Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I made the top 10 in posting. I suck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

Someone didn't drink enough water in between cocktails last night. Ugh.

But my dog is snuggled up next to me so I can't complain. Happy new year goons.

Me too, although my headache isn’t too bad. Getting old sucks. Like three drinks and I’m hungover for half the day.

NYD is a big food tradition day for me. Breakfast is waffles, dinner is Ciopino, and afternoon is snacks and bowl games.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I’m going to try and lose weight this year. I’ve said it for like three years running though. I need to lose like 10 lbs. so not talking a huge amount, but I just haven’t been able to do it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Oh, I have a new intention for this year, get a vasectomy.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ehud posted:

I really like the people who vote 4.

“I’m having a good time, but it could be a little better.”

We could always be posting better Ehud.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Without Mayo, we don’t have elote, so Mayo is good.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

D-LINK posted:

1. sincere posting
2. empathy posting
3. drunk posting
4. fakeposting
5. irony posting
6. lunch posting
7. troll posting
8. mad about politics posting
9. pet posting
10. meta posting
11. chat posting

That's already more than I was expecting carnale

Ska posting
Punk posting
Metal posting
Skating rink hits of the 90s posting

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Spoeank posted:

Have you considered, instead, this article from realhealthnews.biz that says covid is just a vitamin d deficiency

I’m amazed at how many normally intelligent people get sucked in by these bullshit sites. I have a friend, her parents are both retired rocket scientists, and they are constantly sending her conspiracy theory websites about COVID-19. She sends actual legit things back and they just get brushed aside.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

Awesome news Timby!

I wish the GA Sec would've just said, "You lost, Mr President."

For people that scream that the election is rigged, there's audio proof that they're trying to rig it right there. I know, projection and all, but poo poo.

Well you see, Trump actually won by 100,000 votes in Georgia, but that dastardly Secretary of State is hiding them! This is what they actually believe.

I can’t wait for January 21st.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

drat Timby, glad you came through ok. That’s a hell of a laundry list you’ve got.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

certification exam in the morning

with any luck this time tomorrow night i'll be able to treat everyone's ED and STDs.

Can I get a scrip for starts with a D?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I took vicadin once and that was enough. I was also given some morphine in the ER and it was a pretty miserable couple of hours until it wore off. I hope I never end up in serious pain because I really hate opioids.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

General Dog, call The NY Times and get your name in the paper.

https://twitter.com/jscros/status/1345798356732440576?s=20

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Glad I'm not the only one who didn't sleep great. Took me a lot longer to fall asleep than normal, then woke up twice from nightmares. My wife had to wake me up once because I was trying to scream in my dream and to her it sounded like I was struggling to breathe or something.

Another goal for this year, not be in the top 10 posters, which I realize this isn't helping. I should probably be more productive with my time.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I think I need to give up woodworking as a hobby. Not because I don't like it, but because every time I make a mistake, I have to explain it to my wife, then I have to hear about it from her what I should have done. Then she goes online and looks at the same thing online and asks why I didn't make it like that. I'm just sick of having every little thing critiqued, especially when I already know I screwed it up.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

wandler20 posted:

No one but you needs to know you hosed up. You can almost always fix it. Do that and move on. Woodworking owns, don't quit.

Well this particular issue is I was making an edge grain cutting board. Somewhere along the line gluing up each board, it got warped a litle. The only reason she knew about it is because I unclamped it and was testing it on the kitchen counter to see if it was flat, and it was obviously not. So now I'm trying to figure out the best way to straighten it. I can either plane it until it's flat, but that would take quite a bit of thickness of the board, or maybe I could heat it and clamp it down and see if it stays flat this time.

I agree, I don't want to quit, but this happens to me a lot. I have an issue, and then I get 20 questions from my wife about it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

Why is your wife nitpicking your hobby to the point you don't even enjoy it anymore?

In her head, she's doing it so I can get better at it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

We’ve talked about similar things in the past. I’m overreacting a little bit too because she also did help me find ways to fix the issue I was having. So I know it’s coming from a good place, I think it’s just how she says things sometimes that grate me the wrong way. I also have a tendency to not take criticism all that well.

We’ve been talking about this kind of stuff more because we were not doing great over the summer.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

General Dog posted:

Now, we don't know the whole story. For instance, Bird could be making hand-crafted wooden "marital aids," in which case a certain amount of negative feedback could be understandable.

Look, this sandpaper grit only gets so fine.

For real, it’s a cutting board for her to use, so I can understand her wanting something that works because otherwise I’m just making her a gift that will aggravate her more. I’ll get it fixed, I think I was just venting because I was mad at myself for the mistake, and at that moment was frustrated with her.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Timby posted:

Yeah, seriously. I'm sure she's not doing it to be mean, but if her feedback is aggravating you to the point that you want to drop a hobby that you find fun and rewarding, then you owe it to yourself to say something about it. It sounds like a cliché, but something as simple as saying, "Look, I know you're trying to help, but could you maybe try a different approach" or something along those lines can go a very long way. Long story short is that your wife may have absolutely no idea that she's bothering you so much, and she can't fix something that's broken if you don't tell her that it's broken. Open, frequent and honest communication is the bedrock of any solid relationship, so keep those lines of communication open.

