Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Gotta stress the takeout part of this - even if the restaurant has its own 'order online for delivery' on its website, that inevitably ends up being a Grubhub/UberEats/etc. delivery.

I looked into it and, at least in the twin cities area, lots of restaurants use online services like ToastTab that are a fixed monthly fee so there is no cost to the restaurant to use those.

But I still often call just because it's cool to talk to people and they often remember you when you show up to pick up.

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1227448209015963651

king poo poo

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Can any of you the tech nerds itt recommend a good tutorial on Python?

The free online MIT intro to comp sci course is done in Python so that might be a good start to familiarize with the language and learn coding fundamentals.

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electri...thon-fall-2016/

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I don't think I can go back to real pants after wearing very nice pajamas 95% of the time for a year.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Kalli posted:

That looks amazing.

I.... what even is this movie

https://twitter.com/LizardRumsfeld/status/1371322496411185155

Haha Chapo did an episode on this movie and it definitely delivers.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Eifert Posting posted:

Is there a better example of "rich people will spend money on anything literally anything" then NFTs? I'm fairly sure I understand what they are but I feel like I don't, just because what I understand them being is so incredibly dumb.

You ever heard of the star registry? Where people buy naming rights to stars? It's sort of like that in the sense that the thing you buy confers no privileges, exclusivity, rights, or royalties.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

Slightly related, Ted Lasso was really good.

It was so charming and fun.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Pops Mgee posted:

It’s true. This was me after i got my two modernas my two pfizers and my one johnson and johnson

The vax equivalent of getting a suicide at the soda fountain.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Pron on VHS posted:

my favorite 'tine 'fit has been a onesie with a bathrobe over it. Also, what's everyone's favorite verb? Mine is "Shirking"

Imbricate

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

I'm partial to Quaff because i learned it playing nethack as a pre-teen.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Pron on VHS posted:

Cool Blue Gatorade. Imagine quaffing a glass pot of that after killing the Butcher

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

LeeMajors posted:

Sideways is such a good movie but it’s unreal how lovely the source material was.

There was a book? I loved the movie. I also love basically anything that lets Giamatti be Giamatti.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I got the unlimited PTO situation which I do like as its one less thing to track and you never have to second guess calling out sick. I'm not a big vacation guy so I tend not to use it but instead just work 30-35hr weeks instead so it balances out.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I genuinely hope you all become Moderna Men. Pfizer Pfreaks are basically a clown cult and you don't want to be a part of that. They all listen to ICP and I'm not one to judge someone's attire but they all wear cut off jean shorts with long socks and sandals. It's really hosed up.

If you get the Moderna jab you will have a little bit of me in your veins. :twisted:

(I designed one of the fluid-contact packaging products used in their fab.)

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

GD_American posted:

wait gently caress are you telling me my vaccine is technically a goon project

Kinda, yeah.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Samadhi posted:

I could write up an :effort: post explaining why FedEx doesn't care of you want since I work in logistics. Let me know

Is it because they make the vast majority of their revenue via corporate accounts and deliveries?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

C-Euro posted:

Oh yeah, that reminds me that I'm going to finally have a back yard when we close on this house at the end of the month (a back patio, really). What's a good option for baby's first grill?

Classic Weber IMO

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-741001...17298826&sr=8-4

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
The new Magic set coming out has a bunch of Wizard Football cards

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

ZuluDashOne posted:

Also I just hope these vaccines are good enough that I can hit all these concerts that were lined up for last year and got pushed back to this year. RATM + RTJ on 7/5 is ganna be loving sweet.

Holy poo poo I just checked and there's floor tickets still available at retail in Minneapolis and I just snatched one up. These were $500+ pre-covid.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

I love any girl who is into ping pong.

:same: Ping pong is one of the things I miss the most about pre-covid times.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Silly Burrito posted:

And if not that, freetaxusa.com worked beautifully as well.

Still absolutely abhorrent that there isn't a single definitive tax software provided for free by irs.gov but I guess that's what millions in lobbying by HR Block and Intuit will get you.

e: The fake sense of "choice" that marketizing this sort of thing provides is exactly what Roth broke down so well in today's article.

https://defector.com/private-choices-have-public-consequences/

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

harperdc posted:

Or, you know, not having to prepare a tax filing yourself if you’re employed by a big business. As is the case in many (most?) other countries.

Maybe Blindsite can tell us about the process in Australia, but for me out here, it’s always been withholdings from paycheck. No paperwork or filing really at all.

Truth, the IRS is more than willing to auto-file everyone who's taxes is a simple W-2 and send you the paperwork to review and approve but, again, lobbying.

C-Euro posted:

Some day I will get a paid subscription to Defector, but I already have so much stuff that I "need" to read but haven't.

I 100% feel you but I have a standing requirement to pay for and consume any content produced by David Roth and Jon Bois.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Yea, but she also says "we'll be in a much better place", so it seems like she wants the population reduced.

This is why it's pointless to engage with these people. They have no internal logic.

