Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Son of Rodney posted:

Hello fellow goons can someone please tell me what the gently caress is going on itt and what red letter media is and why it seems to be the one YouTube channel that goons really, really like?

Is it the same guy who made the episode I to III play by play reviews why they're so horrible? It's movie talk??

Those two main guys are total hacks, but Rich Evans is an internationally renowned celebrity with extensive broadcast TV talk show experience. You tune in to watch the smooth talking master of wordplay work his magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

colonelwest posted:

They lived in their own filth, constantly struggled to stave off starvation, died horrible deaths at young ages from what are now easily preventable disease, and endured excruciatingly painful and dangerous childbirths.

Yeah, I hate Mondays too.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

colonelwest posted:

Give away all of your possessions including your clothes and run off to live in a remote tropical jungle, then tell me how happy you are.

Keep a check on this guy, I think we have a bona fide brain genius in here! Nothing gets past him!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Avatar loving owned, Cameron basically invented a whole new way of making 3D movies that blew everything else out of the water, and nobody's been able to emulate it since despite trillion dollar budgets, lol.

Also as certain podcast said, it was the one time in American history the American audiences stood up and cheered as the movie showed them Vietcong brutally eviscerating US troops.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If it didn't happen, it's only because they were too stunned by the transcendental beauty of Pandora and the rich narrative weaved through it to move.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

LanceHunter posted:

A podcast that never heard of Return of the Jedi.

George Lucas definitely didn't intend the storm troopers to be seen as Americans, unlike Cameron who literally made a movie about American soldiers getting killed in the most gruesome ways in the name of justice.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Again, as he himself says, a generic underdogs vs. empire archetype riffing on the cultural tone of the time, vs. biting literal (not figurative) USMC troopers in half in the middle of the post 9/11 fetishization of all things military.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

jsoh posted:

he says the rebels are like the viet cong and america is the empire. he says america is the empire in this video

metaphorically, as part of a broader commentary on imperialism

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

colonelwest posted:

Cameron has that stereotypical Boomer anti-Vietnam-war activist conception and hatred of the military. He’s not necessarily wrong about the military-industrial complex, but he goes about it in such a childish, dated and reductionist way. His conception of politics never advanced beyond the early 70’s.

Indeed, we should be actively finding novel, innovative ways to humiliate the military and brutally dismember their cultural effigies to show our contempt, we shouldn't be tied to the old ways. Sadly, nobody's willing to pick up the torch.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

jsoh posted:

they cant be literally america because its in fuckin space

Counterpoint: The Avater: The Movie

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Listen, the point is that Lucas made people watch an abstract representation of an empire getting their rear end kicked in an abstract sanitized colonial war, while the superior film, Avatar, made the audience watch as their neighbor's son Jimmy who shipped to Afghanistan had his limbs torn off by a pterodactyl.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Now that it's passed can we all admit that the moral panic about ESL Finger Family videos on YouTube was ridiculously overblown and was mostly just parents projecting their guilt and insecurity about letting their iPad babysit their kids onto stupid but completely harmless childrens entertainment.

The panic wasn't overblown, but it should have been about parents being lovely, not about the videos themselves.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Endless Trash posted:

Not if Mike, Rich and Jay from RedLetterMedia have anything to say about it

Jay has been dutifully killing ICU patients in the Milwaukee area to keep them from entering COVID statistics.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Trying to look up that awful robot face character I found out the ships in Discovery apparently travel by using mushrooms.

Is that for real and who watches that garbage.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I wish best of luck to the brave attorneys holding back the deluge of crap that is dubbed "content".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I love Sheev

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

priznat posted:

Oh good Ubisoft (?!) is making an open world star wars game. I wonder what the geegaw to collect will be. Force stars? Vials of midichlorians?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2021/01/13/ubisoft-massive-are-making-an-open-world-star-wars-game/

Jester Dexter has lost the menu of his famous diner! Will you help him rebuild by collecting snacks scattered throughout the world? Quest sponsored by DoritosTM

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Quantum of Phallus posted:

He’s wasted in most films tbh. Such a good actor.

I really enjoyed his incomprehensible mumbling in Hannibal

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

LanceHunter posted:

Weird. The crazy director/writer/star seemed to embrace the episode. I see the copyright claim is from "ONErpm Light". ONErmp seems to be a music distribution service. And sure enough, her music is released there. How a music claim happened this late in the game instead of being an auto-flag is perplexing.

I'm confident the "music distribution service" is one guy in a dirty living room who manually files claims if he finds something to take down.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hard counter posted:

i dunno how to break this to you but the jenny perverts are exactly the same people as the rich evans perverts

Rich Evans is a (c)hunk of a man who isn't afraid to style himself as an overwhelmingly sexual being, unlike the weirdo womanchild you keep posting.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

colonelwest posted:

George Lucas is going to direct the new post-Trump cut.

“I want more 500 more birds in the pigeon lady scenes.”

“But George we’re just here to change the Trump cameo.”

“I want more birds! Make them crows.”

“But George she’s the PIGEON lady... sighhh fine.”

He's gonna put some jpgs of rocks over Trump, problem solved

Also Kevin is renamed to Kailooni McBlembugu

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

Unless Trump somehow is still making money off Home Alone 2, editing him out is the dumbest performative thing to do.

my thoughts and prayers go to Donald Trump for suffering this injustice

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Marv shot first

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gutcruncher posted:

drat you’re right we should change art after the fact as public opinion changes.

Unrelated movie clip:
https://youtu.be/J2_tJIgfnDA

Right, editing out five seconds of the cultural milestone that is Home Alone 2 is the new burning of the Library of Alexandria

Don't worry, they aren't coming for your Trumpy Bear collection

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Who gives a flying gently caress, its funny

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gutcruncher posted:

“We should edit art 25 years later as opinions change” is still bullshit whether it’s a pointless cameo in a disposable comedy or a major scene in a timeless classic.

