Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I like Event Horizon and Sunshine. Give me more horror movies in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

There’s this one called Prometheus but it’s quality is a little debated

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

no it isn't

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I guess it’s a gray area but since Prometheus takes place almost entirely on a planet is it a space horror or just a sci fi horror?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Ok real answers:
Pitch Black
Ghosts of Mars
Outland

A good recommendation for this thread, but a bad movie, is Lifeforce which is a weird perverted movie with Patrick Stewart

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Endless Trash posted:

I guess it’s a gray area but since Prometheus takes place almost entirely on a planet is it a space horror or just a sci fi horror?

I'd consider it just sci fi horror, like a Pitch Black or what have you.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

poisonpill posted:

Ok real answers:
Pitch Black
Ghosts of Mars
Outland

A good recommendation for this thread, but a bad movie, is Lifeforce which is a weird perverted movie with Patrick Stewart

also, Pandorum

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

I want Mike to explain what he means by time stopping if you hit the speed of light. Also "time-space" lol

I mean it's not that far off, he's just talking about time dilation. If you were inside of a spaceship getting faster and faster, time would appear to pass more slowly for things you observe outside the spaceship, getting slower and slower as you approached the speed of light. That's not really the reason you can't go faster than light though

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

hard counter posted:

i thought it might be kitschy enough for mike with some fun ideas too but i guess he doesn't like it when gross genres touch his hard sci fi
can someone like hard sci fi if they're obsessed with star trek?

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Life
Europa Report
Galaxy of Terror

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Prometheus isn't horror. It's horrible.

:dadjoke:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

This re:View was borderline experimental

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Outland is suspenseful, but is straight up a Western script in space. Other than the grizzly depressurization deaths, not much in the way of horror.

Outland and Alien permanently imprinted my brain on what science fiction should look like. Give me miniatures or give me death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUC3_wkaNGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO_Iar9DIDk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I remember being so disappointed in Outland when I was a little kid. It's set in space... but it's so boring (for a kid).

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

rydiafan posted:

Prometheus isn't horror. It's horrible.

:dadjoke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFr74zI1LBM

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Groovelord Neato posted:

Event Horizon isn't good but the premise is great which is why it's weird Mike hated that too.
QFT. The premise is good enough that it's at least worth a watch, even if the implementation is wanting. It's honestly still better than just about all the attempts at space-based horror that have come along since. Sunshine and Europa Report were oddly lacking; Pandorum was dull; Ghosts of Mars and Prometheus were a trash fire.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am just going through the movies thread mentioned.

I am watching X men workprint now and I will watch Outland tomorrow.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Honestly a remake is a great idea.

You could also do a re-cut that almost entirely removes Stereotype Black Character, redo some sound, and mess with digital grading filters to make it feel less like a movie from that weird dark period of the late 90s and early 00s where everything was lovely in an unexplainable way.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Endless Trash posted:

Sci fi can't be horror. Twitter already solved this

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Honestly a remake is a great idea.

You could also do a re-cut that almost entirely removes Stereotype Black Character, redo some sound, and mess with digital grading filters to make it feel less like a movie from that weird dark period of the late 90s and early 00s where everything was lovely in an unexplainable way.

Yeah, an Event Horizon remake would be good. It wouldn't really have to be a straight up remake of the movie as an attempt to do something with the same premise, but good.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
On a whim I am rewatching Mystery Men for the first time since like.....2000.

It's weird as hell and I'd like to see another super hero film shot like it. How did this movie even happen?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Event Horizon has a lot going for it, absolutely worth a watch because even if you end up not thinking its a good movie you'll still find plenty to like

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The ship even has Jeffries Tubes! I don't get that Mike Stoklasa sometimes

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

they're only Jeffries tubes if they're from the Jeffries school of set design, those are just sparkling Die Hards

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, an Event Horizon remake would be good. It wouldn't really have to be a straight up remake of the movie as an attempt to do something with the same premise, but good.

Just picturing the possibilities from a very earnest Denis Villeneuve sci-fi horror to an I don't know who absolute gutwrenching splatterfest.

