Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm 10 minutes into The Suicide Squad and it's already 10/10 movie of the year because Pete Davidson literally gets his face blown clean off.

edit: Lol this intro action sequence really is as if Troma got the film rights to a DC movie.

lol so it's starts with the team getting wiped out? That's exactly the way it should start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The Definitely Dead Squad.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm enjoying the riff on how the first movie introduced the characters then introduced the characters again

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

If I was writing and directing a Suicide Squad movie I would do the fancy character intro with nameplates as they are actively being killed or incapacitated on-screen

it would function as the opening credits too

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I gotta say, that was pretty damned fun. At the very least, Gunn is doing something different with the punchman movies.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Wait, Captain Kangaroo is played by the same guy? So this is not a reboot.

edit: and he is done.

edit2, I like the long hair guy, is he a parody of Danny Trejo?

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 6, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

stephenthinkpad posted:

it's not a reboot that just doesn't acknowledge the other movie ever existed

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yep, this is definitely a sequel (though kind of an Evil Dead 2 sequel where it expects no one to have seen the original).

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am 15 minutes in and I am already glad James Gunn got cancelled and fall into this project.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm very happy with Stallone playing King Shark and James Gunn continuing his legacy of killing Michael Rooker in a dumb way early on.

I'm going to watch the second half.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I thought The Suicide Squad was really good. It has a lot of wasted space and scenes that are questionably useful to anything but it flows well and a lot of jokes land and it feels like a real movie (unlike Suicide Squad).

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

NorgLyle posted:

I thought The Suicide Squad was really good. It has a lot of wasted space and scenes that are questionably useful to anything but it flows well and a lot of jokes land and it feels like a real movie (unlike Suicide Squad).

Also, who knew Altered Carbon (Season 1) guy could actually act?

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

LanceHunter posted:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1423279997318418438?s=20

I will say, South Park has held up in its later seasons far better than The Simpsons. Maybe it's because it always had pretty big ups and downs, so you expect no less from the new seasons.

I will be sad to see it move from HBOMax to Paramount+, though.

ViacomCBS discovers that it has a second marketable IP. Alex Kurtzman in talks to take over as showrunner.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly, good. I love South Park. More South Park forever, please.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The Suicide Squad was fun and good. Totally worth the watch

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Honestly, good. I love South Park. More South Park forever, please.

I don't love all the episodes, the pc principal poo poo is brutal imo, but they have a ridiculous amount of bangers.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Okay, stop the presses! How did I just learn about this today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMMLRnXPPJk

I am officially counting down the days.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I don't love all the episodes, the pc principal poo poo is brutal imo, but they have a ridiculous amount of bangers.

PC Principal doesn’t work as a plot device, but since they’ve relaxed and kept him around I think he works GREAT as a character. My favorite episode of all time forever was Scott Tenorman but it was usurped by Tweek x Craig, which is a PC Principal episode.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Some of The Suicide Squad could be grating, and the serious/sentimental bits feel pretty unearned if you start to think about them at all. But it was fun and insane enough that I really enjoyed it, and it didn’t make me feel any of the depressed existential dread that Marvel/DC movies usually do. Good watch

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

PC Principal doesn’t work as a plot device, but since they’ve relaxed and kept him around I think he works GREAT as a character. My favorite episode of all time forever was Scott Tenorman but it was usurped by Tweek x Craig, which is a PC Principal episode.

Ok that's good to hear, i ground to a halt on his first season and haven't been back, but I've been meaning to.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Man I think the combination of funny promotions and Reynolds’ charm is working on me because I kinda wanna see Free Guy now. Julie Comer and Taika Waititi too? Hell yeah.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Between Black Widow and Suicide Squad and Winter Soldier and the Punisher and Guardians and so on I didn't realize there were so many superheroes whose power is Gun.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
All problems can be solved with bullets

Truly American superheroes.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 6, 2021

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Also, how many Deadpools are there? There's the white guy at the end of Justice League on the Lex Luthor boat, there's Will Sith, and now Idris Elba.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

We should start some kinda pool to bet on who'll be the next one

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Eagerly awaiting Ice Cube as Deaddeath and some wrestler as Cumshot

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The Suicide Squad was fun. Watched it with my gore loving 13 year old kid and we had a good time. Still don't think I'll be showing them Super or Slither any time soon.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

its all nice on rice posted:

I think his mom watched. She's the blindfolded old woman just watching him fail a test of temptation. One theory I read is that the lady is one of the other witches the mother cast the spell with in the beginning of the movie. The lady has the same hair style as one of them when Gawain arrives at the lord's house.