Actually more stupid cultural bullshit should be chaotically defaced by the very forces that gave them birth as a symptom of their desperate struggle to maintain the legitimacy of the status quo during the accelerating death spiral of capitalism, it's cool, it's hilarious, and more artistic and poignant than the worthless, fetid media commodities they are trying to purge ever could hope to be.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 17, 2021

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
God, it's still not ou? how long have they been working on this loving Snyder poo poo, it feels like ten years

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Taintrunner posted:

At some point one of these bullshit fictional universes needs to go all-in on alt-history and have like Professor McGonagall (sp?) and her army of giant stone knights just carving up Nazis left and right or what the gently caress ever

Edit: transformers at least had secret agent bumblebee

Professor McGonagall is the best friend of Dumbledore, the chief architect and intellectual father of the Holocaust.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I noped out of the books with Order of Phoenix when the magic terrorists started blowing up bridges and I realized that, oh god, JK Rowling is about to get Politically Relevant on this bitch and the rest of the series is gonna be nothing but her deranged political manifesto hiding behind a veneer of YA fiction.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hard counter posted:

i think people are reading way too much into the politics of harry potter, at least in so far as the existence of a secret wizarding society is definitely more of a conceit to transplant most of our world into that setting because in real life nobody has supernatural powers so the only way the two ideas could co-exist in a single piece of fiction, even in the mind of a child, is if people w/supernatural powers lived in secrecy with some kind of colossal ruse maintaining the illusion that they don't, it's a simple idea that works well with kids

that's absolutely a choice of setting, stuff like choosing to not to tear down the illusion at the end of the series in a revolutionary act is yet another conceit to let little kids make pretend that there's magic in the real world and that maybe one day they'll get their own letter from hogwarts, while other conceits like upper class wizards bullying low class wizards let little kids ground the fantastic with reflections of things not unlike their own experiences... and so on

i don't even like the books, i stopped at the second one and i don't regard the films as being especially good, but it's fair to say those types of literary conceits help create the immersion and sense of wonder that made the books so freakishly popular with kids in the first place

the problem is aging rear end harry potter fans, instead of eventually moving on to fiction targeted at adults where writers can deal more thoughtfully with all kinds of issues, just keep reading their one book through their now 30 year old eyes

By the second half of the series the pretense of "this is just for kids" had been fully abandoned and Rowling was writing from her personal perspective as a stunted but comfortable drooling adult with a delusion that mindlessly giving up on change and embracing the status quo was mature politics, for fellow stunted drooling adults with the same anti-intellectual tendencies.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's really interesting that Dumbledore provided full material and institutional support to the leaders of at least two Nazi coup attempts in their effort to destroy democracy and genocide all humans, and then he was each time magic-Paperclipped back into serving the supposedly liberal status quo regime while all the traces linking him to the magic-Nazis were systematically erased and Dumbledore was installed as the head of a youth paramilitary training and brainwashing camp posing as a "magic school" that would provide the government with elite secret police personnel and other agents with which the magic-state would violently suppress all dissenters and wage psychological warfare on its own population and where the teachers were Dumbledore's fellow ex-Nazi refugees with scrubbed personal records and half the students came from Nazi families evading arrest and openly conspiring to use the training provided by ]Skorzeny Dumbledore through ODESSA Hogwarts as a means to empower magic-Werwolf militias to return them to positions of power, all the while the liberal government looks on passively because it's more afraid of magic-progressives than of the magic-Nazis and considers the empowering of Nazis o be an asset for their own magic-GLADIO plans.

:thunk:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

au contraire

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Galewolf posted:

So, was that her attempt on clinging to relevancy through the most "Hello there, fellow children" meme-esque way?

I still cannot wrap my head around how you can NOT mention Dumbledore being gay through thousands of pages if that was a thing since the beginning? You know, you don't have to "headcanon" your own books.

Well, that retcon brought us Jude Law in extremely (:heysexy:) tight fitting 20s suit and possible Mads "goth eye makeup creepy videogame Mads" Mikkelsen sex.

Nah, her peak attempts at maintaining relevance were>
1] There actually were Jewish kids at Hogwarts, you just never saw one, and also they all were proud Zionists
2] Hogwarts is full of Aisan characters, such as this one called something like Ching Chang
3] Wizards openly piss and poo poo in their pants in public all the time because they hate toilets

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
As far as I know all of them are real.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
please call him Sheev, Palpatine is his father

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

luchajones posted:

You never see how this moment ends.

You do if your Patreon tier is high enough.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

yeah they're turning it into a completely generic magic teens story.

For those not in the know, this is the upcoming Netflix original, Fate: The Winx Saga

It's based on this classic Italian Cartoon, Winx Club

Winx purists are upset.

What was the young adult show where the Salem magic teen witches worked as an elite black ops unit of the US military

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

All this retconning and idiocy just to get shanked by dime store Luke knock off couple years down the line, lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Galewolf posted:

*Darth Vader kills Luke in saber fight*

-He chose his destiny, my lord, death.

Sheev looking at the 189 QUADRILLION CREDITS on the business account statement for the order of "Thousand star destroyers with planet destroying cannons, Sith cloning devices and an arena with a massive sinkhole in the middle of it for no apparent reason":

-Well, this is going to be hard to explain to the Space IRS. :sigh:

I've ordered our finest Sith Death Mages to run another space-botox special at the EmPalSuRecon Center, my lord, the extra cash flow will justify our expenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Moola posted:

yeah its really not fair comparing it to the others

now RoS vs the star wars holiday special?

there's a good debate

People still talk about SWHS and remember things from it, so it ranks above the whole new trilogy.