Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

new sats: https://mailman.amsat.org/hyperkitty/list/amsat-bb@amsat.org/thread/UYTSWHRNVO3OREOQMUI62N7T2N3AWAKJ/

quote:

JAXA announced four CubeSats deploy from ISS at 6th Oct with J-SSOD.
The satellites are Binar-1, Maya-3, Maya-4 and CUAVA-1. All the
satellites operate on amateur band.

The deployment sked is followings.
#1 0850-0940z Binar-1, Maya-3, Maya-4
#2 1030-1100z CUAVA-1

The live will be on YouTube JAXA channel.

Binar-1
1U CubeSat
Australia
downlink
437.292MHz, 435.810MHz 19k2 GMSK
uplink
435.810MHz
http://www.amsatuk.me.uk/iaru/finished_detail.php?serialnum=730
https://www.binarspace.com/

Maya-3/4 -part of the BIRDS Project
1U CubeSat
Philippines
downink
145.825MHz APRS
437.375MHz CW, 4k8 GMSK
http://www.amsatuk.me.uk/iaru/finished_detail.php?serialnum=711
http://www.amsatuk.me.uk/iaru/finished_detail.php?serialnum=712
https://stamina4space.upd.edu.ph/upcoming-satellites/maya-3and4/

CUAVA-1
3U CubeSat
Australia
downlink
437.075MHz 9k6 GMSK
2440.000MHz, 5840.000MHz, 76.750GHz high speed
uplink
145.875MHz, 2404.000MHz, 5660.000MHz, 76.750MHz
http://www.amsatuk.me.uk/iaru/finished_detail.php?serialnum=671
https://www.cuava.com.au/projects/cuava-1/

Happy chasing!

Masa JN1GKZ Tokyo Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

with aviation radios, when two people try to transmit at the same time you hear a distinctive kind of interference. sometimes it sounds like a high-pitched squeal or beep, but it can also be a warbling noise or a rapid series of pulses.

you can hear one type here at 1:35:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTPnGMxdlPo&t=95s

I assume you get it on ham radios too. what causes this? like from a physical or mathematical standpoint? my best guess is that we're hearing the beat frequency created by two radios that are just a teeny bit out of tune, like one is transmitting at 118 200 000 Hz and the other is at 118 200 005 Hz and that's why we hear a 5 Hz warbling -- but i don't know if the electronics would allow that sort of thing. does that make sense?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 11, 2021

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Your explanation makes perfect sense for AM but AM phone isn't super popular in ham these days and I've never heard beating like that, but I've only ever done FM or SSB.

E: like check out this plot if a(t) is a 1MHz sine wave and b(t) is 1.001MHz. You can see a clear 1kHz beat between them at the receiver if it's picking up any linear combination of these 2 signals.

This won't happen in SSB because in SSB there is no carrier to beat (and you'll just get the two audio signals superimposed maybe with a little pitch shift). I have no idea what happens in FM, so it might be possible but it seems like I'd've heard this when two folks key up on the repeater input at the same time by now if it does beat, and I never have.

Stack Machine fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 11, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah thats carriers smashing. you dont hear it when you're tuned to say, AM broadcast radio, because those transmitters all have super accurate oscillators so there's no heterodyning. (and yes there is a homodyne)

anyways its more common in aviation radios because those arent gonna be gps locked oscillators or anything so there's a good chance one plane's radio is gonna be a kilohertz off or whatever.. when there are several hams on the AM voice frequencies (we set 10-20 khz aside in most of the shortwave bands for the AM folks - their audio sounds great and they are running enormous transmitters full of sizzling tubes usually) sometimes they'll transmit over one another accidentally and you'll hear the difference freq as there is generally no such thing as 'channels' in ham radio. put the dial where you want and transmit. usually people use even khz numbers but not always.

VHF and UHF ham stuff as well as all analog modulation public service poo poo is all frequency modulated. That works differently with multiple signals, with a phenomenon called "capture effect". if there's a weak signal and a stronger one keys up, you'll only hear the stronger one. If they're roughly equal strength, you'll hear both signals as they fight it out in your receiver and it's super distorted.

