Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Adam Cole corpsing? Send for the man.

https://twitter.com/slate_s42/status/1379457570520367107

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lmao

Io is so hosed once she gets called up :(

I would argue the entire NXT Women's Division is hosed if Raquel wins. She's okay in the ring, but that title is gonna slide right back into the cooldown portion of future Takeover cards with her as champion. Nevermind that I don't ever see Raquel main eventing a Takeover again after this one. Raquel is basically lady Braun Strowman except slightly less limited in the ring.

Astro7x posted:

It's kind of insulting that on the go home show to Wrestlemania the main event is a match where I am supposed to believe that Drew could lose and the main event at Wrestlemania will be Lashley vs. Corbin.

Pretty much. And the fact that the match went almost 30 minutes despite some people saying "oh well its not the true main event, Orton/Fiend will do something to close the show" just for it to not happen was...yeah.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Destroy My Sweater posted:

which poor souls do you reckon are getting called up from NXT?

lol remember retribution

Depends on what happens tomorrow and Thursday.

So basically I expect Io Shirai to come up at least, since people really want to see Raquel as champion even if the same people are gonna end up turning on her within a couple of months because all of her matches have been heavily protected and booked so she gets the lions share of the offense. People are comparing her to the second coming of Diesel, except at least he doesn't have incredibly lovely political views.

Karrion Kross might get called up as well if he loses to Balor, but I doubt he will. Triple H seems high on him, but I cannot think of a worse way to cap off the move to Tuesdays by putting the titles on Raquel (who is massively overrated, as she pretty much sounded incredibly awkward during the press conference today, compared to everyone else in the room), and Karrion Kross, who NXT fans absolutely hate because he has zero redeeming qualities.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Spiderdrake posted:

Karrion Kross I'm wagering wins the title and then gets called up for the "Season opener" in the fall after losing it to, I don't know, Cameron Grimes at Summerslam's NXT adjacent event.

I could see Io being called up, since wasting amazing Japanese talent is a running theme of the main roster.

Don't worry. Vince will learn that a lot of wrestlers see Io as the best women's wrestler in the world, and he won't stand for that, so he'll feed her to Charlotte so WWE can claim she's superior. After that she'll be banished to either WWE Main Event or being part of a tag team with Asuka.

Or the other (just as likely) option is that she gets banished to catering until her contract is almost up, and Vince makes a panic play to get her to sign a new deal.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Dango Bango posted:

It would be very WWE to start NXT Mexico by pushing two Puerto Ricans.

I think they are more interested in getting into the latin market in general. Which is why we'll see Bad Bunny and Damien Priest win at Wrestlemania, Raquel winning tonight (even if she is one of the worst possible choices to feature as someone you want as a face of a marketing push considering her comments on Mexico), and likely Santos winning tomorrow night.

Please ignore Angel Garza sitting in catering or the fact that they just released Andrade a little while ago.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
WWE announced Raquel vs Io will be commercial free tonight on USA.

https://twitter.com/WWENXT/status/1379864048087482370

Also not really shocking but Io mentioned how she wants to hold the title for at least 365 days. Shame that's not going to happen.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

DLC Inc posted:

I'm gonna be real: I have no idea who the gently caress Raquel Gonzalez is

A fairly large woman (she's pretty shredded), and she's a second generation wrestler, following in the footsteps of Ricky Gonzalez. She's okay in the ring (compared to other PC talents, but she's no Rhea or Bianca either), but a lot of her matches end up with her tossing other women around. She's a pretty below average seller, and as such most of her matches are structured to where she gets the lions share of the offense. Basically while people are hyped up for her, I would not be shocked if she ends up lining up closer to Shayna in terms of match and feud quality than a lot of the previous NXT Women's Champions.

Which is a bad thing, since a lot of Shayna's matches were positioned as cooldown matches and almost never main evented shows or brought eyes to the product. People tried to claim the same thing about Io, but she was one of the few NXT stars who actually brought in viewers, according to Wrestlenomics. Plus anyone who worked with Io ended up coming out of it better for the most part (the only person I wouldn't say was helped by it was Toni). I struggle to believe that anyone will benefit from the style of matches Raquel currently works.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 7, 2021

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

SonicRulez posted:

For what it's worth, I liked Shayna as champion, I just didn't think she needed a second reign and the second one went on for too long. But that's not her fault as a talent. That's NXT's phobia of top babyfaces.

The problem with Shayna's reigns is that the matches were all structured in a similar format on top of her second reign being a complete disaster and going on for way too long. It's not hard to imagine Raquel will be going the same route. Her matches are already way too generic (even by WWE standards), and her reign will probably last awhile, despite it being an incredibly bad idea due to how inflexible Raquel is from a match layout perspective.

