Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

1. El Desperado (37, New Japan Pro Wrestling)

Despy is the coolest fucker around, hard to believe his NJC match with Ishii was all the way back in June. Great theme, great matches, great friend, he's the perfect 10.

2. Yoshi-Hashi (38, New Japan Pro Wrestling)

Yoshi-Hashi continues to make me believe in him, and his output has improved from occasional good matches to consistently good.

3. Douki (29, New Japan Pro Wrestling)

Now that YH is actually winning matches, Douki is my absolute boy. I will cheer him 100% against any foe and will cry bitter tears when he inevitably loses

4. Katsuhiko Nakajima (32, Pro Wrestling NOAH)

Nakajima (far right) is too cool for school, he won't even pose with his buddies. I just love what a dickbag he's been since turning on Go, and is easily my favourite part of getting back into NOAH this year. It helps that he's such a phenominal wrestler to go along with it.

5. Taichi (40, New Japan Pro Wrestling)

I still love Taichi and his perfect friendship with Zack, but he's slipped down several places this year. He's still great in the ring, but such a large part of his act has been missing for so long and has allowed others to overtake him in my heart. I miss you Miho :(

6. Daisuke Sekimoto (39, Big Japan Pro Wrestling)

Whenever I'm in the mood for a big man throwing people about, my first choice is Daisuke Sekimoto. If you're familiar with Jeff Cobb, it's that but (in my opinion) better. Though not as meaty as his Strong BJ partner Okabayashi, Daisuke is agile and powerful and entertaining as all hell.

7. Asuka (22, Freelancer, most matches this year was for SEAdLINNNG)

Asuka had my MOTY last year (vs Akito) and her match against Arisa Nakajima in June was my favourite of the covid era until Go/Kenoh came along. That she's so good so young, hopefully theres a long career still to come

8. Yukio Sakaguchi (47, Dramatic Dream Team)

God, it was so hard to pick just one member of Eruption. I went with Yukio (right) over Higuchi and Saki because I like his style the best, but every member comes together to make Eruption one of the best groups in the world.

9. Tadasuke (34, Pro Wrestling NOAH)

Tadasuke is such a sleazy fucker, another dude who found his family in Kongoh and is having the time of his life being a prick to his former friends. Although with Noah's Junior division being as tumultuous as it is, Tadasuke might once again find himself teaming with long time frenemy Daisuke Harada before 2022 rolls around

10. Yuki Ueno (25, Dramatic Dream Team)

Yuki Ueno is this generation's Kota Ibushi. Good looking, great wrestler, hates necks. He's only been in the business 4 years, I can't imagine where he'll be able to go in another decade.

Well that took a while. Mostly for my own interest, here's last year's to see the change.

SG Bamboo posted:

1) Taichi
2) Jay White
3) Minoru Suzuki
4) PAC
5) Hiroshi Tanahashi
6) Daniel Bryan
7) Tomohiro Ishii
8) Chase Owens
9) Yujiro Takahashi
10) YOSHI-HASHI.

So many people fell off the list. Switchblade was off my screen for so long, and MiSu fell victim to being in the bottom half of my Suzuki-gun rankings nowadays. At least Yoshi-Hashi managed to turn it all around and claw his way up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Just a note for future lists, two different wrestlers go by Asuka so make sure you denote which one you're selecting. On the first page, 3 of us chose Veny, 2 chose Kana, and EMF didn't specify but assuming they meant the WWE wrestler

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Thanlis posted:

I’m glad it’s favorites so that I don’t have to agonize about who’s best.

This was me too, outside of Nakajima i'm not sure who on my list would be a lock for a top 10 best wrestlers this year

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Rarity posted:

SUZUKI-GUN

IS

ICHIBAN

:hai::hai::hai:

I reckon this is the one thing the entire forum can get behind. Best stable in the world, just a bunch of dickheads that love and support each other.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Senerio posted:

Imagine seeing a list with Kamiyu and calling Sammy Guevara the standout. :colbert:

More of you cowards should have voted DOUKI. Our favourite lovely gremlin deserves all the love

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Now that Katsu's on the list, i've only got Despy and Taichi left to cheer for. My favourite wrestlers should be more popular, dammit

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Senerio posted:

IS a Big Boot a kick?

A Big Boot is not, a Yakuza Kick totally is

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Wish I'd thrown a vote to Uncle Nobu, sucks he's the only member of Suzuki-gun that didn't make the list

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Rarity posted:

Also, schedule the countdown in advance and do it at a time that suits US and EU timezones so that people are around and amped up for each reveal

Hard disagree, keep catering to the 5 Australians in the audience

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Five of my top ten received no other votes and the whole top ten had an average placement of 32.1 :negative:

SG Bamboo posted:

My favourite wrestlers should be more popular, dammit

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Can't believe my vote for Taichi kept me out of the 0 point club :negative:

Picking a top ten will be even harder for me this year since I started watching twice as many promotions regularly this year (up to 6 now). One thing's for sure, it'll have Miyu on it because she's the coolest and best.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

karmicknight posted:

I already know my top three: Mei Suruga, Miyu Yamashita, Chuck Taylor.

I guess I'm just going to be dropping in TJPW names after that.

Haven't seen a ton of Suruga's work, but i'll most likely throw some votes towards that French wrestler who looks a bit like her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Just thinking about it is giving me dread and we're only halfway through the year, 10 places isn't nearly enough. I'm locked in with Miyu Yamashita, Yoshi-Hashi and Mei Saint-Michel. That plus one member from Eruption, 37KAMIINA, Kongoh and Suzuki-gun only leaves me three open slots, and that's if I limit myself to just one member of each group which I don't want to do because all 19 of those guys rule (except Nioh who's just fine)