Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Intruder posted:

remember when people gave a poo poo about nxt

Yes, I remember the terrible period when Triple H was the beloved hero who has no ego and was the savior of wrestling all because he booked a few long matches involving good workers for a developmental brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

a man who wrestled The Stro to a 60(?) minute time limit draw in an elementary school cafeteria for the nwa title is scheduled to wrestle for the top belt in wwe

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Goldberg's going to have more endurance than Drew in the Rumble match.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

who else has TV deals other than AEW and WWE?

Impact and ROH do. Not big ones, but they still have TV.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

bartok posted:

Cena and Edge had enough pull that if they threatened to walk there would have been no segment.

Unfortunately the fans would have sided with WWE and thus Cena and Edge unite to...make their own lives worse.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Sid was right.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

WWE was never going to start to fall until the Raw and Smackdown deals come up (and if they would get bad deals after).

All this means is that even more of WWE's revenue is dependent on some other company thinking their product has worth, and their major shows lose even more value.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

Is it true that Military Veteran, MMA Fighter, Anarchist Defeater and Reigning United States Champion Bobby "American Hero," Lashley savagely beat up a rapist on Raw? What a great babyface he is.

I know this isn't really WWE related, but this reminded me when TNA moved to Destination America, the first thing the network requested was that they take the title off Lashley for not being enough of an American hero.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Blaise330 posted:

Who did the title get put on? Or did TNA tell them to gently caress off

Angle. Which I get because it's Angle, but it's still insane that Olympic Athlete could be considered more RAH RAH AMERICA than Literal US Soldier.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

graph posted:

hm wonder why

Well yes I know, that's the part I was implying and what makes it exceptionally awful.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Why is Wrestlemania?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Other people may have helped things along the way, but any answer other than Ronda Rousey's rise in the UFC is wrong. Ronda arguably had the biggest positive influence on US Women's wrestling of anybody ever before she had a single match.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Lamuella posted:

Rousey was signed by UFC in 2012, at which point Paige, Sasha Banks and Charlotte were all signed, Sara Del Rey was working as a developmental trainer, and AJ Lee had been on TV doing her anti-diva gimmick on TV for 18 months. Rousey increased the interest in women in combat sports, but saying any answer other than her is "wrong" is arrogant horseshit.

You're right.

Rousey's rise in MMA in general. It's unfair to give Dana White credit for Rousey's work.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Eat My Fuc posted:

I think the biggest catalyst outside of women like Paige, AJ Lee, and others was that one horrific night where the fans chanted horrible poo poo at the women all night about which wrestlers they were loving, and other sexist poo poo. The backlash to that was pretty huge.

talking bout this night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5t-CuJcMV0

the RAW after Wrestlemania crowd is the worst of wrestling fans.

poo poo like this is why I refuse to give anybody with a direct connection to WWE credit for the extra interest in women's wrestling.

Ronda Rousey changed attitudes about women in wrestling from wrestlers to management to fans, and her fall from grace in MMA also played a role in that.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Calling their women's division Knockouts was the rare case of TNA's desire to use clever plays on words in everything working out wonderfully.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

your friend wicka posted:

Was it Trish who got in trouble for putting on too good of a match during one of the PPVs?

Melina and Michelle McCool, I believe.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Adrenaline
In my soul
Something something
Ahh my hole

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rick posted:

When they told Roman he was in the Elimination Chamber and he just said “nope” that should have been that.

Wait is this really what happened?

Because Roman going "No I'm not going to be in your stupid match just because the show is called Elimination Chamber" would be the coolest thing written for him in a long, long time.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I can't believe I'm going to defend WWE in any way, but here I go.

If the plan is for Lashley to squash Miz because Miz is weak and stupid, then everything that happened at the Chamber is maybe the best way WWE could have gotten Lashley out of the midcard and where he's belonged for a while now, and possibly WWE's best use of Lashley...ever.

Everything else other than it sucks, but that piece is good and it'd be really nice if after working hard to become a really loving good pro wrestler over the last decade Lashley got rewarded with it by having a storyline where he's basically the coolest and smartest and best person in the world.

Unless it's all just for Lashley to put Drew over, because Lashley is way cooler than Drew.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Yay Lashley

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Seams posted:

somebody explain what the point of champ miz was.

To make Lashley look cool and good while not doing the Lashley/Drew match until Mania.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

It's boggling to me why AEW isn't wiping the floor with this company in the ratings.

