Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, the framing seemed fine. But this hilarious title card before the movie is worth all the black bars in the world...

LMAO

If huffing your own farts was lethal we'd never get precious moments like these, because these loving sentient ego balloons would still do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Help guys I disliked JL so much I got into community service. I spend all my time picking up trash now along the I-5.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Wonder Woman moves lightning fast in order to stop a bullet, but then also waits patiently for the bad guy to reload and change firing rate, giving him a sporting a chance at killing the children. What is life without challenge?

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

What's the point of the Flash if Woman Woman can zip around like that too.

Look man if the superhero cannot beat Gun then they're not really super at all.

I guess she could've lassoed them instead? Does Lasso beat Gun?

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Joking aside I'd love a movie where Superman's powers are used more constructively and the conflict is about exactly which organization he eventually spends his time helping.

Like, SpaceX needs him to fix satellites, but Elon is kind of a dick to him so he puts that off. He flies over North Korea dropping off supplies but Kim denounces him publicly and threatens military action.

His past is RIDDLED with the bodies of dead dictators, but he doesn't do that any more because after just a few years more pop up. He's trying to do long term good but he doesn't know who to listen to.

I'm sure someone has made an indie movie with similar themes but I don't know of it.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah it's called "Watchmen" by visionary director Zack Snyder you should check it out

No see the theme there is power corrupts, which is boring and dumb and done to death.

I want the Futurama episode where Bender becomes the god of little aliens living on his rear end, but made with millions of studio money. It's a very specific fetish.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

I like when they blatantly ripped off this shot from Ultron during the not-Chernobyl scene

FRONTLINE ARCHERY

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

*Superman flies into a burning building to save a bunch of Palestinian children*

"KAL-EL NO!"

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

AHH F/UGH posted:

it literally provokes a thought, and you may reflect on it after you leave the theater

nutty poo poo, right?

we need a luchjones emote don't we

I've been thinking about and reflecting on KAL-EL NO for a bit now.

And Annihilation is not a smart movie.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

In all seriousness, it's wild just how bad the Whedon cut is.

Like the Snyder Cut is very bad and stupid and easy to mock, but it puts the Whedon cut in this whole new light that makes it even loving worse.

And the kicker is the reciprocity, where Whedon's cut shows you just how dumb and up his own rear end Snyder is (see: that horribly paced and edited Wonder Woman bomb scene, or the 35 minute epilogue with Jared Leto and Martian Man, or the painfully long 65 minute final action scene)

I never saw the Whedoncut but what really stuck out to me was just how lovely each hero was to us normies in the world:

- Wonder Woman tells a little girl she can be whatever she wants to be, implying she can be a powerful god, which is a blatant lie even when stretching the definition of what "like you" means.

- Flash ogles and touches a young woman's hair, a total stranger, while moving nearly FTL to save her life. He is moving so fast she probably won't even notice, so she is essentially "asleep" here and he is touching a sleeping stranger.

- They all ditch Commissioner Gordan while he's still talking. A nod to the Batman gag, sure, but even Flash points it out to be rude. It is rude! Nod or not, I thought to myself that they couldn't even deign to say "let's go" around him. It's like, they had no reason to do this other than to make Gordon feel less than.

- The collateral damage from WW flexing her shockwave power on the bank dude. One single 0.25 second scene just showing one of those chunks of rocks hitting a bystander on the head, and all good will goes out the window... forever? Thank god THAT didn't happen!

- This is a lesser one, but Aquaman saving that dude out in the ocean, but in a demeaning and humiliating way. Obviously these people are all poor, and my first thought looking at the guy's rust bucket boat was that he probably didn't want to be out there but HAD to. But hey since he didn't "respect the waves" it's okay to look down on poor people.

- It would suck if I needed power to keep, like, a dialysis machine on in my home, but then because Cyborg's nearby and he doesn't want people to take pictures of him, I have to suffer in the dark until he finishes quipping and leaves again.

- "What's your superpower?" "I'm rich!" Entry to godhood requires only a blank check. A very cool and relatable exchange of dialogue that makes me like this character more.

-"How did you get the farm back from the bank?" "I bought the bank!" This is a stilted exchange, but what rubs me the wrong way is how blasé Bruce is about spending his massive wealth just to make his friends happy. Making Superman happy is, as explicitly stated in the final Darkest Timeline scenes, literally the most important thing in the world. Buying a bank could feed millions, or it could make a single god happy. Money well spent I guess!

