Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I am living for Jay's 2021 Glow-Up

Jay goes for Daryl Hannah and ends up looking like this instead:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope Mando Season 3 is just him falling into an alcoholic depression because his son is off doing Star Wars stuff and now he has to listen to Katee Sackhoff explain lore minutiae from the Clone Wars cartoon so he knows what the gently caress is going on because he accidentally picked up the lightsaber Excalibur.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The whole point of the Bill Burr episode is how morality is relative to everyday people and that large institutions like the Empire and Republic are interchangeable, but even then, the Empire is worse because you have to remind yourself theyre still space nazis. The whole episode was building up this uncomfortable idea that the Republic and Empire are moral equivalents, with scrappy imperials fighting crazy pirate attacks and living an underdog existence in an old base where they celebrate any small win they can get. You've got heroic tie fighter rescues and normal people just happy to see at least one truck survived and a sense of camaraderie rarely shown for the Empire. You start thinking hey, maybe these guys aren't so bad.

Then the show introduces the officer character and you snap out of it very fast because you realize that no, these people are still genocidal warmongers and they aren't a moral equivalent to the New Republic. Being human doesn't automatically absolve you for the horrendous things you do in the name of a cause.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

I don't think that was the intention. I think the point of the episode was to show how Bill Burr could've fought for the Empire and still be a good guy now. The cheering stormtroopers aren't "normal people", the townsfolk are normal people, and you see them look at them Empire with undisguised distaste. None of the Imperial forces even have faces, other than the moustache twirling officer. None of them even have distinct personalities. They're still the same faceless mooks whose lives have no value that they've been the entire series. At no point do the heroes have to shoot the specific stormtrooper who saved them from the "pirates", or anything like that.

You get a bit of Burr's backstory, where it's made clear that he was Imperial because that's the side he was born on. But then he saw that they were bad and left. It's a very simple moral setup. Burr was one of the faceless bad guys, at some point in the past off screen, but then he decided to stop being that and became an individual character.

I know you've watched Gundam, you know what that "there's decent people on both sides" looks like. The Bill Burr episode was no Time, Be Still!.

Burr didn't just see how bad they were he was directly affected by it when is COs burned a city down with his division still in it. It's not Time, Be Still! with the decent zeon troopers, that's not what I was getting at. What I was trying to point out is that the Empire is still made of people but they are awful people. Burr was trying to tell Mando everyone is the same to the little guy, same poo poo different leader, but he was trying to tell himself that more because its clear he had issues with what the Empire made him do and what they did to him. He wanted to tell himself that he wasn't a bad person for being an Imp, but in the end he couldn't keep up the lie.

That's what the episode was going for, building up a lie that the Empire and Republic are the same to the little people. The people at the base are still people but they're working for the Empire long after anyone who might have been "decent" left or died. You dragged Gundam into this, the remnants in Mando are basically the Delaz Fleet fanatics. Theyre certainly capable of being human but they're still loving nazis. The episode is a refutation of moral equivalency with nazis but it does toy with the idea of how someone can see fascists as "normal" by building up this bizarre reverse A New Hope celebration scene before you cut back to reality and realize "oh poo poo we're in a base of Stormtroopers, open fire!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shinjobi posted:

whats the DEAL with maclunkey?>??????

That the extended preview for the Book of Boba Fett could have been better spent wrapping up season 2 instead of Mark Hamill's cgi face taking over the show and then cutting to black before anything that was just being discussed could be resolved.

Fucks sake season 1 even managed to squeeze in a small funeral for Kuill before it ended but nope, Luke takes the baby, nothing else matters anymore so here's five minutes of Boba Fett shooting fat people to get a new swinging pad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

What's the point of sitting on a throne in silence in an empty room

Am I king of my bedroom because I am in the only chair

If you're going to do that you better have Mako hyping you up the whole time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pre Dominion War Starfleet's role as a military apparatus is kind of like Japan's relationship with Article 9 where they have a military in everything but name and it's only kept from being outright called the military because it's easier to live with the false sense of it being a "defense force" than to admit that they're sitting on a shitload of top of the line military hardware and that saying otherwise is hypocritical.

Of course starfleet isn't getting funded and supplied by the largest warmongering military force on earth, and when it does come time for major armed operations starfleet is so strapped for ships that they pull 80 year old vessels out of mothballs to fill out the numbers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mallratcal posted:

I'm really trying to remember this movie.

What I remember is Jake Sullenberger? is in a wheelchair after crashing his plane into the Hudson River. So he gets sent to space to be the guinea pig of the Avatar Program, and be the negotiator/ambassador for Earth, so they can strip-mine the planet of it's unobtanium, that happens to lay under the blue cat peoples home/giant tree. Sigourney Weaver is a scientist? Giovanni Ribisi is the evil exec.

