Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Shinjobi posted:

whats the DEAL with maclunkey?>??????

A glimpse a the greatness we missed if Lucas had directed the new trilogy instead of Disney :smith:

Bill Burr is also great and a pretty good actor? I mean he's obvious not the creme de la creme but I would be interested in seeing him be the lead in a more serious drama/ comedy, maybe something like Louie (without the creepiness).

Also where's my gif credit in the OP? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

My brother has just started watching HITB

Get a DNA test, stat

edit: unless he appreciates the awfulness in which case no need to cut ties

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

poisonpill posted:

Does America not have enough chubby no-talent guys already? Why do you keep sending us more??

Sorry, it's just ingrained in the Brits to export the worst of us to the colonies

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Zzulu posted:

He's like 1 meter tall

Hotter than you, bitch

Dont you dare attack Jay itt

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

A long time ago I used to like Kevin Smith but lol what a total loser

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Cant believe they brought back Jessi for the special

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

I'll just stick to torrents like its 2010 thank you :colbert:

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Big deal. So do a lot of human women.

How would you know? :v:

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WHAT. THE. gently caress?

Release the Society Cut.

I havent even seen the theatrical Justice League, I think I'm going to have to before I see Synder's just to see how bad both of them are.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

infernal machines posted:

Just put them on side by side

Not the worst idea...

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Has SMG ever admitted he's a troll or broke character? Are we sure he's not just a broken human?

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

So as I've barely seen any of the DC movies except for like Wonder Woman (pretty good), Suicide Squad (bad) and I think bits of BvS but I stopped watching for some reason so I guess also bad? I decided to do a bit of a catch up before I watch the JL cut, just watched Man of Steel, verdict: actually not that bad, so maybe I'll like the Snyder cut? I get the criticism for the whole 9/11 esq destruction and stupid shaky cam etc but eh it was decent, Henry Cavill makes a good Superman at least. I dont really get the hate I heard it get but whatever.

I'll say it does feel like 2 films crammed into one, It should have been the 2nd film in the series like the originals, you could have had Zod turn up and just wreck the Justice League and THATS why Superman has to be reborn. But I've never seen Justice League, I just know that Steppenwolf looks stupid.

edit: BvS is next, yay...

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Slotducks posted:

Whos a bigger hack? Joss Wheedon or Steven Moffat or Aaron Sorkin?

I'm not sure who's the worst but Moffat loving sucks rear end. When you have people pining for Russel T Davies's era of Dr Who after your run you know you suck.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

I mean Bruce Wayne is supposed to be an incredible philanthropist and uses his wealth to develop technology that benefits the world, throwing a few million towards the guy that literally saved the world a couple of times when he really gets nothing in return seems a fair trade. Plus I imagine Batman still feels a bit guilty about the whole trying to kill him thing.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Why is it assumed Superman would destroy the world if he wasn't appeased? He's shown throughout to be an incredibly good person. Isn't the reason he went crazy after they resurrected him because being resurrected is supposed to damage you and drive you a bit crazy? And Cyborg literally shot at him so he thought he was under attack? The whole future where Superman becomes an evil dictator and destroys the world was just Batman having a paranoid dream because he was scared of what Superman COULD become because that is what Batman is: paranoid as hell and someone who sees the potential worst in people, so the polar opposite of Superman.

The whole point of Superman unless you write some edgelord alternate version of him is that he is essentially the best of Humanity despite not being Human, he'd rather sacrifice himself than let any one person come to harm. It's why that comic where The Joker kills Lois and drives Superman so mad he takes over the world, while a cool concept, doesnt make sense as that just isn't his character. If Superman was initially indifferent to humanity before he fell in love or something then sure. Also admittedly that is kind of what makes him fairly boring.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

You guys are talking like it's weird that someone would portray Superman as an unhinged ticking time bomb of psychotic rage.

Didn't you see Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman? It's perfectly normal for them to liquify people and murder everyone as they express their rage like true (tall) heroes.

What kind of weirdo thinks Superman isn't a planetary level school shooter?

It's kind of weird that people want him to be one deep down when he's clearly shown as not anywhere near that. Like there's no sinister darkness deep in Superman that makes him just one break away killing everyone, the whole point of Batman vs Superman is Batman is paranoid of someone with that much power and just wants to believe that he's capable of that sort of fascism and Lex Luthor knows people will have that paranoia and prays on it to achieve his goals. If by "them" you mean Zod and crew then yea sure but they're shown to be the exceptions even on their own planet. The destruction is OTT in those films I'll give you that but also that's Zod and co and Superman doing his utmost to stop them literally levelling the city. It's just Synder has a fetish for 9/11 imagery and wanted to evoke that. But Supes in those movies is just a good dude, again boring like Captain America. If anyone's the psycho it's Batman who's had a break down and has broken his rules about killing people.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

sure okay posted:

Theres also the scene where he thows his weight around and nearly kills Batman over a misunderatanding based on how Cyborgs “KILL ENEMIES?” autopilot works (also, WTF is this?)

