Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

poty posted:

sounds like arm chips are very good steve has done it again

im not getting a covid vaccine until they have one with arm chips in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Captain Foo posted:

you’re supposed to get a shot in the arm, not the arm in a shot

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

2025: apple makes an arm64 extension that signs and authenticates every single instruction, somehow the iphone still gets owned via the emoji keyboard

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the uk is now officially intervening in nvidia's arm acquisition

this doesn't mean for sure that they're actually going to block it, but it does seem to be a necessary step in doing so. earlier investigations could've been handwaved as just a formality but this is more than that

i for one welcome anything that denies nvidia the opportunity to gently caress more things up

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
skeptical how much their security complaints will matter since it was already foreign owned

probably do some kind of time limited jobs guarantee and call it done

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

mediaphage posted:

probably do some kind of time limited jobs guarantee and call it done

this is exactly what will happen

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

this is exactly what will happen

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
nvidia is a data center company now. they’re going to push big beefy arm cores for clouds, hpc, and edge. hopefully they leave the embedded chips alone.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

acorn :rip: machine

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i predict a cheap or free nvidia arm gpu to lock you in to all their proprietary apis

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Perplx posted:

i predict a cheap or free nvidia arm gpu to lock you in to all their proprietary apis

yeah, i don't think anything actually good will come of this. we'll see.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
what do you mean no good? it will hasten the adoption of riscv and free us from the shackles of proprietary hardware

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
cant wait for the unfettered freedom of 3d printing my own cpus

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

what do you mean no good? it will hasten the adoption of riscv and free us from the shackles of proprietary hardware

lol. and who will be designing these high end riscv cores and giving them away for free?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
the people obviously. you idiot

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The Management posted:

lol. and who will be designing these high end riscv cores and giving them away for free?

dont know yet but im doing the wiki to organize it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

the people obviously. you idiot

people can build 6502s and z80s in their garage now so...

*clarkson voice*
how hard can it be?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
i completed nandgame, i'll share my cpu design expertise on the wiki

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Dont Touch ME posted:

It's popping off in China for SBCs and microcontrollers. ARM's as much of a ridiculous dinosaur as x86 is. People talk about it the same way people talked about MIPs and PowerPC 20 years ago (while nobody gave a poo poo about ARM.) Remember those? Remember Itanium?

lol

32-bit arm was a bit of a dinosaur, particularly with the whole thumb thing and all the deprecated java extensions and so forth. 64-bit arm is the clean break x86 never had. all that cruft is gone on the only arm cpus worth using on the desktop

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Soricidus posted:

lol

32-bit arm was a bit of a dinosaur, particularly with the whole thumb thing and all the deprecated java extensions and so forth. 64-bit arm is the clean break x86 never had. all that cruft is gone on the only arm cpus worth using on the desktop

32-bit arm was perfect for what it was designed for: low power chips. thumb was great (except for the whole ITTT thing), it was a no-cost instruction compression scheme. it was hardly a dinosaur the way x86 is.

the things that made it great for low power cores became barriers to high performance core design. small, in-order cores value instruction density, complex operations, and avoiding branches. big, out-of-order cores value independent operations for dependency resolution and parallelism, and predictable branching. arm64 was essentially a clean sheet design targeting high performance cores. it is extremely well suited for this, whereas x86 remains a pile of garbage still pretending to be an accumulator architecture.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, but its a huge pile of garbage with many roads through it and massive fans to blow away the stench and big power needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

yeah, but its a huge pile of garbage with many roads through it and massive fans to blow away the stench and big power needs

turn on your monitor