The concept of meat humans passing through hell and out the other side in a cursed spaceship loaded with Poltergeist times a million evil psychic energy for more victims to discover is one of the sci-fi / horror plots you could do an infinite number of things with.

I'd kill to be someone with script control on a remake of Event Horizon.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Why bother with an Event Horizon remake when they could just make a movie about a 40k ship going into the warp and it's geller shields malfunction and chaos seeps into the ship. I mean, that's the premise of Event Horizon, is it not?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Supernova has at least 2 reasons to watch its brand of space horror!

boobs

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Cutedge posted:

Why bother with an Event Horizon remake when they could just make a movie about a 40k ship going into the warp and it's geller shields malfunction and chaos seeps into the ship. I mean, that's the premise of Event Horizon, is it not?

Nobody who's had an orgasm in another person with consent can answer that question.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

QFT. The premise is good enough that it's at least worth a watch, even if the implementation is wanting. It's honestly still better than just about all the attempts at space-based horror that have come along since. Sunshine and Europa Report were oddly lacking; Pandorum was dull; Ghosts of Mars and Prometheus were a trash fire.

Surprised to hear all the hate for Sunshine in this thread, I thought it was great. Definitely better than Event Horizon. Haven't seen it since it came out in theaters though, might have to give it a rewatch and see if it holds up

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Pizza Segregationist posted:

Surprised to hear all the hate for Sunshine in this thread, I thought it was great. Definitely better than Event Horizon. Haven't seen it since it came out in theaters though, might have to give it a rewatch and see if it holds up

As Sunshine Fan Alpha Prime, everyone ITT is pretty much right.

It's really, really good, with amazing setpieces and great performances and one of the all timer film scores built around such a thin premise.

And it shits the bed when the movie becomes a slasher flick right at the very end.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

James Spader helps push Supernova up the enjoyable schlock ladder.

Edit: Supernova not Sunshine. I'm starting to catch the dementia.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
After watching this re:View, and knowing his thoughts on stuff like Star Trek and Starship Troopers, I would love it if someone came along and tried to explain Warhammer 40k to Mike Stoklasa. He'd probably have an existential crisis or something.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Fuckin' Independence Day 2, man. That piece of poo poo is so bad.

I want to remind the RLM thread that Mike liked Independence Day 2

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The weirdest part of it turning into a slasher flick is it still works when there's a crazy unknown guy sabotaging the mission.

They just took it that one step too far. The finale should have been the crazy guy sabotaged some poo poo and the next-to-final-survivor does the big sacrifice because he has to go down with the broken ship.

Instead it's a duel between the slasher and last survivor and it kills the whole feel of the movie that Cillian Murphy wasn't saving the world with a noble sacrifice, but just besting some crispy dickhead.

It's weak and stinks of corporate interference.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They were all going down with the ship anyway in Sunshine weren't they? I remember thinking it was a suicide mission from the start and the movie never gave them an out with like an escape ship or something.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FuturePastNow posted:

I want to remind the RLM thread that Mike liked Independence Day 2

He also liked Jurassic World

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

He also liked Jurassic World

And the Last Jedi and basically all the Marvel movies.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Mike was describing me exactly when he asked if there were kids who saw Event Horizon and were horrified at the time but now nostalgic about it like he was about Rawhead Rex. I was scared out of my mind when I somehow got a VHS of this movie at age 12 but still had to share it with other friends, like it was the video from the Ring or something, like the real poo poo that no one knew about. One of my friends adopted "Here I come, motherfuckers!" as a football battle cry. I loved it on every level, the goofyness of Cooper, the creeping dread of the message in latin, the suspense of the airlock scene, the visceral horror of uh everything, Sam Neil's awesome but sometimes humorous transformation to demonhood. Event Horizon loving owns, and the world needs way more space demon movies

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

And the Last Jedi

Wait, he did? I saw that HITB, the one where he shouted that Rian Johnson put Star Wars "in a loving grave", right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

After watching this re:View, and knowing his thoughts on stuff like Star Trek and Starship Troopers, I would love it if someone came along and tried to explain Warhammer 40k to Mike Stoklasa. He'd probably have an existential crisis or something.

Rocking back and forth "this isn't like star trek"