comic strips. The dialogue was stupid and corny. Newsmen settled down to betting on how long Joe Patterson could stand it. Finally, he gave up, and thus death, as it seldom does to U.S. comic strips, came to Deathless Deer.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

Yes, it's the luxurious, flowing hair that gives it away; until that point Aleta had looked just like your average pageboy with a string of pearls and C-cups

The greedy merchant maybe isn't the most attentive guy, is what I'm getting at

Oh come on, Aleta pulled off the disguise well and looks like every other blond page boy in this North African port.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Selachian posted:

Deathless Deer 7/22-24/43

"Deer is my best friend who I met about 3 days ago"

"I'm terribly lonely"

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (November 23-25, 1936)

Have to say, I always enjoy the rare occasions Out Our Way does serial stories. Hope this I've doesn't end with what amounts to "it was all a dream" though.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Johnny Walker posted:

F Minus

Mary Worth

:sickos:

drat, and there's steam coming off at least one of those coffees.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

Ok, so there's a lot of bad comics in this thread. At least with most of those, if they're trying to be funny but failing I can see what the author thought might be funny. Here though? I am utterly oblivious as to what the creator thought anyone would find funny in this dreck.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Green Intern posted:

Beeman get bent oh my god.

I don't think this one is actually that bad? I'm reading it was him saying that though there's more incentive "now" to have more children (due to tax breaks), people don't because kids can be obnoxious noisy fuckers.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set yeah I don't know either.

I think this may be The Dinette Set's "Cow Tools"

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (November 2, 1999)

I'm trying to figure out how this is about sex and coming up blank

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Kennel posted:

I'm picky English user. People who write "catsup" make me retch.

The earliest known use of the word was as "catchup" :eng101:. "Ketchup" is also almost certainly a romanisation of a word from an Asian language from a time before romanisation was standardised so really anything goes.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Green Intern posted:

There are a variety of things this comic might be implying and all of them suck poo poo. Get hosed Kelley

I'm pretty sure it's just saying they asked a woman for service and got told off/ignored because she doesn't work there.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

This is an outstanding example of German post-Modernist art and if memory serves, it was featured in one of the history of the newspaper comics collections I have squirreled away somewhere. Just gorgeous.

Post-modernist in 1906?

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

The_Other posted:

Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 1 - Brassic

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad Site
Steeple Website

Comic Strips 2021: Notorious for my Snoopy

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

I'm still catching up with the thread but I just wanted to say:

1) Mämmilä was wonderful, thanks so much for posting it. I loved its unique format and setting, it was a real insight about a part of the world very little entertainment is made about.

2) This:

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

This is a loving atrocity. It's rare a comic makes my skin crawl but this one managed to pull it off.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Vargo posted:

Curtis would have some words to say to Jordan Peterson...

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Haifisch posted:

Footrot Flats

Can someone help me out here? I thought I was a pretty big rugby fan but I have absolutely no idea who the wolves would be in this context.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Crab Dad posted:

The farmer is coaching youth rugby. The kids quit because of the rain. The dog offers to play with him. The All Blacks is the biggest team in New Zealand and possibly the sport and the wolves are a very old team based out of England.

But who? The only wolves I know of in England are Warrington, and they play rugby league, not union.

I cannot believe how confounded I am by this strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

I know it's been said many many times but it bears repeating: Wallace is so very, very good.

Daduzi fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 21, 2021