Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

RealFoxy posted:

For real, and not "My Favorite Wrestler I've Never Seen a Match From"

I've now seen a Maki Itoh match and I can confirm she rules :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Rarity posted:

It was a good quote that reflects on a lot of people from PSP back when her tweets were getting posted more often! Same with Kamiyu's old tweets about Shaving her pubes and " plz don't fuckin speculate. Bitch."

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
More people need to watch TJPW, if only to see Kamiyu's theme, the greatest theme song in Professional Wrestling.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Great job J-Ru, thanks for the big effort.

It’s pretty amazing seeing how some wrestlers dropped SIGNIFICANTLY (Ospreay, Jericho) while others truly rose to the occasion over this very strange past year (OC, Silver, and of course Hangman).

Big Yee Haw

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I did like that I am now able to determine how much better a wrestler is than Ospreay by dividing their score by 2, instead of some more complex algorithm.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BodyMassageMachine posted:

some wrestlers dropped SIGNIFICANTLY (Ospreay, Jericho)

It's almost like they did something to make the fanbase switch on them :thunkher:

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Great job on all the write ups.

Somebody else pointed it out already but I'm so glad the brain worms are gone from this forum. These days there of course will be posts I agree with and some I disagree with. But even most of the ones I disagree with come from someones genuine opinion that is based on reality instead of some insane talking point.

Anyways I did not expect Moxley to lose but Hangman is a great choice as well!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Senerio posted:

More people need to watch TJPW, if only to see Kamiyu's theme, the greatest theme song in Professional Wrestling.
Discovering Kamiyu is a wild ride.

"Who is this girl coming out to Old MacDonald Had a farm?"
"Oh she has a cute dog with her!"
"Okay, she's a foot taller than everyone else in the ring"
"Let me check out her twitter. Oh she just poo poo-posts all day between TikTok memes"

I don't know if there was some kind of marketing edict behind TJPW girls' social media accounts but they'll talk to almost anyone about almost everything, I had a hour conversation with Kamiyu over a BLM tweet (I never tagged her, she just happened to follow me) I made and she explained when she was in high school in America as a Japanese transplant, the nicest people to her were black, they never made fun of her accent and they stood up to her when she would get bullied in school. That kinda stuff is true for most of the roster, they're all trying to engage with their English fans as much as possible in their free time. It might be networking 101 because TJPW wants to expand to the English market but they name-search themselves a lot and in my experience, they'll either reply or drop a like depending on how much English they know.

Social Media has become a great way to discover new wrestlers and a better way of weeding out the bad people in wrestling.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Since we've been posting about it a lot, it's only fair to post Kamiyu's theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqpg9wjPGUQ

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the hard work J-Ru, and to everyone else for providing additional context. There are too many good wrestlers.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I did learn my lesson, next year I will vote 100% Joshi in lockstep with the TJPW contingent.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Penguin Patrol posted:

There are too many good wrestlers.
No, there's just not enough time to watch them all. :smith:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I just want to congratulate the others who voted for Chie Koishikawa on being on the ground floor of a future megastar

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Neodoomium posted:

I just want to congratulate the others who voted for Chie Koishikawa on being on the ground floor of a future megastar

Hello friend :) Well, actually I didn’t but I did put her as rookie of the year in the awards thread

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Rarity posted:

she's okay I guess.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

ItohRespectArmy posted:

she's okay I guess.
Love her or hate her, but you gotta respect her!

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I haven't seen much of Maki Itoh's work but her match with Su Yung is tremendously entertaining. Her schtick seems really versatile and if nothing else, being a pro wrestler is probably healthier on the body and psyche than being an idol.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

If her ringwork isn't something you're a fan of, Maki Itoh's story is really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag7CTgdgy40

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

On one hand; Kingston really sticks out like a sore thumb that high on the list because of his physical ceiling as a performer compared to everybody around him.
On the other; Calling Kingston the Best Promo Machine is underselling it. He feels like an Oscar nominee doing a cameo in their kid's 8th grade musical

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

This was really cool, I learned a lot about wrestlers I don't know much about, and it's perfect that Cody and Naito tied.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
If I got one person to decide to look up more about Hyper Misao I'm happy.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
I’m not even sorry about being the only goon to have Becky Lynch on their list, or the “outlier” (admittedly, rightfully so) who put Bray at #1.

Hell of a job, J-Ru. Though I agree, there’s no need to wear yourself down by doing *too* much.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Senerio posted:

If I got one person to decide to look up more about Hyper Misao I'm happy.

