Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foG8zLMWJ_Y

Happy new year, horror fans!

Everyone has gaps in their movie viewing experience. In fact, we have a long-running thread meant to motivate people to watch classics they've been putting off. But many horror fans tend to watch an ungodly amount of films every year. Dozens of bootleg tapes of italian knockoffs per month, hundreds of no-budget direct to streaming atrocities per year. So how come so many of us horror goons still haven't seen some of the most important films in the genre?

This thread is meant as a remedial course for those omitted classic. Every other day, for all of January, I will post a new classic horror film to watch. The films will be selected by their essential horror qualities and by polling the horror thread regulars on the most common missing films from the big names out there.

If you remember the 2019 version of this thread, you might remember it had a challenge format, complete with prizes, and that a new classic was assigned each day. I feel that was maybe a little intense and not really in the spirit of things. This thread isn't meant to push people to marathon these classics as some kind of endurance test, it's simply an invitation to watch some great, historically important, influential entries in a genre we love. That said, you are invited to review/discuss the films if you do end up watching them. If you do intend on treating the thread more as a personal challenge, people had fun last time coming up with thematically appropriate replacement films to watch for those who had already seen a selected film, and I may post my suggestions to that effect. You are also encouraged to make your own list of horror films you have been meaning to watch in your first post in this thread, to further help curate the selection and as a personal reminder.

We will be listing where each film is available for streaming when applicable. The fun fellows in the goon horror discord will be streaming some of the films to help the thread along, especially when it comes to certain films that are caught in legal limbo.

Now, without further ado, our first Horror Essential:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mOn4h0lgKQ

Hellraiser

Clive Barker's first foray into directing (likely motivated by how badly his work was previously adapted with Rawhead Rex) is a psychosexual body horror triumph. While everyone's familiar with Pinhead, this movie is about so much more than just the iconic cenobites, intertwining violence, horror and sexuality in a way that would make David Cronenberg proud. The effects work in this film is impressive, and it becomes astounding when you realize this was made on a mere 1 million dollar budget. For one movie to contain so many iconic horrifying visuals would be worthy of an award even if it wasn't also a thrilling story full of terrifying imagination and the birth of one of horror's most iconic villains. You owe it to yourself to see this film if you haven't.

Available for streaming on Prime video, Hoopla, the Criterion channel, and Shudder. Also available to rent on Apple TV, Google Play and Youtube.

For those of you who have seen Hellraiser, I heartily recommend Hellraiser 2: Hellbound as a substitute watch. While its story is a bit less focused and it gets a bit corny near the end, it makes up for it with vivid imagination and visuals that, in my view, surpass the original, including the mattress scene, which I consider to be one of the most grisly scenes in all of horror.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Awesome! The goopiest of beginnings.

Jezebel
Sep 6, 2004

Skal!

Hell yeah, thanks Lurd. I'm embarrassingly overdue for filling in the gaps in my horror knowledge. I'm not back at work til mid-Jan so really have no excuses. I can't really contribute to effort posts cuz I'm a moron, but I appreciate y'all who do. Hellraiser tonight it is!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The first one was a big starter to filling my very wide gaps in horror and I look forward to once again filling more gaps this year.

Even if I have way too much stuff to watch already.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Looking for suggestions for an alternative to watch, as I've seen I have seen Hellraisers 1-3. I've also seen (and would recommend to others) Baskin and Event Horizon for films in the same vein

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You could watch something else Clive Barker. Lord of Illusions, Nightbreed, Midnight Meat Train, I'm sure there's others?

Yeah, Baskin would have been my first idea of "Hellraiser like".

I guess you could just watch the other Hellraiser movies. Clearly "essential."

edit:
https://letterboxd.com/writer/clive-barker/
https://letterboxd.com/director/clive-barker/

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 2, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I guess you could just watch the other Hellraiser movies. Clearly "essential."

Never do this, even as a joke.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Very cool. I'll do my best to watch any I haven't seen.

