Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

quote:

Red Letter Medias Res 2021 gently caress YOU IT'S JANUARY, AGAIN

It happened again?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Luke's arc in TLJ sucks cause he didn't need an arc at all.

Infinity War did a good thing not giving almost anyone an arc, because they had already had them, and the audience knew it. Luke's already has his and the audience knows it. Leia, Luke, Han, and Chewie should have been firmly secondary characters. They should have leveraged what we already knew about Luke to measure the new characters' arcs against, and have him dealing with more external conflicts.

Having Luke deal with an identity crisis was stupid. There's not one moment when anyone watching didn't know he would 'come to his senses' at the end of the movie. It was completely spinning wheels, and one of the dumbest things about a movie full of really dumb things.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

It was always obvious that Mike created a genre of movie essay videos; but he just might be one of the biggest trendsetters in Youtube history if all sorts of long-form videos spawned from his example.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Quantum of Phallus posted:

"Daeny just kinda... forgot about the Iron Fleet" is my favourite behind-the-scenes line in anything ever. A microcosm of the stupidity of later GoT

I'm sure some editor got fired, because there's no way a writer says something like this, and doesn't immediately say, "oh my god cut that out"

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

They really got a lot of mileage out of Chris Elliot's small hand.

Scary Movie 3 is good though.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Coming 2 America is: Bad

Also, more than half of it is in the throne room in Zemunda. I'm pretty sure all that footage was shot in a weekend.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Jose Oquendo posted:

I would suggest watching the first 3 seasons and just stopping there. The Netflix seasons are loving awful.

I was going to say they have some good moments; but the more I think about it, the whole package is such a miss that it actually makes the rest of the show worse in retrospect. Don't watch seasons 4 and 5.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Groovelord Neato posted:

They put COLIN loving JOST in Coming 2 America????

For like 3 minutes. He's the Dukes grandson.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Event Horizon is legitimately unsettling, until it gets to the demon gore, then it's just schlocky and entertaining. I had a similar experience with The Descent, which scares the poo poo out of me, until the cave monsters show up - but I just shut that one off at that point.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I saw Beverly Hills Cop for the first time and I liked it. Mike always has me thinking of the "not gays". I was kind of surprised that straight men say "I love you" to each other multiple times in that movie to other men without any gay panic jokes. Eddie Murphy does a fake gay thing at one point, but still.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Jay was right about the millie bobby brown scenes holy poo poo

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I refuse to believe there was ever a time when the name Dick wasn't funny.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I think I liked the new MST3K more than I didn't like it; but yeah, their machine-gun joke pacing is just exhausting. Also, when they're riffing, sometimes their voices come close enough that I can't tell who's making the joke and it's distracting. Another thing, which isn't the new show's fault, is that the jokes and reference in the old MST3k often shot over my head, so those were fun to learn about as I got older - but that's just a personal hang up.

I have the Riff Trax twitch channel up a lot of the time in the background, they're great. Every single Mary Jo and Bridget Nelson riff is hilarious. The main guys are great, but I always laugh out loud on the MH and Bridget ones.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Rich and Mike are a match made in heaven.

Mike gives Rich a living because some celebrities signal boosted his Star Wars videos.

You could not write a better character than Rich Evans just is; so Mike has endless content.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Instead of the Oscars, I watched Scanners for the first time ever - I liked it a lot. There's a reason to watch after the guy's head explodes it turns out.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Thanks thread for helping my reconcile what's missing from the new MST3K. There is something inimitable about comedy by midwesterners. Joel Hodgson tells a story about when the show started, they set up an answering machine, and were getting thick Fargo accent messages like, "Ohh, yahh, you boys are really on-ta somethin'"

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Adam Driver sings like an angel in A Marriage Story

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

LASER WHIPS

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Invincible season 1 is pretty meh; but I remember the comics started slow up to this point too, and I really enjoyed what I read of them. I'm glad it's getting a 2nd season to see where it goes.

I'm also optimistic because it actually has a full story already written, and won't be one of the many, many shows that don't know where they're going more than one episode in advance. Also, Michael Dorn is in an episode.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I pictured young Rich, hands together, pensively watching Mike while he's on the phone yelling, "ME AND MY FRIEND RICH EVANS AREN'T COMING BACK!"

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I saw Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the first time today. Wow, that movie aged really well. I was looking for some kind of making-of doc or something but came up empty. If anyone knew of one out there, I'd appreciate it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Hey, thank you so much.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Baronjutter posted:

I like how Jake Sisko grows up to be Tony Todd and makes me cry every time.

I actually cried watching The Visitor the first time.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Galewolf posted:

Peak Josh is claiming that saying "I want that juicy Shaq meat" would be "out of character".

Goddamn, what a dweeblord.

"I'm the straight man. That's why people think I'm so unfunny."

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Just saw Pig. Sweet, rainy day movie.

I think this Nic Cage role is his number 2 for me behind H. I. McDunnough

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Rifftrax got something like $500k

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I remember back when Conan lost the Tonight Show, the closest he got to commenting on Leno was something like:

[talking about Leno] 'Might I be upset about being asked to give up a job and a show I love so a new guy can come in and take over? Yes, definitely. Would I pass the show over, shake my successor's hand, wish him luck, and then take it back? No, I wouldn't do that.'

It's hard to say if that show / timeslot ever would've worked for Conan, but he absolutely got cut off below the knees too early to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Rifftrax on Twitch is doing 24 hours of SW Holiday Special