Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I gotta ask, are vaccinated asymptomatic people contagious five days after a positive test?

If yes, this is a colossal mistake. If no, why is everyone getting upset?

My guess would be that the CDC really doesn’t know if they’re spreading or not, and so they’re just hoping they don’t spread it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Maybe there really is good science behind it, but the CDC has made recommendations before that really weren’t supported. Like at the very beginning they told people they didn’t need masks because they wanted masks saved for the hospitals. Then they had to change course a few weeks later.

This just seems like a move to get people back to work faster, and also adds confusion. I’d rather the CDC play it safe because I just know this is going to lead to a bunch of unvaccinated people coming back too early because they misinterpreted the CDC recommendations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I guess I’m just suspicious of how much evidence they have that asymptomatic aren’t really spreading after 5 days. I guess they have new info, but they went from 10 days to 5 days, which just seems at odds with everything that was being talked about for the last like 18 months.

I’d be less concerned if a lot of other countries were going this route, but I haven’t seen it yet. I think the WHO is still recommending 14 days of quarantine.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

You know, it doesn’t help when The Delta CEO asks the CDC to cut quarantine guidelines and then they do it a week later. It’s just hard for me to take this recommendation seriously.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/delta-ceo-asks-cdc-cut-quarantine-time-breakthrough-covid-cases-2021-12-21/

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

This map is kind of worthless without bed availability. Illinois is apocalyptic, and yea we’ve had a huge spike in cases, but we still have a ton of ventilators available, and we have about 12% of our ICU beds available. COVID patients are currently using like 40% of the ICU beds. We have over 50% of ventilators available.

It’s bad, but we’re not at “out of room”, which I guess I would associate with something apocalyptic. We really need cases to slow down though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sorry cat bud. Mine is 16, so she’s getting up there too.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

So what was count 2?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Thanks. That’s going to be a lot of years.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Old men getting off on yachts is the whole problem here!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

pasaluki posted:

We're number 1! We're number 1!

And who says the US doesn’t make anything anymore? We still got it!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Abugadu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbaFGZ_6Qzs

A belated Merry Xmas, goons, and once again thank you for your contributions last year and this year. The light display part starts at about 2:00 in. You are all awesome and you should feel awesome.

Yesss. Yap update!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

He deleted it. Anyone know what it said?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Thanks! God I hope this story is true. It’s so good.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Was it this one?

https://youtu.be/vWPQBuEcVVs

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I have taken like 10 boxes to donate this week and it still seems like I have way too much poo poo. The real problem is all the poo poo my toddler got from Christmas.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

It really is bad

I think next year I need to tell my family 2 gifts max or something. He must’ve gotten like 20 presents this year. We barely gave him anything ourselves. We even had a few presents bought that we are holding back for his birthday in a few months.

For someone like me that hates lots of clutter, it’s slowly driving me insane.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Anybody got recommendations for an engaging non-fiction book?

I normally just read depressing non-fiction but I just read a non-fiction novel for the first time in forever and guess what? Turns out reading for entertainment is awesome!!!

I liked Alone on the Ice. It’s a story of a guy in 1913 surviving in Antarctica after some accidents while he is out exploring. He has to trek back to his base camp alone for days.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Stuffed pasta isn’t that bad, but getting a good filling is important. If it’s really wet, it can cause the pasta to fall apart. Need to be really good about sealing all the edges too, otherwise the filling will come out.

I used to do pirogi parties before my kid came along. I’d make like 150 pirogies for a bunch of people. I got creative with some of the fillings. Your hands get a little dry at the end because of all the flour. Hopefully in a few years I can start back up.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Nooo Betty! 99 is a great run though. Wish she could have made it to 100.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I chased after a hit and run car today but my slow rear end couldn’t read the plate. Luckily a car was behind me and caught up with them and took the plate down.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

GD_American posted:

Wife made chili and potato soup. Whole family over her to watch a movie (parents, sisters, wife, 3 nieces). Nieces are staying over night.

Best New Year’s ever

Just settled in to watch Return of the King. Wife and I both don’t have the energy to do much more after fighting with a toddler all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Samadhi posted:

TFF Chat 2022: Here's Hoping For More Dead Whites