Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Jonny 290 posted:

sdr sticks require a little bit of Focus because they can do so much.

one weak point of them is they were basically designed as least-cost receivers for asian digital TV. Digital codecs don't care about distortion or overload because they have so much error correction, so the automatic and manual gain controls are very lacking.

Ideally if you want to use one of the rtl sdr "v3" sticks (which have built in shortwave functionality) on lower frequencies, you'd put a box that is a combo antenna matcher and attenuator in front of it, because it has no gain controls down on AM/shortwave. everything is full throttle. and as a result, since AM broadcast signals are like 10000x stronger than weak shortwave ones, the former just overloads and you hear local nazi sports talk radio every 10khz. They do very well when you have a preselector or attenuator ahead of them, between the SDR and the antenna.

I hate how long it took me to figure this out. "Why the gently caress am I hearing this signal way the hell over here".

You'll have to show us your rig for this now ;).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Stack Machine posted:

So speaking of super-cheap gear along the lines of RTL-SDR dongles, I just picked up a nanovna:

Here we see a capacitor putting on its inductor hat above 22MHz. I don't really have any one use planned for this but antenna tuning/SWR and a reasonable LCR meter are worth the price of admission, and I'm sure I'll be characterizing filters and amps with it before long.

Check out the NanoVNA Saver app (https://github.com/NanoVNA-Saver/nanovna-saver) it is a QoL for actually using the data.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

i was trying to check out the ISS flyover and the lovely app i was using completely poo poo the bed. i'm really salty about it, cause it maxed out at 54 degrees. there'll be another one on monday but it'll only be 19 degrees so might not be visible behind buildings

i mean, we didn't see it anyway, but it would've been nice to have had a better chance

The rig is still down unless it's a scheduled thing and they use the Russian radio. At least, I haven't seen any repairs on the cable in the last few EVAs.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

When I use a VNA, am I essentially radiating a CW signal at my sample points and measuring various parameters of the reflection, right?
And I am probably sweeping outside of my specific band(/license) I want, because I want to see where it is tuned.

So essentially the VNA is unintentionally radiating and this is bad. ?

My nanoVNA2 is prolly pretty low power, but sometimes I use the work $$$$$ VNA at like -10dB....

I'm guessing you'd be using a dummy load, so not really sure if there is concern there.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

c radio s: got my rebroadcaster code ported to golang rather than ruby. it runs quite well on the raspberry pi zero. it's not quite feature-complete yet (it doesn't actually write its state to the state file) but that's trivial to implement. i've spent the last few days tracking down a bug that was leading to duplicate processes being spawned

i had a goroutine that runs the play-the-stream command and then blocks until it exists. i was using cmd.Run() inside the goroutine. what happened was that in the time between the implicit cmd.Start and cmd.Wait(), the process's pid was still unset, so the reconciler and other code would think that we weren't broadcasting when we were. just needed to call cmd.Start() outside the goroutine (which blocks and sets pid when it returns) and then call cmd.Wait() in the goroutine. that blocks until complete, and after that i write to the "the command is terminated" channel and everything works

it sucked bc it worked perfectly on my server - it was only on the much slower raspberry pi zero that the delta between Start and Wait was observable

anyway that's done now. i also bit the bullet and moved the ui out of standard forms and into a js thing that just writes a blob of json state. it's basically a dumb little spa with no framework or anything like that beyond jquery and bootstrap lol. it works much better now.

Do you have this on a github/bitbucket or something? If you wanna share on the Discord instead of here, that is fine.

But, it sounds like you need a mutex lock over what you're doing and possibly using context. What you're experiencing shouldn't be a thing, but glad to hear you got it working!

Also, gently caress JS...

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

haha yeah i have mutexes for the state changing operations, that's why it was so fuckin confusing! the turnOn funcs were finishing and releasing their locks before the process had spawned and put the pid in the cmd struct

it's not public on github yet, i probably won't release it until i have a full "build a raspberry pi image" pipeline set up

Cool, let's shoot the poo poo on it on the discord for it then. Without seeing the code I can't really know why they would, but it's probably something that could be solved by using context.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Double posting, deal with it:

QST QST QST

Just a heads up to you ham nerds that AG0ON has an upcoming meeting on April 24th, 2022 at 1900 UTC (1500 Eastern).

More details will follow regarding where the meeting will be held and all that jazz.

If you have any topics that you'd like to see addressed during the meeting, please post them here or let me know on Discord.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

This is because 9 out of 10 you're going to hit limestone.

But this law is not really geared towards the individual, it's really there because we had such lovely code ordinances which it was just easier to require anybody doing work to justify their work instead of actually documenting where poo poo is.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Big Mackson posted:

any way for me to get a transverter for vhf and have this 1 in all setup so i can stop changing cables etc?

Something about this feels like a very not so friendly route.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

FCC site having issues, imagine me shocked.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

For scatter is there really ever a reason to not level the horizon in the same vein there really isn't a reason to not for EME?

Sure, you can change the degree and get more optimal of a connection, but if you're just starting out and using a digimode dedicated for that kind of work; would it not just be over optimization?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

Let me look in the junk shed this week

There is an XYL joke here that I'm not cool enough to come up with.