Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What of the announced new shows are you most excited about?
This poll is closed.
Uzumaki 29 33.33%
Fena Pirate Princess 13 14.94%
That Blade Runner Thing 5 5.75%
Trick Question: They're all bad 14 16.09%
Please just rerun Cowboy Bebop 26 29.89%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Trying to rush through the story seems like an odd choice since it wasn't exactly a long series. Like they probably could have fit everything into just three seasons and do everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

I haven't been watching it but from reading articles it seems like the second season of The Promised Neverland has been a huge mess.

Yeah my youtube recommends have been chock full of anime youtube people ready to talk about how bad it is so I'm extremely anxious about seeing it.

Maybe it won't be as bad as the hyperbole machine is making it seem but regardless this only serves to reinforce my theory that season 1 could be a self-contained story (with an open ending) and still be one of the greatest animes I've ever seen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dexo posted:

wait.

lmao that they'd just drop that hot spoiler in promo material.

That’s not a promo for the second season but an escape room. Based on season 1 as well

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I guess it all depends on whether or not it becomes obvious that there's stuff missing for people who haven't read the manga.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ray looks like he's about to 360 noscope me

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I'm so happy that promo picture exists because every time I scroll over to it I want to burst out laughing.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Sucks that Season 2 is apparently disappointing because putting a bunch of lethal weapons into the hands of children is an interesting direction to take. I'm gonna guess that Emma either has the worst time adjusting or is popping off like a little Alvin York. Or both.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Emma gonna give it to ya
gently caress waiting for season 2 on your own
Emma gonna deliver ya
Knock knock, open up the door it's real
With the non-stop pop-pop of stainless steel

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman
I have been trying to follow the Season 2 shenanigans and it appears “Original Scenario” translates to “Skip several volumes worth of content and enter warp speed to the final act”.

There were still some scenes that were fun to see animated, but so much content is either being streamlined or skipped over completely. I’m still curious to see where the show goes, but I don’t quite know what to make of things.

As an aside, everyone should check out the manga if you have not already done so.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Reminder. New schedule starts tomorrow:

quote:

12:00 AM - Dragon Ball Super

12:30 AM - Attack on Titan: The Final Season

1:00 AM - Food Wars!

1:30 AM - Fire Force

2:00 AM - Black Clover

2:30 AM - SSSS.Gridman

3:00 AM - Naruto Shippuden

3:30 AM - Demon Slayer

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Don't you mean Fire Foce? :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I said I’d give a recap of the Food Wars OVA, so here we go:

First, some context. Shokugeki no Souma (the original Japanese title for Food Wars) has five OVA episodes. Most of these are just assorted filler nonsense, but for some reason the fourth one is actually pivotal to the story! I don’t know if they just ripped out an episode that was supposed to be in the series proper and turned it into an OVA, but it’s still baffling. The stuff covered in this OVA is basically the entire foundation for the rest of the season, it’s nuts. And, probably due to weird licensing issues, I can find no evidence that it was ever dubbed, so it’s not getting shown on Toonami any time soon.

To be fair, they do cover… some of it at the start of the first episode in a rather inelegant fashion, but you’re still going to miss a ton. Most of the important stuff from the OVA is just character introductions, but I’ll go over the whole thing so you don’t feel any desire to watch an OVA only available in rather lovely video quality via DVD rips. :filez:

Basically, after the stagiaire arc, the members of the dorm come back and find that Souma has been utterly buried in Food War challenge letters, to the point he starts taking people on two-at-a-time (which involves making two dishes at a time, natch). He wins, of course. As he is wrapping up DOUBLE COOKING ACTION, a strange girl comes up and samples one of his dishes, proclaims it delicious, and then bounces. She looks like this:

She’s got a weird cat thing going on, remember her for later. Anyway, after she leaves, Megumi notices Isshiki, their dormmate and the seventh seat of the Elite Ten, is there watching along with Erina, Eizan The Bizarrely Dubbed, and two people we’ve never seen before literally cloaked in shadow.

