Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone done a breakdown of what the hell T1 was thinking with that game 5 draft? Blue side with a 100% win rate in the series and they threw it away for a first pick Karma with Aatrox and Caitlyn up?

Bengi said in an interview that he didn't think they would be picking aatrox in the first 3 picks. Why, I'm unsure. Faker can play a variety of champs so I don't know why the gently caress they didn't just take yone

Also I think they could just not ban heimer.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Bengi said in an interview that he didn't think they would be picking aatrox in the first 3 picks. Why, I'm unsure. Faker can play a variety of champs so I don't know why the gently caress they didn't just take yone

Also I think they could just not ban heimer.
Yeah leaving faker to last pick would've been fine, even after the bans he could have picked one of ryze, sylas or Viktor. And that's before we go into the more random picks like liss, ahri, lb etc

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Vermain posted:

also the caster reaction to the game 5 steal is absolutely hilarious, kobe picks up and hurls his water bottle randomly and then glances behind to make sure he didn't nail someone. i didn't even hear caedrel screaming "WHAT THE gently caress" on air. what a truly insane moment

If Kobe had remained still for another couple of seconds, I think Caedral might have kissed him.

The reaction of the Spanish language casters is also pretty great.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i should go dig through the korean VOD and see what their reaction was like, CT must've been popping off if no one else

with worlds finally over, i'm going to start putting together a new OP that should be done sometime this friday/saturday. no real crazy plans for it; probably gonna have a brief new viewer's guide for people who might be curious and some quick regional summaries with stream links. if anyone's got something they'd like to see and/or thread title suggestions to help the least funny man on this forums not embarrass himself trying to be witty, drop it here and i'll see what i can do

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Pro League of Legends 2023: All Downhill From Here

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Finals peak viewership (non-Chinese) was 5.1 million, breaking the previous Worlds peak by one million.

njsykora posted:

Pro League of Legends 2023: All Downhill From Here

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

having a once-in-a-lifetime story like deft vs. faker must've helped to punch up the numbers a ton, though that's still a shocking number for being in the literal dead of night for every EU country. very curious what the chinese numbers were like

in a nice aside, it looks like DRX actually spent most of the last week scrimming against a rotating mcdonald's roster of guys like dhokla, diamond, pobelter, and tomio thanks to arrow setting things up. the funniest thing is that it might've actually helped out more than you might expect. check out this game dhokla was playing:

https://twitter.com/dhoklalol/status/1589410736107028481

see that botlane? the random lux ban in game 5 might actually have been a direct attempt to counter a strat DRX had no clue about until the scrims

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

what??? but i thought the reason na lost was they had no good practice partners to scrim against??? lol

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
beryl doing the same poo poo he did on dwg and asking for a gacha reference skin for ashe lmao
https://twitter.com/AshleyKang/status/1589240614151151616

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stux posted:

what??? but i thought the reason na lost was they had no good practice partners to scrim against??? lol

this is actually a common occurrence, since, by finals time, almost every losing team will have booked it home for vacation time, so the two finalists have to scrape together whatever offseason gigagrinder regional talent is around into scrim teams. zeus was apparently having to practice 1v1s against revenge, which might explain his finals performance

Luna Was Here posted:

beryl doing the same poo poo he did on dwg and asking for a gacha reference skin for ashe lmao
https://twitter.com/AshleyKang/status/1589240614151151616

might be genuinely one of my favorite pros of all time. dude looks like he couldn't have given less of a gently caress about winning a second worlds title, plays almost no soloq, and spends every waking moment of his free time pulling the gacha lever

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

no i know its just funny thats the complaint and drx scrimmed na players who werent even in the same team, and won worlds

i think zeus was nerves tbh. that was his first time on that big a stage and he was making really basic mistakes he doesnt normally have problems with

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

NA Crowd, I swear to god, if you filter out of the venue while DRX enjoy this moment, I will vilify you forever

as someone who was there, like 95% of the crowd stayed until this end

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8cCxXFSmH8

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Zzzzzzz

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Lmao

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

even the lighting is conspiring to make them look 60 years old

note that 100T recently ditched papasmithy and reapered so they're really looking to go all-in on the "we're just in it for the hoodie branding" meme. god help whatever poor sap has to try to coach this powder keg of a roster

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBlock__/status/1589979338979434497

things are looking rough for lol's 4th major region

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

https://twitter.com/LEC_Wooloo/status/1589976796099141632?s=20&t=6JUxXWMk3QVYqh4G9Yq6Fg

