Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

hello nerds and welcome to 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

reignofevil posted:

Workshopping this as a thread tag

and thank you as always for being the curator of this fine terrible thread, mr. ofevil!!!!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

gripweed you're a nice guy and good poster, we're all friends here, and yes I know what thread this is, but can we all for the love of god stop fighting about the dumb star wars show.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

RickRogers posted:

If only someone had opinions on or even watched discovery, then they could be shat on

I watched one episode and didn't like it, the end.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

just gonna x-post this from c-spam but here's the world's worst star trek opinion

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1345561216396234754

the same great minds that were aghast to learn that starfleet with their torpedos and laser guns were a military?

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1309274138696130561?lang=en

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

colonelwest posted:

I mean these guys are idiots who don’t really understand the franchise and just want to project their stupid self-righteous Youtuber energy, but Starfleet is the Federation’s military. It has military ranks, a military command structure, a military code of justice, its ships carry weapons that could devastate an entire planet, it’s referred to as “the military” by characters on multiple occasions, and it is the only organization that the Federation can call on for foreign defense.

You also don’t have to read too far into canon to see that it’s actually pretty lovely and anti-democratic, though it’s (mostly) run by well intentioned people. Most of the Federation’s citizens are so disconnected from what Starfleet does out on the frontier that it has almost no oversight. It essentially sets Federation policy out there with only some vague direction from the Council, and there are dozens of evil admirals who have basically gone rogue. By the time of DS9, the threats from the Borg and Dominion have made it so powerful that it can essentially do whatever it wants, including launching a coup against the government.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I guess they know the one thing people want to watch.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

what was with caillou anyway? parents hated it? even when I was a kid I remember I couldn't stand it when it came on.

why was it on for so long if everyone hated it? who was it for?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Columbo's on streaming now. Everybody's watching Columbo. It's like The Office.

https://twitter.com/johnlevenstein/status/1345511657431175168?s=20

columbo was a masterpiece.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

infernal machines posted:

Now that's what I call pacing

related dope old tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aMCzRj3Syg

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

priznat posted:

Holy drat what was the Miami Vice show shot on? Film? It looks amazing!

like everything shot before the 2000s that wasn't a soap opera was on film, and after 2000s they made a slow switch to good digital cameras that could look like film.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

priznat posted:

It's just weird because so many shows from the 80s look goddamn terrible now, perhaps it was the transfer to tv station vhs/beta/whatever tapes?

Also did they shoot it widescreen in 84 or is it just cropped on the youtube?

a lot of shows looked awful on vhs, and you were seeing copies of copies of bad vhs recordings that were uploaded to youtube because blu ray didn't exist yet. now that blu ray exists, everyone is doing dope new transfers of the original film and it all looks beautiful.

I don't personally know about miami vice, but it seemed to be generally shot 4:3. someone might have cropped it to widescreen, you see that for a few shows that were released in HD like seinfeld, where it was shot 4:3 and they just cropped the frame for HD syndication.

tng is a good example because the HD transfer was so loving good (and expensive), even with the high quality DVD version in this (compared to VHS or pirated dvd rips) you can tell that poo poo just looks off, especially colours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVK0Y9XBgmA

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Cacator posted:

I bought a copy of this ages ago, FYI it's only current to Miami Vice for all you diehard Public Enemies or Blackhat fans out there.

The only Mann film I haven't seen is The Keep which is a supernatural Nazi horror movie?? And apparently, not very good.

I watched The Keep a few months ago and it's a mess. It has lots of style, and I can see what they were going for, but the studio cut it down prematurely and it's all over the place. Mann was working on a 3 hour long cut or something like that and wasn't satisfied with how it was going, the studio cut it down and it shows. A lot of character development is just skipped over entirely, including the setup of the hero who instead just kind of wanders in to the movie halfway through and instantly romances the romantic lead out of nowhere.

It's worth a watch, but it's not good.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

very good

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

luchajones posted:

The Good Place sucks rear end. Season 1 was good. Then 2 and 3 happened and ruined everything good about it.

can I get a follow up on this issue from a more reputable source? anyone out there seen this show?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Oh that’s whose alt that is, I’d forgotten

what was it that got his alt banned again? oh right:

Sleeveless posted:

I really wish they just had an entirely separate internet for everyone under 18, it would make life so much better for everyone. This isn't even the first youtube guy to have his life ruined because a girl lied about her age and then later cashed it in for cancel points once she felt guilty.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I watched an episode of Star Trek Disco and lol their ship elevators apparently travel through Willy Wonka's chocolate factory from the Tim Burton movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Pp-Hele7M

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

I still want that phone godfuckingdamnit.

you're a grown-up now, you can just buy one off of ebay to try and recapture the last time you were truly happy: your youth.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

mallratcal posted:

There are a shocking amount of Trump supporters here.

I don't think we're at the "storming political places in freeper LARP" level, but we have some weird right-ish guys and some guys who like Trump. I remember the night of the election seeing a tall skinny white dude wearing a maga hat in the subway, and just the other day I saw a weird lone car driving down the street with two "CANADIANS FOR TRUMP" flags flying from the top.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Hackers film 1995 posted:

my wife wanted to go back and watch the benedict cumberman sherlock show since she hadnt watched it since it aired and man that show is cheesy and bad. i remember people were going crazy for that poo poo

great, now ditch that garbage and watch the one true sherlock holmes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEkGY8Mbgb8

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

I regret to inform you that all American MMA fighters are chuds

and the brazilians

and probably the russians

I'd say the other nationalities too, but there's not enough of them for me to pick up on their terrible political views.

don't take political opinions from mma fighters, folks.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

infernal machines posted:

Jim lives in a city that's been under a stay-at-home order for going on three months. He may be going slightly squirrely

we're going insane he;lp

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Tip posted:

I think it's time we all thank Disney for defeating Trump.

it's times like these I wish the world really did end in world war 3 with some nuclear holocaust, seems like a more hopeful outcome than the post-trump selfjerk.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

lol

Apparently filming of whatever piece of poo poo he's in got delayed by COVID for like 6 months so he had to stay in that shape by keeping up the miserable routine way longer than initially planned.

And he can't even show it off to anyone, the best he can do is post pictures on instagram.

What's the point in bulking up like that if you can't walk around outside and show off your guns? That's the one upside!!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

SMG is a fun read with a good gimmick that he executes pretty well. The issue for me is that every time he posts it derails the thread in to people exclusively arguing with him. He's had his moments, but every time he posts I know the direction of the thread is gone.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

jeeves posted:

I can think of a thousand things better to do than watch a 4 hour Zach Snyder film and suicide is at the end of that list.

Can we at least get a peek at the top 30?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I do have to admit I'd enjoy seeing the "Miracleman humiliates Margaret Thatcher" scene put to film

marvelman/miracleman is so danged good. everyone needs to check it out.