Ominous. Afterwards, the headmaster, Erina’s grandfather Senzaemon, is meeting in some weird council full of old people that don’t actually matter to the story. They discuss the “Leaf Hunt Meeting,” which Senzaemon did some light poster design for. That’s not a joke. They’re mainly there to talk about the poster. But they also discuss what the “Leaf Hunt Meeting” actually is in the process. It’s basically a chance for certain select first year students to meet the Elite Ten face to face. Which doesn’t sound like much, but we only know about three of them so far, so it’s a lot.

After that, we cut to Souma grilling mackerel for the dorm plus Mito Ikumi, the meat girl. Also he covers a bunch of the mackerel in his trademark Weird poo poo like maple syrup and chocolate sauce. Then Isshiki shows up in his naked apron and tells Megumi and Souma they’re invited to the Leaf Hunt Meeting because they made it past the preliminaries in the Autumn Election, the big tournament arc last season. Megumi is understandably worried that they’re going to be tested in some way and get expelled for failure because Totsuki is awful, but Isshiki says nah, it’s just a friendly meeting. Souma, on the other hand, is excited because he’s just going to loving immediately challenge one of them to a Food War for their seat.

The other invited first-years are Takumi (whose brother Isami is fat again because it isn’t summer anymore), Alice, her manservant Kurokiba, Erina’s ladyservant Hisako, Mimasaka the copy stalker guy from Season 2, and Akira the Spice Guy. All of these people loving hate each other and immediately start poo poo the instant they arrive. Also, Erina, despite being an Elite Ten member, is there with the first-years. Erina is being a tsundere about thanking Souma for trading some shoujo manga for a taste test earlier, naturally. Also, because they were both on the same restaurant during stagiaire, Hisako and Souma are friends now. Eventually, the Elite Ten arrive.

Yep, cat girl was part of the Elite Ten, go figure. Also, if you’re worried about keeping track of the seven new characters introduced here, I’ll let you in on a secret (minor spoilers): Only Kuga, Rindou, and Eishi are all that important. Anyway, Kuga immediately complains about the meeting being pointless, leading to an argument with Nene where he asks if she’s on her period (really), leading to a further argument with Eizan, leading to both of them yelling at Isshiki when he tries to break it up. Basically:

Arist posted:

All of these people loving hate each other and immediately start poo poo the instant they arrive.

Eishi calls out Souma, Takumi, and Mimasaka, but immediately turns into an anxious wreck (same) when he brings up the trouble they caused for him by turning their matches in the Autumn Election into Food Wars. Rindou cheers him up and then Souma, in classic Souma fashion, does his thing and straight up goes “I’d like to join the Elite Ten right now, FIGHT ME.” He gets shot down because he’s a loving small fry and no one has the time or energy to deal with him (because they’re all scheming to take out each other). Kuga basically castigates him for being full of himself and not realizing the weight one of them accepting the challenge would carry. Isshiki and Eishi also do their part to explain the power a seat can hold and how it allows one to grow as a chef. Then, Momo (who specializes in confectionary) brings out the sweets after complaining about it being “a pain in the rear end.”

They look absurd and everyone gets naked when they taste them. After tasting them Kuga gets all smug and continues to insult Souma, but finishes off by saying “If you’re better than me at cooking literally anything I’ll accept your challenge.” And then there’s a great gag where Nene just says “height” because Kuga is short. After that, the meeting ends, and Souma, despite knowing he’s not capable of reaching the Elite Ten at the moment, resolves to keep progressing.

And… that’s the OVA! This was more than I expected to write, but it ended up being denser than I remembered.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

In true Food Wars fashion that both looks silly and yet I also really wanna loving eat one right now

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
PREVIOUSLY, ON TOONAMI

Cosmo Samurai - We took the fight to the space pirates, but found out that they really are Space Pirates, because the raid boss is loving Kraid! Also, I guess we ran out of budget when we rebuilt TOM, because the doctors had to give him hard plastic eyes instead of something cooler. Try not to stare directly at them.

Attack on Titan - Erin cracks open a cold one with the boys, and by "a cold one" I mean "the Warhammer Titan", and by "the boys" I mean "he uses the Jaw Titan as an unwilling church key". It was pretty hosed up, and yet it managed to not be the most unsettling display of unchecked murderlust of the week.

Assassination Classroom - Nagisa managed to utilize the Mortal Draw to defeat our psychotic ex-instructor! And nobody died from Captain Trips, because it turned out that the hired hitmen just infected the class with Montezuma's Revenge because they weren't as murderously unhinged as he was. All's well that ends well.