Lol. Tom Hanks would have been an objective improvement if he was the lead in Avatar rather than Sam "how did this guy become a lead in a giant blockbuster" Worthington.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

What do you think?

The deadliest prey (of cats)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how nu Disney canon came up with a convoluted explanation for why Anakin's mom and the rest of the tatooine slaves were never freed. Turns out when they went back to look for her they just couldn't find Shmi, on a planet of maybe 200,000 people tops. Then Anakin hops off in episode 2, talks to Watto and tracks her down instantly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gutcruncher posted:

I really hope you aren’t misremembering because the idea of the Jedi going to a planet to free all the slaves and then just deciding not to because the one specific slave they especially wanna free isn’t there is really funny to me.

Was Disney trying to make the Jedi better, or worse?

It wasn't the Jedi. The book is about Padme and one of the things she tries to do is go back to Tatooine to liberate the slave population there using her connections with the Senate and to also find Shmi, but they can't locate Shmi and Palpatine keeps stonewalling efforts to break up the slave trade in the most transparently "I AM GOING TO TURN EVIL" way possible.

Like, it's dumb on a level of the Black Market episode of BSG dumb.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah that sounds like a Padme level of political effectiveness

Hey, this is Padme we're talking about. There's an episode of the Clone Wars where she manages to block the Republic ordering a new supply of Clone Troopers by arguing that her live-in housemaid doesn't have running water and the Republic should look after domestic policy first.

Which isn't a bad sentiment but it is a pretty cheap way to address a real life social issue by having the entire senate support her and clap rather than laughing in her face and getting back to perpetuating a war against rogue capitalist entities.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 5, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Grey Jedi is bullshit and it sucks that so many people took what Kreia said in Knights of the Old Republic 2 to mean that not picking a side is better because you get to master choking and healing people. Grey Jedi suck, so do Sith and regular Jedi and the whole galaxy would be better off without some all powerful mystical energy field manipulating people into becoming zen monks or genocidal basket cases and getting a lot of normal people killed in the process.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Much as Kreia had a point about the Force being a hosed up entity that caused a lot of harm, her plan to "deafen the galaxy to its voice" by stripping the force from the universe itself in a horrific mass murder isn't exactly a good thing. Her lessons on light and dark were never about how she did good and bad things to balance out (she was lying when she said that because she was asking you what lie you wanted to hear to help you nearly put things into right and wrong categories) but how it's important to think about the choices you make and justify them, rather than blindly following a doctrine or a strategy guide to get max lightside/darkside points for sick bonuses.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Reality Protester posted:

Kreia is the last boss, but he isnt the villain. the Force is the villain.

And the Force isn't the villain so much as it is the author's will made manifest in the story. Kreia is raging against the confines of being a fictional character with a set beginning and end in the only way she can. The writer is god, the Force is their will, and she loving hates that she's bound to it as much as anyone else.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hispanic and Latinx leads in Disney Star Wars are villains. Poe Dameron? Drug runner. Cassian Andor? Murderer and Terrorist. Din "Mando" Djarin? Outlaw who gets hassled by space cops.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do wish that there were some of the theatrical takes put into the extended cuts. Gandalf gets done a bit dirty in the extended editions by removing some of his sweeter lines and using alternate takes where he's much more of a dick

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endless Trash posted:

I didn’t know or notice that they replaced takes in the EE, what the hell?

During Concerning Hobbits, some of Gandalf's lines are given to Bilbo for his overall narration. In the Theatrical Cut when Frodo asks Gandalf to tell him everything about the big world Gandalf indulges him a bit. "Well, what can I tell you? Life in the wide world goes on much as it has this past Age, full of its own comings and goings, scarcely aware of the existence of hobbits, for which I am very thankful." It's a nice little line that emphasizes how Gandalf cares a lot for the privacy the Hobbits enjoy. It's not in the EE.

Gandalf is also much more of a dick to Pippin in the EE, threatening to smash his head against the Doors of Durin to get some peace when his passwords didn't work. In Return of the King when Gandalf is talking to Pippin about being in the service of the steward he's basically shouting at Pippin in the EE, while the take they used in the theatrical cut Gandalf is more amused at Pippin's vow than angry.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Man from UNCLE is fun but the ending is the most forgettable thing ever that I still don't know what happened outside of a Dune buggy chase.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 5, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endless Trash posted:

Shows ending a season with a quasi-finale is a lot older than streaming services but I take your point

How i felt about Mando S2. That ending definitely feels like it was made in case the show didn't get renewed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want Mando to take the throne and wear the jeweled helmet of Mandalore atop a troubled brow.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

colonelwest posted:

It’s seems like they’re going to resolve that dumb contrived conflict with Bo-Katan and the main arc of the show will be about re-taking Mandalore. I’d say that they’re setting up Din as the big leader, but that would piss off the Clone Wars nerds to no end and I don’t think Filoni would torpedo one of his pet characters.

