Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Karma Tornado I laughed and laughed at your post in the last thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Bryan works a pretty safe style most of the time now but drat does he throw his brain into the ground for no reason still at times which would make me scared of him going anywhere else. drat would I love to see him in the G1 though so much.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I was thinking of skipping the show but the spoilers sounded funny. So glad I tuned in.

Raw starts with Triple H basically saying, “Listen Randy, I understand setting the Fiend on fire, killing him. He’s dead. You killed him. No big deal. Live by the sword. But making fun of Mark Henry? That’s too far!” This. This is why I watch.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Blaise330 posted:

Did Lucha Underground have any fireballs? Although I guess if this was LU, Alexa and Randy woulda had 2 matches by now

Lucha Underground had the best crowd in wrestling. Partially because at least some of them were extras, whatever Konan claims, but whatever they still got a lot of people to buy in.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

From going there to a lot of the shows, it wasn't extras. There were occasionally some local wrestling school guys as plants if there was going to be a "wrestler gets thrown into the crowd" spot or something, and sometimes you'd have some celebrities or family of the PAs or whatever, but not paid extras, at least not once you got past the first round of episodes as it got off the ground. The real driver was that they didn't charge anything for tickets and so you had a ton of local people who would go every week. There was a sense of community and also people wanted the promotion to do as well as possible so that it would keep going. LU had one hell of a packed roster for a show you could go to for free. The crowd would enthusiastically go along with basically anything because no one wanted to kill the golden goose of free wrestling shows. They also made sure the regulars in the crowd always got tickets even though it was theoretically a first-come first-serve kind of thing.

This makes sense to me. Especially in that area everything is loving expensive so a free show, yeah I'd go to it and make some noise.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Well, I planned on watching NXT tonight but my DVR decided I didn't want to. Again.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

It’s always possible that Vince is far enough gone by now that he thinks Cole is Shawn Michaels reborn

He's just waiting for him to have his growth spurt.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Kaiju Raw Battel

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

mooseinfants posted:

Kinda sucks that Elayna and Priscilla are lost for the next 5 years but I guess AEW wasn't interested in either of them anyway for whatever reason since Priscilla hadn't been around for months and Elayna did a few Dark matches a 3 months ago and hasn't been seen since. They both have good looks and a lot of potential that will almost assuredly be turned into generic wrestler who likes to wrestle crap in NXT.

They don't get turned into crap until they go to the main roster.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

You say that but here we have Fox and USA paying big money for WWE and what has that got them?

And sports right haven't gone down really and while the NHL is the NBA/NFL in terms of ratings it does draw a better level of advertiser. So really getting the same type of deal, a worse deal or even a better deal; is all likely

The reason NHL was on NBC Sports Network though is they already tried a bidding war and failed.

I dunno I would probably preempt NXT during the playoffs but otherwise if I was on the “hurt AEW” train like USA is also on I would probably stick with NXT most of the year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Hey so you know how Ciampa and Thatcher formed a tag team and joined the Dusty Classic? What, you don't know even if you do watch NXT? Well that's because it happened on social media instead.... but that's not important, the important thing is that they'll be wrestling their first match in the Dusty Classic very soon!

On 205 Live. :psyduck:

At least Ciampa waited until after the blow off match to team up with the guy he was feuding with earlier in the week this time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lid posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/WWE205Live/status/1352825058960568320

i dont even know whats happening in this federation anymore

I guess all those fines forced the Young Bucks to need to take a side job. Should've taken the payout from Callis.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

shiksa posted:

retribution should pull off their masks and reveal somehow now full face fiend masks and then say "we're now called fiendtribution." then mace could carry around an empty beer keg like the guy from slipknot. and then ricochet sees them all turning fiend and he says "im fiend too. im not like u guys but im fiend ricochet now" and theyre like "okay" and he says "okay" and we end up with FWO Heal and FWO Hurt

This is cool.

Ricochet being smart enough to get on the right side of history is the hard part to believe though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

NBC, to use an industry term, has worked themselves into a shoot with this little brand deal (!!)

Lol, I wish some reporter would use this as a headline because it's perfect.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I honestly can't decide if this makes it more or less likely NXT returns to network only. I'm leaning towards more.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Pylons posted:

It's a short-term win but they've essentially thrown in the towel on growing the WWE Network which was supposed to reduce their dependency on rights fees.

They weren't going to get a billion worth of new subscribers in four years when they get their rights back.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Blaise330 posted:

Can anyone quickly explain to me how torturing kofi and xavier works into Mustafa Ali's plan to destroy WWE?

All of this retribution stuff is because Ali is mad at Kofi for sliding into his spot and doing Kofi mania, but Ali can't admit it because he's afraid of someone typing "u mad" at him. All of it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ganso Bomb posted:

If it's a 3 hour-ish show and each rumble match is at least roughly 1 hour, they don't need 7 other matches on the show.

This company does a lot of dumb things but I've seen this complaint a lot and just don't get it. Do you want a 6 hour Royal Rumble PPV?

The best part of pandemic PPVs is they are sometimes significantly shorter than Raw.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Triple cage of doom but instead it's ontop of WWE headquarters who says no

Not me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Seams posted:

Just evidence of how dogshit the last 10 Rumbles have been lol.

I don't agree with this at all. If anything the Rumble is the last thing they remember how to book.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Hirez posted:

Is it now kayfabe that Edge's tolerence to the rko from taking it so much + the steel rods in his neck/back make him immune so he can no sell it after like an hour out there

The RKO pinches the rods into his spine to disable all pain signals.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When your demo is people in their late 50 and 60s then Edge is a spring chicken.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

bartok posted:

That was my first WWE PPV in nearly two years and were they always that bad with the ads? I remember they used to show ads during the preshow but I don't remember that many during the actual PPV itself. Was the commentary always that poo poo too? It's barely a step up from the old Smackdown games.