And it will also be good to say something for your own mental health, because dropping woodworking due to your wife's criticism just seems like something that can fester as a resentment and ignite a nasty argument somewhere down the road.

Yes, thank you. Communicating better is something I am slowly improving on because I tend to just shut up and suck it up, but then it leads to anger and resentment later.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

I know Bill Simmons has ruined the goddamn show, but I swear Omar is the best character in a TV show.

Also, braksgirl, I ended up jinxing myself on the Disney hate because my wife bought us passes on sale. "We haven't been in years!" Fml

Have you talked to her about this?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

This is absolutely hilarious for the timing of announcer hyperbole and what actually happens in the replay.

When will this violence in sports stop!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Who the hell knows this time. There should be less voters, which will make things go quicker, but since it’s expected to be a tight race, we probably won’t know for sure for a few days.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Things are looking positive in Georgia and I’m trying not to get my hopes up.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I'm going to get all of my Georgia news from this thread because I have zero desire to relive the dread and anxiety that was election day.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1346647684900417536?s=20

At least one race is starting to get called. Ossoff is running slightly behind Warnock’s numbers, but he’s still looking likely to win.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hey I didnt wake up to any texts or calls asking me to vote

It’s finally over 😭😭

Joey, you won’t believe what Perdue said!

Joey, you really let me down. Why didn’t you respond?

Joey, we need you now more than ever!

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 6, 2021

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Who is Joe Manchin and why is everyone suddenly talking about him?

Democratic senator from WV. He's on the far right end of the democrats, and could probably get elected as a Republican if he switched parties. Notoriously against pretty much all progressive policies some Dems have pushed lately.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

How many R and D senate seats are up next cycle?

20 R's vs. 14 D's. Warnock is up for reelection in 2022 again. I would say Republicans will need to actively defend 6 seats (FL, PA, OH, WI, IA, and NC), while Dems will actively need to defend 2 seats (AZ and GA).

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 6, 2021

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I will gladly fight Rudy, or Trump.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Georgia just elected two Dem senators, clearly this is a sign we want to work with Republicans. loving idiot.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Joey Freshwater, since you seem to know the most about this, what's going on with that boat that lost like half its cargo? Is there a way to find out what was lost? I think my job may have been affected by it because I was waiting on some valves and all of a sudden the lead time jumped by months.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

I think last I read they've only discharged less than 100 containers since it arrived in Kobe, so it'll be a while before a full assessment is done.

Do you have any tracking info or know where the cargo was coming from?

e: yeah less than 100 still, but there was a Japanese holiday until the 4th and ONE (owner of the ship) asked them to slow the process for safety reasons. General Average hasn't been declared yet but it likely will be.

I don't have any tracking, I'm like three steps away from that, I know it comes out of China, but I don't know what part. I order from a distributor, who orders from a wholesaler, who gets it from the factory. They're steel valves from Crane. It's not something that would specifically be coming to me, it would be a large order the wholesaler places. Mostly I was just wondering if I could figure out if somehow a whole bunch of Crane valves ended up at the bottom of the ocean, but I figured it was a longshot.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Can the FCC fine cable stations?

No. Cable stations can literally do whatever they want. They just usually don't.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Hot Diggity! posted:

Mike Pence's twitter header is now Joe and Kamala

Welcome to the resistance Mike!

I have no clue what is going to come of all this. Are Republicans just going to pretend none of this ever happened and try to move on?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

i think trump's being told right now he either resigns or gets impeached

josh hawley at the minimum has to go for this

By who? Like do we really think some 17 or whatever Republican senators would actually sign on to removing Trump?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Isn’t she still a senator?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Seems like cabinet members, Pence, and probably some staffers have at least informally pushed Trump aside.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

C-Euro posted:

I wonder if there's bipartisan support for shortening the lame duck period after all this.

Like obviously there would need to be a lot of work to speed up elections at the state level but why was a dude like Trump allowed to stay in office months after being voted out and build up support for something like this

Part of it is our stupidly long election certification process. We give states like a month to certify. Then they need to have the electoral vote, then the poo poo that was supposed to happen today. There’s no reason it should take this long, but the constitution requires a million steps. If anything though, inauguration should be immediately after congress certifies the results. At least that would cut two weeks off.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I can’t believe you guys watched all that last night.

Has anybody asked how none of these traitors have jobs? What they can all just head to DC during the middle of a work week? A bunch of lazy bums mooching off the government, I tell you what.

Seriously though, I hope at some point someone faces real consequences for this poo poo. I am really sick and tired of watching fascists pull poo poo like this and walk away while the left gets beat and bloodied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

And 99.9% of the people around here loving *hate* him. His neighbors can’t stand him.

That’s true of NY too. Honestly, he needs to move to backwoods Alabama or something. People would suck up to him so much there.