Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I did Hell on 2m FM once. Nothing like wasting 12.5khz

fun though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Any Vancouver goons in here? I'm going to the Richmond swap meet on Saturday and want to know what to buy for my first gear.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

first data dump complete! on to the wefax

https://imgur.com/a/la1VQVY

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

cross posting from the other thread - finally got my intermediate licence through

for hams out of the uk, i get:

* more power
* all band access
* A few other things related to beacons and DF stuff

MM3IIG now becomes 2M0IIG, and I will finally get more answers from CQ calls instead of people hearing the MM3 and ignoring it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

paging jonny or other hams to the aviation thread (which is currently on page 219 so it's a sign) for some thoughts on radio altimeter filter design?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821398&pagenumber=219#post519546371

tl;dr one of the bands that 5G mobile networks are trying to use is right next to the band used by aircraft ILS radio altimeters, and there's some indication that the phone towers are going to gently caress things up because current altimeters won't effectively reject all the spurious transmissions, and the FAA is saying "we were here first" and the FCC is saying "update your hardware"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have answered the call!

What a shitshow, lol.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

After hours of reading, I think I've settled on looking for a Yaesu FT60R as my first radio. I think I want a dual band to have max versatility as my first radio, and it will be useful in the back country, as an emergency radio, and on forest service roads. I should be able to listen to these RR frequencies right? https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11127.html

Anyone got one for sale?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah it'll cover it just fine. No snark - good luck on the hunt. They're such good radios that nobody ever gets rid of them, hah.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I don't think FT-60rs are hard to come by, they have massive stocks fo them still afaik

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Yeah just buy an FT60 new. Amateur radios hold a lot of value so a used one will either be faulty and cheap or perfectly functional and $20 less the MSRP. They aren't too expensive either.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ham radio outlet has 'em for $155. Do that. yeah. I never see them go for less than that used

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Kenwood TH-72A for cad$350 including rapid charger? Is it a good deal? Used with some scuffs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah a broken one went for $200 usd, the rest went for 350-450 usd on ebay. Not bad.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Well, I negotiated the Kenwood TH-D72 + rapid charger down to CAD$300 but hosed up closing the deal by not having cash on hand and the seller ghosted me after telling me to go to an ATM and come back with cash. Oops.

So I just ordered a Yaesu FT-60R for CAD$200 to my cousin's house instead . My cousin should be bringing it up to Canada for me over Christmas! Doesn't have built in APRS or TNC, but it can do wideband scanning which I think is more practical fun than packet since I don't have any ham friends or any idea about packet activity in my area. Maybe I'll save the packet radio stuff for when I set up a base station with a computer.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
aww dang. the big fancy kenwoods are neat but you will be very happy with the yaesu. Plus you can always jam a cable into the speaker mic jack and a raspberry pi or little portable TNC and do packet with that on the side anyways.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I’m really not feeling the pull to net today 😞

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

aww dang. the big fancy kenwoods are neat but you will be very happy with the yaesu. Plus you can always jam a cable into the speaker mic jack and a raspberry pi or little portable TNC and do packet with that on the side anyways.

After reading some more, it looks like the setup I want to do for packet is:

Radio -> audio interface with PTT control -> computer (headless Raspberry Pi or laptop running Direwolf)

In fact it looks like I can actually just go radio -> computer running Direwolf with VOX control, but the signals won't be as clean?

So in the end I don't even need a built in TNC?

Anyways, in the end it looks like the TH-D72 seller waited around for me in the parking lot but gave up. He emailed me and said it's still for sale. I don't really want it anymore now that I have another radio on the way and a path towards a packet radio setup. Is CAD$300 a smoking hot can't pass up deal where I should just get it "in case" or can I just let it go to the next user? I am interested in its full duplex capability but I don't have an immediate plan to use it right now.

$300 is a lot to spend on something I'm not using so my gut is to let it go but I don't like passing up hot deals.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 28, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Honestly, $235 USD really really is an amazing deal. You could probably turn that thing right around for 500 cad. Not like i'm guaranteeing it, but radios are extremely expensive and I don't think that fella's watching the market.

--

I suggest using PTT control with these setups; vox will get the first part of your packet burst cut off. with a Pi it's really easy - one transistor and one resistor hanging off a GPIO pin for isolation, and you've got a nice solid PTT trigger line.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Honestly, $235 USD really really is an amazing deal. You could probably turn that thing right around for 500 cad. Not like i'm guaranteeing it, but radios are extremely expensive and I don't think that fella's watching the market.

--

I suggest using PTT control with these setups; vox will get the first part of your packet burst cut off. with a Pi it's really easy - one transistor and one resistor hanging off a GPIO pin for isolation, and you've got a nice solid PTT trigger line.

So in the last 12 hours I have impulse bought $500 on radios. The guy threw in two microphones for the Kenwood as well. I think I got a good deal.

I'm going to play with this Kenwood until my Yaesu arrives and then decide which one I want to keep.