You did! I watched the whole thing then I continued watched the Maki Itoh video to try and figure out TJPW. Still not sure how to get on board (probably not affordable where I'm at) but very much interested in it anyway!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Artelier posted:

You did! I watched the whole thing then I continued watched the Maki Itoh video to try and figure out TJPW. Still not sure how to get on board (probably not affordable where I'm at) but very much interested in it anyway!

Keep an eye on the forum, ItohRespectArmy posts threads whenever a new show is up, and you can get DDT Universe (which has DDT, TJPW, and NOAH) for like $9 a month. On Feb 11th, Maki and Miyu Yamashita (the wrestler who kicked Maki's head off in her first match and also at the Korakuen show on the 4th) will be taking on Sakisama and her latest disciple, Mei Saint-michel.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hyper Misao vs Jun Kasai is probably the best match to introduce TJPW with and I'm surprised they haven't made it free considering it won TJPW MOTY in 2018 and would be potent recruiting tool

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Hyper Misao vs Shoko Nakajima in "the loser has to change their name for a month" is also a two-time great introduction.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
There's a common denominator here... no idea what it is.

Anyway, next weekend we have Hyper Misao vs Mecha Mummy at the Chris Brooks Produce show

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tbf I can't remember what Misao did on the first TJPW show I watched.

It was the 2018.1.4 show with Miyu/Reika, Miraclians/Mizuki & Riho, Dino/Ito, Veda/Kaho.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Hey great news, in honor of them getting 10k subs, tonights TJPW show is gonna be FREE on YouTube!

Here's the GDT:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957456

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hey, what has two thumbs and forgot to follow up on this for 6 months! ....it's.... it's me.... :sweatdrop:

Starting with the easy stuff. 65 Goons posted lists of their Top 10 Favorite Active Pro-Wrestlers over three weeks, down from 114 in 2019. This however resulted in 186 individual wrestlers being selected, only slightly down from the 202 wrestlers selected in 2019. Of those 186 wrestlers, 57 are women (up from 46 in 2019) and 129 men (down from 157 in 2019), with 25 specific promotions listed as well as a number of independent/freelance wrestlers (up from 24 in 2019 + independents).

I was unable to get a complete listing of ages for all of the submitted wrestlers, so the following data is not necessarily accurate:
  • The youngest wrestler submitted was AZM, at 18 years (in 2019 it was Mikoto Shindo, at the same age).
  • The oldest wrestler submitted was Yoshinari Ogawa, at 54 years old (in 2019 it was Jushin Liger, at the same age).
  • The average age was 33.2, roughly six months older than 2019's average of 32.8. The 2020 average age is roughly the age of Angelico, Becky Lynch, Black Taurus, Brandon Cutler, Bray Wyatt, Chris Dickinson, Evil Uno, Jeff Cobb, Josh Alexander, Kazuchika Okada, Saki Akai, Trent?, Willie Mack & Zack Sabre Jr.
  • The youngest male was Jordan Oliver at 21 years old, which was the same age of 2019's youngest: Jimmy Lloyd.
  • The oldest female was Emi Sakura at 44, 4 years the junior of 2019's Aja Kong at 48.

As in 2019, something that really stands out in 2020 is that - as important as a 1st place spot on a Top Ten list is, it is by no means the be-all/end-all of winning. Just like in 2019, it was the number two wrestler who scored the most #1 spots on a list, but that wasn't enough to get him into the top spot.

This is made clearest perhaps with the breakdown of Hangman vs. Moxley. The key to Page's success, on top of a high number of #1 votes, was how consistent he was at being in the Top 5 of so many lists. He actually got no votes for 8th, 9th of 10th but it didn't actually matter because the consistent Top 5 votes kept him at top almost the entire way through the voting period.

For anybody insane enough to be interested in the math, here is a complete ranked listing of every vote made. Thank God for Excel and automated counting:

While the point of the thread was to see who our favorites for 2020 were, it's also useful for showing us who has become MORE popular since 2019, as well as who has lost popularity. Here is a breakdown of the most significant changes between 2019 and 2020 rankings, either due to massive shifts in rankings or significant shifts from high (or low) rankings in 2019:

Notables:
El Hijo del Vikingo +26
The Butcher +28
Mayu Iwatani +29
Matt Jackson +32
Lulu Pencil +33
Hyper Misao +34
Roman Reigns +34
Katsuhiko Nakajima +35
Yuka Sakazaki +36 - from #47 in 2019 to 11th place in 2020!
Nyla Rose +39
Nick Jackson +41 - From 62nd in 2019 to 21st in 2020!
MJF +41 - from 55th in 2019 to 14th place in 2020!
Mei Suruga +44 - from 60th in 2019 to 16th in 2020!