I've seen Hellraiser many times. It's one of my favorites. Here's my (oddly book-focused) Letterboxd review:

quote:

Having now read The Hellbound Heart, I have a new-found appreciation for Hellraiser. The book works as a perfect companion to the film, and certain elements of the film that are left under-explained are now more fleshed out. The character of Frank, for example, is now more fully formed in my mind. His motivations for opening the box and his sway over Julia is left a bit ambiguous in the movie, but the book makes it all click.

I never think that a person should be required to read the book in order to enjoy the movie, but in this case the creative genius of Clive Barker that's shown in the film becomes more apparent after reading the book. So I highly recommend the read. His imagination is unlike any other horror writer/director. I'd argue his creation is the most unique and creative horror movie concept out there, even beating Craven's A Nightmare on Elm Street.

4.5/5

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've been meaning to watch Lord of Illusions

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Lurdiak posted:

Never do this, even as a joke.

Part 4 is decent. Better than part 3 imho.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Tarnop posted:

I've been meaning to watch Lord of Illusions

There are a few interesting ideas in there, but it's honestly a bit of a mess, I wouldn't recommend it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its fun, even if its basically 2 different films clumsily squeezed together. But its two films I like.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
If you’ve already seen the first one I’d recommend you watch it again because it’s great.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I spent much of last year filling in my gaps in horror essentials so I'm going to follow along with this thread and dip in and out. The first two Hellraisers are a great time.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Hellraiser rewatch down, time for first crack at Hellraiser 2

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I still feel kinda bad for the husband in Hellraiser. Like, he doesn't know his wife is unhappy, that she cheated on him with his brother, that she's actually willing to murder him and several other men just to be with Frank again. He's kind of a generic 80s dad douchebag but, I mean, he can win any afterlife bitch-and-moan contest.

Jezebel
Sep 6, 2004

Skal!

Trip report: Went into Hellraiser completely blind (except for having seen images of Pinhead around). I was worried because I haven't had good experiences with Barker- despite trying, I just hated Midnight Meat Train and Books of Blood. They felt too much like...Alice in Wonderland but horrific? Where nothing is explained or obeys logic? Literary nonsense, I think is the genre (I despised Alice in Wonderland as a kid and found it extremely upsetting; the "Pig and Pepper" chapter is some OG horror). But luckily, it turns out this movie was awesome.

The opening was pretty drat shocking- I feel like most horror films do a slow ramp up of increasing creepiness to build tension, while here it's all blood, flesh, hooks, and penis totems by 4 minutes in. This movie was tight; I'm surprised it was actually 1.5hrs because it doesn't feel nearly that long and nothing is wasted. I loved that they devoted like, a single sentence to explaining everything, and that was all that was needed. The creatures and effects were FANTASTIC, just loving phenomenal work. It reminded me a bit of watching Baskin in the 2019 Scream Stream- some people were really disturbed by its visuals but it wasn't doing it for me; turns out that this is what I wanted that movie to look like.

I'm surprised by how much I liked this. Maybe I need to revisit Midnight Meat Train; it's been a long time and I'm more familiar with horror now and more tolerant of the weirder sides. The only part of this movie I didn't like was when she ends up in the "hospital", because it felt unfinished- is she in a psych ward? Are the doctors agents of the cenobites? How does boyfriend show up? But the tunnel-monster is so cool that I can overlook it. Plus the ending was great, I always love when a final girl just starts screaming back at monsters.

My only other issue is EXTREMELY PETTY: was Julia/Claire Higgins actually extremely attractive in the eyes of the 80s? I'm honestly curious, because I found her offputtingly unattractive- which is fine and she was great and I feel like a shallow rear end in a top hat- but it was weird to me that she was supposed to be gorgeous? Was there like...a shift in the cultural aesthetic zeitgeist between then and now? Was it just movie logic? Am I just blind and an rear end? (will accept "por que no los dos" as an answer)

Final rating: disturbingly good, goodly disturbing, rad

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Maxwell Lord posted:

I still feel kinda bad for the husband in Hellraiser. Like, he doesn't know his wife is unhappy, that she cheated on him with his brother, that she's actually willing to murder him and several other men just to be with Frank again. He's kind of a generic 80s dad douchebag but, I mean, he can win any afterlife bitch-and-moan contest.