Honestly not upset about it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah with hyli out that could be good.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
wake me up when Forg1ven returns

what ever happened to him, anyway? I know he did his military service

ya know what, let's go hog wild and put him and Dardoch on a team

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

And when your tear is fully stacked
I know that you’ll come crawling back...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

isaboo posted:

wake me up when Forg1ven returns

what ever happened to him, anyway? I know he did his military service

ya know what, let's go hog wild and put him and Dardoch on a team

He came back on Schalke in 2018, was incredibly poo poo, could play 2 champs and quit after 3 weeks when Schalke were 0-6 to be replaced by Innaxe. They beat G2 the week after he quit.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Interesting change to Academy, they're incorporating 6 amateur teams into the mix.
https://twitter.com/PathToLCS/status/1590041468856516609?t=AW22I-c1L1sghxBz4siwMw&s=19

I'm heavily ootl on the amateur scene (outside of God's Gift to Esports RJS) so I'm surprised this is being done in NA as opposed to Europe, I kinda would've figured that most of the developing NA talent worth having would already be in Academy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

Interesting change to Academy, they're incorporating 6 amateur teams into the mix.
https://twitter.com/PathToLCS/status/1590041468856516609?t=AW22I-c1L1sghxBz4siwMw&s=19

I'm heavily ootl on the amateur scene (outside of God's Gift to Esports RJS) so I'm surprised this is being done in NA as opposed to Europe, I kinda would've figured that most of the developing NA talent worth having would already be in Academy.

Europe already has the ERL scene, which is strong enough that the requirement for LEC teams to have Academy teams has been dropped completely. Hopefully this is them looking to transplant that model into the LCS and creating a strong amateur scene in the hopes they can drop Academy teams completely as well.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

njsykora posted:

He came back on Schalke in 2018, was incredibly poo poo, could play 2 champs and quit after 3 weeks when Schalke were 0-6 to be replaced by Innaxe. They beat G2 the week after he quit.

hearsay is that he burned every bridge on the way out, too, which is why he's completely vanished after that. guy was legitimately good in his prime but his ego failed to match pace with his declining skill

Luna Was Here posted:

it's primarily because there's no strong regional leagues that can be relied on to feed the main stage, so the best you get are the collegiate and amateur teams participating in proving grounds, but that's a once-a-year tournament with nothing else big on the table. bringing in more amateur teams is an excellent idea and should hopefully help to boost academy's profile to boot; it's a pretty watchable league overall with some good talent on the desk, but i think NA's reputation precedes it and has pushed it off the radar for most people

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also NA desperately needs the talent training ground for casters and analysts as well, that's one of the lesser talked about benefits of the ERL system that it lets casters get studio experience.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

njsykora posted:

Also NA desperately needs the talent training ground for casters and analysts as well, that's one of the lesser talked about benefits of the ERL system that it lets casters get studio experience.

They can just train on Salty Teemo's stream 24 hours a day, no need for anything else.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Off-season getting real bloody real quick.
https://twitter.com/lec_wooloo/status/1590333606282825729

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Bummed a whole lot for Armut, but Chasy was boatloads of fun to watch this year

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County

Vermain posted:

hearsay is that he burned every bridge on the way out, too, which is why he's completely vanished after that. guy was legitimately good in his prime but his ego failed to match pace with his declining skill
I don't even know that it's hearsay -- Schaalke did a documentary about their "miracle run" during the following split, and Forg1ven was featured heavily in it. He was a super toxic person by all accounts. Carlos tried podcasting a few years ago and interviewed Jankos right when he first joined G2. Jankos completely poo poo on Forg1ven to such a degree that Carlos tried stepping in to change the subject (probably wanted to keep it positive and not bad talk anyone in the community), but Jankos' animosity was so strong he just kept going. Odoamne has a hilarious story about almost getting into a fist fight the night before a Worlds group stage game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B50dVGb9yVI

I recall another story about someone overhearing some H2k players in the bathroom during Worlds getting in a screaming match with each other. Winning cures everything, but if no one wants you even on a minimum salary (the Schaalke doc made it clear Forg1ven was a hail mary risk on a player who potentially had talent but could be had for cheap due to his bad rep), then it's gg for your career.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

should have the new thread up by tomorrow barring something weird, but in the meantime, FTX went loving belly up and the results should not surprise nor alarm you

https://twitter.com/tsmreport/status/1591188830979137536

guessing that means the FTX Gold Advantage is gone from the LCS, too. hopefully they've been scouring for new partnerships for a while now because i don't think statefarm can carry the entire broadcast financially

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mercedes dropped them from their F1 team as well, no point having a logo there when the checks aren't gonna clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

as per The Promise, i have created a new thread

thank you for your service, old thread. we'll miss you