Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Lid posted:

just watch the G1 A Block finals

and maybe the top half of summer struggle? the bosj finals match is also very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Personally:

Nagata vs Suzuki, New Japan Cup (the Dominion rematch is also great)
Naito vs Tanahashi, G1 Climax (B Block)
Hiromu vs Ishimori, BOSJ (their Summer Struggle match is also very good too)
Ishii vs Switchblade, G1 Climax (A Block)

If you wanna laugh, Goto vs Yano in the G1

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Im saying day 13 as it was the best single show of last year across all promotions and the lowest rated match of the G1 matches was ****3/4 (White v Yujiro wasnt rated but it was also Yujiro's best match of the year)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

just watch G1 Night 13

This.

Also the Suzuki/Shingo matches, Hiromu/Despy from the BOSJ finals and The Suzuki/Nagata Grandpa Murder War.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Thanks for the suggestions, goons. Day 13 G1 seems like a good place to start.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Lid posted:

Im saying day 13 as it was the best single show of last year across all promotions and the lowest rated match of the G1 matches was ****3/4 (White v Yujiro wasnt rated but it was also Yujiro's best match of the year)

i understand, but the finals show was also very good, while simultaneously imo telling a great story between the final two matches, and also having the Okada/Ospreay match in there. Like, not as good in the ring, but better to overall understand what's going on, and still very good.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/AndrewTRich/status/1345417571122614273

I thought it was funny that they scrubbed the promo Omega cut when he won the title from youtube a while ago but this is kind of crazy. It's the best match in company history. :lol:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/AndrewTRich/status/1345417571122614273

I thought it was funny that they scrubbed the promo Omega cut when he won the title from youtube a while ago but this is kind of crazy. It's the best match in company history. :lol:
What's the deal with this? I'm going to assume they got rid of one of the most high profile matches so it would definitely be found ready for the forbidden portal to be flung open.

I'm extra glad I settled in and watched the full Okada v Omega series a while ago now.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Yeah I showed it to LL/WSAESOCKS like two months ago so this has to be really new.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Could be a music license thing from Kenny's entrance.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gumball Gumption posted:

Could be a music license thing from Kenny's entrance.

He just used Devil's Sky for that one, I'm pretty sure. The Undertale music was WK19.

Disney must have sued for his and Ibushi's Avengers parody.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

i'm off the 4th but not the 5th so i'm at least gonna get night 1 live

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Apparently White v Ibushi is gone too and Reddit seems to think that some matches might be getting shown on Japanese TV which would make sense in the build up to WK. Hopefully that's all it is and they're back soon.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, I'm also hearing that when they air matches on TV, the rights get fucky for a while. Ibushi/White was apparently gone for a bit but is back now, so that's probably what happened there. Anybody know if Omega/Okada was on TV recently?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God hurry up the 4th of January hurry the gently caress up I wanna watch Wrestle Kingdom fucccck come on commmmmme onnnnnnn!

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I did drop off the njpw wagon once Evil became champ but back in for WK i have caught up on some sweet rear end g1 though the past few days.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MJeff posted:

Yeah, I'm also hearing that when they air matches on TV, the rights get fucky for a while. Ibushi/White was apparently gone for a bit but is back now, so that's probably what happened there. Anybody know if Omega/Okada was on TV recently?

I'm honestly not sure how you'd even show Omega/Okada IV on their TV, given the match is like 80 mins long.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Cut it down like a tv edit of a movie

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Went ahead and put in for Monday and Tuesday off. gently caress it!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I have Monday off but I booked a bunch of stuff on Tuesday before I remembered that it was a WK day. Usually I could find time for puro in the afternoon but we have a new resident starting so it may have to wait til I get home. Alas!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
so i guess this is like the antithetical ethos to everyone saying that randy orton is a really good pro wrestler because of how safely he works

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

24(ish) HOURS REMAIN

https://twitter.com/kelen_59/status/1344513014628712448

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Coaaab posted:

so i guess this is like the antithetical ethos to everyone saying that randy orton is a really good pro wrestler because of how safely he works

On the other hand both Naito and Ibushi are still alive despite how their matches tend to go, so I guess they've gotta be doing something right.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I guess WK is safe but jesus the Japanese government is insane neolibs

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/01/03/national/emergency-declaration-doubts/

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I guess WK is safe but jesus the Japanese government is insane neolibs

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/01/03/national/emergency-declaration-doubts/

gently caress, selfishly i admit I was hoping what i was hearing about the probablilty of a staged rollout was correct but i'm sorry to hear they're acting on the level of the governments of our home countries

Thauros fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 3, 2021

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

guess i can post New Year's Dash info and dd it to the second post now that it looks to be occuring....