AM does not suffer from capture effect. That's why your aviation radios are amplitude modulated! You can basically DoS an FM receiver by keying up a strong dead (no audio) carrier. With AM, you could be transmitting a million watt dead carrier signal and if another AM transmitter starts talking, the receiver will still hear them. it's an air safety thing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

neat! i remember reading that part about FM radios blocking each other in the FAA manuals, yeah. you often have multiple stations not that far apart operating on the same frequency, and if it were FM the stronger signals could completely wipe out your attempt to listen to the weaker station. for instance i regularly pick up calls meant for watsonville when i'm tuned in to half moon bay, with about 50 miles between those airports.

also this is why aviation hasn't gone to digital radios apparently. a human can sometimes pick out some key words through the noise where a digital signal would just suddenly crap out. it's considered safer that way.

they never explained why it happens, though. how does capture effect work on an electronic level?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

maybe different in the real world, but back in school we used a phase locked loop to build an FM demodulator. it would lock on to the carrier frequency and the feedback signal that adjusted the PLL frequency higher or lower to track the modulation was tapped off as the recovered audio signal. the PLL characteristics dictate which signal the receiver prefers. the low pass filter in the PLL causes it to prefer small adjustments, continuing tracking the current signal and ignoring a big change to track an interfering signal.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
exactly. new radios do that in code but same idea

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this is your periodic reminder that there are 2-3 goon nets on the Brandmeister DMR network a week. I attend most of them and they are actually a really good time. You can chat about radios or just whatever's going on.

If there is a brandmeister DMR repeater in your area with a second timeslot that allows you to connect to whatever you want, you just need a DMR radio (usually a handheld) that can hit it.

If there isn't, you will also need a DMR 'hotspot' (this is a raspberry pi zero with a tiny little radio stapled to it and put in a box with a little OLED display). Then you run that in your house and connect it to wifi and it'll let you listen to and talk on any DMR talkgroup in the world.

the first approach is more 'Real Radio' but who gives a gently caress. Hotspots are super flexible and fun and you basically have your own tiny repeater. I, of course, an am rear end in a top hat, and have mine hooked to a good outdoor antenna through LMR coax, and during a test walk around my neighborhood determined that I can get almost a mile radius from it. not bad for 10 milliwatts

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
thanks for reminding me to check my hotspot range! and for the great effort post on the nets - I sometimes am very lazy with them and assume more knowledge. very naughty of me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's all good, i forget too haha

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1449417188121612290

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Heeyyyyyy I got that one in Tennessee! I left my SSTV receiver going while I was out running errands saw that, then wondered if it was a SAARS Goon.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i've only got one contact today but i'm hittin a lot of receivers well, it seems

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

:siren: the next net is *today* at 7pm U.K. time!

I am solidly sticking with this Sunday slot now for a weekly thing since I can never make the late ones - we still need some more Europeans involved though. I know you’re out there and I want to make our side of the pond have just as strong a community as the guys here do in the US

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm so sorry! i slept in heh. Time Zones!

anyways I did a fair bit of hamming today, dialed in a few more SSTV templates and had a nice QSO with a fella with extreme design skillz. always a joy to see a fellow dork on the air versus yet another old man posting bikini girls

Then i had a nice 30 minute PSK31 ragchew with a fella out of Tennessee - talked motorcycles and such.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

c radio s:

finally spent some time loving with the ssd1306 library to get my lil display working. turns out the big thing was setting Sequential: true. I think, maybe false. whatever the opposite of all the examples was

anyway now i display multiple pages on a cadence and it owns. the full project is back on track! now i just need to set up a rotary encoder to physically change channels. i'm also considering some other physical controls, a bigger display, etc but well see - first the encoder

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

are you using the full library or the cutdown ones? i got ssd1306ascii going for my CW/WSPR beacon and it’s really nice

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

its this golang library. the idea is a webui that controls pi_fm_rds on a pi zero. id like to eventually have a nice little box that integrates unobtrusively(-ish) with my vintage radios and rebroadcasts somafm (and other stuff) to them

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

so one of the radios i broadcast to is a game gear with a tv tuner. does anybody know what kind of software id need to broadcast TV signals? iirc the normal amateur tv bands don't cover broadcast channels, but i'm doing a part 15 thing not a ham band thing. i'm mostly just looking for what software to use to put ds9 into a tv (or game gear) with an analogue antenna - the tv equivalent of pi_fm_rds

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's straight up NTSC. I don't think there's a code-only project to do that out there, but if you had an old pi with the yellow RCA jack you could get a $10 RF modulator, build a simple antenna for it and have your own tiny station on channel 3 or 4

