Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to styles of pizza, now that I think about it. If it's dough with sauce and cheese, I'm in there for the most part. Then again, I haven't had St. Louis or Detroit style so maybe I need to do a bit of experimentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Guy Fieri gives a TON back to the community and small businesses, so it’s good to see a good dude getting ahead.

Gordon Ramsay is still the king. Dat international audience net worth wow

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Also yesterday I saw a Lexus commercial with... dammit who was it... and it was the most pretentiously stupid thing I’ve seen in ages

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Also yesterday I saw a Lexus commercial with... dammit who was it... and it was the most pretentiously stupid thing I’ve seen in ages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8-RqCw2Qtg

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'll be impressed if Lexus made a worse commercial then literally any of their christmas ones

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Lol went to urgent care as I hurt my foot helping move furniture and X-rays came back negative but the PA said this was a weird injury and they never seen anything like it. They’re taking pics to send to a sports medicine person

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 25, 2021

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Yup. That's it.

Is it just me?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Insurance working goons, this is loving insane right?

https://twitter.com/J_Dot_J/status/1397226464081285121?s=19

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I couldn't finish watching this dreck

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

New York pizza is the best. Arguing anything else is like arguing in favor of Brooklyn barbecue.

Pizza from anywhere outside the tristate area is basically the equivalent of what gets served in arcades here.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yup. That's it.

Is it just me?

The car for people who pay for TEDx speaker spots.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

fsif posted:

New York pizza is the best. Arguing anything else is like arguing in favor of Brooklyn barbecue.

Pizza from anywhere outside the tristate area is basically the equivalent of what gets served in arcades here.

What happens if a person from the tristate area moves to Alabama and opens a pizzeria using the exact same recipes?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ehud posted:

What happens if a person from the tristate area moves to Alabama and opens a pizzeria using the exact same recipes?

It magically becomes bad.

Nov 6, 2002

Ehud posted:

Could you imagine if someone from like Texas or KC moved elsewhere and tried to make BBQ?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Could you imagine if someone from like Texas or KC moved elsewhere and tried to make BBQ?

I occasionally get BBQ from a place called Tennessee's that advertises it won Best Pulled Pork at the Great Yankee Cookoff

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Why do goons do the thing where anything that isn't x is utter garbage

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Not my picture but this was one of the best pizzas I've ever had. Won the US Pizza Cup a couple years ago.

From a place called Paulie Gee's here in Chicago. Sharp white cheddar, mozz, ezzo pepperoni cups, housemade bacon jam, red sauce, ricotta, basil, Mike’s Hot Honey

They also had an Italian beef Detroit style pizza that was to die for last summer

Nov 6, 2002

If it's a rectangle and like three inches of bread is it still a pizza?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ehud posted:

water's different

If it's a rectangle and like three inches of bread is it still a pizza?

we call that Sicilian pie around here

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Alaois posted:

water's different

What if they have water shipped in from the tristate area?

also they have invented some way to recreate the atmospheric conditions of the tristate area.

Nov 6, 2002

Alaois posted:

water's different

gatekeeping!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

a neat cape posted:

I dunno, boredom?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I don't have strong opinions about pizza, with the exception of Imo's because it's loving gross and literally every person from STL never shuts the gently caress up about it like it's a treasure. loving orange rear end sauce and provel cheese on a cracker.

It's the only pizza I just won't eat.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Thaddius the Large posted:

I dunno, boredom?

I mean you can like multiple things. It's allowed

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Alaois posted:

we call that Sicilian pie around here

Yeah Detroit-style pizza is just a variation of a Sicilian pizza.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Holy poo poo trying to drive with the boot on my foot sucks rear end haven’t been this herky jerky since I was learning stick shift

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Been lectured enough about how the tacos, barbecue, sushi, and coffee I've consumed for most my life are bullshit. It's retribution time.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Talking about regional food quality like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezv8gzbtAVg

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

e. /\/\/\ that guy has got it pegged

a neat cape posted:

I've become hyper-aware in the last year of how our (the West, I guess, or maybe just America but I see it with British stuff too?) entire culture is so obsessed with ranking things. You can't just like music, you have to have a favorite band, a favorite genre, your top ten albums you'd take with you to a desert island. You can't just enjoy food, you must have a favorite dish, a preferred pizza topping, a specific recipe for soup. You can't enjoy that bowl of pho, because there's a restaurant 30 miles away that makes better pho, which makes this bowl of pho unsatisfying somehow. Top ten actors, best decade, favorite pair of pants, best goatee style for 1998.

I suspect it's incredibly unhealthy and is part of many factors actively destroying our ability to be mentally well, enjoy life, have a positive outlook, and get along with each other. I really can't figure out where it comes from exactly. Maybe just the massive flood of options and choices that modern life supplies, our access to endless quantities of reviews and listicles, the relentless parade of advertising telling us that this brand of detergent is the best, all conditions us to compartmentalize our entire existence into a series of experiences of grass-is-greener evaluation. You can't live your best life unless you pour all of your time and energy into assessing each thing to be sure it's the best you can have.