You don't overcome a like 3 million person headstart in one night (or one year).

Luckily WWE is working hard to meet AEW half way.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

Shanna from AEW just started an OnlyFans like yesterday and it's bringing in $50k A MONTH

Sucks to be signed to WWE where you can't do that. Back to catering with you!

Women wrestlers making bank on their OnlyFans is the logical end result of those creepy auctions where worn women's gear sells for like 30 times the price men's does and all I can say is make that money.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rarity posted:

That's loving wild considering she's barely ever featured on TV

We live in a world where if you're a woman there's a very real argument to be made that being a regular on Dark is comparable to being in the main event of Wrestlemania and that is both hilarious and sad.

Edit: Also where do you find out how much money someone is getting from OnlyFans?

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 3, 2021

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Listen NXT got beat badly but TNA's Monday Night Wars were way more shameful.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

As of September 2020, Jeff Hardy signed a 5 year deal as long as he could use his music. I know wrestlers are famously dumb, but they should ALL known better by now. Especially after seeing how much more fun that Matt Hardy, Brodie Lee, and Jon Moxley had when leaving.

This also would've been an A+ thread title last year as "WWE are Seth in their ways"

Hey, Jeff is smart enough to know that he can talk up AEW and the scenarios are:

A) He gets fired, goes to AEW to hang out with Matt.
B) He sticks around and gets used as much as he is now for lots of money
C) He gets sent home for lots of money

or D) He's Jeff and he's loving weird but we know this one is true no matter the situation.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

CM Punk's legacy to me is every time people went 'GOTTA MAKE ROMAN LOOK STRONG' in complaint to Roman winning things, thus showing that any fandom of Punk had nothing to do with anything he ever said and everything to do with what people wanted Punk to be saying.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Timby posted:

I ... wait ... really? This is what Rollins has been reduced to?

Sweet Jesus, you stop watching wrestling for a few years and then see ... this. I don't even know how to make heads or tails of it.

Rollins has always been bad at Twitter independent of WWE.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Shard posted:

Now that recaps aren't being posted here anymore I'll be able to be shocked when something truly crazy happens. Feels like the last tie to WWE is dying. I wonder if we'll ever get to a point where we don't even have a WWE thread.

I mean, we've gone from weekly WWE threads to monthly WWE threads to annual ones, so...maybe?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Half the locker room could walk out and the result would be 'ha ha more money for us' so there is no way Vince gives a single poo poo about some mid-40s dork and his easily-replacable small friend.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

flatluigi posted:

I missed it, what actually happened here

Vince: gently caress it, I want to break up The Hurt Business.

Lashley/MVP: Listen Vince that's bad here are reasons why.

Vince: Well poo poo, now I really want to break up The Hurt Business!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Wazzu posted:

Is Roman or HBK the physically weakest guy that Vince has tried to build the company around?

It's kind of hilarious how much Vince values strength....but then builds up Roman and never Cesaro.

Austin.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I am shocked, shocked, that it turns out Drew McIntyre is a piece of poo poo.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Seth is right in that the fans were stupid for thinking he was cooler and better than Roman, and the cash-in at Mania 31 that resulted was a horrible mistake that shouldn't have happened.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

John Dudebro posted:

honestly if wwe had just doubled down on roman and had him just beat brock in 2015 they probably would have been better off but instead they spent the next five years building up coronations just to get cold feet right at the end

If WWE had doubled down on Roman then fans would at least be able to tell themselves Roman is the problem instead of it being the entire company.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Kunabomber posted:

I've been listening to old Art of Wrestling podcasts and Colt Cabana had Kofi Kingston on in 2012, and apparently the locker room was pretty drat friendly back then when all the NXT people came up. I wonder if the locker room isn't as toxic as I would make it out to be based on the product being presented to us right now.

By all accounts Roman is quick to go 'gently caress off' to anybody who is really pissing off the entire locker room (i.e. Enzo), so it's more of a 'management is full of dipshits' kind of thing.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

Haven't they been about to break into the latin american market for like 20 goddamn years?

No.

They succeeded at one point when they pushed Rey Mysterio (and Eddie Guerrero?) a lot, but other than that, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

ICR posted:

The story is that Jade didn’t fit the culture and is very strong in her convictions. Which, judging by her social media, sounds about right. She is who she is and can’t be molded.

I read this as modded and agreed with her 'down with mods' stance.