Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Slumpy posted:

sounds like you're envious op

I own guns.

Shadow0 posted:

Hold on, do people actually shoot guns into the air on New Year's Eve or is this a joke that fireworks sound like gunfire?

Fireworks don't sound like *POPPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOP* three seconds of silence to swap mags *POPPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOP*

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I feel like the Venn diagram of pet owners that never clean up after their poorly trained animals is a 100% overlap with the ones that get upset about fireworks on nye and the 4th.

They’re the kind of person that adopts an animal and brings it home to the shared living situation without running it by anyone else because they think their pet is inherently a we problem and not a me problem.

If your dog freaks out at fireworks in a manner beyond their normal freaking out at people walking in front of a window because they’re poorly trained and largely don’t have their needs met, you can fairly readily get meds from your vet that are safe to use the two times a year this would be an issue, the vet you probably don’t go to because putting effort into your animal outside of getting mad at everyone else is too much to ask of you.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like the Venn diagram of pet owners that never clean up after their poorly trained animals is a 100% overlap with the ones that get upset about fireworks on nye and the 4th.

They’re the kind of person that adopts an animal and brings it home to the shared living situation without running it by anyone else because they think their pet is inherently a we problem and not a me problem.

If your dog freaks out at fireworks in a manner beyond their normal freaking out at people walking in front of a window because they’re poorly trained and largely don’t have their needs met, you can fairly readily get meds from your vet that are safe to use the two times a year this would be an issue, the vet you probably don’t go to because putting effort into your animal outside of getting mad at everyone else is too much to ask of you.

... No.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

If you're seething screaming about it, maybe? I just sigh after 9 hours of explosions terrifying my incredibly geriatric great dane, who sits trembling beside me and is absolutely not vet okayed to get the medication you talk about down here vvv

quote:

this sounds really specific. who hurt you

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

this sounds really specific. who hurt you

Pet owners everywhere. Spent too many years working in a vet hospital and volunteering in shelters, most people shouldn’t have animals they suck at taking care of them.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Sunswipe posted:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to use blanks if you're literally just firing wildly into the air to make noise?

With massive ammo shortages right now, the manufacturing capacity for blanks has probably been moved over to real ammo. And you have to also buy a blank-firing adapter and install it to actually use them.

Although that said, it boggles the mind how anyone would be magdumping with ammo being so astoundingly expensive right now.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

With massive ammo shortages right now, the manufacturing capacity for blanks has probably been moved over to real ammo. And you have to also buy a blank-firing adapter and install it to actually use them.

Although that said, it boggles the mind how anyone would be magdumping with ammo being so astoundingly expensive right now.

i don't think you understand what Freedom means

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I’m sure this has been answered on a YouTube channel before but are falling bullets really that dangerous? People with a very rudimentary physics analysis might come to the conclusion of parabolic arcs, which is to say an object will have roughly the same speed when it hits the ground as when it left it, but that ignores cases when what was launched is going faster than it’s terminal velocity. Because the bullet has to come to a brief but complete stop if it’s fired vertically before heading back down, the fastest it should be going when it lands is whatever speed balances the force of gravity vs wind residence.

Considering individual bullets are fairy light, I wonder how much damage it’d really cause. Iirc myth busters did an episode of flinging coins off tall buildings and the verdict was it’d hurt obviously but not really wound you outside of incredibly fluke scenarios.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

ArbitraryC posted:

:goonsay:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ArbitraryC posted:

I’m sure this has been answered on a YouTube channel before but are falling bullets really that dangerous? People with a very rudimentary physics analysis might come to the conclusion of parabolic arcs, which is to say an object will have roughly the same speed when it hits the ground as when it left it, but that ignores cases when what was launched is going faster than it’s terminal velocity. Because the bullet has to come to a brief but complete stop if it’s fired vertically before heading back down, the fastest it should be going when it lands is whatever speed balances the force of gravity vs wind residence.

Considering individual bullets are fairy light, I wonder how much damage it’d really cause. Iirc myth busters did an episode of flinging coins off tall buildings and the verdict was it’d hurt obviously but not really wound you outside of incredibly fluke scenarios.

that was a lot of words to ask a 15 second google search that would immediately tell you that yes people are not infrequently killed by falling bullets

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Klyith posted:

that was a lot of words to ask a 15 second google search that would immediately tell you that yes people are not infrequently killed by falling bullets

Hey the whole fun of it is thinking it through before you consult google but I did google after posting and found that yeah it p much doesn't happen when people shoot mostly up. If they shoot too far sideways though it does happen, which is fair, because at that point you're just shooting at people and correcting for distance.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
We're talking high school dance rules here, keep it above 45 degrees.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Well actually... once the bullet achieves its apex and begins its downward trajectory, you’re no longer legally responsible for what it hits. It’s in the constitution.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

ArbitraryC posted:

We're talking high school dance rules here, keep it above 45 degrees.

Fahrenheit or Celsius?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Is this some southern poo poo because I've never heard of people firing guns into the air to celebrate NYE. I'm not at all shocked I just didn't know it was a common thing.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You're much better than them so it's whomever you'd like to feel are your lessers doing it

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mozi posted:

i like to cut out the middleman and just toss a bunch of lead and other heavy metals around outside

Specifically, car batteries.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I've never even seen a gun

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Buttchocks posted:

Fahrenheit or Celsius?

first one, then the other

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48zMT5fQU74

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Specifically, car batteries.

Lucky! Not all of us get to live by the ocean.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What's a few fluke deaths if you get to celebrate are freedumbs by firing wildly into the heavens amirite

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Ultra Carp
I'm 3d printing a Tec-9 and then Im about to Jack Burton the skies so getcher kevlar umbrellas, kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/SwEyBItsXkw