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh wow. dumb question, but im not quite seeing how the transmission work to get across the air. seems like an output that is expecting to direct connect to input wouldn't put out enough power to radiate. am i horribly misunderstanding something (almost certainly yes)?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh i just found thison aliexpress. that oughta just let normal "play a video over video out" poo poo work

it'd be cooler to figure it out with just the modulator tho

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, my theory is the modulators basically probably poo poo out a milliwatt or so, not much at all, but it's the exact same signal that your local TV NEWS 4 would broadcast back in the day. You could make a simple dipole antenna (about 4 feet per side), string that up, and probably get 50 feet if not more of range.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

gently caress yeah that's perfect! i'll give it a shot and if i can't figure it out i'll hit up aliexpress

thanks man!

SNOTEL HAMWAN WINS AGAIN

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Achmed Jones posted:

gently caress yeah that's perfect! i'll give it a shot and if i can't figure it out i'll hit up aliexpress

thanks man!

SNOTEL HAMWAN WINS AGAIN

Just tx some Trek

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mycomancy posted:

Just tx some Trek

i mean i originally watched ds9 on air on my brother's 19" tv and...yeah

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

important things to transmit:

* ds9
* shaw bros
* godzilla
* probably farscape or smth but once i have trek and kung fi i'm p happy

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

so im lookin on amazon for rf modulators and lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Achmed Jones posted:

so im lookin on amazon for rf modulators and lol

:yosnice:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ok so i'm about to move and buy an ic-7300 and a fat bioenno lifepo battery (as opposed to a power supply). i'm gonna obviously gently caress around with building antennas, but i also want to have a nice multi band HF permanently mounted on the roof. i would expect either a fan dipole or a vertical. no HOA, but i'm also not looking to put a big mast up or to break my neck on the ladder

i just want something easy that'll work well. i'd rather not spend an arm and a leg but i'm ok paying for quality.

any recommendations?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
were it me i'd buy a hustler 4btv and have a roof guy install a nice mount for it. the tricky thing is that it'd need some radials to work properly but you can run those along various eave lines or tuck them under shingles. Or even run them on the underside of the roof inside the attic.

<200 bucks, 21 feet tall, gets you going on 40, 20, 15 and 10m.

The thing is....it's a trapped vertical. So install would consist of adjusting the traps and testing and there'd be a fair amount of put-it-up-measure-the-swr-take-it-down-and-move-a-clamp-an-inch. But after that's done, it's good for a long time.

very proven design, iirc they were first sold in the early 70s and have been unchanged since then.

e: to clarify...i recommend hiring somebody to get a roof tripod installed just to keep everything clean and watertight. i know how to run 2x10 braces on the underside of the roof and bolt it all together and pour the tar to seal, but it's a pain in the rear end

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

awesome, thank you! that also helps clarify some questions i have/had around "how the gently caress do i attach this to the roof without messing up my chimney"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah do not use chimney mounts. chimneys were usually built for static vertical load, adding some lateral wind load can result in a very sad, expensive month after a wind gust

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Achmed Jones posted:

awesome, thank you! that also helps clarify some questions i have/had around "how the gently caress do i attach this to the roof without messing up my chimney"

my neighborhood, the only one in Copenhagen filled with hams, is any indication you build a huge steel structure next to your house to put your antenna on

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

rip to our silent key may he post in hell

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
grateful that we found this idiot hideout so we could all play beep boops and deedles with magic waves

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

grateful that we found this idiot hideout so we could all play beep boops and deedles with magic waves

:yeah:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

speaking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laYpGB1pWAc

traveling wave tubes are wack

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

champagne posting posted:

my neighborhood, the only one in Copenhagen filled with hams, is any indication you build a huge steel structure next to your house to put your antenna on

in the US there's an FCC rule that you're allowed to build whatever tower you want on your own property for the purposes of amateur radio, and you get to ignore local regulations to the contrary.

every few years ARRL tries to get Congress pass a bill that allows people to also ignore HOA regs but it never goes anywhere

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jimmy Carter posted:

in the US there's an FCC rule that you're allowed to build whatever tower you want on your own property for the purposes of amateur radio, and you get to ignore local regulations to the contrary.

haha, that is actually awesome. i am not sure why the us is as good as it is (was) at federal regulation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jimmy Carter posted:

every few years ARRL tries to get Congress pass a bill that allows people to also ignore HOA regs but it never goes anywhere

Does federal law not supersede your local hoa?