David Roth posted:

One of the defining aspects of the highly caffeinated conservative cable news sludge that Trump still chugs thirstily from morning until night is that it is hard to understand. It is intended to induce a state of heated clammy umbrage in the slack and softening minds of its consumers, and reliably does that, but it does this more through tone and frequency than by means of information. The point is to keep everyone watching both very upset and kind of curious about what exactly they’re upset about. This worked both on Trump and for him, but in no way can it be said to have made him more informed. Nothing on earth has ever really done that, but the idea is to repeat things enough that even passive viewers will be able to pick up the broad strokes, learn the heroes and villains and outrages and memes, get upset when they’re supposed to get upset and keep watching through the commercial breaks. Someone who watches enough hours of this will become not just familiar with but wholly conversant in all the salty phonemes that make up its language, but never quite know what the gently caress they’re talking about.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Yer a murderer, Kimmy!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

If you could remove any profession from existence what would you pick?

Given the video that just dropped in Chicago, Cop, at least as it is conceived of in modern America.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Spoeank posted:

Dogecoin is going loving apeshit today :stare:

I think I'm glad because it snuffs out the tiny glimmer of doubt that this whole thing is the dumbest loving thing ever conceived by man.

Spoeank posted:

I think all crypto and nfts are dumb as poo poo but I have acknowledged that nerds can just create value through sheer power of will so I kick in a little here and there

Really important to distinguish between exchange and use value here.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

I think the purple racetrack to the left is the endoplasmic reticulum if my 8th grade biology class still serve me right.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Samadhi posted:

Mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cells

My man

FizFashizzle posted:

mitochondria

ER would be to the bottom right.

It was purple in my textbook, I remember this vividly. :(

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Before it’s premier The Good Place had a commercial campaign that made it look like an embarrassing mess for idiots. Kind of like Bobs Burgers.

I only even considered watching it because two writers were guests on The Lowe Post and pitched it really well. And they mentioned Megan Amram was a writer/producer.

Top 10 half hour show of all time.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

When I saw the title I was hoping it would be about Twisted Metal.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Abugadu posted:

I feel like the way that people treat waitstaff at restaurants is one of the few clear windows into a person's soul.

Similarly, whether a person returns a grocery cart to the designated collection zone or leaves it behind in their parking spot if a very simple but incisive look into a person.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I mostly lurk here but this is Schmutz and Kibbutz

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Thats an amazing shot. Kibbutz sometimes does a less regal, more HappyCat pose

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Hot Diggity! posted:

Get an aeropress for making coffee unless you're making a ton at once it's awesome.

Aeropress and a burr grinder set to a little chunkier than espresso grind. Replace aeropress every couple years when the rubber gets brittle and you notice leakage past the seal.

e: Also, a 90% full aeropress cylinder w/ 20g of ground pressed into a large cup filled with ice = amazing Japanese iced coffee.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

I occasionally read TVIV, and it was actually helpful when I was watching the sopranos. I do wonder if Jerusalem has a life though. That guys has done huge write ups for at least three shows, maybe more. I can’t even imagine how much time that guy spends watching and writing about TV just for SA. It’s good stuff, but it’s a lot.

Most of my posting is in SAS and the LAN Chicago thread.

I remember Jerusalem did an incredibly high-effort Lets Play of GTA:SanAndreas like 10 years go. It had in-character custom narration and embedded gameplay gifs.

I think my dude just really enjoys putting in the work for fun projects and sharing them with us. :unsmith:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Shinji2015 posted:

Today's episode of Behind the Bastards was fantastic. I can't believe how much I forgot about Gates being a POS.

If this sort of thing interests you, I highly recommend the Citations Needed episode on Bill Gates

https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-45-the-not-so-benevolent-billionaire-bill-gates-and-western-media

CN is a great podcast in general too.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

seiferguy posted:

Move over, Eli:

https://twitter.com/BSO/status/1404806261347074067?s=19

Real peak performance right here.

It might just be the camera angle but it looks like my dude is packing a massive hog there.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1405275688404357122

lol this dude totally wrote "let's call a spade a spade" and someone said something to him but rather than remove it entirely he changed it to ace

Love that careful shifting of terms to avoid using the old "call a spade a spade" racist aphorism.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Intruder posted:

My old cat loved tummy rubs. But if you rubbed his tummy he was going to bite your hand and claw your arm. And then if you stopped rubbing his tummy he'd look at you like "Why the gently caress aren't you rubbing my tummy?"

He ruled tbh

Except for the fact that he liked to pee on the floor directly in front of his litterbox instead of in it. I'd clean the litterbox (he pooped in it) and put fresh litter in and he'd immediately go pee on the floor while staring at me so bye bye kitty, I let the ex take him when she left

My cat will aggressively lick your hand when you go for tummy rubs. It's a win win I think.

edit: bonus action shot I just took while posting

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Dango Bango posted:

drat, props to you all for just shaving you heads. Unfortunately I'm not blessed with a great head shape which is why I want to get out in front of my thinning hair.

I am in a similar spot in that the writing is on the wall hair-wise but I'm not ready to just buzz/shave it down. Best thing I've found is to just find a short/med hairstyle that you like and fits your expectations re: maintenance. The worst thing you can do is try to enforce an artificial hairline; just ask the barber to get it to the same length and let it fall where it may.

As a rule, any effort/money/time/stress you put towards your hair can be much better spent on other things (fitness, weight loss, etc) with much better results.