Yeah but have you considered that Bo Katan is a selfish piece of poo poo who throws planet wide rebellions when she doesn't get her way while Mando is a dude who can't go two planets without making BFFs who willingly join him on suicide missions?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

colonelwest posted:

This season was worth it just to have a scene where Amos hits on Avasarala.

But yeah they’re killing it, last season dragged a bit. but the show is firing on all cylinders again.

I’m still amazed that we’re talking about a big high concept science fiction show in its 5th season that hasn’t totally poo poo the bed and become a parody of itself.

The TV show is also ending before the point in the books where it goes weird. Persepolis Rising has a 30 year time skip and you've got a transhuman galactic empire of former belters and colonists with giant alien spaceships running rampant over the Solar System and it feels like almost a different series altogether.
It certainly doesn't poo poo the bed but the later books don't have the same draw as the first ones.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Miami Vice is really loving good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also Michael Mann is depressing because he always makes what he thinks is just the coolest hippest new style of the moment so once you leave the 80s his movies are all dreary and horribly aged unless you're the kind of person who updates the Internet Movie Firearms Database with every time a character violates trigger discipline in a film.

Mohicans, Heat and Public Enemies are all great movies what are you talking about. Did you watch Blackhat and retroactively think all his post 80s movies were that bad?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm Hovering Elderly Batman

Psycho Mantis Batman.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qgPG5hkgUk

Mann, Christopher Nolan wishes he had sound design this good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm something of a scientist myself.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

stephenthinkpad posted:

Starship Trooper is not even in Heinlein's top 10 novels.

Its nowhere near horny enough.

Double Star is a great fun read.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

infernal machines posted:

Oh, you're more of a Farnham's Freehold kinda guy?

More of a Moon is a Harsh Mistress weirdo sex fantasy guy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I decided to read a Gaunts Ghosts novel because people had said Dan Abnett was the only WH40K author worth reading. In one of them they're riding around on a ship for various missions, and apparently their kilometers long starship that can travel the warp and has laser weapons still has stokers in the engine bay shoveling coal into the fusion engines?!?

I mean, this is along with the general concept of Gaunts Ghosts that apparently 40,000 years in the future, they've decided the best way to fight wars is WWI style.

WW2 style. They go to the WW1 planet in one novel and are appalled at how much worse the local armies fight than the Guard does.

The engines that the Imperium uses are very efficient and can use almost any fuel source, but their intimate understanding of the tech is embarrassingly bad. Their main battle tank can put wood into the fuel processor and it will work. So they don't know how advanced tech poo poo works, just that it does, and trying to figure it out is heretical because the imperium is a paranoid police state.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Ghosts novels run on the assumption that most everyday humans in 40k are ignorant, naive but ultimately well meaning individuals and that systemic problems are caused by a failure of top down leadership rather than the footsloggers who get stuck doing the hard work. Not everyone is a frothing fanatic and most people are just trying to get by. It's very much written with the "Lions Led By Donkeys" conceit of a lot of British military fiction over 40Ks usual dance with fascist colonialism. The good officers are the ones leading from the front, not the high commanders in the rear.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 10, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The 80s Blob remake is great. It has some of the creepiest kills ever, like the girl in the car having her face just implode.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Garfield happened.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's as gory as Braindead but way less comedic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zeta Acosta posted:

Needs more movieblob

That was a lovely remake of the Blob.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I watched an episode of Star Trek Disco and lol their ship elevators apparently travel through Willy Wonka's chocolate factory from the Tim Burton movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And now Michael "literally staged a mutiny to launch a preemptive strike on a foreign power" Burnham is promoted to captain to help manifest Destiny the Federation back into power by gunpoint.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gutcruncher posted:

Isn’t “building federation at gunpoint” just the Dominion?

Kurtzman surely has seen DS9 before, right?

Lol if he saw DS9 then the Dominion would have absorbed the remnants of the Federation after the Burn wiped out their FTL TRAVEL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hell, I think LucasArts was a better known bame than Lucasfilm itself, considering people I've talked to who never played a LucasArts game think the brand name applies to anything Star Wars. Also my phone auto filled LucasArts which I think reinforces my point.