Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Does anyone have any tips for studying for the Extra exam? I have my General and passed that test easy, but the Extra is a motherfucker of a test. I have a STEM background (albeit in Biology) but a lot of those topics are impenetrable to me, like antenna theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Boiled Water posted:

Have any of you lovely hams found a handheld transceiver with a dial or knob for going through presets / scrolling through the frequencies?

The Yaesu FT-60 has knob control

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Progressive JPEG posted:

make sure it's on a hill or at least not at the bottom of a valley

i did this wrong last time

Lmao

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Achmed Jones posted:

lmao i got my game gear today and the tv tuner a few days ago

check this poo poo out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJGAdiV6_qc

When I was a wee lad in the Ozark Mountains at the tail end of the 20th century, I heard about this magical device called a Game Gear and it BLEW MY loving MIND that you could watch OTA TV with a hand held.

The irony that I'm sending this message on a smartphone while on the toilet is not lost on me.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
My wife found a Philco 40-165 at a thrift store today for $130. She liked the style and she sent me photos. It's shortwave capable and can also listen in on 160, 80, and 40 meters, so what the hell, told her to buy it and I'm gonna learn about restoring a radio that's only a few years younger than my grandmother!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I'm far from an expert but I'm writing everything off. Gonna strip every cap, wire and tube out of this bitch and see if I can get her to power up.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Heeyyyyyy I got that one in Tennessee! I left my SSTV receiver going while I was out running errands saw that, then wondered if it was a SAARS Goon.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Achmed Jones posted:

gently caress yeah that's perfect! i'll give it a shot and if i can't figure it out i'll hit up aliexpress

thanks man!

SNOTEL HAMWAN WINS AGAIN

Just tx some Trek

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Death to every and all HOAs.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

it's got a natural limit of 60-70 feet and they all want to dick wave by having their 40 meter yagis 1/2 wavelength above ground which means they need at least 70 to play ball.

loving Elmers

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

the 5btv adds 80 meters which is a bad band you should avoid, and the 6btv adds 30 meters which is only beep boops only. its a few feet longer too and that can be uglier to some people

Can you elaborate on the embolded?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

75/80m requires large antennas and often a good amplifier to have conversations. because of this, its population naturally self-selects to people that can put up a 135 foot long dipole at 50 feet up, or a 66 foot vertical with guy wires which means they probably own a home with a big lot, and are probably old racist boomers.

A few of them are kind and chill but imo theyre outnumbered 10:1 by bad grandpas. and you will never find a commie on there.

oh also its a big band for "nvis" which is the most overrated thing in the world, its a super situational propagation mode that the us military uses to eke communications over a hill, all the preppers read about it in their field manual pdfs, and are now going to buy a $700 antenna from some company that calls themselves "your tactical commo warehouse" and dream big about how they're gonna use their cool radio to call in airstrikes after race war begins

:stare:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Yeah just buy an FT60 new. Amateur radios hold a lot of value so a used one will either be faulty and cheap or perfectly functional and $20 less the MSRP. They aren't too expensive either.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Nooooooo I forgot about this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Pretty cool that my half-assed rig setup in my basement could jam a city's worth of Russian Baofeng-equiped soldiers.