Fire Force - Caleb and Mr. Burns are both missing an eye because they both looked at the same interdimensional anomaly at the same time, it turns out. Also, the Church of the First Flame was founded by a Templar skinwalker masquerading as the first Fire Pope, that kinda came up in conversation. Anyway, it's looking like the Shinra Company is plotting to rub out Waldo because he knows too much.

Black Clover Episode 138: Skullcrusher Mountain '84 - Gregor Clegane discovers that the Tongue of the Serpent runs directly underneath the remnants of the Derbin clan's marijuana plantation.

S4 Gridman - You know, I debated just putting the music video for "Once in a Lifetime" here and letting that be that, but instead I'm going to at least try to summarize what the gently caress happened by saying that we've actually been watching Season 3 of The Big O, and also our primary antagonist up to this point is also God? Maybe? I'm not even entirely sure if she even knows that.

Food Wars - Our boy Souma over here is attending Honoji Academy Hell's Kitchen while his dad gets milk from Europe. There was more to it than that, but honestly, it was all just dumbass school ranking bullshit or whatever. The important part is that this is a show where I could make sexual innuendoes until the sun comes up and I wouldn't get in trouble for it because Food Wars arguably shows less restraint in making those comments than I would. t i t t i e s Let's now go to a pre-taped segment with our "meat on the street" reporter Arist, who's gonna recap what happened in some plot-relevant OVA that we won't actually be watching!

Arist posted:

I said I’d give a recap of the Food Wars OVA, so here we go:

They look absurd and everyone gets naked when they taste them.
That's wonderful.

FOOD WARS RETURNS TONIGHT @ 0100

It has been 9 weeks since Cowboy Bebop was last on Toonami

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://cytu.be/r/goonami

HELLO CHILDREN

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am ready for new Food Wars :getin:

I made a fancy dinner to commemorate it

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It looks delicious. Don't eat it all at once though!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
And remember to wear clothing that you don't mind losing, in the event a foodgasm tears them all away

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

oh snap, I forgot to mention that tonight's the end of Cosmo Samurai

e: WE'VE HACKED THE GIBSON

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
That existed

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Lol, I really thought they were gonna kill Akuji. It's non-canon, after all.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Isn't Sara just a hologram? How was she locked up?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Isn't Sara just a hologram? How was she locked up?

It was a holographic cage, DUH

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny how quickly they just start clowning on Hit after all the goddamn buildup he had before.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Did you see Jiren glare at the fight happening in front of him and do nothing else?

He's so cool

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Is this guy Dragon Ball Spider-Man?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I forgot about the vuvuzela, lmao

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
:lol: Calling Goku and Hit the greatest tag team in the universe. Vegeta is seething.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kind of funny how quickly they just start clowning on Hit after all the goddamn buildup he had before.

Poor guy suffered the fate of all DB characters who team up with the heroes. Poor guy will be hanging out with Piccolo in a few years.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Rhonne posted:

:lol: Calling Goku and Hit the greatest tag team in the universe. Vegeta is seething.
Just throwing poo poo in the locker room shouting "DOES THE ASSASSIN KNOW HOW TO PERFORM THE FUSION DANCE WITH KAKAROT?! I DON'T THINK SO."

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Lesnar ain't lookin' too good

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Not-so-armored titan there

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Welp mission complete I'm sure nothing bad will happen now

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Argus Zant posted:

Lesnar ain't lookin' too good

Boy's got a glass jaw.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

To the air blimp

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Ha ha ha, look at the cowards retreat!- Says a random soldier from Ground Zero of the nuke

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Um, why can't you kill him at this point? Isn't Pacman-ing up Titan powers your end goal, Eren?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you've got ammo left just start shooting randomly!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Um, why can't you kill him at this point? Isn't Pacman-ing up Titan powers your end goal, Eren?
He's just about hit his limit for the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

you guys are lucky as poo poo the Marlians don't seem to have any mortar tubes around here, because i cannot imagine it being at all difficult to smack that zeppelin with a few shells when it's flying that low

e: though on the other hand, I don't think you can set mortar shells for timed detonation like you can with artillery shells, so it might not matter