New Year's Dash is their traditional yearly show held on the day after Wrestle Kingdom. It's being held for the first Tokyo Dome City Hall, a venue in the same area as the Dome and Korakuen that's bigger and more stage like in setup than the latter. For years no wrestling shows were booked there as it's considerably more expensive to rent than Korakuen Hall but I'm guessing deals might be available for obvious reasons as TJP ran Wrestle Princess there and now New Japan has it booked.

It's always a mystery card until the show starts. In many years there's a huge angle to set up the direction of the new year like when Suzuki-gun returned from NOAH in 2017. That honestly hasn't been the case the past two years tho as both were standard Road to style cards with the admittedly huge bonus of a wonderful retirement ceremony for Liger last year. You might catch something really big happen you wouldn't want have wanted to miss out on but don't blame me if it's 6 uneventful trios matches and you would've preferred to sleep in.

NEW YEAR'S DASH
Tokyo Dome City Hall
January 6th at 4:30 AM EDT/9:30 GMT/18:30 JST

mystery card

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This year's NYD angle will be Taichi kicking Suzuki out of his faction :hai:

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Rarity posted:

This year's NYD angle will be Taichi kicking Suzuki out of his faction :hai:

Forever waiting for the inevitable rise of Taichi-gun

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hang on, small correction:

Rarity posted:

This year's NYD angle will be Miho Abe kicking Suzuki out of her faction :hai:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

You are going to be scunnered when DOUKI kicks Taichi out of DOUKIgun

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm hitting the ground running at work this week so I'm not staying up to watch but I think I'm hype even if I didn't do a great job paying attention to njpw this year.

Anyone have any can't miss matches I should catch up on from this year? Just assume I missed everything.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Anyone have any can't miss matches I should catch up on from this year? Just assume I missed everything.

Jay White vs Yujiro Takahashi from the G1 Day 13. Yuj's match of the year outside of maybe vs Minoru Suzuki (G1 Day 7)

Also maybe the finals of the NEVER 6-man tournmant or BOSJ finals if you have time, but Yuj is definitely priority 1

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm hitting the ground running at work this week so I'm not staying up to watch but I think I'm hype even if I didn't do a great job paying attention to njpw this year.

Rarity posted:

For match quality:

- Minoru Suzuki vs. Shingo Takagi, Summer Struggle
- Taichi vs. Kota Ibushi, G1 Climax Night 17
- Hiromu Takahashi vs. El Desperado, Best of Super Juniors Final

For storyline:

- Golden Aces vs. Dangerous Tekkers, Summer Struggle
- Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay, G1 Climax Night 17
- Jay White vs. Kota Ibushi, Power Struggle

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

the only thing I can really guess is a new empire member. SHO, the king of pro wrestling 2021 8^)

but was there even a thing last year? wasn't it just like... jay white and kenta are dickheads or something?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gumball Gumption posted:

Day 13 of the G1. Also any of the Suzuki/Shingo and Suzuki/Nagata matches and also Hiromu vs Despy from the BOSJ finals.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Procrastinator posted:

the only thing I can really guess is a new empire member. SHO, the king of pro wrestling 2021 8^)

but was there even a thing last year? wasn't it just like... jay white and kenta are dickheads or something?

nah aside from liger's pre announced retirement ceremony there hasn't really been a thing the past couple years as i said. if anything does happen i'm predicting bc friction after evil wins and switchblade loses. they're def going somewhere with that at some point but not exactly sure how that's gonna work tho as we just got a new heel unit. jay white face turn mid year perhaps?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 3, 2021

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
only one more day until Ibushi is winning.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Bard Maddox posted:

oh i didnt know he had a consolation match on night 2

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bard Maddox posted:

Winning what, the half time raffle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Looking forward to the all Bullet Club Junior Title match on the 5th after my boy ELP destroys that weirdo