Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
as usual, Apple is leading the way for the computer industry, showing them how good a laptop can be when you dump x86. meanwhile amazon graviton servers have been murdering intel in price/performance. it seems like Microsoft is finally serious about an arm port and VMware just released ESXi for ARM.

however, so far qualcomm and Samsung continue to suck rear end. the new neoverse cores coming from ARM are expected to be much faster than their mobile-focused cores and should provide adequate performance for real laptops, so hopefully someone can stick those in good SoC. Ampere is picking up some steam in servers, but Cavium is pretty much dead.

it’s happening! probably more on the server than on the desktop but that doesn’t make as good of a thread title. time to ARM up, bitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

get in

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
comedy RISC-V comment

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I am ready to ARM up

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

2022, year of leg on the desktop

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
it was actually 2020 sorry op

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bored Online posted:

it was actually 2020 sorry op

2020 was the year of rear end on the desktop, did you see all those zoom calls?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
BLISC - barely legal instruction set computer

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The Management posted:

Microsoft is finally serious about an arm port

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
lol if you haven't been using arm on the desktop since 87

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Stop slowing down the 3080s for this nonsense people need to experience half assed ray tracing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Management posted:

as usual, Apple is leading the way for the computer industry,

stopped reading at this point

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
lol remember risc v

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

fack you posted:

lol remember risc v

lol. I remember it because idiots around me keep trying to make it a thing.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

I just looked it up and it sounds like the ogg vorbis of architectures

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

nvidia is gonna buy arm and apply their amazing logistics chain to processors as well

sure arm is just a design specification but idk bitcoin miners or something

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

looking forwards between choosing between arm64 that lacks support for <cool new thing>, arm64 RTX data centre edition, and version 17a (with extensions M, Ma, X, and E, but not D except for the d5 subset) of RISC-V

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

There's a nugget of truth here. I doubt we'll see the rise of commercial RISC-V CPUs (beyond a few hobbyists).

With that said, the core is 100% making inroads into the ASIC market. RISC-V cores are being shipped by the millions in hard-drive controllers.

Ogg was a little better than MP3, but not better enough to displace the ecosystem of MP3 players. And the price of an Ogg encoder is the same as the price of an MP3 encoder - zero dollars. So no real reason to switch.

RISC-V is aimed at displacing ARM. It's deffo not as popular, and the ecosystem is much smaller. But ARM cores cost money to put in your ASIC, and RISC-V cores don't. If you're building enough units, the savings can be compelling.

I think the license cost for a Cortex-M0+ core, buses, etc is something like $0.10-$0.25 depending on your buying power. If you're designing a new controller chip for your widget (and you expect to sell the widget family for a few years), you could save a cool million by using a RISC-V core instead.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 1, 2021

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Poopernickel posted:

But ARM cores cost money to put in your ASIC, and RISC-V cores don't.

free cores don’t cost money. good cores designed by competent people aren’t free, whether they’re arm or riscv.

riscv will displace plenty of the lowest end arm cores. arm will probably make m0 free at some point to compete.

also this is a huge gently caress up:

DuckConference posted:

version 17a (with extensions M, Ma, X, and E, but not D except for the d5 subset) of RISC-V

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

nvidia is gonna buy arm and apply their amazing logistics chain to processors as well

sure arm is just a design specification but idk bitcoin miners or something

you realize nvidia already owns arm, right?

edit: nvm, looks like the sale didnt go through yet and there's now an investigation lol

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Poopernickel posted:

There's a nugget of truth here. I doubt we'll see the rise of commercial RISC-V CPUs (beyond a few hobbyists).

With that said, the core is 100% making inroads into the ASIC market. RISC-V cores are being shipped by the millions in hard-drive controllers.

Ogg was a little better than MP3, but not better enough to displace the ecosystem of MP3 players. And the price of an Ogg encoder is the same as the price of an MP3 encoder - zero dollars. So no real reason to switch.

RISC-V is aimed at displacing ARM. It's deffo not as popular, and the ecosystem is much smaller. But ARM cores cost money to put in your ASIC, and RISC-V cores don't. If you're building enough units, the savings can be compelling.

I think the license cost for a Cortex-M0+ core, buses, etc is something like $0.10-$0.25 depending on your buying power. If you're designing a new controller chip for your widget (and you expect to sell the widget family for a few years), you could save a cool million by using a RISC-V core instead.

It's popping off in China for SBCs and microcontrollers. ARM's as much of a ridiculous dinosaur as x86 is. People talk about it the same way people talked about MIPs and PowerPC 20 years ago (while nobody gave a poo poo about ARM.) Remember those? Remember Itanium?

At least RISC-V has the advantage of no license fee. ARM may as well just be the fotm darling for computer janitors to post about in a doctrinal war that has lost all meaning.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Poopernickel posted:

i use flac

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

echinopsis posted:

ogg vorbis? like the codec Spotify, the most popular streaming service uses?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dont Touch ME posted:

It's popping off in China for SBCs and microcontrollers. ARM's as much of a ridiculous dinosaur as x86 is. People talk about it the same way people talked about MIPs and PowerPC 20 years ago (while nobody gave a poo poo about ARM.) Remember those? Remember Itanium?

At least RISC-V has the advantage of no license fee. ARM may as well just be the fotm darling for computer janitors to post about in a doctrinal war that has lost all meaning.

source your quotes

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Captain Foo posted:

source your quotes

https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/Tech_Job/M.1603177425.A.E10.html

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dont Touch ME posted:

ARM may as well just be the fotm darling for computer janitors to post about in a doctrinal war that has lost all meaning.

arm owns 100% of the mobile phone market

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

The Management posted:

Its no wonder smartphones are dogshit :haw:

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Im sure that owning 100% of the mobile market will be the key to dethroning x86 when intel couldnt even force it to happen at their peak of being a pseudo-monopoly on the desktop

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

this, also basically all streaming devices (Roku, fire TV, smart TVs, etc)

actually pretty much all consumer electronics smarter than a microwave

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

The Management posted:

thats the easiest platform to port over since most android apps are java and most people use the google play store

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
not joking, those “beefy”(lol) apu’s in millions of ps5’s and xbone series twos are pretty much a fringe market at this point. and they’re probably propped up a little bit thanks to any dedicated gpu more powerful than a 750ti being a myth at this point.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Dont Touch ME posted:

lol youre an idiot

pram
Jun 10, 2001
arm is dead, netcraft confirms

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
what’s wrong with the arm instruction set? especially Apple implementation with all 32bit stuff removed

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Perplx posted:

thats the easiest platform to port over since most android apps are java and most people use the google play store

worked out great for android on x86 and mips. Intel implemented a full arm emulator because they couldn’t get some things ported.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Perplx posted:

what’s wrong with the arm instruction set? especially Apple implementation with all 32bit stuff removed

nothing, arm64 is the best ISA, as can be seen by it crushing desktop x86 chips.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
sounds like arm chips are very good steve has done it again

im not getting a covid vaccine until they have one with arm chips in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'