Its like if the Kibler elves brought you back to life, but theres one elf who shoots a spitball at you. A strange situation to be sure, but theres no world where the spitball is any real danger, and your first and most natural response is murderous aggression.

Thankfully your girlfriend shows up just in time. Otherwise you mightve come around to thinking that this Steppenwolf guy has some good ideas, actually, vis a vis this whole human exctinction thing.

People really want to insist that he's some absolute monster deep down, I don't get this, because again that isn't Superman, even in the Synder-verse. That scene where he throws his weight around, he's shown to be visibly confused, pissed that someone he doesn't recognize tried to kill him (yes it's Superman but it's still a weapon designed to kill that can do a bunch of damage), and probably has amnesia for those first parts of the fight, Aquaman even says before they bring him back that coming back from something like that will cost someone their soul, it's going to damage them, he's clearly not himself in those moments. I do think he's angry at Batman because he's probably supposed to be regaining his memory during that fight and likely he's remembered that this is the guy that tried to kill me not that long ago (in his sense of time) hence the "Do YOU bleed" line, but let's be honest if he wanted to kill Batman he could have done it in a fraction of a second, I don't think Lois showing up saved the world or anything but it shortened the fight sure, I think we're supposed to gather that his memories were coming back to him and this was a temporary thing from being resurrected.

As someone said he's just a country bumpkin from Kansas, he's a real good guy, it isn't even like Kyptonian's are supposed to be psychotic and amoral and it's only because of Martha and Johnathon he's not murdering the planet (Jor-El is also a good dude), but his upbringing obviously helped him become the paragon he is.

If we're supposed to take from this that he's one break away from destroying the planet I dont think Batman throughout Justice League would be so friendly with him and trusting of him and just completely abandoned the idea that Superman is a danger, which he clearly has, even after the post resurrection fight.

edit: i'll admit I forgot about the eplilogue with Batman's dream but again that just shows he's a paranoid crazy man.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 23, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

"Pish posh, it's fine that Superman killed millions because he couldn't find a solution where millions don't die" is a legendary stupid take and I pity your parents.

Please explain how Superman killed millions of people and how it wasn't Zod, the actual super villain of the film that did that.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

mallratcal posted:

Have you seen ZSJL? This literally happens in the epilogue.

Yea and it's literally a dream by a guy who's always been shown to be mentally not quite with it and paranoid.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Also yes despite my posting I do agree that Superman sucks and is boring.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

mallratcal posted:

Not quite with it enough to put together some kind of suicide squad that saved the world.

Oh Batman is incredibly capable, probably the most capable man on the planet, I mean that is his superpower (not just that he's rich :v:). But he's also supposed to be a damaged man, he's paranoid, he's depressed, he's obsessive etc etc. All things that make him an incredibly interesting hero, more than probably any of the Marvel characters and 100% more interesting than the dull as dirt DC heroes (Superman, Aquaman, Cyborg and Wonder Woman are all boring)

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

It's pretty simple.

Do you think this is a documentary about a real event?

No?

So writers wrote that Superman let millions die when he literally has the power to not do that, and writers have the power to write their way out of this?

Ok. Then the problem here is you're an idiot, Zack Snyder is a hack, or both.

Hope this helps.

Again, where do you get that he LET these people die? Did you watch the film recently? Ugh I hate that I know this, but he surrenders to Zod thinking Zod will leave Earth alone, he's weakened on the ship because it's not Earth's atmosphere and he's tortured etc. Zod in the meantime reveals to Superman he's going to terraform earth and launches the machines that start killing millions, Superman cant do anything because he's captured. As soon as he's free he goes and blows those machines up. So yea he didnt LET anyone die, he didnt literally have the power to not do that because the writers (who yes are bad and suck rear end) took his powers away from him, the plot had him out of commission when the poo poo hit the fan.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

mallratcal posted:

Didn't seem to be paranoid in Justice League. There's no reason to think that dream wasn't another vision.

Also Batman being interesting? lmao he's a sad man who misses mommy and daddy.

Batman's whole thing of witnessing his parents dying breaks him so bad he decides to spend all his life beating people to a pulp and basically having his human Bruce Wayne side be an act while Batman is who he describes as his real self is at least as interesting as like "Man who can swim fast in the ocean" or "Immortal flying man who is the perfect person", I'm not saying he's god's gift to literature, but we're comparing him to every other super hero here.

Also I dont think any of his dreams are supposed to be visions? Are they? Because that isnt a power Batman has, he's just a dude. If they are supposed to be more than dreams that really isnt communicated well but it's Synder so not surprising.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

mallratcal posted:

Pretty sure It's flash communicating with him.

You can have Batman, I don't find his I'm the greatest fighter/strategist/smartest person on earth who always has a great plan and all the money on earth to get out of everything schtick. I'd rather see Spider-man wing it.

Oh god I forgot about that, that scene is so dumb, because Batman has a dream, and then he wakes up, so it's left ambiguous if it's him having a paranoid dream or it's a vision somehow, which is kind of cool because we can wonder if he's actually right to be trying to kill Superman, but THEN Flash pops out of a portal and that implies time travel and confuses the gently caress out of everything.