I didn't get the douchebag vibe off of Larry. Kinda bumbling and inept, yeah. When he cuts his hand, he's pretty much an about to faint wreck until Julia steps in taking charge. And obviously, he's clueless as gently caress.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hellraiser is such a great flick. It wastes no frames

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

What's the new movie, OP?

also, the discord invite link is invalid

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

ketchup vs catsup posted:

What's the new movie, OP?

also, the discord invite link is invalid

This link for the horror discord should work. https://discord.gg/9R7F63tG

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Our second horror essential is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD_EN0JVnKk

Deep Red

If Suspiria was Argento's masterpiece, this is his defining work. The quintessential Giallo, this film is replete with bizarre imagery that serves no purpose but to escalate tension beyond what's reasonable. The leadup to the violence in this film is 100 times more impactful than the violence itself, and this film often borders on a psychedelic mood piece, not least because of the amazing score by (who else?) Goblin. The late, great Daria Nicolodi is completely captivating as the love interest and costar, bringing a surprising amount of levity to what's otherwise a very grim experience. Much like Suspiria, this must be watched in the highest resolution possible to appreciate the sheer artistry and beauty packed into every frame. And do make sure to watch the 126-127 minute cut! You're being robbed of the true film if you don't.

The correct cut is available to rent on Youtube and Google Play

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 3, 2021

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Is there a follow up movie if I’ve seen this one already? Probably gonna rewatch. But if there’s extra credit I want in

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Is there a follow up movie if I’ve seen this one already? Probably gonna rewatch. But if there’s extra credit I want in

You seen Tenebrae? It's a little less taut, but still superb

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Tenebrae is my favorite Argento. So if you've Deep Red but not that I highly suggest it.

Deep Red is an excellent gallio as well.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tarnop posted:

You seen Tenebrae? It's a little less taut, but still superb

thanks, chum, I'll get that one too.

MacheteZombie posted:

Tenebrae is my favorite Argento. So if you've Deep Red but not that I highly suggest it.

Deep Red is an excellent gallio as well.

woohoo!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm running out of big Argento films to first experience. I might watch Mother of Tears.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
gonna try and catch a bunch of these since my horror canon knowledge is very thin

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm a huge Giallo fan, but somehow I've never watched Inferno. Maybe I'll do that for this one.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

There is some animal cruelty in Deep Red in case that is something you would like to be aware of in advance. It is otherwise a great film that I watched for the first time just last year

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Seriously though make sure you watch the proper cut. Especially this year that we lost Daria, gotta make sure you get the full Daria experience.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm running out of big Argento films to first experience. I might watch Mother of Tears.

I liked Mother of Tears more than I was expecting. Probably because I had my bar of expectations set at "Argento's Dracula" and it wasn't nearly as bad as that.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I haven't seen Hellraiser in years but it's stuck with me well. More recently I watched The Beyond (1981) and Black Sunday (1960) and saw elements from those.

e.g. These guys reminded me of the cenobites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSJHO6_eJMM

Jezebel posted:

The only part of this movie I didn't like was when she ends up in the "hospital", because it felt unfinished- is she in a psych ward? Are the doctors agents of the cenobites? How does boyfriend show up?

I like the part where the IV bag explodes. I thought she was in a hospital and he was a permitted visitor.

