Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

The blind interview where Dominic kept trolling him was incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xqEABqaEuo

the way it cuts off elijah's laugh is a loving tragedy, in here, the rich evans thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

Prequels have a lot of lame parts but "the jedi are hypocrites" isnt one of them imo

Yes it is lol. I can't think of a single part of how the Jedi are portrayed in the prequels that isn't inconsistent with the original films.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yes it is lol. I can't think of a single part of how the Jedi are portrayed in the prequels that isn't inconsistent with the original films.

Would you have preferred the jedi were noble paragons of justice, but lost to the old zombie guy anyways, that seems like it would make for a very dumb set of movies

The whole "Jedi were actually hypocritical losers who brought their own end" idea is fine, and not incongruous with the OT at all (we were being told how cool the jedi were by one of those hypocritical losers)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"Let me tell you about the Jedi" - A weird old hermit

Sure bro, first tell me why you spent the last 50 years hiding out in a desert in the galactic equivalent of Alaska.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

Would you have preferred the jedi were noble paragons of justice, but lost to the old zombie guy anyways, that seems like it would make for a very dumb set of movies

The whole "Jedi were actually hypocritical losers who brought their own end" idea is fine, and not incongruous with the OT at all (we were being told how cool the jedi were by one of those hypocritical losers)

Why would we want the Jedi to return if they were hypocritical failures and Luke's mentors were both liars about everything.

And as we've discussed before the OT gives the audience the sense the Jedi were fairly rare to begin with and certainly wouldn't have been an arm of the government with a giant temple next to the senate

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Why would we want the Jedi to return if they were hypocritical failures and Luke's mentors were both liars about everything.

people love Star Wars because it's a timeless tale about how both sides are pretty bad really and nothing matters or will ever make anything better for the people

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Because maybe he'd do better, as evident when he decides killing his dad would be whack

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Imagine how the emotion of this scene is totally deflated if you accept the prequels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSGgODCqpFQ

Palpatine: "Uhhh actually your dad was a whiny bitch that wanted power all the time and also the Jedi were a failed arm of the government that let me take power."

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Idk how the concept of failing to live up to an ideal is so novel and confusing

Luke's idea of a jedi is evidently less lovely than scanning kids for force germs & militarizing to intervene in trade disputes & revolutions

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You consistently have the worst non-Josh takes here so defending the objectively bad and inconsistent-with-the-OT prequels makes sense.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Imagine how the emotion of this scene is totally deflated if you accept the prequels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSGgODCqpFQ

Palpatine: "Uhhh actually your dad was a whiny bitch that wanted power all the time and also the Jedi were a failed arm of the government that let me take power."

Palpatine: the Jedi were protectors of a bureaucracy that had the power to end slavery on Tatooine but did nothing, leaving your grandmother to die of rape torture. Not a good look chief.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

You consistently have the worst non-Josh takes here so defending the objectively bad and inconsistent-with-the-OT prequels makes sense.

Whatever helps you feel better I guess

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm the one with the right take I don't need to feel better lol

Isn't it weird that an Imperial officer who's old enough to remember the Jedi talks poo poo to Vader to his face about his religion? Weird thing to do to a guy who's some kind of superhuman member of an order that was a major arm of the government.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I love the smell of Star Wars on may the fourth. It smells like..... burning trash

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Luke: while throwing his lightsaber to the ground after refusing to take his evil fathers life declares “I am a Jedi”

Also Luke: While catching Reys thrown lightsaber “a Jedi’s weapon deserves more respect”

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Neurolimal posted:

Idk how the concept of failing to live up to an ideal is so novel and confusing

Luke's idea of a jedi is evidently less lovely than scanning kids for force germs & militarizing to intervene in trade disputes & revolutions

The Jedis in the prequel weren't failing to live up to a noble ideal. They just sucked. They were emotionless dispute arbitrators. That's a stupid ideal.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Neurolimal posted:

he's right

it dosnt make any sense for the jedi to be good

if theyre good, why are they dead?

qed

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I'm beginning to think this whole "star wars" thing might be incoherent nonsense.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Even if it was badly written intentionally, it's still badly written.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm the one with the right take I don't need to feel better lol

Isn't it weird that an Imperial officer who's old enough to remember the Jedi talks poo poo to Vader to his face about his religion? Weird thing to do to a guy who's some kind of superhuman member of an order that was a major arm of the government.