Falls From Grace:
Will Ospreay : A Top 10 ranking in 2019, he fell from 9th to 43rd (the very bottom!) in 2020!
Chris Jericho: In the Top 5 in 2019, he fell from 4th to 39th in 2020!
Daniel Bryan: He "only" fell 20 spots, but he was in the Top 3 in 2019 and ended up down at 23rd in 2020.
Kazuchika Okada: Also a "smaller" drop than many others, what is significant is that Okada went from 1ST PLACE in 2019 to 27th in 2020.

Miraculous Ascensions:
Mr. Brodie Lee: In bottom place in 2019 at 63rd, he rose all the way to a Top Ten finish in 2020 in 6th place.
Eddie Kingston: He had enough cred to keep above the bottom in 2019 but not by much, but then jumped from #56 all the way to a Top 5 finish at #4 in 2020!
Hangman Adam Page: Legitimately at the bottom place in 2019 like Mr. Brodie Lee, Adam Page even managed to outdo Brodie's meteoric rise by jumping all the way to the top spot and WINNING in 2020!

In addition to these, there were a number of wrestlers who featured as Top Ten Favorites in 2019 who disappeared in 2020. Some for understandable reasons, some gigantic surprises. There may also be a few who changed names and I just didn't pick up on it. Whatever the case, here are those wrestlers who were good enough to be listed as some of the absolutely favorite wrestlers for goons in 2019 who didn't even rate a mention in 2020:

AJ Styles, Aja Kong, Aleister Black, Alex "Worldwide" Kellar, Allie Kat, Andrade "Cien" Almas, Awesome Kong, Bandido, Bárbaro Cavernario, BIG E, Big Mami, Brock Lesnar, Brody King, Caristico, Cedric Alexander, Cesaro, Chad Gable, Chase Owens, Christopher Daniels, David Starr, Dragon Lee, Effy, El Phantasmo, Ember Moon, Eric Ryan, Erick Stevens, EVIL, Fallah Bahh, Gentlemen Jervis, G-Raver, Hana Kimura, HARASHIMA, Hazuki, Hirooki Goto, Io Shirai, Isami Kodaka, Jack Gallagher, Jake Lee, Jamie Hayter, Jay Briscoe, Jimmy Havoc, Jimmy Lloyd, Jiro "Ikemen" Kuroshio, Joe Coffey, Joey Janela, Johnny Gargano, Josh Briggs, Juice Robinson, Jun Kasai, Jushin Liger, Kagetsu, Kairi Sane, Kazuki Hashimoto, KENTA, Kikutaro, Kofi Kingston, Kylie Rae, LA Park, Lacey Evans, Luchasaurus, MAO, Mario Bokara, Mark Briscoe, Marq Quen, Marty Scurll, Matt Angel, Matt Riddle, Matt Tremont, Michael Nakazawa, Naoya Nomura, Necro Butcher, Nino Hamburguesa, PCO, Pete Dunne, Rey Mysterio, Ricochet, Robbie Eagles, Roderick Strong, RUSH, Ryusuke Taguchi, Samoa Joe, Scorpio Sky, Session Moth Martina, Seth Rollins, Sha Samuels, Shawn Spears, Shinjiro Ohtani, Shinsuke Nakamura, Shota Umino, Slex, Speedball Mike Bailey, Su Yung, Tam Nakano, Tenille Dashwood, Tessa Blanchard, Thomas Santell, Tony Baroni, Ultimo Guerrero, Velveteen Dream, Xavier Woods, Yujiro Takahashi & Zack Gibson.

And finally finally, I made this for fun though I screwed up and didn't take into account the draws like I should have, so it's an incomplete Top Ten "race":

https://i.imgur.com/A1KxKx1.mp4

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 15, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

But wait... there's more! We all predicted and got a consensus view as a result, but who is the most (and least) in tune with the Punch Suplex (Tokyo Joshi) Pro mindset? I kept track of all of your Top Ten Lists and compared them to our final results. For every wrestler in a goon's top ten who ended up in the overall top ten, I gave that poster 1 point. For every wrestler in a goon's top ten who ended up in the EXACT place as they did on the overall top ten, I gave that poster 2 points (thus a perfect match to the overall top ten would be worth 20 points).