Don't get me wrong, I fully expect Raquel to win tonight and will be (pleasantly) surprised if Io retains. I just know that the NXT women's division's quality is gonna drop fairly significantly once Io moves up. That's glossing over the fact that Io's ceiling on the main roster will very likely just be Asuka's tag partner, so its an entirely unnecessary callup. And if Kross wins the title tomorrow night, NXT moving to Tuesdays is going to start off on the wrong foot, because WWE will have to do a LOT in order to get people to actually bother tuning in during the Kross/Raquel era of the show, since both have the same problem of being generic big wrestlers, and they'll have no real marketing technique to fall back on either. Because as it stands, NXT is the one show where "workrate" is prioritized over size (and while the stories told are still stupid for the most part, they also aren't actively insulting your intelligence unlike RAW and SD), and the one unique aspect of WWE TV as a whole right now.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 7, 2021

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

ICR posted:

Kross/Raquel as champions would be the funniest corporate culture poo poo ever.

Drake Wuertz would be thrilled.

Kross can signal boost his COVID and QAnon conspiracy theories, while Raquel screams at immigrants to take their taco trucks and go back to Mexico (while continuing to flaunt covid restrictions). And both can talk about how we need a wall on the southern border to keep those dang (imaginary) busses full of immigrants out of the country.

WWE also released the video package for the match tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pprBOvLYjMg

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 7, 2021

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

ICR posted:

Hell yeah!!!

Raquel has some great presence that’s for sure. She isn’t championship ready yet to lead the brand for the women’s division in my opinion. But she does have strong presence and a powerful look. Honestly, her presence itself is past NXT and main roster ready. It’s just the rest of her that still needs some time in the oven.

Kross is an absolutely horrible, horrible, horrible human being along with Scarlett who is literally batshit crazy and I would rather see Finn retain based on talent and kindness alone.

Kross winning would be the worst decision to empower the toxicity, and to reward somebody who is bottom 15% in actual wrestling talent on the NXT roster. Like, there’s that many wrestlers there who are more competent in the ring than him.

Used to love the guy for potential but well, he got exposed and other lovely things came to light.

I don't even think Raquel has much presence in the division outside of being stronger than most women. That's it. It doesn't offset her horrendous political (and religious) views, which as far as I know are still a bit tamer than Kross but that's an incredibly low bar to clear. She's more of a main roster talent than NXT talent when it comes to booking.

As for Kross, yeah he's an absolutely lovely human being and shouldn't even be employed but at this point, it's pretty clear NXT doesn't care about a performers background unless its incredibly bad or it causes them SIGNIFICANT problems.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Blaise330 posted:

I hope Raquel is good cause I want a monster heel hoss that isn't Nia Jax or Tamina.

She's a fine hoss, but not someone you want leading your division either. It's the Shayna problem all over again. In that she looks threatening, but won't be bringing any new viewers to the product.

Spiderdrake posted:

They put the belt on him when his loving arm was falling off.

I will be so shocked if he doesn't win here. Io I think only loses if she's getting called up.

Man, don't even put the thought of Io getting called up into my head. I have zero confidence she gets used properly. But I agree in that if she loses, she is getting called up (which is unfortunate because I don't see her being utilized properly at all, especially if she gets sent to RAW). Because otherwise NXT runs the risk of Io overshadowing Raquel still.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 7, 2021

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

karmicknight posted:

Cargill doesn't seem to be anywhere close to the title in AEW, so I don't know why WWF would be rushing for a title from whoever it is being discussed. Lady Diesel.

She is a big tall woman. That's enough for WWE.

Cargill would have the title by now if she was in WWE.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
For those who didn't watch NXT, they put the women's title on a massive loving racist in Raquel.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I should mention the finish was insanely stupid as well.

- Moonsault to the Outside

- Long running knees onto the ramp

- Io dove off the top of the skull onto Raquel

- Io dragged her into the ring, hit the moonsault

- Raquel kicked out

- Raquel hit a single lariat, and then her one armed powerbomb for the win.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Seams posted:

what'd she do? google isnt much help

In 2018 she made a remark about how Mexicans need to get back on their taco trucks and leave the country. She also supports a border wall and separation of family at the border. Of course, it didn't stop there. All through 2020 she supported various right wing movements and especially Donald Trump, regularly liking and commenting on his Instagram posts. But, to add more fuel onto the fire, she didn't take COVID guidelines seriously as she was spotted at several biker rallies with Braun Strowman, with none of them wearing masks, of course.

It didn't gain much traction because before this point she was pretty much flying under the radar, as no one really cared about what she did. But now that she's the champion, it'll be interesting to see if some of this stuff actually gains traction. Because if so, it will get awfully ugly for WWE. Especially since they are trying to break into the latin market.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 8, 2021

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Twitter having a field day with Raquel.