And it's not like noticing this has made me immune, either. I'm trying hard not to do it but I still do it constantly. Which site at this campsite looks best? What should I order from this menu, hmm, would the pork adobo be better than the carnitas? Am I giving my cat the best cat food? Time for some coffee, let's decide which of my mugs is the best mug today. Endless.

I'd guess that "x is garbage, my favorite is best" is just a natural attempt to humourously, a little self-effacingly re-validate our own ranking decisions, so we can feel slightly better, and suspect just a little bit less that we're loving up and getting served an inferior life via our pizza choices.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Skwirl posted:

That's a most dystopian way of saying "we cannot make money paying claims so we're denying everything and we're selling marketers 10x more garbage data than the other guys"

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 25, 2021

Nov 6, 2002

The EU has Protected Designations of Origin that is applied to certain foods, so for instance if you're in Belgium and you want to make Camembert tough poo poo, you can make it but you can't call it that. Camembert is a PDO and only cheese from the Normandy region of France can have that name when sold.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Hot Diggity! posted:

Detroit style pizza is the best pizza and I don't think it's a particularly close contest

As a goon born in Detroit I will forever stan for that style.

T-Square posted:

I’ve always had a nagging interest to try out shooting competitions because I used to be a giant Airsoft dork in middle school, 3-gun or whatever looks fun as hell. I just feel like in this day and age that would mean socializing with a lot of Trumpy types. Is that the case?

I'm 99% sure there were :trumppop: folks there, though the event itself was pretty apolitical in general (aside from the expected talk about gun control politicians & a morning prayer before the days' events :rolleyes:).

I'm still a gigantic Airsoft dork in my 40's (I literally joined the Something Awful forums to read The Firing Range's airsoft thread) and luckily TFR let me know there's gun owners that are on the left end of the political spectrum. I got into shooting relatively late in my life so I'm fully aware that dressing up in tactical gear is just some fancy LARP'ing I do and in no way makes me a real SHEEPDOG HOORAH BROTHER DEFEND 'MURICA TIER 1 DELTA SEAL OPERATOR :bustem:. To me, shooting is a lot like golf: a physical activity that requires concentration & good fundamentals to consistently achieve desired results.

As with any hobby/pastime, the worst thing about shooting sports is who participates in it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The EU has Protected Designations of Origin that is applied to certain foods, so for instance if you're in Belgium and you want to make Camembert tough poo poo, you can make it but you can't call it that. Camembert is a PDO and only cheese from the Normandy region of France can have that name when sold.

We do this with bourbon, too.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

And yet you can't get an Olive Oil that's actually made out of Olive Oil!!!!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ranking things... poo poo tier

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i need to just give up on enchiladas and make the new mexico style ones. i've never tried par frying the tortillas but i can't get a handle on if 1 in 3 packs of tortillas i buy are too old or if i'm dipping them in the sauce for too long or not enough or if the sauce isn't hot enough.

that said, if you get a pork tenderloin and have leftovers, stew it in a can of enchilada sauce and a thinly sliced onion for an hour and baby you got the makings of some enchiladas.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

hifi posted:

ranking things... poo poo tier

That’s the Bristol scale.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm just glad Republicans are finally equating the Confederate government to Hitler and Stalin. It's nice seeing them make a concession to historical accuracy.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Leperflesh posted:

I'd guess that "x is garbage, my favorite is best" is just a natural attempt to humourously, a little self-effacingly re-validate our own ranking decisions, so we can feel slightly better, and suspect just a little bit less that we're loving up and getting served an inferior life via our pizza choices.

Yeah, with food it really is okay to just enjoy things. I try to phrase it in the personal, I like things this way, I think X is the best, etc. People's tastes can differ greatly! It can be fun to be a snob about things you grew up with, lord knows I've done it (mountains...) but in the end it's all subjective and relative. I know I love pacific northwest salmon, and I'm reluctant to order salmon anywhere else because I doubt it'll be as good. But how well do I really know that? Would that judgment hold up under a blind taste test? Who knows.

It's trite to say let people enjoy things because that's used to excuse a lot of other kinds of garbage, but it really is okay to do that sometimes. If someone derives value from food I think is gross, who am I to dump on their enjoyment? Lord knows the spice of nostalgia propels me to eat some absolutely disgusting things too (I'm a big ol piggie for Jack in the Box tacos, sooooeeeee).

Also Detroit pizza finally took off in DC last year and I thought it was great. Probably adds 1 point to my BMI every time I eat it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Absolutely insane. Especially when you consider racial biases unconsciously built into AI.

Leperflesh posted:

I really can't figure out where it comes from exactly.

I'd hazard a guess that this is a result of social media and the constant comparison that comes with it.