Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
1. Chuck Taylor (AEW, 34) - Like Chuck Taylor is going to have to have done so serious poo poo to get around being the entire point I am wrestling fan to begin with. Chuck Taylor rules.
2. Mei Suruga (Gatoh Move/ChocoPro/TJPW, 21) - Mei Suruga has managed to basically become the person I want to be Hikaru Shida for the AEW belt without have ever made a single appearance in that company. Mei Suruga rules.
3. Yuka Sakazaki (TJPW/AEW, Eternal) - Probably the actual best wrestler on this list Yuka Sakazaki loving rules so hard. As the Ace of TJPW during the period I have become a fan of the promotion, it's super clear how she is the best wrestler on the planet and her time in AEW has proven that she doesn't need the English language to become a crossover hit and draw in the US. The duo of greatest shames this year was that Yuka was announced as returning to AEW at the show I was at rather than returned herself, as well as the pandemic prevented her from being a central figure in AEW's women's division. Yuka Sakazaki Rules.
4. Miyu Yamashita (TJPW, 25) - Miyu Yamashita is the coolest wrestler ever. That is the end of the story. Miyu Yamashita rules.
5. Maki Itoh (TJPW, 25) - Maki Itoh is super interesting because she really has a lot of texture to her performance where she splits being petulant and needy with also being a super great underdog. A great comedy performer who became a very good wrestler by the time I was watching her. Maki Itoh rules.
6. Hyper Misao (TJPW, 30) - Hyper Misao is a loving artist and I cannot stress how important that is during the year where the sport of professional wrestling reached its ultimate form as an art piece as it lost the crowd. Hyper Misao rules.
7. Chris Brookes (DDT/ChocoPro, 29) - Chris Brookes rules.
8. Yuki Kamifuku (TJPW, 27) - :toot: E I E I O. Kamiyu rules.
9. Saki Akai (DDT/TJPW, 33) - The Fans Bring the Rules Match made me an instant fan of Saki Akai's work as someone who never really managed to get into DDT in any real sense. That's probably going to change going into 2021 but as it stands Saki Akai has in one showcase won me over as being cool as hell. Saki Akai rules.
10. Emi Sakura (Gatoh Move/AEW/ChocoPro, 44) - You know how I described Hyper Misao as an artist and how important that was, Emi Sakura's response as a wrestling promoter to the pandemic has driven wrestling as a medium forward in a way that should be seeing more imitators. The entire ChocoPro Wrestling paradigm is such a wild concept and the fact that the move to no crowds resulted in a specific anti-paywall stance and the addition of more random content from the wrestlers of the Emi Sakura-verse all centers to on conclusion, and that is that Emi Sakura rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Mid-Life Crisis Okada seems like entirely my poo poo, but I just sort of fell off New Japan super hard.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

Yuka Sakazaki's age is just a rumor, it's not public info anywhere iirc and she's probably a lot older than 24 :v:

Yeah, Yuka needs to be in the formula as an ∞, as a djinn she's eternal.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Grumble grumble, the innovator of the Whirling Candy was robbed of a higher position.

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1325166802658238467

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Wait, does this mean Mei Suruga has broken the top twenty?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

... karmicknight ... all had lists completely at odds with the overall Top 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SG Bamboo posted:

Picking a top ten will be even harder for me this year since I started watching twice as many promotions regularly this year (up to 6 now). One thing's for sure, it'll have Miyu on it because she's the coolest and best.

I already know my top three: Mei Suruga, Miyu Yamashita, Chuck Taylor.

I guess I'm just going to be dropping in TJPW names after that.