Jezebel posted:

My only other issue is EXTREMELY PETTY: was Julia/Claire Higgins actually extremely attractive in the eyes of the 80s? I'm honestly curious, because I found her offputtingly unattractive- which is fine and she was great and I feel like a shallow rear end in a top hat- but it was weird to me that she was supposed to be gorgeous? Was there like...a shift in the cultural aesthetic zeitgeist between then and now? Was it just movie logic? Am I just blind and an rear end? (will accept "por que no los dos" as an answer)

She has style but I never got the feeling that she's supposed to be a runway model or something. She's even more stylish in the sequel.

Part of the story is that Frank is a huge womanizer and that he has to take advantage of every woman no matter the time: "It's never enough."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It feels like a gross conversation (and I think she's plenty attractive) but I don't think any part of the story relies on Julia being some kind of special beauty. She's seducing men but she's clearly kind of uncomfortable with it at first and they're clearly not the hardest targets in the world. And Frank is drawn to her because he's a scumbag who uses women and wants to gently caress his brother's wife, and then needs her to live.

Jezebel
Sep 6, 2004

Skal!

STAC Goat posted:

It feels like a gross conversation (and I think she's plenty attractive) but I don't think any part of the story relies on Julia being some kind of special beauty. She's seducing men but she's clearly kind of uncomfortable with it at first and they're clearly not the hardest targets in the world. And Frank is drawn to her because he's a scumbag who uses women and wants to gently caress his brother's wife, and then needs her to live.

Yeah that's totally fair. Wait, is she in the sequel? Is the sequel worth watching?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

She is and it is. Hellraiser 2 is very solid. Just don't go past 2 because the quality falls off a cliff.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

If you remember the 2019 version of this thread, you might remember it had a challenge format, complete with prizes, and that a new classic was assigned each day. I feel that was maybe a little intense and not really in the spirit of things. This thread isn't meant to push people to marathon these classics as some kind of endurance test, it's simply an invitation to watch some great, historically important, influential entries in a genre we love.

I forgot to say that I enjoyed the last thread. I just lurked but it had a good ratio of films I'd seen/hadn't seen so I watched about one per week and liked them all:

-The 'Burbs
-Cat People
-The Haunting
-Candyman
-Bram Stoker's Dracula
-Possession

Actually I still need to see:

-Onibaba
-Maniac Cop 2

https://letterboxd.com/smitster/list/horror-thread-january-horror-essentials-2019/

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rewatched Deep Red and saw Tenebre for the first time today, and I definitely enjoyed Tenebre more.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rewatched Deep Red and saw Tenebre for the first time today, and I definitely enjoyed Tenebre more.

They're definitely very different giallo(gialli?), at least if you watched the Daria cut of Deep Red. Tenebre is much more of a straight ahead, but very intense and very effective giallo. Deep Red is more meandering and has a lighter tone in certain parts.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Today's horror essential is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tZIsNSToYI

Poltergeist

Tobe Hooper's second biggest film, often misattributed to Spielberg, paints a picture of idyllic 80s suburbia shattered by fantastical intrusions from the realm of the dead. While the social commentary might seem dated at this point, the film remains an amazing showcase of pre CGI special effects and a thoroughly imaginative take on the classic haunted house story. Almost every scene in this film is iconic and memorable and has been either parodied or ripped off by other works over time, and there's a reason for that. You owe it to yourself to watch this time capsule of a film.

Available for streaming on Crave Starz (???), available for rental on Youtube, Amazon Video, Microsoft Store, Google Play, Cineplex and Apple iTunes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The more you delve into Hooper's filmography the more you understand that the narrative about Spielberg/Poltergeist is like 90% horseshit. The 10% that's true involves the fact that yes, Spielberg was involved and was often on set. Being involved doesn't mean you directed the film, as Spielberg has proven many times over the years with his producing work. There's a difference.

A big part of the issue comes down to the fact that Hooper is "The Texas Chainsaw guy" in the minds of so many people, and so they have a hard time with the idea that he'd make something like Poltergeist. But Hooper was versatile, and I think he proved to be absolutely capable of doing something with a lighter, more Spielbergian slant to it without having to give up the reigns completely to someone else.