Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my father in law (ex now I suppose) must be a ham man. he worked for tait for like a thousand years. they wanted to make him redundant at some stage but his redundancy was going to cost too much so they just kept him on lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
all of this is very interesting and intriguing but at the end of the day I have to ask myself.: do I really want to talk to other dudes on the radio and I just don’t know. which is a shame because the idea of setting up some kind of neighbourhood beacon of radio waves is somewhat appealing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol i just read about the zimbabwean dollar and in 2009 thatd be worth about 1 trillion zimbabwe dollars

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience...utm_name=iossmf

thought someone here might find this interesting 🤔

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tbh all of this is super interesting to me.. right up until the talking to people part.

my exs dad has been doing it for years. was with tait radios from very early days, and never once took a payrise lol. he was too expensive to make redundant too becasue of his length of service so he just stuck around until he was mega old

electronics poo poo with him was the best part of being married to my ex lol. my kids dont seem interested when I rock up to pick them up and im asking about what he's doing this time but they dont care.

anyway. i just rememebr whenever id pick up my now ex when she was 17 i could hear noises from his garage, and it was because he never shut the radio off.

im sure if i made word of it to him all sorts of poo poo would come out of the woodwork and into my house for me and his grandkids to use..

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk how you mega nerds have done it but im finally
concede that the EM spectrum beyond visible light probably exists and make the first moves toward reviving radio signals with my metal teeth.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

Sure, no problem. If you want to be an eagle scout about it, bury some 2" or so PVC with a couple drain holes facing downward every few feet, run a stringer line (hint: fishing line, ping pong ball and a vacuum cleaner) and pull it through. Or you can just direct bury and accept that you may need to replace it in 4-5 years. I've had buried runs for that long with no problems at all. I swear by Shireen coax; their RFC400 stuff is really good and half the price of Times Microwave LMR400. I bought a 1000 foot spool from them for $400 years ago and still have a couple hundred feet left, and i use it eeeeverywhere.

My current dipole is at the end of 80-ish feet of RFC400 transitioned into about 60 feet of RFC240 (lighter for the suspended run up to the feedpoint) and it works absolutely great. Here's who heard me after two contacts on 40m, on 5 watts of FT8 this sundown, and what the waterfall was looking like across 40. Coax loss isnt a huge thing down on HF.

Get the apex 25-35 feet up and you too can pull in the continent, if not the globe

fuckin sick as hell man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hopefully in far cry 7 there’s a dlc called jonny’s house and it’s an underground bunker and you can go down there and communicate with mfs across the globe