Also lol:

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1379989744235450369

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Hoss Corncave posted:

Yeah, considering that Velveteen Dream is still employed, Jordan Devlin is not only still employed but a champion in a fairly major storyline right now, and Matt Riddle is not only still employed but also a champion on the main roster and had his name changed to prevent search engines bringing back stories about him being a piece of poo poo, a woman having terrible opinions on immigrants (and opinions in general) isn't going to really matter to the higher ups.

That said, I do have to ask you this Darkstar - considering your rather strong love of the Joshis that would you be as outraged as you seem to be if it was Raquel taking the title off of Ember or Storm or Dakota or Shotzi or any non-Japanese woman?

I would argue yes, it would irritate me just as much. At the end of the day, Raquel is still a huge piece of poo poo, regardless of who she beat for the title. And it's an ugly look to have someone...opinionated as her beating up a minority or non-US citizen for a title, considering her views on immigration and race.

Racism shouldn't be rewarded. But the damage has been done. And Triple H doesn't care, as he thinks Raquel holding the title will make her into some big star that everyone will love and worship.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I think the hottest take I've seen from last night's Takeover is that Io made Raquel look like poo poo apparently and is incredibly selfish? Because she controlled like 95% of the match.

The selfish comments are especially funny considering Thunder Rosa has mentioned that Io is one of the most selfless and wonderful women she's ever shared a locker room with.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 8, 2021

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Vince breaking up The Hurt Business just because he could is...still one of his most baffling decisions in recent memory. There was literally no upside to breaking them up. The only reason I could imagine that he would break them up is because he was afraid Bobby might get cheered against Drew when live audiences return at Mania. But I don't think that was ever going to happen. Instead after THB broke up, that same night, Baron Corbin showed up on RAW (despite being a Smackdown superstar) and reforming two thirds of the "Midcard of Evil" with Bobby.

I won't lie, I would be utterly fascinated to dissect Vince's thought processes just because they are so...disorganized.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I struggle to think of a modern day wrestling faction that was worse than Retribution. I think their only redeeming factor was their entrance song.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

jesus WEP posted:

I’m glad he’s back because it’s good when someone criticises WWE from a better informed position than some jabroni hooting and hollering over a 5 second gif and a recap of a recap of a recap

I am still waiting for the day the mods finally cave to my demands and turn this subforum into its true form, a battlebots discussion forum tbh

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I think Retribution's biggest accomplishment was...beating the RAW Men's Survivor Series team right before the event itself...just for the RAW team to go on and basically sweep Team Smackdown at the event.

I know Reckoning though didn't win a single match on the main roster, and I think only won once on Main Event apparently. She probably had one of the worst main roster debuts of all time.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Aphrodite posted:

Cancel Culture featuring Joey Ryan.

I completely forgot that faction existed. I also wish I could forget Joey Ryan existed but alas.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Pylons posted:

Is there a Japanese battlebots?

There is, although they are puny compared to REAL BATTLEBOTS

Here you go!

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Blaise330 posted:

I..... THINK Bobby Roode tries harder

Rich dickhead Bobby Roode was a huge improvement over Kross.

Its funny seeing Triple H try and justify these title changes by claiming that Kross and Raquel are hot acts and need the titles. Kross's title win tonight just pissed the vast majority of people off, and Raquel's win was almost immediately overshadowed by social media dumping on her with a combination of Io being showered with praise for carrying Raquel in that match.

The title doesn't make the person, the person makes the title. I cannot see the NXT Men's and Women's titles not losing prestige after these past few days. And I would argue until today, those two titles felt way more prestigious than any of the titles on the main roster.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

kitten emergency posted:

kross is literally a HHH clone with no hair, that’s why trips likes em

Nah, Triple H is still more interesting than Kross ever will be.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Procrastinator posted:

what was the previous team

Byron Saxton, Samoa Joe, and Tom Philips.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Makes me wonder if the other announce teams are getting a shakeup as well. I imagine Smackdown is considering Corey is likely gone from there.

Would be nice for NXT to get rid of Vic Joesph as well. He's not bad, just completely boring and lifeless for someone who is supposed to be the play by play commentator. Replace him with Samoa Joe or something.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Procrastinator posted:

honestly i much prefer vic's boring standard commentary to beth and barrett's constant faux excitement voices

This is definitely a massively unpopular take, but I miss Mauro. Yes he was incredibly overbearing and obnoxious but at least he sounded like he was genuinely interested in what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
https://twitter.com/mcclureWX/status/1380990649000996868

It'll be done with by time the show actually starts.