First thing is to try to get onto Winlink.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
When it rains, it pours. Glad you were able to snipe it.

the ft60 is the yospos approved Apocalypse Radio. I don't have one myself, but we have several yoshams with them, and one with cold spare backups in storage.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
TH-D72 is an extremely good radio for working amsats.

There's an APRS digipeater on the ISS and at least one cubesat with one as well, so if you get the right antenna (I recommend an Arrow since they break down really nicely) and time it right, you can send your friend an SMS that says "I will never log off" that's bounced off of 2 satellites

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

id love a TH-D72 but they're crazy expensive. msrp is high, and then you're looking at paying over that for a used one.

ham radio market is insane these days

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also i might be confusing it for the d74

e: looks like the 74 isn't full duplex so i had the right one i guess

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if i ever find a working d72 for <= $300, id buy it so freakin fast

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
stupid, stupid tricks

webcam aimed at 9700 + stereo USB audio feed -> OBS -> RTMP server on my linux box -> VLC on my apple tv.

42" ham radio! 2m is panned left, 70cm is panned right.

Now i can keep an ear on the repeaters without cranking the radios to whole-house level.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

oh hai

No SSTV tomorrow now due to EVA

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thehustler posted:

oh hai

gently caress tokyo-3 better drop the buildings into bunker mode

Mantle
May 15, 2004

thehustler posted:

oh hai

Great quality, what is your setup? Looks like the cut off the window where they were going to be flying over my city.

I was planning to just go to the roof with my HT and rubber duck antenna and play squwaks into my phone to decode cause that's all I have. Is it doable for next time?

Also what is EVA in this context?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

ah, a spacewalk

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

setup was a laptop with SDRPlay RSP1A SDR, then a V Dipole in 120 degree angle shape, it’s like a horizontal dipole for around 2M band and below but then the arms bent forward a bit

there’s a picture of the setup here, I can be up and running in 5 mins at a push: https://twitter.com/markpentler/status/1466082654588186634?s=21

Mantle
May 15, 2004

thehustler posted:

setup was a laptop with SDRPlay RSP1A SDR, then a V Dipole in 120 degree angle shape, it’s like a horizontal dipole for around 2M band and below but then the arms bent forward a bit

there’s a picture of the setup here, I can be up and running in 5 mins at a push: https://twitter.com/markpentler/status/1466082654588186634?s=21

So if I can use a dipole, the antenna that comes with the RTL-SDR will work too? I just need to go upstairs at the right time?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Mantle posted:

So if I can use a dipole, the antenna that comes with the RTL-SDR will work too? I just need to go upstairs at the right time?

possibly! i am not sure what the length of the arms is though, they may not be enough for 145.8 MHz

just need to arrange them parallel to the ground (so horizontal orientation) with the angle. even if the length is not perfect the ISS signal is a monster 25W so it’ll be okay. even a rubber duck on a HT works, but this kind of setup will give more consistent results.

sadly though the experiment is over now so you will have to wait for the next one :(

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Nooooooo I forgot about this!

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I really wish this guy would share the plans for the water-cooled 1.2kw amp based around a single solid-state transistor that you can buy off of DigiKey for <$200 and like $50 of copper stock, because this looks extremely sickkkkk
https://www.qrz.com/db/wa3o

EDIT
oh drat, you actually can get the kits https://www.w6pql.com/parts_i_can_provide.htm
Time to myself a solid-state maximum-legal amp for <$1k.

Jimmy Carter fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 2, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i was about to suggest w6pql, he was very responsive to some questions i emailed and the prices are good.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Anyone doing ham stuff this weekend and interested in helping a noob? I've been trying to do packet anything for a few days but I can't send an APRS beacon / message or connect to Winlink (MacOS). I was able to receive an APRS beacon though and connect to Winlink via telnet to get stuck at the password prompt.

Anyone want to spend a few hours helping me out Saturday night PST?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
drat, sorry i missed that! I don't know anything about Winlink (its haraam to me) but i can maybe help with the APRS side.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

When should I start getting concerned about buying batteries for a discontinued HT? The TH-D72 was discontinued recently in 2020 so there are still 3rd party batteries around (USD$50 - $100 seems kind of expensive) but how long should I expect that to be the case? I don't really want to end up having this HT in 2030 if the battery is shot and there's no viable replacement like HTs in the 1990s are now.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Never. batteriesamerica.com still sells new manufacture packs for icom HT's dating back to like 1981. Good prices and quality, too.

If you're super paranoid get AA holder packs for all of them and just run AA nimh's. they'll run an HT for like a day and a half and are easy to source

I think people are fuckin' around with 3d printed 18650 packs for a lot of radios now too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

i just made this over the last few days. tape measure 2/70. 5dBi gain, no reflector, total cost around £5. and i can't test it until thursday morning :(

hopefully good for sota but mostly i want to finally try hitting an fm sat with this. in SPACE

7 watts in from the handheld, minus losses and bad tuning, i should get around 20W out? it's around 1.2 on 70cm and around 1.5-2 on 2m depending on how it flexes. i think i can trim it down more but i am so excited about finally making one for 2m

edit: yes it is held together with sticky tape