I think I’ve got a decent enough grasp one the movie, but what was up with the giants?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

BgRdMchne posted:

I think I’ve got a decent enough grasp one the movie, but what was up with the giants?

No clue. Maybe they wanted to eat him and that's why the fox stepped in.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Someone linked this guy and I've been watching his videos, he's alright, usually points out something I missed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Dba8p94Jc

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

BgRdMchne posted:

In the GK thread one goon suggested that they are a metaphor for being carried by your mother, because the giants are these ethereal and otherworldly being that clearly seen as nurturing and sweet because they have babies and you can see them being really motherly and I thought that was pretty cool.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

The South Park musical is basically the only musical I can stand to watch. I generally hate musicals but Bigger Longer and Uncut is one I absolutely adore. The songs are insanely well written.
They're excellent composers with an extreme grasp on the clichés that make a good musical tune. See the success of that Mormon musical.

And Trey Parker is a good keyboardist, he plays a mean clavinet on most of the Chef Aid album tracks (including the Chocolate Salty Balls which has some awesome clav grooves)

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

priznat posted:

Man I think the combination of funny promotions and Reynolds’ charm is working on me because I kinda wanna see Free Guy now. Julie Comer and Taika Waititi too? Hell yeah.

I just read a review of it and I can't wait to see what this is referring to:

Free Guy’s villain — scenery-devouring Taika Waititi, who looks to be having the most fun of anyone in the film (which is saying something in a movie starring the perpetually sunny Reynolds) — gives not one, but two speeches about corporate greed and spinning out endless sequels with familiar characters and properties to make money off an existing stable of IP instead of making something new and original.

Free Guy positions this as an ostensibly bad thing — only for the film to spin on its heels and throw in some of the most egregious cross-promotional references this side of Space Jam: A New Legacy in the final act. (It is possible to pinpoint the exact second of the post-production process that Disney’s acquisition of 20th Century Fox was completed.)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Is the green knight the good kind of pretentious self masturbatory movie drenched in metaphor or the bad kind?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

DangerDummy! posted:

The Suicide Squad was fun. Watched it with my gore loving 13 year old kid and we had a good time. Still don't think I'll be showing them Super or Slither any time soon.

Show him Super, it’s funny and would make a good conversation piece without being too bloody (wait a few years on Slither lol).

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The overly long Harley Quinn solo scenes annoyed me more than autopiloted sentimental scenes. They seem to belonged in a different movie, a generic heist movie where Margot Robbie is the producer.

The scenes between Iris Elba and cartoonly wrestling man are very funny. I think they out deadpooled Deadpool. I watched Guardians 2 once and I don't need to watch it again. This one I might watch it again.

This is basically a kid taking his favorite superhero (super douchebags) action figures and smashing them and doing sound noice effects with his mouth. Fun stuff.

edit, also watch out for Idris Elba's gut look amazingly fit whenever his helmet is on lol.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 6, 2021

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

poisonpill posted:

Show him Super, it’s funny and would make a good conversation piece without being too bloody (wait a few years on Slither lol).

Elliott Page rapes Rainn Wilson in that movie, you’ve got much worse things to explain than the gore

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

uh isn't there also a bit in super where a dude gets his head smashed in with a hammer

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Yes, and yes.

Either I don't remember it as well as I think, or I'm trying to toughen this kid up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I remember letting my 9 year old neice watch Starship Troopers with me, she especially loved the bit where some insect decapitates a bunch of dudes with its wings.

It was poetic as I was scarred by Robocop at the same age.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 6, 2021