Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's because radio folks like to ham it up on the airwaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I live in a 14 story apartment building on the 8th floor and I don't have roof access. I do have a balcony, it is about 1.5m by 4m.

I was wondering what kind of antenna setups would be useful. Maybe something that I can put horizontally along the length of my balcony.

I have various RTL sticks, a LimeSDR mini, an HF upconverter, some 2m and 70cm portable gear (and a couple of baofengs :v)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've spent like two days getting my LimeSDR Mini to play nice on my raspberry pi 4 with ubuntu 20.04. Now I have SoapySDR working, srsLTE working, gnuradio 3.8, osmocom, gr-gsm, etc.

Next step is writing my own SIM cards so I can do 2G-3G-4G MitM on IoT devices that have their own GSM connection.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The LimeSDR mini seemed like a good buy at the time and it's a powerfui beast. But it is VERY finicky.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I live in a 14 story apartment building on the 8th floor and I don't have roof access. I do have a balcony, it is about 1.5m by 4m.

I was wondering what kind of antenna setups would be useful. Maybe something that I can put horizontally along the length of my balcony.

I have various RTL sticks, a LimeSDR mini, an HF upconverter, some 2m and 70cm portable gear (and a couple of baofengs :v)

Would still appreciate guidance on this.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm sure those interfaces all make perfect sense if you were huffing lead fumes in the 70's

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Been playing around with my LimeSDR mini and OsmoBTS, after many failed tries of getting any kind of BTS to run on a raspberry Pi 4.

Behold!

(I'm 001 01)

Protip: getting YateBTS to compile on a raspberry Pi isn't exactly trivial but when you finally do get it to work, it still doesn't work because even though they say they support UHD it only works with a BladeRF as far as I can tell.

The OsmoCom GSM stack has packages available for ubuntu and debian. I ended up installing the debian 10 packages on ubuntu 20.04 because the ubuntu repo doesn't have ARM packages.

(Went with ubuntu in the first place because of availability of LimeSDR packages, wasn't so successful before on Raspbian)

OsmoBTS is great but you need to configure and run all the parts of the GSM stack as a separate daemon, which ends up being like 12 different things. Still working on that.

I've also gotten srsLTE to work for 4G but haven't been able to get my phone to see the network yet. Possibly due to frequency stability of the LimeSDR, perhaps due to my writable SIMs not being good.

We'll see.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I mean I'm over here setting up GSM towers illegally and I'm not too concerned about it tbh. I would be surprised if the signal even makes it out of my living room.

Jonny once I figure all this poo poo out I got you covered for cell service on rancho 290

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jimmy Carter posted:

yo does that setup work with CBRS? I've got a hankering to set up my own cellphone network and dual-sim my way to glory

I suppose the base station could work on any frequency but I don't think there are any handsets that can do that?

Project update: managed to get the phone registered to the base station and sent an SMS!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

aeflux posted:

i bought one of these HackRF units about two years ago after reading a bunch about the guy who made it and some of the videos he made. the maths go whoosh over my head though
https://cdn.sparkfun.com//assets/parts/9/9/5/3/13001-01.jpg

i toyed around picking up the FM band and was trying to find the ems channels to listen into but i just don't know enough about it. the waterfall graph is super pretty to watch though

are there other resources that any of you know to start messing around with it more
and i guess my other question is could i use something like this for like a home automation thing? maybe send signals to devices that use RF?

There's many, many resources but these is a good place to start:

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/
https://www.sigidwiki.com/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

PSA: .radio domains are 25 euros a year if you're registering your callsign. There are a few other ways to get the ~90% discount, but this is the one I care about

You need to go through register.radio to get the discount - all the other registrars i checked like Gandi only sell for the full-price 200-something euros/year.

register.radio makes you fill in your contact info for the various WHOIS contacts, but don't expose that information after registering - I emailed to ask because I didn't see a whois privacy thing during checkout.

That's standard now because of the GDPR.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

well, i'm gonna try it, but while i've done SMD before it's way easier in my experience to solder than ti unsolder this kinda stuff.

that's funny beacause if I'm not careful doing smd work I usually blow around half the resistors and capacitors around the chip I'm trying to solder :v:

glad it worked out for you!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

thehustler posted:

hey guys

GUYS

pretty clouds

neat

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

maybe if you're into creating ambient techno

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

my RTL-SDR V.3 and antenna showed up today so now I've got the VHF antenna next to the window and I'm skipping through various bands trying to find interesting stuff. found my first weird thing, a station at 169.440 MHz that was sending out regular, short pulses like so:

then it stopped for a bit before sending out a few long pulses at various intervals. it doesn't sound like anything on AM and sounds kind of like a mechanical ratchety sound on DSB -- zoomed in they look like this:

my guess is that this is a digital signal and that I need to find a plugin for SDR# that'll do DMR

e: currently listening to a bunch of old dudes on a repeater chatting about fuel injection. the air waves are fascinating

could be a lot of things but this is a very good resource for identifying signals:

https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Signal_Identification_Guide

also it seems your tuning is off by 20 KHz

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 8, 2021

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

whoops thanks for pointing that out, I fixed it in my post also

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mycomancy posted:

I'm far from an expert but I'm writing everything off. Gonna strip every cap, wire and tube out of this bitch and see if I can get her to power up.

well if you do that it won't work at all!!!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

rip to our silent key may he post in hell

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

grateful that we found this idiot hideout so we could all play beep boops and deedles with magic waves

:yeah:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

speaking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laYpGB1pWAc

traveling wave tubes are wack

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I just love how they "fixed" sync issues by writing each line twice. Idk how they do it now in software? does it figure out the sync?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

the russian invasion is doomed to fail

they're using baofengs

https://twitter.com/mil_in_ua/status/1497961913292001283?s=21

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hot openings in your area

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Try sigidwiki https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Signal_Identification_Guide

e: Something like this could be described as a Theremin concert: https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/SP-14_(XP)

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 20, 2022

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

oh wait is this just doing composite video over a type F connector (or bnc for the ones with bnc in)? so i just would need a dumb adapter?

yeah, wouldn't really make a lot of sense otherwise. RCA is a _terrible_ connector so pro gear doesn't use it much.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

can you aim those things at satellites by hand?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

what if you just ductape two baofengs together bing bong so simple

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PIC16 seems way overkill for this but then again nowadays people use whole-rear end ESP32's for simple stuff.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CB people idiots? naaaah

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hey neat i can see my house from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wanted to hop on some local 'peater nets but I lost the charger to my FT-60 :saddowns: