Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Is this a good thread if I'm an absolute beginner? There used to be a megathread in some other forum but I can't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

net work error posted:

Is this a good thread if I'm an absolute beginner? There used to be a megathread in some other forum but I can't find it.

yes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep no question is too basic. this a safe area to ask whatever

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao its impossible to know less about this than me. i am the epitome of nerd with a general ticket that knows precisely jack and poo poo

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I know just enough about ham to score a 32/35 on the tech test I took last night lol. I'm just waiting on a callsign so that I can share my ignorance with anyone in repeater range.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

yep no question is too basic. this a safe area to ask whatever

So if I'm starting from absolute zero what are the goon recommended resources? Alternatively if you have a link to the old thread I can checkout the links from there as well.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
listening is always the first key. i still recommend the rtl sdr sticks for somebody with literally zero gear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011HVUEME/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A37V0QGFC9C912&psc=1

hamexam.org is a good practice test site.

other'n that, it's most helpful to just ask - what is your environment, and what are you interested in? Some things like operating on HF ("shortwave") from a 9th floor apartment building can be difficult. An increasing number of (mostly younger) hams have taken to portable operation and will go throw a wire up in a tree in the park for the afternoon.

further clarification that when i talk about 'young hams' im talking about any under 55.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm probably not too hampered in terms of environment.

As far as goals, for now I would probably just listen and maybe learn enough to be of some help in a disaster scenario like after a hurricane or something. Your post about the baofeng's in another thread made me realize I don't know a thing about radio and it seems like a handy thing to be familiar with.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I live in a 14 story apartment building on the 8th floor and I don't have roof access. I do have a balcony, it is about 1.5m by 4m.

I was wondering what kind of antenna setups would be useful. Maybe something that I can put horizontally along the length of my balcony.

I have various RTL sticks, a LimeSDR mini, an HF upconverter, some 2m and 70cm portable gear (and a couple of baofengs :v)

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

I upgraded my license to general class during covid and ended up enjoying the arrl license material.

I can deff appreciate that it teaches you stuff thats current like ft8 operating procedures and then core knowledge stuff is helpful for troubleshooting which youll probably do almost immediately while setting up a station

also I live in the city proper and have managed to string up a stealthy 40meter monoband antenna and have had good luck with digital modes. i have an s5-s9 noise floor so if it weren’t for digi modes my enjoyment of the hobby would much rougher

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my father in law (ex now I suppose) must be a ham man. he worked for tait for like a thousand years. they wanted to make him redundant at some stage but his redundancy was going to cost too much so they just kept him on lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

aol keyword party
Sep 27, 2005

you can find a pleasure of shooting prolific amounts of pictures,
this might be a stupid question but how much in a 'day to day' sense is all the electronics related stuff? learning about ohms and poo poo is great and interesting and good for me but i'm having a ton of trouble wrapping my head around that part of the exam study guide i got (canada) and it's stressing me out kinda.

i'm moving in a couple weeks and i'm excited to set up my rtl-sdr again in an environment where i have more control, being downtown in a 10th floor condo was cool but stressful kinda

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Ideally if you want to use one of the rtl sdr "v3" sticks (which have built in shortwave functionality) on lower frequencies, you'd put a box that is a combo antenna matcher and attenuator in front of it, because it has no gain controls down on AM/shortwave. everything is full throttle. and as a result, since AM broadcast signals are like 10000x stronger than weak shortwave ones, the former just overloads and you hear local nazi sports talk radio every 10khz. They do very well when you have a preselector or attenuator ahead of them, between the SDR and the antenna.

i've been thinking about this a little bit. do you get the repeating signals because the input is so big that it's clipped (and if it's clipped you obviously just lose any small signal on top of it)? if that's the case i get why you'd get higher frequencies than the fundamental since you've got some kind of square wave but how do you end up with lower frequencies?

edit: ok nevermind, i was confused. i was trying to understand the image i posted earlier but i think that just has to do with stereo FM radio broadcasting and no weird extra harmonic poo poo.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 14, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
When you get into SDR land, the old "sum/difference" and "harmonics" rules no longer apply. Its basically 'how does an overly strong AM broadcast signal gently caress up the ADC on a cheap SDR'

Calvinball, really. But running a highpass filter that nukes everything below 1.7, 1.8 MHz cleans up any SDR stick

(depending on where you are, you really don't care about anything below the 540KHz bottom of the AM band. You can tune in to some beeps for non-directional aircraft beacons, and if you're in Europe you can listen to the longwave broadcast band, but those are the sole exceptions)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i finally ordered myself a nanovna. i'm excited because it'll let me try out weird antennas to see what's possible without actually owning an hf transceiver

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Eeyo posted:

edit: ok nevermind, i was confused. i was trying to understand the image i posted earlier but i think that just has to do with stereo FM radio broadcasting and no weird extra harmonic poo poo.

Are you talking about the stripes above and below the main FM channel? That's digital HD radio carefully tucked into the guard bands of the original FM radio standard.

The harmonics will show up at multiples of the fundamental frequency, and because it's multiplied its bandwidth is twice as wide each time it shows up. So your FM station at 100.3MHz if you were getting some clipping on the front-end would show up again at 200.6MHz but 20kHz wide instead of 10.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

i finally ordered myself a nanovna. i'm excited because it'll let me try out weird antennas to see what's possible without actually owning an hf transceiver

i have spent a surprising amount of time just looking at the impedance vs frequency of lengths of bent wire-- would recommend.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Stack Machine posted:

Are you talking about the stripes above and below the main FM channel? That's digital HD radio carefully tucked into the guard bands of the original FM radio standard.

The harmonics will show up at multiples of the fundamental frequency, and because it's multiplied its bandwidth is twice as wide each time it shows up. So your FM station at 100.3MHz if you were getting some clipping on the front-end would show up again at 200.6MHz but 20kHz wide instead of 10.

no i mean when there was no audio transmitted i could see several distinct frequency components that were evenly spaced by ~20kHz. i gather that's the 19kHz stereo pilot tone, but i'm picking up copies at 2*19, 3*19, etc.

i was expecting there to just be the carrier frequency when the transmission was silent and was puzzled why i saw so many of them.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
oh gotchya. yeah that pilot tone is modulated with FM too so it's not going to look like just a single line. as to why it looks like a group of lines instead of a blur, :shrug:. e: you know what ignore that. (e2: holy poo poo my ignorance of how subcarriers work keeps surprising me) the harmonics are going to be out loving up other bands though.

Stack Machine fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 14, 2021

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
so I cranked up the LNA gain until the IF stage started clipping to get a screenshot of the second harmonic of an FM station. It wraps around to a lower frequency in this case because of nyquist, but if it was clipping on the input side it would be up at 210MHz instead. Fortunately I don't have any stations close enough to clip at the LNA input:

2 things this illustrates: the second harmonic looks like a weaker double-width copy and (2) RTL-SDR dongles will happily let you turn up the LNA gain until signals that aren't really there start to show up.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
all of this is very interesting and intriguing but at the end of the day I have to ask myself.: do I really want to talk to other dudes on the radio and I just don’t know. which is a shame because the idea of setting up some kind of neighbourhood beacon of radio waves is somewhat appealing

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

an RTL-SDR kit that's $40 USD in the states is $120 CAD in the great white north, *gently caress*

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol i just read about the zimbabwean dollar and in 2009 thatd be worth about 1 trillion zimbabwe dollars

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

an RTL-SDR kit that's $40 USD in the states is $120 CAD in the great white north, *gently caress*

:canada:

apparently the 3080 graphics cards that are about $800 ($1200 scalped) in the USA are going for as much as $3000 CAD up there. lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my 1080 is good enough for now and im gonna wait for the 3080ti whcih will probably be like q2/q3 this year. prices are insane all over.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

net work error posted:

I'm probably not too hampered in terms of environment.

As far as goals, for now I would probably just listen and maybe learn enough to be of some help in a disaster scenario like after a hurricane or something. Your post about the baofeng's in another thread made me realize I don't know a thing about radio and it seems like a handy thing to be familiar with.

same.

just picked up one of those rtl sdr kits. there's no time like pandemic time.

happy radio journeying, fellow beginner.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

listening is always the first key. i still recommend the rtl sdr sticks for somebody with literally zero gear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011HVUEME/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A37V0QGFC9C912&psc=1

hamexam.org is a good practice test site.

other'n that, it's most helpful to just ask - what is your environment, and what are you interested in? Some things like operating on HF ("shortwave") from a 9th floor apartment building can be difficult. An increasing number of (mostly younger) hams have taken to portable operation and will go throw a wire up in a tree in the park for the afternoon.

further clarification that when i talk about 'young hams' im talking about any under 55.

I just got this SDR stick! What's a good app to install and just gently caress around with to listen to whatever I can?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh hell yeah

i use SDRSharp on windows and gqrx on mac. And i guess technically OpenWebRX for linux - though that's a web based server.

(it's very cool)

Follow the driver instructions carefully. there's a little hackin' to be done before it'll show up.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've spent like two days getting my LimeSDR Mini to play nice on my raspberry pi 4 with ubuntu 20.04. Now I have SoapySDR working, srsLTE working, gnuradio 3.8, osmocom, gr-gsm, etc.

Next step is writing my own SIM cards so I can do 2G-3G-4G MitM on IoT devices that have their own GSM connection.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The LimeSDR mini seemed like a good buy at the time and it's a powerfui beast. But it is VERY finicky.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

oh hell yeah

i use SDRSharp on windows and gqrx on mac. And i guess technically OpenWebRX for linux - though that's a web based server.

(it's very cool)

Follow the driver instructions carefully. there's a little hackin' to be done before it'll show up.

I set up SDRSharp, it wasn't too bad. Listening to local CB radio now and no idea what's going on but I like it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

net work error posted:

Listening to local CB radio now and no idea what's going on but I like it.

basically me for the past 29 years

Suspecting you aren't in the US? Is this UHF CB down in aus or something?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

basically me for the past 29 years

Suspecting you aren't in the US? Is this UHF CB down in aus or something?

No I'm in the US. I just looked up one of the tutorials on the SDR site and it gave me the frequency range for CB and it also shows it as that in SDRSharp. 26.965-27.115 MHz?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no thats really cool. cb is often very quiet. glad you could pick some up.

27.185 is ch19 and the most popular freq

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I live in a 14 story apartment building on the 8th floor and I don't have roof access. I do have a balcony, it is about 1.5m by 4m.

I was wondering what kind of antenna setups would be useful. Maybe something that I can put horizontally along the length of my balcony.

I have various RTL sticks, a LimeSDR mini, an HF upconverter, some 2m and 70cm portable gear (and a couple of baofengs :v)

Would still appreciate guidance on this.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 102 days!
what is the rudest frequency, like the one with the real freaks on it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

spankmeister posted:

Would still appreciate guidance on this.

for HF i'm still enjoying the MLA-30+ loop. you'll need a stick or something to put it on, but it will likely do well from MW broadcast all the way up through 20, 25 MHz. bout fifty bucks USD, worth it imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

croup coughfield posted:

what is the rudest frequency, like the one with the real freaks on it

.435 repeater in southern California
https://m.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14747/web