Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

what's the cheapest way to do ft8 in a backpack? one of the qrp-guys kits, a battery, and a wire over a tree branch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

word, thanks!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao its impossible to know less about this than me. i am the epitome of nerd with a general ticket that knows precisely jack and poo poo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i finally ordered myself a nanovna. i'm excited because it'll let me try out weird antennas to see what's possible without actually owning an hf transceiver

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

finally got to play with my nanovna. i learned two things

1. this thing is pretty cool
2. my na-771 kinda sucks :(

also, im kind of confused - the ic-705 has a bnc connector, and it's almost certainly female. but when i look at pictures, it looks like there's a post sticking out there. is there a plug in there or something?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ah cool, that solves it. thanks y'all!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

is ham software with a ui that involves actual thought processes even legal

the fcc technically allows it but bandcops will ride your rear end about it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i was trying to check out the ISS flyover and the lovely app i was using completely poo poo the bed. i'm really salty about it, cause it maxed out at 54 degrees. there'll be another one on monday but it'll only be 19 degrees so might not be visible behind buildings

i mean, we didn't see it anyway, but it would've been nice to have had a better chance

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

drunk mutt posted:

The rig is still down unless it's a scheduled thing and they use the Russian radio. At least, I haven't seen any repairs on the cable in the last few EVAs.

we weren't trying to talk to it, just see it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's cool as hell

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you got a link to the kit? i wanna check it out

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rad, thanks! that's what made me interested - i'm used to ham kits that are probably above my skill level (or more appropriately, i could do but i'd be frustrated and swearing half the time) so a cheap but cool looking kit where i don't care too much about the functionality sounds right up my alley. and it absolutely needs to be doable in an hour or so cause i can't leave everything laying around. that looks perfect

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

when you say ddos do you mean dos? bc it seems hard to run a bunch of radios all doing the thing at once

obv i haven't watched the video yet or id know the answer

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ok i have a pile of 16 gauge stranded wire and i want to turn it into a few antennas. can anyone recommend a specific crimp tool as being good? everything on amazon seems to be weird no name brands and id prefer to have something decent, even if it's not fancy

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh jeeze i wrote that post a times times and i guess deleted that i'm talking about SMA. i'll be attaching a male connector - the connector on my SDR dongle is SMA-F

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh word, i have some SMA to BNC adapters, so that might make sense to do. if it's terrible and frustrating i'm all about skipping it though

any specific brands you recommend, or should i just get the cheapest BNC (or 259, i can pick that up too if it's a good idea) crimp tool and call it good?

i almost bought an IC-705 today for the thousandth time. eventually i'll do it. if i ever run into a site that has something like splitit set up where i can spread it out without putting it directly on my credit card or getting a new line of credit, it's over. and tbh it's not unlikely i'll just go for it before then. mostly i wanna make sure that i'm set up to have ears on it, which is a bit part of me finally loving with building stuff for my SDR

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

word, thanks for that - i will try to wait. it's less an issue of me buying one before then and more an issue of me buying something else before than that more or less fills the need

i took my HT, a baofeng, out over the weekend and had a good time. turns out that the mic adapter doesn't work. it's dumb but i'm basically using that as an excuse to shop for a new HT. originally I wanted to get a kenwood d72 to play with satellites but the dang thing's discontinued and absolutely not available anywhere. so i thought ok, whatever, ill look into a radio that can do triband or a digital mode - something that's more than a quality/ergonomics upgrade over the baofeng. turns out that the d74 is both discontinued and selling for hundreds above MSRP even for used ones, so that's out

the baofeng sucks to configure, but it works fine to jam some stuff in with chirp and use, so i don't really want to replace it with a 2m/70cm that doesn't add _something_ to play with but prices seem absolutely insane right now. i read online that the d74 might come back once the chip shortages are resolved, but even so it's a bit of a bummer.

it really looks like i'm gonna end up buying a wouxun or similar triband just 'cause that's the only thing I can actually get my hands on that has interesting features. unfortunately the tribanders do basically 2m+70cm+(6m or 1.25m) so i can't get two novel bands in one radio. i don't think they make a tribander with dmr, either. and of course i need to get icom or kenwood if i want d-star. but kenwood only has one ht in production, and it (k20a) is completely uninteresting to me; all of icoms current HTs were pretty underwhelming last i looked. i have a hard time imagining anyone uses YSF, and yaesu doesn't make triband HTs right now, so that seems like the wrong way to go, too.

this is all to say: got any recommendations?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Thanks for the advice! I just ordered an anytone 878uvii plus, it's gonna be sick

I'm considering getting a hotspot. I already have a raspberry pi I could put a hat on. Even better would be being able to get a USB version that I could plug into my unraid server to set up a docker container with (I already have a bridge set up so I can run netops from my computer using a thumbdv so I'm familiar-ish with the software stack). Any recs on that front, or should I just grab a cheap hat and see what happens?