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

tbf it is "make this alien dude happy or he kills us all"

Yeah exactly, the implication there is that mankind's well being hinges on the whims of Superman. That he would literally do a 9/11x1000 on us if we DON'T appease him.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Did this bank know they had Superman's parent's house? Did they decide to keep it even after learning he came back from the dead to save our asses again?

Because out of everything in the movie that seems the most true to life.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

"I mean its one house Michael, what could it cost? 10 million dollars?"

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

Why is it assumed Superman would destroy the world if he wasn't appeased? He's shown throughout to be an incredibly good person. Isn't the reason he went crazy after they resurrected him because being resurrected is supposed to damage you and drive you a bit crazy? And Cyborg literally shot at him so he thought he was under attack? The whole future where Superman becomes an evil dictator and destroys the world was just Batman having a paranoid dream because he was scared of what Superman COULD become because that is what Batman is: paranoid as hell and someone who sees the potential worst in people, so the polar opposite of Superman.

The whole point of Superman unless you write some edgelord alternate version of him is that he is essentially the best of Humanity despite not being Human, he'd rather sacrifice himself than let any one person come to harm. It's why that comic where The Joker kills Lois and drives Superman so mad he takes over the world, while a cool concept, doesnt make sense as that just isn't his character. If Superman was initially indifferent to humanity before he fell in love or something then sure. Also admittedly that is kind of what makes him fairly boring.

Theres also the scene where he thows his weight around and nearly kills Batman over a misunderatanding based on how Cyborgs “KILL ENEMIES?” autopilot works (also, WTF is this?)

Its like if the Kibler elves brought you back to life, but theres one elf who shoots a spitball at you. A strange situation to be sure, but theres no world where the spitball is any real danger, and your first and most natural response is murderous aggression.

Thankfully your girlfriend shows up just in time. Otherwise you mightve come around to thinking that this Steppenwolf guy has some good ideas, actually, vis a vis this whole human exctinction thing.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Often Abbreviated posted:

purposefully dies saving a dog from a tornado, to make the point

lmao

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

rydiafan posted:

This is still the best "Superman could improve society at its core" take.

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2011-07-13

Yeah this exactly.

Except we would honor him tremendously and indefinitely for doing it, even while he does it.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I really believe that the rise in popularity of superhero movies is tied to the rising wealth inequality across the world.

People feel more powerless than ever, and watching gods be gods while paying nominal lip service to "the greater good" is primo escapism right now.

It's especially thrilling watching superheroes getting away with being lovely to humans in small ways (as long as they're not being called out on it), as this scratches this FYGM part of the fantasy.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Death, using a switchblade scythe, cuts in half the one and only R. Lee Ermey as he's dual-wielding M-60 machine guns as a satanic nazi Dr. Herbert West murders Marty McFly.

The Frighteners loving owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E81RLAQyhCA&t=171s

I loved how death moved when I first saw this. Unearthly and aggressive, and just cool. It made me want to be an animator growing up.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yes - The Strange Thing about the Johnsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHu6HMcpIeQ

This is a bridge WAY too far, lol

How do you say yes to this script? How do you do some of these scenes and then, just like, saunter on over to the craft table and make small talk?

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I simultaneously enjoyed 3 Kings, and am also glad that David O Russel is no longer getting work.

But then again IMDB has him on some unannounced project? Could've sworn he was mega blackballed, but I guess Hollywood is a big place.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Mike will somehow get Stewart onto the show and threyll have a great time and have more chemistry than people expect

Bill will be jealous and finally agree to be on their show, but on his terms. Hell fly all of RLM out to his ranch and demand the show be done while they ride on horses.

Mike and Rich will be out of their element but will eventually adapt and Rich will laugh so hard itll spook his horse and Bill will feel akward and kind of bad about it.

The episode will largely considered to be bland and stilted and not worth the effort.

Thats my RLM fanfiction thanks for reading

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

These jokes didnt work, objectively, because the variables in their respective joke equations dont balance. Furthermore

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, the best possible way to continue the Ghostbusters franchise would be to return to the original idea Aykroyd and Belushi had: Ghostbusters as entry-level exterminators at a big Ghostbusting corporation. After Ghostbusters 2, the original Ghostbusters end up becoming rich and successful. "Ghostbusters" becomes a massive business with franchises all over the country, and eventually the business becomes another faceless corporation. Ghosts go from being this insane supernatural occurrence into something like having a cockroach infestation. The new cast of characters aren't genius inventors or scientists, they're just folks who would otherwise be delivering pizzas or installing cable. Then they end up encountering some kind of ghost that's a much bigger deal than what they're normally trained for, the mega-business of Ghostbusters, Inc loses all their calls for help in its massive bureaucracy, and so the schlubs end up having to figure out a way to save the day.

