Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Ragaman posted:

Congrats to everyone who made it out/is about to punch out. The last year flies by so quickly, you will blink and it’s over. Being a civilian is really nice, especially being able to leave as soon as my 8 hours is over and not give any fucks.

I've got 19 months more to hit 20 years and it seems like forever and way too soon at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Hey Navy here but is it possible to land those Amazon apprenticeships without still being active duty? There a zero percent change my command will allow that so I’ll have to be out first. I can’t find any reference to any clear eligibility requirements.

Getting denied for DoD SkillBridge is gonna be a big thing that you should have a lot of leverage against your command for...

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

They’re also denying everyone’s terminal leave who isn’t retiring now at my command. Just the navy I guess.

My advice would be still go for it. They can only say no.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

whatever man posted:

I recently retired, effective 1 March. My last PT test was Nov 2019. I was due to test in May 2020, but then COVID happened and I never tested again. Situation is different because there were no tests for my last year in, but I definitely went over 365 days.

Just walk off the pad and ask to see a medic for shortness of breath.

This is not official advice.

gently caress, page 2 snipe with this bullshit. everyone should go pet their animals or find one to spoil or search for an image of a puppy / kitty / birb and tell yourself how cute it is.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

CommieGIR posted:

A lot of GiP USAF members left service this year and last, IIRC we have like two active duty members left.

One of them is me. I have one more year left.

Adjustment disorder is... a thing.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah A-10 now has wing upgrades and enough retired spares to last well past 2045. Fucker will never die.

They found a supply of new gun barrels?

(edit) Also holy gently caress is figuring out a retirement date complex if your calendar doesn't line up like a cheap horoscope. Quick answer is first day of the month after your 20 year point or ADSC, and apparently they're more than happy to extend you to meet that date.

antimatt fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 14, 2021

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

CommieGIR posted:

I suspect replacement gunbarrels is why they retired a bunch of them to keep at the boneyard. But I have no doubt if the USAF put in a requirement to replace the barrels they'd find someone in no time.

You'd think that but it was a problem in 2013 and apparently was being used as leverage to retire them. Or at least a reason beyond wing spars and whatever else the mafia could drum up.

Who knows. One might imagine barrels are cheap and the short tail...

All I know is warthog go brrrrrrrrrrrrrr. (it's super loud in person, nothing else like it)

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Godholio posted:

You don't fix lovely culture by replacing one mid-level leadership cog.

Yeah but... What if you did?!?

edit: like over and over, forever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Godholio posted:

Madness. Can't admit there's a systemic problem underlying the system that elevated you.

Wise. Almost prescient.

Bummer.