Neurolimal posted:

Prequels have a lot of lame parts

That said i dont give a poo poo about time discrepencies at all, make the prequels take place 200 years ago, explain the PT-OT characters as being kept alive via force shenanigans, who cares, pick up a foot ball

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
We can blame Mike for this. he never should have elevated Star Wars 1 to such a level.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

can we talk about Cop Dog

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They don't take place 200 years ago they take place <20 years prior to the OT. The OT does give the sense the events of any "prequels" would've taken place much longer ago but they don't. Blame George.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Groovelord Neato posted:

Imagine how the emotion of this scene is totally deflated if you accept the prequels
As well it should be

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

We could talk about Shin Ultraman but they haven't released anything since the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t6qYNNkVlE

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hopefully the first effects shot is WIP because Shin Godzilla looked way better even with a low budget. I was legitimately shocked when I saw its budget.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They also announced Shin Kamen Rider* but all we have for that is the poster

*no relation to the previous Shin Kamen Rider

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

well people did want star wars

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Gripweed posted:

We could talk about Shin Ultraman but they haven't released anything since the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t6qYNNkVlE

gently caress. YEAH.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

weird how I can feel the uncanny valley of CGI Ultraman instead of a guy in a suit

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

And as we've discussed before the OT gives the audience the sense the Jedi were fairly rare to begin with and certainly wouldn't have been an arm of the government with a giant temple next to the senate

Yeah pretty much. Going off the OT alone it paints what feels like a fairly obvious picture of them being a bunch of diffuse, low key Gandalfs trying to do good work at a subtle level to the point that even well informed denizens would see them as a fairly tale faction and not believe in the force.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Groovelord Neato posted:

Hopefully the first effects shot is WIP because Shin Godzilla looked way better even with a low budget. I was legitimately shocked when I saw its budget.

I love Neronga

Reality Protester posted:

weird how I can feel the uncanny valley of CGI Ultraman instead of a guy in a suit

I think they're going for that. The Shin version is based off a painting done by the original character designer

This is Ultraman without all of the compromises necessary to actually make the suit. The zipper-hiding back frill, the thickness at the wrists and ankles, the folds, the eye holes, even the color timer. What's revealed is an uncanny alien being.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I think if something like Rick's interdimensional cable box was invented and we could watch infinity different shows from infinity different timelines people would still just talk about 9 movies from their own timeline for the rest of their lives.

Edit: That Ultraman looks sick though I haven't seen that trailer.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Why be hopeful for Luke at the end of ROTJ if it doesnt matter how good a person he'll be, he will still get squashed by a weird evil dude if he fails the cosmic dice roll

If you accept the idea that old jedi were A-holes, then that opens up the possibility of not having weird fascist empires because the new jedi aren't A-holes, seems like a more optimistic & hopeful ending imo

E: shin ultramans gonna be great

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

I don't know the deep Ultraman lore and assumed he was a regular-ish guy who transforms into Ultraman. If he supposed to be an alien, it worked.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I only know him from the hit kids' show Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad (though that's actually Gridman but he looks very similar to Ultraman).

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Mill Creek recently released all the Ultramans on bluray. Including the first series that doesn’t include Ultraman and it’s sequel series from several decades later.

https://youtu.be/VeiK3PZcxrU

https://youtu.be/oVc0t9zmW8w

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Reality Protester posted:

I don't know the deep Ultraman lore and assumed he was a regular-ish guy who transforms into Ultraman. If he supposed to be an alien, it worked.

Ultraman is an alien who was chasing a space monster when he accidentally crashed into Shin Hayata's plane. The only way Ultraman could save Hayata was by merging together with him, and his power would sustain and heal Hayata over time. While they were merged Hayata could transform into Ultraman to defend the earth, but only for three minutes at a time because earth's atmosphere is harmful to him. Ultraman ended up staying for some time after Hayata no longer need him because he grew fond of humanity, and only left when the stress of staying on earth became too dangerous for him and he felt that humanity could protect itself.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

After that a variety of Ultras have come to various earths. Most of them have some kind of deal similar to Ultraman, where they share a body with a human. but some of them, such as Ultraseven and Ultraman Orb, are aliens who assume human form to live on earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gutcruncher posted:

Mill Creek recently released all the Ultramans on bluray. Including the first series that doesn’t include Ultraman and it’s sequel series from several decades later.

https://youtu.be/VeiK3PZcxrU

https://youtu.be/oVc0t9zmW8w

Ultra Q is somewhat hit or miss but can be really fantastic. And Neo Ultra Q is just fantastic.