I mean there are plenty of moments in Batman where he fails and that also makes him interesting (Bane breaking his back, Barbara Gordon being paralyzed etc), but I too like Spiderman, in fact I kind of hate The Flash because it's just DC's attempt to have a quippy Spiderman esq character.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Endless Trash posted:

I didn’t hate Hancock, decent flick

Agreed. But It had a lot of potential that was squandered I think especially in the second half. Will Smith was great in it though its just his performance deserved a better script. His character would fit well in The Boys.

steinrokkan posted:

Batman is a cartoon for children.

So you love Batman?

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 23, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

GigaPeon posted:

Is there any evidence that Martha and Manhunter were EVER different people? Maybe that's why the Kents didn't have their own kids?

Pa Kent found out and threw himself into that tornado

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

Forget the jokes, it LOOKS loving terrible.

There were Newgrounds animations that blew this out of the water

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

I will finally watch Arrested Development in her honor. And yes I know i'm a criminal for not watching it already.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

gently caress she was Malory on Archer? drat she was so good in that role too. Yea RIP Archer though I stopped watching it after like I dont even know, season 4? 5? Whenever they went to Miami I think is when it just started to suck.

Adam Reed needs to move on and make something good again.

fake edit: Holy poo poo Archer is in it's ELEVENTH season?! Christ.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Lmao I was expecting some real yikes take but that Lindsay thing is nothing, typical of twitter of course. Honestly the right thing to do in that situation is just delete your twitter for a couple of weeks until the crazies go away because you literally cannot win. Plus you get a nice break from twitter so it all works out.

edit:

Origami Dali posted:

lol now they're dredging up old takes to say in fact she was always racist, such as the damning evidence that she didn't like the movie soul.

Oh what? Nvm someone check where she was January 6th.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Guaranteed most are people who sent them thirsty DM's, didnt get a reply and still hold a grudge.

Like come on, I'm a nice guy, at least SAY you're not interested...

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Honestly criticizing anything with Kelly Marie Tran in it is career suicide at the moment.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

priznat posted:

If the boys were cancelled would they even notice

I'm not even sure if I'm judging here, I'm very curious though. I've been rewatching a bunch of their videos, and they repeatedly (and I mean VERY repeatedly) go off about, and these aren't my words, "the gays", "midgets", "females", "the mentally challenged" (not sure anymore if "retards" are on the table also, they have an entire "storyline" about forcing characters into a gay wedding, which turned out as funny as you'd expect, and it just doesn't stop. They also don't get tired of implying social justice warriors in production messing with movies and similar types of criticism, be it fair or not, I don't know.

That said, they have some episodes where they sort of make fun of the "stop putting females into my movies"crowd as well, but how honest is it really is you do the same jokes a week later.

So, since there's a sizable movie and freelance movie critic fanbase here, what are the thoughts on this? Am I completely wrong here and it's all just in good fun?

Resetera of course

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

I mean, even without the problematic stuff,i dont understand why some people think they are these cerebral, clever and serious movie critics. All the points that they make in most of the reviews i saw were very,very obvious and surface level. They dont do any interesting out of there analysis of themes and/or metanarrative, its always the bare minimum ponctuaded by centrist-white male sarcasm. Nothing they do is even close to being as well made or interesting as what people like folding ideas or lindsay ellis do, so its always a puzzle to me that they are so respected, relatively speaking.

edit; again resetera

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 28, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Where on the internet have you been that the boys are respected?

Like, this thread would be it, and I doubt anyone is gonna argue with you about the boys not putting in the effort that others do.

It's actually a quote from resetera :v:. I dont think anyone itt would ever sink so low as to post something like that for real.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Though speaking of their lack of effort I dont really care about how deep their reviews get, well specifically on Half in the Bag, but I do miss their more intricate skits like the gay wedding or when they were trapped on a mountain etc.

edit: more of this https://i.imgur.com/hEWzNgE.mp4

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 28, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Pretty hosed up Lindsay said Mickey Rooney "didn't go far enough" in Breakfast at Tiffany's

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

priznat posted:

oh god!

I youtubed it and it's actually not too bad, the spider is so large it's less disturbing for some reason.

But John Goodman and Samuel L Jackson are in it? Man maybe I should watch it.

It's a decently fun movie honestly

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

- I liked the tea scene with Alfred/Diana, I guess some online weirdos complained he was "mainsplaining" to her but surely any normal person can see it was a cute and awkward dynamic with practical strangers getting acquainted with each other

Mansplaining? Ugh the loving internet. He's a butler who's been making the tea for probably like 50+ years and yes it's just a cute scene that shows he's set in his ways, Wonder Woman/ the Justice League has come in and upset the dynamic and he's not happy with that, and making sure something is done right is important to him which is also why he's such an asset to Batman.

Also yea that Bat Crawler scene was kinda poorly done, a slow ambling vehicle is just not really fun to watch in an intense action scene with characters that can move and fight at super speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

She's an awful actress with the whole ex IDF pro Israel thing to boot