So who knows us better than we know ourselves? Artelier, that's who! With 10 points, Artelier successfully picked 9 of the (13!) wrestlers who made the Top 10, with only Hikaru Shida on their list not making it into the Top 10. Cerebral Bore was close behind on 9 points, despite including 3 non-finalists on their list, thanks to successfully picking the spots of Mr. Brodie Lee and Shingo Takagi, while Artelier only managed to correctly place Hangman Adam Page. The Croc was the most accurate in terms of final spots, picking 3 of the correct positions of finalists Hangman Adam Page, Jon Moxley, and Tomohiro Ishii, getting them up to 8 points despite picking 5 wrestlers on their list who didn't make the Top 10.

Big Dave, Dimebags Brain, Edward Mass, IceAgeComing, karmicknight and Neodoomium all had lists completely at odds with the overall Top 10, while ItohRespectArmy and Ad by Khad had incomplete lists (2 wrestlers and 1 respectively, and guess who ItohRespectArmy's #1 pick was!). But... this was a list of their personal favorites and they can like whoever the hell they want!

code:
Artelier 		10
Cerebral Bore		9
marioinblack		8
Thanlis			8
The Croc 		8
Benne			7
Lethrom			7	
Liquid Communism	7	
Penguin Patrol		7	
Punch McLightning	7	
81sidewinder		6
bartok			6
Crapple!		6
Jerusalem		6
Kvantum			6	
Procrastinator		6	
Redundant		6
Seams			6	
Spuckuk			6	
BodyMassageMachine	5
Cavauro			5	
ChrisBTY		5	
duckdealer		5	
Eat My Fuc		5	
fadmonkey		5	
Lamuella		5	
Lead Pipe Cinch		5
RealFoxy		5	
SamuraiFoochs 		5	
Sandman McMahon		5	
xbilkis			5	
Bard Maddox		4
Davros1			4
forkboy84		4	
graph			4	
I Before E		4	
Lily Catts		4	
Lunatic Sledge		4	
Nostradingus		4
Rarity			4	
spamman			4	
Thauros			4	
Venomous		4	
a cyborg mug		3	
CombineThresher		3
Diplomat		3
JOHN CENA		3
Jordan7hm		3
mooseinfants		3
ShadowedFlames		3
TV Zombie		3	
BTF			2
frankenfreak		2
GEORGE W BUSHI		2	
Senerio 		1
SG Bamboo		1
stab			1	
Big Dave		0	
Dimebags Brain		0	
Edward Mass		0	
IceAgeComing		0
karmicknight		0
Neodoomium		0	
ItohRespectArmy		0	
Ad by Khad		0

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Can't believe my vote for Taichi kept me out of the 0 point club :negative:

Picking a top ten will be even harder for me this year since I started watching twice as many promotions regularly this year (up to 6 now). One thing's for sure, it'll have Miyu on it because she's the coolest and best.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

This is great. That race for 4th to 6th positions is insane

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

... karmicknight ... all had lists completely at odds with the overall Top 10

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SG Bamboo posted:

Picking a top ten will be even harder for me this year since I started watching twice as many promotions regularly this year (up to 6 now). One thing's for sure, it'll have Miyu on it because she's the coolest and best.

I already know my top three: Mei Suruga, Miyu Yamashita, Chuck Taylor.

I guess I'm just going to be dropping in TJPW names after that.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

karmicknight posted:

I already know my top three: Mei Suruga, Miyu Yamashita, Chuck Taylor.

I guess I'm just going to be dropping in TJPW names after that.

Haven't seen a ton of Suruga's work, but i'll most likely throw some votes towards that French wrestler who looks a bit like her

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wish I'd been more up to speed with TJPW before January, Miyu would have definitely ended up in my Top 10 she's loving great.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Just thinking about it is giving me dread and we're only halfway through the year, 10 places isn't nearly enough. I'm locked in with Miyu Yamashita, Yoshi-Hashi and Mei Saint-Michel. That plus one member from Eruption, 37KAMIINA, Kongoh and Suzuki-gun only leaves me three open slots, and that's if I limit myself to just one member of each group which I don't want to do because all 19 of those guys rule (except Nioh who's just fine)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

If we did it now most of my top 10 would stay the same, but Bryan would be out and Yoshiko too probably because she's been out hurt most of the year. Suzu Suzuki would definitely be up there, and the last place would be a battle between Fuminori Abe, Kenoh, Kaito Ishida, Shun Skywalker, Rina Yamashita, Takanori Ito, Arisa Nakajima & I dunno who else. Oh yeah, Takayuki Ueki.

10 isn't enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'd probably end up throwing Onita on