Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
:siren: DO NOT POST BALLOTS IN THIS THREAD :siren:

2020 has come to an end, and it was a hell of a difficult year. Let's reminisce about the year that was with the 2020 Year End MMA Awards.

Google Form should be here - https://forms.gle/q7MU8E2BuLfHN8kH9

If I didn't send the correct version, let me know and I'll get that fixed ASAP.

:siren: Voting ends 11:59PM Pacific Time on January 15th :siren:

I will try to get the results up on the 16th, but you never know :shrug:

Anyway, let's talk about nominees

Review what's been suggested already here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908602

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
i guess Mekchu already made a thing, but I hate only having one option for a category, so whatever

For content:

Regarding submission of the year, I'm torn regarding AJ McKee's neck crank over Darrion Caldwell. I love unique subs, and this isn't some weird thing hit on a z-league dude like I often get hyped about. Caldwell is a legit good fighter. However, of his 4 losses, 2 are via guillotine and 1 is this neck crank. Caldwell loves to keep his neck in bad spots, like, a lot.

I'm not sure how much that takes away from how cool and good AJ's sub was, in a vacuum.

I also really liked Montserrat Ruiz's scarfhold keylock because I love anyone's scarfhold submission.

I'm also giving strong consideration to Maurice Greene's sub over Gian Villante (too fat)

My personal politics can't allow me to pick what might be the actual best sub, Hermanson's heel hook over Gastelum, because I like Kelvin too much :saddowns:

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 2, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Joaquim Buckley's jumping kick KO shouldn't be KO of the year because it was some B-spamming bullshit that got lucky and landed on a nobody.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Chris Lee's entire 2020 should be considered for Judging Incompetence

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Chris Lee's entire 2020 should be considered for Judging Incompetence

What were his greatest hits, just to refresh everyone's memory?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

What were his greatest hits, just to refresh everyone's memory?

Most egregious is when he gave Paul Felder 3 rounds vs RDA back in November, compared to the other 2 judges who had it a 50-45 clean sweep for RDA

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

im gonna put out Ferguson vs Nurmagomedov attempt #5 for UFC 249 as worst booking decision

look at all it hath wrought

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

List of the biggest betting upsets of the year:

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/lists/2020-10-biggest-upsets-mma-ufc-bellator-rizin-ksw

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

I don't know how comfortable I am about nominating it, but thinking about how the Walt Harris comeback fight was 99% promoted around "did you know his step daughter was murdered", that's consideration for I guess "worst fight hype"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

I don't know how comfortable I am about nominating it, but thinking about how the Walt Harris comeback fight was 99% promoted around "did you know his step daughter was murdered", that's consideration for I guess "worst fight hype"

the fact that you're not comfortable nominating it is pretty good evidence that it was extremely bad hype. I feel uncomfortable remembering it, so I'll probably vote for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

the fact that you're not comfortable nominating it is pretty good evidence that it was extremely bad hype. I feel uncomfortable remembering it, so I'll probably vote for it.

it's just weird to have that, and then at number 2 (lol), aljo sterling say he's coming for yan's rear end, he's coming all up in that rear end