This sounds like an interesting if not particularly funny premise

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

reignofevil posted:

If we harness our finest scientific minds we can find the equation to make ghostbusters funny again. It's an equation I'm ready to kill for, ready to die for.

ThEre'S nO RuLe ThaT SaYs a DoG CaNt bE a GhoStBuSteR!

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

A good half of Rifftraxs on Amazon Prime are free. I wonder how much they got for that.

I rent the non-free ones all the time for 5 bucks, and I also wonder what kind of cut they get there.

For brand new riffs they do the thing where you have to buy it for 20 bucks, but then its rentable in 3 months. Never done that, but also that gets me wondering if thats an Amazon thing or a Rifftrax thing.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Are you not in the US? In the US you just get them right from the Rifftrax website. Most of them are around ten bucks to buy but they're DRM free. You just download the MP4 and it's yours forever. Amazon Prime has a good selection of free to watch Rifftrax and you can buy them on there too. I don't think you can rent them Amazon.

???

Im guessing bezos takes 30 percent

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

i swear to god i've seen melissa be funny once but i can't remember where, all my brain spits up is 10 years of dogshit like this

I liked her in The Heat.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Reality Protester posted:

I'm actually mad af melissa mccarthy and Adam sandler and Mike stoklasa make millions shooting a few days out of the year and I'm stuck at the dick sucking factory sweeping floors for peanuts

Do you mean your job is to scan floors hastily for literal peanuts?

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

If we just destroy every copy of every star wars movie ever and then outlaw all discussion of it, how long before we are free of its deathgrip from our collective consciousness? 4 generations? 5?

Worth a shot imo

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Bonaventure posted:

... what the gently caress is a military pog?!

Our deeply human desire for esoteric rituals run amok

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

man I hadnt seen that piece of shits face in like a month

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Back when Pacific Rim came out I think there was a Fast trailer before it and my friend and I joked when there would be a crossover.

"Dom! We need your help taking down these kaiju!"

"One condition: full pardons are all around."

These days its seeming more and more likely

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Everyone: instead of letting 90 year old producers with alzheimer's and complete morons like Gary Busey and Gwyneth Paltrow vote on technical awards they don't understand, why not just let the people in the academy on technical crew memberships vote on those awards?

The Academy: excellent idea, but what if we just eliminated the technical awards and gave out nebulous ones like "best sound" or "most edits"

The point of this show is and has always been an opportunity for already vain people to preen and peck each other into order, under the thin façade of artistic merit. Anything extra to that one goal is just a means to do it more in plain sight, and with more viewers.

Producers do it behind the scenes too, throwing around money and clout on campaigns, or even strategizing whole rear end Oscar bait careers for actors. It's the Olympics for them.

The show has a very important function to industry people and is certainly enlightening in many ways to us, but I don't think objectivity was ever the point.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Helldump was SA at its very worst.

The sentiments that created helldump didnt just magically appear or go away with helldump.

Helldump was SA at its most honest.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

They really shouldn't make another Alien movie until they get fresh alien concepts as unique and terrifying as the work of Giger. I'm tired of seeing the same xenos that tap into the same fears.

Or in other words, they probably shouldn't make another Alien movie.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

How long before we see an MM&O movie?

Edit hot take: Shia LaBeouf as Werewolf Jones

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Cubone posted:

you're a loving idiot

I just wandered in and read both those posts and it is you who is the loving idiot sorry.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

reignofevil posted:

Doing something stupid and impossible in a good movie is good. Movies don't have to be some treatise on the laws of physics and logic they just need to put in the modicum of effort necessary for the audience to relate to the characters and to want to follow them along their emotional journey and if you bend the rules a little bit to get there or to make the people in the theater go yay then that's totally fine.

It's that so many of our big budget films totally neglect to do that first part because they can just fart CGI, reference other popular works or whatever other dumb poo poo occurs to them instead is why scenes like that suck rear end. If you convince me you care about whether I believe what you're selling I'm not gonna let nitpicks stand in the way of a good narrative.

So verisimilitude simultaneously doesn't matter, but also needs to "convince you" of sincerity in order for a piece to absolve itself of nitpicks?

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

That's a fun thought: Harvey the rape demon, now imprisoned and wasting away due to lack of rape. He spends the rest of his wealth on prison commissary in order to trade with other inmates for a coveted "pocket pussy" that essentially amounts to a dishrag soaked in olive oil from the kitchen.

He tries to imagine the dishrag has not given him consent, but it's just not the same. His rape crystals remain uncharged and he continues to waste away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

yeah youre probably right