the id51 looks pretty cool, too - i'll keep that in mind if i can find a deal on a used one

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ooh dv4mini and an antenna might be the thing i want, i'll have to do some more reading

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao i ordered a hotspot hat for like $40 but it turns out i can hit a local repeater from inside my house. dmr fuckin rules, the anytone 878uvii plus rules

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i got my tech and general online - there's been great online testing infra basically since the start of the pandemic

iirc maybe you're canadian though, idk if that's available for canadian exams but it'd be a real bummer if it weren't

e: if you're in the states, this study guide is good and free. read it (it'll take maybe an hour) and do some practice problems on ham-study.org. you'll be ready for tech in like 2 hours

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 26, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also make that two repeaters. unfortunately neither is hooked up to brandmeister, but maybe i can find one that is. just need to program a big dumb scan list and see what pops out i guess

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

for the trip, do any of y'all know anything about the cactus intertie? it seems like it could be really cool or a terrible old boys club

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

Have any of you lovely hams found a handheld transceiver with a dial or knob for going through presets / scrolling through the frequencies?

my anytone 878uvii has this; i expect their other DMR radios do too since it's basically the same thing over and over with slight tweaks

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PSA: .radio domains are 25 euros a year if you're registering your callsign. There are a few other ways to get the ~90% discount, but this is the one I care about

You need to go through register.radio to get the discount - all the other registrars i checked like Gandi only sell for the full-price 200-something euros/year.

register.radio makes you fill in your contact info for the various WHOIS contacts, but don't expose that information after registering - I emailed to ask because I didn't see a whois privacy thing during checkout.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

goddammit my hotspot hat arrived and i have to remove a tiny rear end SMD resistor for it to work on a pi4. i tried it on my old pi1 and the wifi is hosed up if i use the pistar image. haven't tried connected to ethernet yet, but that's not really a long term solution for me unfortunately

i'm very disappointed.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

well, i'm gonna try it, but while i've done SMD before it's way easier in my experience to solder than ti unsolder this kinda stuff. maybe i can find some braid that'll help though. i'll give it a shot but it'll be a miracle if it works afterwards

any idea on if i should bridge or leave the short? i imagine the answer is bridge, but the broken-english instructions just said remove...

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Holy poo poo, that worked. I just pulled the little fucker off and it booted!

Thanks a million, dude. Today has been Rough (unrelated to the hotspot being broken-ish) and getting a little dumb ham radio win like that really feels good right about now.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol well it looks like it doesn't actually work - once i found a modem type that could successfully reset, MMDVM_host still can't read the firmware and such from it

still feel good that i got it to boot tho. maybe i'll give it a shot on the old rpi1 tomorrow

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

got my ed fong rollup today

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sure thing. he's also published how to build em, ill dig up the article too

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

DBJ-1 article: https://edsantennas.weebly.com/uploads/2/9/3/5/29358461/dbj-1_qst.pdf

DBJ-2 article (this is the one i bought): https://edsantennas.weebly.com/uploads/2/9/3/5/29358461/dbj-2_qst.pdf

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

HF update: it occurs to me that if i get permanent WFH, there's a reasonable chance that i'll move into a place where i can put up an antenna, even if it's stealth mode on top of the roof or something. and if that's the case, a QRP radio would still be cool but i'd probably go for a 7300 first

i tell myself this to keep myself from blowing the bonuses i got today (and then some) on a 705

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

word. car radio stuff is almost certainly not gonna be for me, but who knows with the future holds. fingers crossed for wfh and a place with room and a roof that i can afford

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

like, i CAN drive but i hate it because i'm colorblind and have no depth perception. driving safely is a much more difficult and focused thing for me cause it is way harder for me to tell the difference between "traffic slowed a little" and "traffic stopped, you better slam on the breaks right now". basically if there's any traffic at all i'm white knuckling it. i miss the days when my eyes were just as hosed but i didn't realize how much it effected me

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

somebody at work emailed Kenwood, and the CS person told them that there should be a D72A replacement announcement in Q2 2022. get hyped

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also somebody at work from HR emailed me and it turns out i can work from home forever. this means i can move someplace where i can have a real radio and a desk and stuff. i'm pretty fuckin stoked

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you know of any osx software that'll do the needful? a rec for a noaa sat tracker would also be dope

you also need a RHCP antenna (not related to the band that is bad and i will die on this hill) right?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dang i just got another spot bonus, the world really wants me to get a hf radio

dear world, now isnt a good time for me to make this decision but please keep giving me bonuses while i figure it out, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sweet i won my auction for my 70s radio and immediately put in a bid for an rca victor xf-4. gotta have that 50s radio too

you know, for the <1000 square foot apartment that has two adults, a kid, and a dog