It depends. Like once a decade as far back as the 80s they just go crazy with ads for a year or two, then they can't find advertisers who will pay what they want for creative reasons they start to tone it down again. Peacock is a service with ads on it though so this is just how it's going to be going forward probably.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Lucha House Party vs Hurt Business was a pretty good match until the last thirty seconds when LHP was like "oh yeah we're jobbers" and laid there while HB did their storyline thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Seems like someone decided it was time to close a bunch of open threads on Raw today but Raw is so absurd these days that it almost feels extraneous. Like Vince my man I don’t know why Auska and Charlotte were teamed up in the first place, you don’t need to shoot the break up. And I had already forgotten that Cedric was too enthusiastic in the Hurt Business, we don’t need Shelton doing it too and commentary declaring them even. I don’t need Lashley kicking Riddle’s rear end so hard that he got DQed to explain why Riddle will get another title shot since I still don’t know why he got this one. Stop trying to mix Realism into my DaDa soup. Thank god their was the nonsensical Sheamus turn when Drew had said they could have a match whenever Sheamus wanted like a month ago.

I say that but I did appreciate that the fairly grounded Edge and Orton feud had a “final” blow off. If I was gullible I would believe that Edge has left this in his rear view and is finally done with Orton,as Cole tried really hard to sell at the end there (while glossing over Alexa coughing up the Venom symbiote a few seconds earlier).

Rick fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 2, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Apparently the WWE hired someone whose job involves storyline consistency so that might be why some threads closed yesterday. Good luck with that job though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Edge vs Balor would probably be the best match of the three possibilities although Edge would 100% die.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Astro7x posted:

The sheer amount of screens behind the ring just kills the quality of the stream.... I feel like I am watching sub 720p most of the time these days with WWE. Maybe it's intentional so everyone doesn't look so old

In order to get the screens to show up they have to really blast the lighting and it makes everything washed out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm really glad NXT's angles are simple it is part of why it's easy to just pick and choose what I want from it and make my own two hour Wednesday show I enjoy between that stuff and the parts of AEW I like.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I liked Edge's promo but it was really farfetched and him talking to Dunn and Balor like they're youngins is hard when you actually know their age, or that Pete Dunn is someone Edge has heard of let alone someone who reminds him of himself.

Benne posted:

The former Tyler Reks came out as trans

https://twitter.com/SportsRadioKJR/status/1357470821237809153

Another example of a wrestler becoming much happier after leaving WWE :)

This is really good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

Pete Dunne is 27

The joke is on me, I am so used to everyone being old in the company I just assumed Dunne was too.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rarity posted:

If you're into women's wrestling then you should really check out some joshi matches. The level of quality is light years beyond anything going in WWE. TJPW gets a lot of love on this forum but it can be a bit goofy at times so if more serious stuff is your vibe STARDOM's the best place to go. Also AEW has had a lot of flack for its women's division since starting up but they're about to run a 16-woman tournament for a title shot that is just loaded with talent and would be a great jumping on point.

As someone who is pretty disappointed with AEW's woman's division I am still very excited by the tournament.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

To that point, does anyone talk about Io at all?

She's been wonderful, but she also has ran the table in NXT now, and I sure as heck don't want Vince/Pritchard booking to get ahold of her.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I was really hoping we'd see Miz vs Johnny Bananas one more time but it looks like Johnny is done.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Edge and Orton being a consistent draw to teens but chasing away women and meaning nothing positive to men or women at all 20-50 is one of the weirder ratings things of the last month for sure.

E: fixing unfortunate wording

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 9, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

teens haven’t been watching long enough to be super bored of randall keith

Honestly, makes sense.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

your friend wicka posted:

There's pretty much no way Peacock fails unless someone (Disney, it'd be Disney) buys Comcast/the NBCUniversal SBU. I also don't think it's actually even in a weak position - it's not a coincidence that public opinion is against the platform that took The Office off Netflix and half the Premier League games off TV. Most of the other streaming services at least appear to be additive; Peacock doesn't, and that made people (me) mad, but it's still got a decent subscriber base.

Once they showed they were willing to sacrifice whole cable networks to make Peacock work its success was pretty inevitable. Throw in they give it away with Comcast and Cox and counting any of those users who fire it up and it's gonna (appear to) have huge numbers.

Comcast has the ability to ruin sure things, but, that's what it is right now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

This doesn't make it's success inevitable at all. Giving it away and getting huge numbers does not make a thing profitable or successful. They might not be able to get rid of it because it becomes part of what people expect out of their cable package but it could be a huge boondoggle if they keep pumping money into it and not getting actual revenue in return.

Giving it away absolutely isn't a sure way to get success (see: WWE Network) but they have covered so many niches now that I just don't see them failing to attract subscribers without massive fuckups.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Because cable still exists and you can't replicate cable even if you subscribe to all of these.

Cable is a better or equal deal to 'cord cutting' now for people who watch sports or sports-like things. Doesn't seem to be pushing people back to cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

In the last year we've had two streaming services launch to initially disappointing numbers and take big steps to fix things, so people don't seem pushed to sign up for every streaming service either.

You're not wrong but they had content problems that Peacock doesn't. Peackock doesn't have anything huge but they have enough attractive niches to pull people in, especially if they can get a hockey game or two a week. I dunno, I could be wrong but I think having sports at the $5 a month price point is really something only ESPN+ can also claim.